Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
According to Elaine, you can eat bacon once a week, unless you can find it without any added sugars, in which case you can eat it as often as you like. I think Organic Valley makes a sugar free uncured bacon (but read the ingredients list before you go buying up tons of it). I had stopped bacon since supposedly pork causes cancer, but it being one of the few meats ds will eat, I'm thinking of buying it again myself.
I think...I can't remember if it's Applegate Farms or Diestel or maybe someone else entirely, but they make a sugarless turkey bacon. It might have honey but I distinctly remember no sugar, because I used to eat it.

DH tells me that I'm mistaken about the brand. I'll try to figure out what it is, I know we buy it at Whole Foods.
#242 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 PM

Why do people use powdered yogurt starters to make yogurt instead of using a commercial yogurt? Are there advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks chasmyn for answering this elsewhere! Can you use herbs for roasting meats on SCD? Cinnamon in homemade applesauce?
#243 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom
Why do people use powdered yogurt starters to make yogurt instead of using a commercial yogurt? Are there advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks chasmyn for answering this elsewhere! Can you use herbs for roasting meats on SCD? Cinnamon in homemade applesauce?
I use powdered starter mainly because I was having the comercial yogurt go bad before I used it up and then I never had the good stuff on hand when I needed it. This is just easier.

Nearly all herbs are legal on scd. Cinnamon is legal. Check out the legal/illegal list on breakingtheviciouscycle.org (?) for specific ones. I know that fenugreek isn't legal for example.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#244 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
I think...I can't remember if it's Applegate Farms or Diestel or maybe someone else entirely, but they make a sugarless turkey bacon. It might have honey but I distinctly remember no sugar, because I used to eat it.

DH tells me that I'm mistaken about the brand. I'll try to figure out what it is, I know we buy it at Whole Foods.
I have a bunch of applegate farms turkey bacon in my freezer. It isn't legal. It is very yummy though and I wish I could eat it. Pork just doesn't agree with me at all. I miss bacon.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#245 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Someone local to me just posted a notice about having cp. What are your thoughts on exposing dd?

She is 2.5 We've been healing for only 3 months. She tends to have skin things so I'm worried that it will be particularly bad for her so younger is probably better than older. I'm hoping to be pg before too long and would rather she not have it while I am pg or have an infant in the house.
Well, we exposed both boys this winter. Finally after 4 exposures , they both got it. For us, it was cake. My older son just turned 4 and my lil' guy was 15m. My lil' guy was covered head to toe and was absolutely positively cheerful and my 4 yr old ended up w/ONE SPOT. We did a blood draw for something else and tested his titers for poops and giggles, and he is evidentally immune

Our experience, I know that kids w/immune problems can get a worse (or downright dangerous) case, but I knew my kids were quite healthy despite the impaired immune function.

hth
Amy
#246 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:

We use progurt, and I really love it ('bout to order more in fact). And we have had great experience w/it--it is always a very very tart yogurt. In fact, it is downright inedible w/o raspberries and honey. I know Jane had a bottle that did nothing to her yogurt, but that has not been my experience.

We also can't do dairy, so I need a cow free starter for my goat yogurt--and white egret farm never processed my order nor returned my phone call. :
#247 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Jane's back, so you ladies start behaving yourselves.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#248 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Question for you HTG/NT Mamas (especially gluten-free ones),
I am slowly incorporating NT recipes into our SCD lives with 2 dds allergic/reactive to wheat and want to try one of the breads. Should I start w/trying to make the Sourdough recipe in the book or should I get some millet and try that? Any thoughts?
#249 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
JaneS has a yummy cashew butter bread/cake recipe that makes a bread suitable for sandwiches. I even used it to make grilled cheese and it turned out all right.
Does anyone have a link for this? I keep hearing about it but can't find it!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#250 of 770 Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 PM

SCD Chefs link
#251 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Question for you HTG/NT Mamas (especially gluten-free ones),
I am slowly incorporating NT recipes into our SCD lives with 2 dds allergic/reactive to wheat and want to try one of the breads. Should I start w/trying to make the Sourdough recipe in the book or should I get some millet and try that? Any thoughts?
I made the sourdough with rye and spelt. It came out hard like a rock. However, my DD had no bad reactions to it while she did to spelt muffins. You might want to take Peptizyde before eating it, it breaks down gluten. Or try gluten-free grains but they don't hold together as well as gluten grains.
I'm also wonderiong if anyone is using buckwheat or millet with success? Also, quinoa is supposed to be good for nursing mamas, but I have no idea what to make with it.
#252 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience w. using breastmilk to help an older child who has Crohn's disease? My dd (age 8.5) was diagnosed just a month ago, spent a week in the hospital, and has now been on the SC diet (and a lot of meds) for two weeks, and, thankfully, her lab markers (ESR and CRP) are within the normal range, so it shows we're doing something right! We have an infant, and I'm wondering if mommy milk put into a smoothie or something might help her immune system?

When I asked this on Pecanbread, one woman said that I couldn't use the breastmilk as is b/c liquid milk is prohibited. Do you think Elaine really meant that to include breastmilk?!?! No one else answered, and I realized that THIS was the right list to ask this on!

Any ideas?! Thanks!

Mama to four great girls: 14 , 12 , 7 and 4
#253 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglife
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience w. using breastmilk to help an older child who has Crohn's disease? My dd (age 8.5) was diagnosed just a month ago, spent a week in the hospital, and has now been on the SC diet (and a lot of meds) for two weeks, and, thankfully, her lab markers (ESR and CRP) are within the normal range, so it shows we're doing something right! We have an infant, and I'm wondering if mommy milk put into a smoothie or something might help her immune system?

When I asked this on Pecanbread, one woman said that I couldn't use the breastmilk as is b/c liquid milk is prohibited. Do you think Elaine really meant that to include breastmilk?!?! No one else answered, and I realized that THIS was the right list to ask this on!

Any ideas?! Thanks!
I would think BM would be just fine for your DD. It's totally different than cow or goat milk. I personally haven't been too impressed with some of the answers I've received on the pecanbread yahoo group for various questions--I think they are so focused on following the exact specifics of the diet they don't even stop to consider anything that even slightly contradicts the letter of the diet...JMO though.
#254 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 03:41 PM

Is it REALLY important to get the book written by Gottschall before I start the SC diet?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#255 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe
Is it REALLY important to get the book written by Gottschall before I start the SC diet?
No, you can start the diet right away while doing some research on pecanbread, but it is a good resource to have, especially for recipes and such.
#256 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Jane's back, so you ladies start behaving yourselves.
the cat's out of the bag... I can't lurk in peace!
#257 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Lurk???? You need to post, post, post. Our guts are depending on you!

A raw milk question: I found an awesome source & sometimes freeze some. I just used my 1/2 defrosted milk to make yogurt. It looks like it has seperated - - there's a thin layer of butter yellow on top. Will this turn out?
#258 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
A raw milk question: I found an awesome source & sometimes freeze some. I just used my 1/2 defrosted milk to make yogurt. It looks like it has seperated - - there's a thin layer of butter yellow on top. Will this turn out?
It should be fine. The bigger issue I have with frozen milk is that if you use it as you defrost it, the frozen middle part ends up being skim milk. Usually most of the cream has risen to the top by the time I freeze it and then it defrfosts around the sides, top, and bottom and leaves a fat-free frozen piece in the middle.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#259 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
It's just as well because I sent water kefir grains to some of these ladies and the whole tribe was showing up drunk on kefir hooch. Annikate kept showing up delirious from lack of sleep. Bestbirths has sorely tempted everyone with illegal foods. And MT has been generally cantankerous. The thread had to get chopped in pieces by the moderator. I'm surprised it's still here, but welcome back. How are your vitamin D levels?

#260 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It's just as well because I sent water kefir grains to some of these ladies and the whole tribe was showing up drunk on kefir hooch.
Well, not drinking hooch, but super yummy lemonade. Good I haven't officially started SCD.

So after my last yogurt debacle, I am making more. Now this is majorly separated, lots of liquid on top. No major heating issues, so not really sure what the problem is. I haven't opened it up because I am still hoping to salvage it. Thoughts?
#261 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
It's just as well because I sent water kefir grains to some of these ladies and the whole tribe was showing up drunk on kefir hooch. Annikate kept showing up delirious from lack of sleep. Bestbirths has sorely tempted everyone with illegal foods. And MT has been generally cantankerous. The thread had to get chopped in pieces by the moderator. I'm surprised it's still here, but welcome back. How are your vitamin D levels?
#262 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I use powdered starter mainly because I was having the comercial yogurt go bad before I used it up and then I never had the good stuff on hand when I needed it. This is just easier.

Nearly all herbs are legal on scd. Cinnamon is legal. Check out the legal/illegal list on breakingtheviciouscycle.org (?) for specific ones. I know that fenugreek isn't legal for example.
Pattyla - Thank you and feeling pretty dumb over here. Sorry. I forgot that herbs were listed on the legal/illegal list but I think I still would have been wondering if they could be used in the introduction.

I haven't made yogurt yet. (To anyone who wishes to reply) Would you tell me your favorite starter and why you like it? Does tartness of the yogurt come from the starter or how long it is left to culture? I could also use some of the yogurt I just made to start the next batch? Is that correct?

Thank you!
#263 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't made yogurt yet. (To anyone who wishes to reply) Would you tell me your favorite starter and why you like it? Does tartness of the yogurt come from the starter or how long it is left to culture? I could also use some of the yogurt I just made to start the next batch? Is that correct?

Thank you!
Yogourmet. Good, consistent, good #s of bacteria. Tartness depends on how long it is left to culture.

#264 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

:So DH and I are starting to think we have dairy and possibly egg and maybe even nut sensitivities.

I could cry.

I cannot possibly do SCD without these three foods, can I? I certainly don't want to.

So I'm seeking a good naturopath to help us dx. Can you ladies recommend what to ask, what tests are best, etc?

I'm just so sad about this. Pretty soon all I'll be eating is meat, veggies and fruit. Sigh.:
#265 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I could also use some of the yogurt I just made to start the next batch? Is that correct?
If you're adhering to the SCD then you can't use your own to start a new batch. Something about the certain strains of bacteria. This site tells why.
#266 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 PM

I found it and thought I'd copy/paste it here in case anyone else is wondering. Thanks for the link.

Why can't I use the yoghurt I have made as a starter for the next batch?This would be a bad practice, the commercial yoghurt or starter powder we use as a starter has been produced under tightly controlled production methods and should not contain undesirable strains. If we use the yoghurt that we have produced with each generation other strains are likely to contaminate it and the existing bacteria can also mutate to undesirable strains
#267 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
:So DH and I are starting to think we have dairy and possibly egg and maybe even nut sensitivities.
Oh mama, I hear you. We have nut sensitivities, and I personally am sensitive to dairy. We can only eat eggs for one meal a day due to DH's digestive problems with them. Needless to say we are not doing SCD at the moment. I think I'd die without potatoes right now since winter squash in unavailable.
#268 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the welcome!
D levels are not so high, it rained a lot. :

We had fun though! But DS got some weird spots... I have no idea what they are!! Seems to be smaller than bug bites, although there were some mosquitos around but several in his diaper area which I know cannot be bites. Some have a bit of a head, again unlike a bug bite... somewhat itchy but not too bad. Any thoughts?

He's had shellfish before so I didn't think they were hives from that (he didn't eat much, we gave him nightmares from lobster night. Everything else he ate was what he always eats (unless DH's family fed him illegals.)
#269 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
It should be fine. The bigger issue I have with frozen milk is that if you use it as you defrost it, the frozen middle part ends up being skim milk. Usually most of the cream has risen to the top by the time I freeze it and then it defrfosts around the sides, top, and bottom and leaves a fat-free frozen piece in the middle.
If you remember to shake while freezing it helps this.
#270 of 770 Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
We use progurt, and I really love it ('bout to order more in fact). And we have had great experience w/it--it is always a very very tart yogurt. In fact, it is downright inedible w/o raspberries and honey. I know Jane had a bottle that did nothing to her yogurt, but that has not been my experience.

We also can't do dairy, so I need a cow free starter for my goat yogurt--and white egret farm never processed my order nor returned my phone call. :
I like Progurt but find that I need to use more than 1/4 tsp. per 2 qts or use a bit of last batch as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page