Wow, *I* get to start this thread, too??? :-D

It's June!!! Finally a new thread :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only way I know it's a new month is because somebody always starts a new HTGT thread.

Anybody have any comments about this:

The last 3 days dd1 has had a semi-formed poopy. Yipeee! (This has only happened a few times in her short little life.) I have been out of CLO for her and just today started it again. Well, she had a very mushy poopy again. Is this a result of the CLO?
#3 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM

subb'ing

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#4 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM

annikate--I don't why the CLO would cause mushy poops, but who knows? Sorry, I'm not much help!

I'm re-posting this from the May thread cuz I still need answers...

"Can teething cause an eczema flare-up? I wonder if it is possible that the teething and not the goat yogurt is causing the flare-up. (Side note: now I'm not even sure if it is eczema or not. It is more little red bumps so maybe it is the yeast rash again, although the colloidal silver I sprayed on this morning appears to have made it worse. Now DD's poor little butt crack is bright red--I don't think I've ever seen it that red before.)

Anyone know how much evening primrose oil I should be taking to help with DD's eczema?

And can sunlight make DD's eczema worse? I've been trying to get some sun on her because I read the Vitamin D can help with eczema but her face always looks worse after she gets some sun (and she's not getting burned).

What are common symptoms of teething, anyway? The only thing DD's been doing differently is having trouble going to sleep at night. She hasn't been cranky or anything (yet)."
#5 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
What are common symptoms of teething, anyway? The only thing DD's been doing differently is having trouble going to sleep at night. She hasn't been cranky or anything (yet)."
My son always seems to have one really red, hot cheek when he's teething. Maybe this has something to do with your daughter's eczema flaring up?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#6 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 PM

For my dd teething mostly effects her sleeping and makes her want to chew on anything she can get her hands on. She seems to particularly like cell phones.

So I e-mailed the Houstons guy. He said that he thinks my pain is caused by the enzymes doing some damage to my gut and I should quit all enzymes for a couple of months and then start back on zyme prime and see how it goes. Sigh. I just wanna get better.

Here's his e-mail.
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think the high-dosing with the EM product may
have done something.
Probably best to stay off all enzymes for the next couple of
months, then try the zyme prime again.
It is not normal for enzymes to cause pain of any sort. I am
especially suspicious of the serrapeptase-containing products as
it is a bacterial enzyme, not fungal.

Devin Houston
I think I'm just going to concentrate on getting a cultured drink with every meal now and leave it at that. I'll keep giving dd and dh the enzymes for now, probably.

Oh and I think I'm getting an appointment with a new Dr for dd. She sounds pretty amazing and hopefully will have some good insight. I'm just frustrated with the wait and see attitude of the Dr's we see right now. Plus the Dr that we love from the family practice we go to is quitting so now is a good time to shop arround anyhow.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#7 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
The only way I know it's a new month is because somebody always starts a new HTGT thread.

Anybody have any comments about this:

The last 3 days dd1 has had a semi-formed poopy. Yipeee! (This has only happened a few times in her short little life.) I have been out of CLO for her and just today started it again. Well, she had a very mushy poopy again. Is this a result of the CLO?
I have started giving CO and CLO to my dog and noticed that her poops were less well formed. I have heard that one side effect of too much fish oil is diahrea so I think you are onto something. Can you try a lower dose and build it up slowly? That may fix the issue or give it in divided doses throughout the day? I know Dr sears recomends flax oil for constipation and I'm sure that is for a similar reason.

our family is <>< and :
#8 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 PM

:
#9 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM

Oops, I posted this in May before I realized it was June!

Is there any reason to suspect that my very delayed ovulation is related to my new way of eating (SCD)? I'm about 4 days late, which is unprecedented. I never did get the last hcg quant after my miscarriage 2 months ago - and I haven't given it a second thought until now because my cycles got regular again, and it just seemed so hysterically unnecessary at the time. But I'm suspecting stress or the diet before I"m suspecting an incomplete MC anyway. Any thoughts? I've been slightly paranoid about inadequate B-Vitamins with having a grain and starch-free diet, but I haven't been taking a B-supplement.
#10 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM

I posted in may first too. I started today and things have gone well. At what point can I expect die off symptoms? what symptoms are usually experienced?
#11 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 PM

I had my heart set on making homemade ice cream with the cream from our whole milk (re: BTVC "Commercially prepared ice cream is not allowed. However, there are many wonderful recipes for homemade ice cream."), but then I see that she says that "Cream is illegal as it contains lactose. Cream can be added to milk and then fermented to make SCD™24hr yoghurt as the lactsose will be used up in the fermentation. Cream has less lactose than milk and the more fat it contains the less lactose it has." I guess her idea of homemade ice cream is different from mine

So my question: How close to ice cream can we get on SCD? Can you ferment all cream for 24 hours, use it as your ice cream base, and get a decent product? Anyone experiment with this?
#12 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I posted in may first too. I started today and things have gone well. At what point can I expect die off symptoms? what symptoms are usually experienced?
Not everybody has die off symptoms. The only die-off symptoms I've had are upset stomach--three episodes of major upset stomach with diarrhea, and an occasional slightly upset stomach. I've had an episode right after each time I've done the intro diet, and one other time. I think www.enzymestuff.com has a list of die off symptoms somewhere--they will still be applicable even if you aren't doing enzymes.
#13 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
I had my heart set on making homemade ice cream with the cream from our whole milk (re: BTVC "Commercially prepared ice cream is not allowed. However, there are many wonderful recipes for homemade ice cream."), but then I see that she says that "Cream is illegal as it contains lactose. Cream can be added to milk and then fermented to make SCD™24hr yoghurt as the lactsose will be used up in the fermentation. Cream has less lactose than milk and the more fat it contains the less lactose it has." I guess her idea of homemade ice cream is different from mine

So my question: How close to ice cream can we get on SCD? Can you ferment all cream for 24 hours, use it as your ice cream base, and get a decent product? Anyone experiment with this?
I have fermented all cream for 30 hours. It is too rich for me so I mix it 50/50 w/ whole milk yogurt. It makes yummy ice cream. Esp fruit flavors.

our family is <>< and :
#14 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 PM

xposted from the NT thread (I'm taking the lazy road today )

Soooooooooo, if the gut flora is an ecosystem unto itself, is there really a point to ridding oneself of all bad bacteria/yeast, or are they part of that balance? Can't good bacteria turn bad if not kept in check?
#15 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
xposted from the NT thread (I'm taking the lazy road today )

Soooooooooo, if the gut flora is an ecosystem unto itself, is there really a point to ridding oneself of all bad bacteria/yeast, or are they part of that balance? Can't good bacteria turn bad if not kept in check?
The point isn't to get rid of all the bad bacteria and yeast, but to give the body a chance to get everything back in balance--I believe the "correct" ratio of bacteria is 15% bad, 85% good, and that yeast is always present to some degree, but the good bacteria keep it from growing too much. I assume when your body is functioning properly it automatically keeps everything in the right balance (as long as it is not messed with by antibiotics, processed food, etc etc). Hopefully that makes sense...
#16 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I've never done it, but I do like frozen yogurt, so I'd give it a try for sure. I can only guess it would be like a super rich version of frozen yogurt. Just thinking about the possibility makes me
Let us know how it turns out!
#17 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The point isn't to get rid of all the bad bacteria and yeast, but to give the body a chance to get everything back in balance--I believe the "correct" ratio of bacteria is 15% bad, 85% good, and that yeast is always present to some degree, but the good bacteria keep it from growing too much. I assume when your body is functioning properly it automatically keeps everything in the right balance (as long as it is not messed with by antibiotics, processed food, etc etc). Hopefully that makes sense...
Thanks caedmyn - yep, that totally answered my question
#18 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM

How do I know when to increase the amount of CO DD and I are taking? I've slowly gone from .5 tsp to 1 tsp in myself, and .25 tsp to .5 tsp in DD.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#19 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 PM

JaneS,

My DD is 2.5. Before I just thought it was raisins but just today she had a loose poopie with bits of broccoli & asparagus from last night.

Can anyone recommend a good book to start with?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#20 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM

I'm sure Pookietooth will be here any minute reminding me of when I "made" her make frozen SCD yogurt and her response was

The 24 hr. milk yogurt is pretty tart. You can drip it and then make ice cream with the thickened less tart version or ferment cream, which is WAY yummy as ice cream. But then again, I liked the tart version just fine... I add egg yolks, honey and a tablespoon of vanilla.
#21 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I have fermented all cream for 30 hours. It is too rich for me so I mix it 50/50 w/ whole milk yogurt. It makes yummy ice cream. Esp fruit flavors.
Thanks sooo much for the advice - I wouldn't have thought to ferment for so long! : Haven't sprung for an ice cream maker yet - I wanted to see if it would be SCD-friendly before buying it. Will have to start saving my pennies......We have quite a little dairy operation going here, I just made butter last night! I don't think I drained it well-enough though, cooking with it wasn't quite as non-stick as conventional butter....

Small relapse reaction today I can't believe that it's from goat yogurt, since I'd been doing that since Saturday. Could be cow yogurt, since I started that yesterday. Could be goat cheese, started that on Monday........
Please be the cheese, please be the cheese.....: Going to drop the cheese over the weekend and continue on cow yogurt.
#22 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo
JaneS,

My DD is 2.5. Before I just thought it was raisins but just today she had a loose poopie with bits of broccoli & asparagus from last night.

Can anyone recommend a good book to start with?
Hmmm, well those are pretty advanced foods for the body to break down. Fibrous foods are difficult for humans b/c we do not make the enzyme cellulase. Otherwise her stool is firm and dark brown? Just the sleeping issues and skin issues you are most concerned about? Any other reactions to foods that you notice?

I like Karen DeFelice's book best for description of leaky gut, "allergies" and the gut/behavioral connection:
www.enzymestuff.com
(she has 2 but they are both the same with diff titles)

What about cod liver oil? What's her diet like otherwise?
#23 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Oops, I posted this in May before I realized it was June!

Is there any reason to suspect that my very delayed ovulation is related to my new way of eating (SCD)? I'm about 4 days late, which is unprecedented. I never did get the last hcg quant after my miscarriage 2 months ago - and I haven't given it a second thought until now because my cycles got regular again, and it just seemed so hysterically unnecessary at the time. But I'm suspecting stress or the diet before I"m suspecting an incomplete MC anyway. Any thoughts? I've been slightly paranoid about inadequate B-Vitamins with having a grain and starch-free diet, but I haven't been taking a B-supplement.
Have no idea but Pat was right, you need to be on folic acid like yesterday.

(Although it irritates me to no end that the folic acid mantra is the one thing the med. establishment latches onto when there are so many other nutrients which are just as crucial to a babe's development AND do cause birth defects if seriously deficient! My favorite vit. A for ex. but of course we know you got that covered. )
#24 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
For my dd teething mostly effects her sleeping and makes her want to chew on anything she can get her hands on. She seems to particularly like cell phones.

So I e-mailed the Houstons guy. He said that he thinks my pain is caused by the enzymes doing some damage to my gut and I should quit all enzymes for a couple of months and then start back on zyme prime and see how it goes. Sigh. I just wanna get better.

Here's his e-mail.

I think I'm just going to concentrate on getting a cultured drink with every meal now and leave it at that. I'll keep giving dd and dh the enzymes for now, probably.

Oh and I think I'm getting an appointment with a new Dr for dd. She sounds pretty amazing and hopefully will have some good insight. I'm just frustrated with the wait and see attitude of the Dr's we see right now. Plus the Dr that we love from the family practice we go to is quitting so now is a good time to shop arround anyhow.
I've heard that yeast causes the "teethies" too. Lots of reports in ASD kids with yeast issues who are older and well out of teething time.

It must be inflammation in your gut that is causing the pain. You've never had blood in your stool?

That's interesting about Devin Houston's comments about serrapeptase!
http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussio...opeptidase.htm
#25 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone know how much evening primrose oil I should be taking to help with DD's eczema?

And can sunlight make DD's eczema worse? I've been trying to get some sun on her because I read the Vitamin D can help with eczema but her face always looks worse after she gets some sun (and she's not getting burned).
Good question re: epo. I forgot if Leo Galland's book Superimmunity for Kids addressed it... can you check that? That is where he talks about how some kids need diff oils. (and I know it's because of the enzyme conversions that are able or not able to be taking place)

DS always overheats and usually never sweated. It seems to be more about getting hot that triggered any flares rather than the sun. He always seemed better in the summer. He always got strangely overheated, like he would be playing at a friend's house, running around and always gets red hot cheeks.

But today I noticed he was sweating and I was so happy!
I'm hoping that it's a good sign of I don't know what, but better than just getting hotter and hotter... ?
#26 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie
How do I know when to increase the amount of CO DD and I are taking? I've slowly gone from .5 tsp to 1 tsp in myself, and .25 tsp to .5 tsp in DD.
She's going to be getting some from bm too remember. I'd stop at her amount for now and increase yours
#27 of 770 Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
That's interesting about Devin Houston's comments about serrapeptase!
http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussio...opeptidase.htm
Ok, I read that and I am whirrling with confusion. You are an enzyme-geek.

Pat

I have a blog.
#28 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I've heard that yeast causes the "teethies" too. Lots of reports in ASD kids with yeast issues who are older and well out of teething time.
Are you saying that yeast causes teething type issues? That would be fascinating to hear, as ds is very orally sensitive.

Pat

I have a blog.
#29 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Are you saying that yeast causes teething type issues? That would be fascinating to hear, as ds is very orally sensitive.

Pat
Yep, I've seen it in my DS and heard tons of stories from other parents (controlling yeast and oral issues then disappear)
#30 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Ok, I read that and I am whirrling with confusion. You are an enzyme-geek.

Pat

If only I can just figure out how to give my DS higher amounts of proteases without him bouncing off the walls. All my geekiness is for naught!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page