Mothering Forum banner

Poison Oak

699 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  trini 
#1 ·
About two weeks ago I had a severe case of poision oak. I got it from getting my dd's balls out of the bushes. I ended up going to the dr. and he prescribed prednisone. I took the meds as prescribed, well lo and behold, not even a week after I finished my last dose, the rash is coming back
At this point I am not happy. I feel like I am never going to get rid of this thing. Anyone else have a bad case of poison oak or ivy? How did you get thru it?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've now had 3 severe cases of poison ivy in the last 3 months. I didn't use the prednisone because I heard that it can make the rash come back when you're done with it. My cases were so severe that my eyes were swollen shut for days and I could only see out of a small sliver.
The doc gave me and my 2 year old prednisone but neither of us took it--I got scared by the list of warnings that came with it.

What I did was hop in the shower and turn the water on very hot and just stand there and let the very hot water hit me for about 5 minutes, and then I washed with a brand new bar of soap (it's wahm-made so I don't know what ingredients are in there)--that's now my "poison ivy soap" since I don't want to accidentally contaminate myself. Then I rinsed myself back off in really hot water.

The hot water dried out my skin a lot, but the rash went away very quickly after that (probably because poison ivy makes your skin dry out as it's clearing up anyhow). I also use something called IvaRest, which took away the itch pretty fast.
It's pink though, so you have to be virtually naked when you're wearing it.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1xmom
I got it from getting my dd's balls out of the bushes
Ok, my mind is in the gutter...then I thought, wait! DD's don't have balls!
I hope you get better soon!

But, my DS, age 7, has chiggers all over him, including his sac, and they itch so bad!! Poor kid!! One of the disadvantages of living on a big farm with lots of places to explore! I ran out of Chigger Aid, and I've been everywhere trying to find it. We've been putting anti-itch cream on them.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSmomma6
But, my DS, age 7, has chiggers all over him, including his sac, and they itch so bad!! Poor kid!! One of the disadvantages of living on a big farm with lots of places to explore! I ran out of Chigger Aid, and I've been everywhere trying to find it. We've been putting anti-itch cream on them.

We used to put clear nail polish on chiggers.

For severe poison ivy (eyes also swollen shut) whatever the dr gave me worked. I don't recall what it was. Sorry!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.