pros and cons of ascorbic acid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the idea of giving the extra ascorbic acid to my family b/c I am impressed with the things Vit C can do. However I have concerns regarding problems that can occur when a body is used to having the Vit C and becomes dependent on it and then, for whatever reason, doesn't get it and that lack causes problems of its own. If I understand correctly,it causes acute induced scurvy. Is this correct? I realize that the likelyhood of not being able to have vit C is slim, but this dependance is concerning. Do any of you moms know more about this? What do you all think?

If we do decide to start supplementing:

Are there any easy ways to find the amounts good for a child and adult w/o much trial and error (which can cause diarrhea)?

Any good brands/sources to buy from?

Any other tips, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated. We are just wanting to get our families immune systems to their peaks. Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried ascorbic acid with my dd (15 almost 16 months) and she had violent diarreah with it I tried it several times, a very tiny amount, but each time we had an explosion (and I had tons of laundry to do )

Is it something you want to supplement with every day? I think I have heard that children should only get it when they are starting to possibly come down with something, and not on a daily basis... perhaps other mama's know a lot more about that than I do!!!

Anyway, I switched to the hylands vitamin c tablets... I know it's not as good, but at least dd can tolerate them (she has always been a little on the runny side) and they do help a lot when she seems to be getting a cold... usually by the next day all signs of a cold are gone.

Hopefully someone else who has more experience with it can answer your questions!

User Tag List