ovarian cyst? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all,

So I think I have an ovarian cyst - this past cycle, I had ovulatory pain on my left side around when I ovulated, but then maybe the next week my right side started hurting - same way it does when it's ovulatory - both sharp pains and dull achey pain. That's lasted off and on in the two or so weeks since then (I think it's starting to get less, though I still get twinges every so often).

What I'm wondering is - is it fine to just let it go - assuming the pain goes away within a couple weeks - and figure that it just went away on its own, or is it something that I should have my doc check out?

Also, is there anything you can do to prevent cysts, or to treat/ease them if they do form?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 PM

I have poly-cystic ovaries and my experience has been that if they don't hurt TOO much, they should be fine. The doctors can't do much, except try to put you on pain meds and birth control, unless it's a really large cyst and is causing your ovary to twist/rupture (then they talk about surgery). It's a fairly normal thing and will usually go away on its own. If you are having super uncomfortable pain, you could ask for an ultrasound to check things out. Feel better!
#3 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Oh, one more thing...

I just saw that you are TTC and wondered if you might have a corpus luteum cyst? I had one when I got pregnant that caused alot of discomfort in the first trimester. Could you be pg?
#4 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 PM

I had several very large cysts almost two years ago. I had an ultrasound done because of a painful gyn exam. I went several months before seeing a gyn because I was hoping they would go away. I took Chaste Tree and did some hypnosis. When I did see a gyn, he did another ultrasound and was glad to see they hadn't gotten any larger. Because of the lack of change, he was comfortable doing laproscopic surgery to drain and remove the cysts.

Less than a year later I had the same experience with a very painful gyn exam. I went to have an ultrasound. I didn't understand how I could have cysts since I had been on birth control and therefore not ovulating. It wasn't cysts this time, it was a huge tumor. I had to have major surgery and lost one ovary and fallopian tube. The tumor was borderline. It was cancerous, but it wasn't healthy, either.

IMHO, if I suspected a cyst, I would have it checked out. A gyn exam and ultrasound are pretty painless. Laproscopic surgery is a whole lot easier than major abdominal surgery. Symptoms of ovarian cancer are very vague. In other words, you can't wait until you have obvious symptoms.

Stacy
#5 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief
What I'm wondering is - is it fine to just let it go - assuming the pain goes away within a couple weeks - and figure that it just went away on its own, or is it something that I should have my doc check out?

Also, is there anything you can do to prevent cysts, or to treat/ease them if they do form?

I think if it's pain that's lasting like this, what would it hurt to get it checked out? While, in most cases, they will take a "wait and see" attitude on cysts. If it will ease your mind to know, then call.

As for prevention-there are only two known treatments 1) birth control pills 2) oopherectomy (removal of the ovaries)

Treatment - painkillers, heat, and bedrest. I still get them (they left my ovaries) and that's all I can do.

So go prop your feet up, get on a heating pad or one of those Thermacare's on your back, and watch a movie or read a good book. That's the best advice I can give ya.
#6 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies - they are reassuring and also scary. I have a big fear of getting cancer, so kylee'smom, your post really scares me.

the pain really has not been bad at all. There was one day that it hurt/was uncomfortable all day, and one time that there was a pretty sharp pain. Other than that, it's been more uncomfortable/in the background, kind of rather than painful/disruptive. I definitely don't need pain meds for it.

meggie - yep, ttc, but no, I'm not pregnant - I chart, so I saw my temp drop and stay down when AF came, so that's not it - too bad!

well, maybe I'll make an appointment for the first convenient time for me, and see what happens. like someone said, it can't hurt (except for the frustration of dealing w/doctors : ), and I can always cancel if it goes away completely.

I'm pretty sure this has happened before and has always gone away... And I did just have a physical including a gyne. so hopefully if anything was really off they would have caught it...? I hope?

thanks for the responses
#7 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief
thanks for the replies - they are reassuring and also scary. I have a big fear of getting cancer, so kylee'smom, your post really scares me.
Didn't mean to scare you, but I have found through my experience that a lot of other, mostly younger, mom's were totally oblivious to the possibilities. I know it's a very slim chance, I'm definitely not the norm. But, like I tried to say, the exam and ultrasound are minor inconveniences to set your mind at ease.

Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do. I'll be thinking about you!

Stacy
#8 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
As for prevention-there are only two known treatments 1) birth control pills 2) oopherectomy (removal of the ovaries~ Katymom
Sorry but that is not true. There are lots of holistic non-invasive methods available. Homeopathy can cure it. Yoga therapy can work though it is not an instant fix.

There is also naturopathy: this is what a yoga teacher said
Quote:
:- I have heard from a yoga teacher I trained that during her training with Susan Weed, master herbalist, that Susan recommended eating a raw beet daily for 30 days for any woman with fibroids and cysts. Then following this to eat one a month as a preventative. The women who have done this have reported exceptionally positive changes in their body.
#9 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaduct
Sorry but that is not true. There are lots of holistic non-invasive methods available. Homeopathy can cure it.
Then by all means share the info on the homeopathy as well. Since you have found a cure, you should not keep it to yourself. <not meant to sound snarky>

I have suffered from ovarian cysts for years and have tried everything herbal I can get my hands on. All to no avail. I have not heard of the beet thing before.

I have come to the conclusion that mine are being caused by the extra weight I'm carrying since the kids. Fat produces slight amounts of estrogen and I think this may be causing a hormonal imbalance in me. I'm going to try losing the weight and reevaluating my situation then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page