do you get a pap smear every 12 months? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are currently no tests approved (read: reliable enough) to detect HPV infection in men.
#62 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:08 PM

MITB, please list the names of the tests you have done (which will probably be a brand name under a certain lab) and which lab you use to help us all understand.
thank you.
#63 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
EVC

Quote:
Radiation will kill you.Why would you treat your self with something theat they would not give to a healthy person.
But the point of pap smears is to catch it BEFORE it turns into full blown cancer thereby preventing the need for radiation, etc.

I just wanted to add that I had NO IDEA that something was wrong and was completely surprised by by the abnormal pap smear. I am generally very healthy and take good care of myself and NEVER for a moment thought that it could happen to me. But it did and I am so glad the pap caught it before it became really serious (which it certainly could have and was heading in that direction, although, yes, some cases of CIN2 and even CIN3 do correct themselves without intervention). I too am generally suspicious of the medical establishment, but in this case I think it's worth it. It is really so easy to treat if caught early, and can be deadly if missed. Just my opinion.

I don't know about the HPV connection--I was never diagnosed with HPV in connection to my pre-cancer. I may have it, I may not--that question actually doesn't bother me, though.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#64 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove
nak
Yeah, we're all adults, and diverse at that, but you are really posting thoughts that verge on conspiracy theory (not to mention your outright fear and lothing of the "medical establishment" - we're not all out to get you nor have the time or energy to present you with bogus diagnoses) and not current fact. I feel a reposibility to refute that kind of info with today's most current knowledge and the standard of care that I would want personally for my own loved ones and friends.
Its more than fear, the information is out there about pharma and doctors killing people.

Western Medical Science is a faith based religion. Looking for believers. If you believe in it, great. There is nothing healing about it. Most cancer patients die from the treatments long term affects, not cancer. Just because the radiation has not shown its ugly side today, tommorrow, or next year... Does not mean it will never show its face. But, hey no one will say radiation posioning, but cancer.

The body can heal itself, but if doctors told you that, where would they be? Lifestyle precautions from the womb can lessen the chance of cancer drastically. No doctors can do this, nor do they want too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC
I don't know about the HPV connection--I was never diagnosed with HPV in connection to my pre-cancer. I may have it, I may not--that question actually doesn't bother me, though.
Not suprising at all.
#65 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 PM

I have not had a Pap in nearly five years. Since before DS was born. I am calling to make an appointment right now. Thank you for the information Dove and everyone else!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#66 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC
I just wanted to add that I had NO IDEA that something was wrong and was completely surprised by by the abnormal pap smear.
Did you know about the number of false positives? Did you get at least 3 more Paps before trusting the diagnosis? Did you get the Paps done at a different place, or the same place?
Did you research all of the reasons a Pap will give an abnormal cell reading? Did you make sure it was none of those reasons, first?
#67 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemaya1
Its more than fear, the information is out there about pharma and doctors killing people.

Medical Science is a faith based religion. Looking for believers. There is nothing healing about it. Most cancer patients die from the treatments long term affects, not cancer. Just because the radiation has not shown its ugly side today, tommorrow, or next year... Does not mean it will never show its face. But, hey no one will say radiation posioning, but cancer.

The body can heal itself, but if doctors told you that, where would they be? Lifestyle precautions from the womb can lessen the chance of cancer drastically. No doctors can do this, nor do they want too.

Not suprising at all.
yes, the body is amazing and can heal itself. I agree with you. Yes, lifestyle precautions can lessen the chance of cancer drastically. Unfortunately, though, we live in environments which are less than pristine and we also as human beings carry viral illnesses which can contribute to the cancer risk.

The point of the regular pap is to "catch" the earliest diagnosis possible and base treatment on the stage. When it is caught early, treatment for cervical cancer is a breeze compared to (I'm saying in comparison to here) many other cancers, many of which are not able to be caught at such an early stage.
#68 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
EVC

Quote:
Did you know about the number of false positives? Did you get at least 3 more Paps before trusting the diagnosis? Did you get the Paps done at a different place, or the same place?
Did you research all of the reasons a Pap will give an abnormal cell reading? Did you make sure it was none of those reasons, first?

Yes, I had three pap smears by three different doctors in two different countries. That convinced that there just may be something wrong

Ah, and I will also add that the third diagnosis (and subsequent treatment) did not take place in the US. It took place is a public clinic in a country with free health care. In other words, the doctor who treated me just gets a paycheck every month no matter how many patients he sees or what kind of treatment he provides. So he did not stand to financially profit from my treatment and therefore I don't see any "ulterior motives" that one might have reason to be suspicious of in the US. And still the diagnosis was the same...

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#69 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom
I have not had a Pap in nearly five years. Since before DS was born. I am calling to make an appointment right now. Thank you for the information Dove and everyone else!
just stickin' to the facts here. thanks! I am going to call, too - it's time for my friendly exam with my lovely midwife as well.
#70 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
They cause permanant damage to the cervix. They scrape cells, which then are tiny open wounds that leave you at risk of infection. The cervix is not meant to be scraped and scarred.
I do hope you don't have penetrative vaginal sex, then, because I can tell you for a 100% certainty that most vaginal intercourse is more traumatic to the cervix than any cytobrush could ever be.

Oh, and don't give birth vaginally either...that cervix isn't meant to have any cells sloughed off of it, and, gosh, a big 7 lb baby coming through it could...scrape off cells! Eghads!!! (end sarcasm here)

To the OP - yes, I get one every year.

And I'm not even touching the "cancer is caused by low oxygen" crap. I'll be sure to tell my father currently in treatment for cancer, that I'd rather he cleanse his chakras or whatever BS, and risk dying in the next 5 years (he's only 54) versus a likely cure through radiation, and living quite possibly into his 80s. What the F ever.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#71 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
MITB, please list the names of the tests you have done (which will probably be a brand name under a certain lab) and which lab you use to help us all understand.
thank you.
No, I will not share such personal information. If you are interested in safer and more accurate tests, educate yourself.
I already stated that I had the urine and blood tests.
#72 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM

almost every year...

I had one when I first found out I was pregnant (normal?), which was June 2004 and then had one a few weeks ago...

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#73 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowyn
I do hope you don't have penetrative vaginal sex, then, because I can tell you for a 100% certainty that most vaginal intercourse is more traumatic to the cervix than any cytobrush could ever be.
: Never had that kind of intercourse, nor would I ever want to.
#74 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM

You've never had vaginal sex? So your kids were conceived...how? Donor insemination?

#75 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemaya1

Western Medical Science is a faith based religion. Looking for believers. If you believe in it, great. There is nothing healing about it. Most cancer patients die from the treatments long term affects, not cancer. Just because the radiation has not shown its ugly side today, tommorrow, or next year... Does not mean it will never show its face. But, hey no one will say radiation posioning, but cancer.

#76 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM

I certainly DO educate myself. Thankyouverymuch.
I was just asking in a "please share with the group" kinda way.
When you suggest that there are better screening exams out there to screen for cervical cancer you should back up your claims and share with the group. Hey, if you know how to prevent our cervixes (cervii??? lol) from getting all scraped up, I would think it would feel like your duty to let us in on it so we know what to ask for.

All kidding aside, There are no blood or urine tests approved to screen for cervical cancer. There is one big-time dna hpv-typing cellular exam but that test is carried out much like a pap smear. It is an internal exam, not a blood or urine test. To screen for cervical cancer you need to LOOK AT the cells for atypical changes in the sampling of cells themselves. Makes sense, eh?

There are blood and urine exams for some sexually transmitted diseases, however. Please let's be uber-specific if that is what we are talking about getting tested for.
#77 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
You've never had vaginal sex? So your kids were conceived...how? Donor insemination?
That is really none of your business.
#78 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM

That's fine - but don't discount, then, for the rest of the group that a pap is not any more of a "trauma" to the cervix than an activity considered to be very normal (that is, vaginal intercourse.)

#79 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
: Never had that kind of intercourse, nor would I ever want to.
now THAT is sharing personal info.
Now, you've never "done it the old-fashioned way" but you won't tell us how to obtain state of the art medical care???
#80 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I certainly DO educate myself. Thankyouverymuch.
I was just asking in a "please share with the group" kinda way.
When you suggest that there are better screening exams out there to screen for cervical cancer you should back up your claims and share with the group. Hey, if you know how to prevent our cervixes (cervii??? lol) from getting all scraped up, I would think it would feel like your duty to let us in on it so we know what to ask for.

There are no blood or urine tests approved to screen for cervical cancer. There is one big-time dna hpv-typing cellular exam but that test is carried out much like a pap smear. It is an internal exam, not a blood or urine test. To screen for cervical cancer you need to LOOK AT the cells for atypical changes in the sampling of cells themselves. Makes sense, eh?

There are blood and urine exams for some sexually transmitted diseases, however. Please let's be uber-specific if that is what we are talking about getting tested for.
I already have on many threads on MDC. I just see the same thing over and over. Doctor's are gods, except when it comes to breastfeeding and some births. Tests are infallible and/or the risks are not of any importance because the doctor says they are safe, so they must be safe, why would they give us unsafe tests?
#81 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No, I will not share such personal information. If you are interested in safer and more accurate tests, educate yourself.
I already stated that I had the urine and blood tests.
I'm sorry, but the name brand of test is *not* personal information, and this is clearly a dodge as Dove has pointed out. The reason you won't share this "personal" info is because reliable blood and urine testing for HPV does not exist.

Your sharing of the name brand of XYZ test is not any different or any more personal than me sharing the name brand of the computer I'm using to type this message.

#82 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's fine - but don't discount, then, for the rest of the group that a pap is not any more of a "trauma" to the cervix than an activity considered to be very normal (that is, vaginal intercourse.)
My dh does not have a cytobrush on the end of his penis. It never touches my cervix, neither, so, I have no idea what kind of intercourse you are having that is causing damage to your cervix.
Many women who are giving birth, have scar tissue on their cervix from the Pap Smears/biopsies/burns/freezes/etc., not from intercourse.
#83 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
My dh does not have a cytobrush on the end of his penis.
I should hope not!

Quote:
It never touches my cervix.
I doubt that in the extreme. Depending on the phase of the menstrual cycle, the cervix may be brushed more or less easily, which is not painful and may not actually even be sensed (the cervix is relatively insensitive to light touch.) Intercourse *does* cause the sloughing of cells from the cervix, as does a Pap.

Quote:
Many women who are giving birth, have scar tissue on their cervix from the Pap Smears/biopsies/burns/freezes/etc., not from intercourse.
Biopsies, cryotherapy, etc can cause scarring of the cervix. I don't have any argument there. But the pap test does not. It's no more traumatic to tissue or scarring than using a Q-tip to clean your ears. The cervical mucosa is pretty similar to the oral mucosa - go get a q-tip, scrape the inside of your cheek a bit with it (gently) and wait a bit and see if it bleeds/scars/etc. It won't.

#84 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My dh does not have a cytobrush on the end of his penis. It never touches my cervix, neither, so, I have no idea what kind of intercourse you are having that is causing damage to your cervix.
Since the vast majority of women get paps, if this theoretical risk to a cytobrush (which, frankly, is a pretty wimpy brush) existed, wouldn't the vast majority of women have something to show for it? Yes, cryo and LEEP can cause cervical scarring, and both can be a real pain in labor, but honestly I would take some cervical scarring if it saves me a good solid carcinoma in situ.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#85 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I already have on many threads on MDC. I just see the same thing over and over. Doctor's are gods, except when it comes to breastfeeding and some births. Tests are infallible and/or the risks are not of any importance because the doctor says they are safe, so they must be safe, why would they give us unsafe tests?
MITB, you are clearly a study in contradiction. You won't get a pap, they cause changes in the cervix (per you). You think that doctors aren't gods (except for some instances), but you will go to one to get blood and urine testing. (you need a lab slip rx'd by a practitioner to get testing). You know of better testing for women, but won't spill it.

You are doing the women reading this thread a great disservice - you are providing only doubt and confusion and misinformation.
#86 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Yes, I get one every year.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#87 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
MITB, you are clearly a study in contradiction. You won't get a pap, they cause changes in the cervix (per you). You think that doctors aren't gods (except for some instances), but you will go to one to get blood and urine testing. (you need a lab slip rx'd by a practitioner to get testing). You know of better testing for women, but won't spill it.

You are doing the women reading this thread a great disservice - you are providing only doubt and confusion and misinformation.
Good. Women need to start questioning the routine tests done on them and their daughters.
#88 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Used to go once a year every year...then I got raped. Then I started having serious anxiety problems about it..then I had to go for another to get birth control.....after DD was born...18 months after she was born.

I had to be sedated for it. That's right. I had to be drugged up for it because the Dr couldn't get the speculum in me....I was so anxiety ridden.

I will NEVER go for another one again. I figure if my time is up my time is up. You ladies can go ahead and get your crotches spread open every year but not me...I've had enough...I dont want to go through the anxiety, PTSD flashbacks and the whole nine yards ever again. It causes me more mental trauma than anything to get it done. And I'm never doing it again.

Yes, it's that bad, I would rather die than go through that anymore. Not even gonna bother going to therapy for it because it's so deeply embarrasing and well..It just wouldn't help because it's hard to find validation for such "irrational" feelings.

Heck, the Dr I was seeing when I found out I was pregnant wanted to give me a routine pelvic. I backed away and started crying hysterically at the suggestion. This was the first time I ever met him! I mean I was terrified.

It's the main reason why I refuse to birth in a hospital.

No one that i dont know and trust will go near my genitals...And I dont trust my Dr because I dont know them. I dont care if they have a fancy pants MD that they spent thousands on...it aint gonna happen.

Oh yeah Gender isn't an issue either. Man, woman, I dont know you I dont want you near me. I dont see or even live anywhere long enough to get to know my family dr. So I really dont think it's ever gonna happen in my lifetime based on that factor.
#89 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Double sorry
#90 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
But the pap test does not. It's no more traumatic to tissue or scarring than using a Q-tip to clean your ears. The cervical mucosa is pretty similar to the oral mucosa - go get a q-tip, scrape the inside of your cheek a bit with it (gently) and wait a bit and see if it bleeds/scars/etc. It won't.
Check out the Pregnancy boards on MDC and elsewhere and see the number of pregnant women who have had bleeding after their Pap Smears and been told it is normal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page