do you get a pap smear every 12 months? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
Or you could miscarry your baby. I think that would be way more worse than falling off the table.
Or, you could get a secondary infection and end up with a hysterectomy.
Or your head could spontaneously explode into flames, or you could get run over by a herd of cattle on the way to the office, or you could electrocute yourself using the phone to make the appointment. Really, the chances for death are limitless.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#122 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove
There are no answers to the magical questions in the archives or in the other threads about this, either. Don't waste your time, people. The big secret is there is none.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=smear
http://www.nccc-online.org/
http://www.oncologychannel.com/cervicalcancer/
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4455
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=15155
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/200...r/cervical.htm
#123 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 PM

ok, so now we dredge up old threads. Same info. Yes, you can get pinched by the speculum that is inserted to perform the pap smear. I would hardly call that a big deal. If you really, truly do not want to get a pap on the off chance that you might get a little pinch, then fine! I really don't care. Kind of like saying you will never get a hair cut cause you might accidentally get your ear nicked by the scissor. The secondary infection requiring a hyterectomy? Hmmmm...now that's quite a reach.

Ok, and now you list articles. These are not medical studies, they are news articles. Most are dated from '03 and '04. They are talking about potential tests in the future, if at all. (Kind of like the stories about the potential for male hormonal birth control that gets us all keyed up and then fizzles...) This is not happening here in the states. And unless you happen to be a part of a study, this is not happening for you.

I understand advocating for a better tomorrow (go for it!), but that day is not here yet. Regular paps are still the gold standard in the early detection of cervical ca. Why not advocate for what we have already? Just hasn't been proven to save enough lives for you? Pap smears have decreased the rate of cervical cancer death by 70 percent in the last 50 years (in the US). It is one of the very few screening exams that can detect pre-cancerous cellular changes, which can be treated before those cells develop into cancer.
#124 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 09:54 PM

seventy percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#125 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM

I have to think, as inconvenient and unpleasant as some of the *possible* (as in slight possibility) risks of a pap smear may be, stage 3 or 4 carcinoma is a heck of a lot more unpleasant.
#126 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 PM

By the way, I think there is a distinction between getting regular paps and getting a pap during pregnancy. I, too, would likely not opt to have a pap test done while pregnant. Waiting 9 months (or less) is a reasonable risk. I see this as a separate issue.
#127 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most are dated from '03 and '04. They are talking about potential tests in the future, if at all.

I understand advocating for a better tomorrow (go for it!), but that day is not here yet.
It is the year 2006, why is it taking so long? Because of ppl like you and other posters who refuse to accept that there are safer and more accurate tests, and just want to promote the Pap as gold.
#128 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pap smears have decreased the rate of cervical cancer death by 70 percent in the last 50 years [/B](in the US).
The rise in "incompetent cervix', cesarean, and miscarriage rates are only anectdotal, just like the rise in cancer among vaccinated persons.
#129 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM

ok, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight - really everyone - it's my fault that we don't have a different test. Now we're placing blame instead of just accepting the fact that you are misinformed and you are getting called on it? Way to change the subject.

your last statement makes no sense. smokescreen.

ok, this has been fun, but it's my last post. Foolish to try to keep up with your line of thinking here.

SEVENTY PERCENT!!!
#130 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Now we're placing blame instead of just accepting the fact that you are misinformed and you are getting called on it?
Thankfully, I am not misinformed. I have made an educated and INFORMED decision regarding my health.

Again, if women don't demand/ask for safer and more accurate tests, how will we ever reach more than a 70% rate?
#131 of 265 Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 PM

Pandora114,

I will not get any more of these.The last one I had was when i was pregnant for ds,and I shook and cried through the whole thing.My dh had to literally hold me down,since the clinic said I had to have it done for the safety of my baby .I was a mess for days before,and a mess for days after(still panic at even the thought of getting another one done).I cannot stand having people touch me as it is,unless I know them very well,and having someone touch me there is out of the question.I even have a hard time with my own dh touching me sometimes.

If a woman wants to get it done,that's her choice.I physically cannot do it again.I'll take my chances with cancer.It's one of the reasons I had a UC with ds.I couldn't even imagine having someone sticking their fingers or anything else inside me again.It terrifies me.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#132 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 AM

I have been following this thread closely and I must say that I'm more convinced that getting a PAP is beneficial than I was before. I won't do them during pregnancy though, but I definitely think that they aren't that bad for what they do!
#133 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Quick question here. What all are they testing for with a pap? Is it just cancer? TIA
#134 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 AM

Just made an appt for one next week

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#135 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama
Just made an appt for one next week
Good!
#136 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 AM

I aim for every three years after having them not only yearly but having as many as three in 14 months because of the timing of a pregnancy (I had a pap, got pg a couple of months later so they did another pap and then my post-partum pap made for 3 in only 14 months. Too much!). I've never had an abnormal pap.

Going to doctor's offices is extremely stressful for me and I'm uninsured right now. I don't have several hundred dollars for a test that is going to send my BP through the roof. KWIM?

My mom went almost 10 years without a pap but resumed her yearly exam a few years ago. Now she's doing the every three years schedule too.
#137 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thankfully, I am not misinformed. I have made an educated and INFORMED decision regarding my health.

Again, if women don't demand/ask for safer and more accurate tests, how will we ever reach more than a 70% rate?
70% isn't good enough..? Without the PAP it wouldn't be that high..!
#138 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC
Quick question here. What all are they testing for with a pap? Is it just cancer? TIA
Basically, the pap is to check for abnormal cervical cells. These may be cancerous or pre-cancerous. I found this site to be informative about the test, recommended frequency, etc.:
http://www.medicinenet.com/pap_smear/article.htm
#139 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
EVERY YEAR? Yeah, right.
Um, yeah. My dh has been going every year since he turned 30 for his colonoscopy and the glove do to the high rate of colon cancer and prostrate cancer in his family. And thanks to all that testing he went for an MRI which happened to catch the lump on his kidney that was cancerous. Thanks to the early detection he was able to have the lump removed and is now 2 years cancer free.

He just had a scrotal test because he found a lump (thankfully-not cancer).

Men do go for annual uncomfortable tests every year.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#140 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr
70% isn't good enough..? Without the PAP it wouldn't be that high..!
I am not advocating for ppl to get rid of the Pap nor stop getting them, but to demand safer and more accurate tests. Many tests are way more accurate than 70%.
Also, the Pap Smear is not the actual test for cancer. The Pap Smear only collects the cells on the cervix, and a Q-tip would be a hell of a lot less damaging than scraping the cervix.
#141 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Or your head could spontaneously explode into flames, or you could get run over by a herd of cattle on the way to the office, or you could electrocute yourself using the phone to make the appointment. Really, the chances for death are limitless.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#142 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I am not advocating for ppl to get rid of the Pap nor stop getting them, but to demand safer and more accurate tests. Many tests are way more accurate than 70%.
Also, the Pap Smear is not the actual test for cancer. The Pap Smear only collects the cells on the cervix, and a Q-tip would be a hell of a lot less damaging than scraping the cervix.
Well, can't you request that? Even the awful female OB who gave me the most painful pap from hell while I was pregnant used a cotton swab instead of a brush to get cells from my cervix. You don't have to be pregnant I would assume, you could request a swab instead.
#143 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
a Q-tip would be a hell of a lot less damaging than scraping the cervix.
Um, have you ever actually *touched* a cytobrush? Most are softer than many toothbrushes I've used. (Hmm, maybe I'm on to something there - just snitch a few unused cytobrushes for toothbrushing purposes... )

Just another completely baseless argument...

Oh, and FTR, I don't get paid for doing paps. I get paid to show up and do my job, and it doesn't matter if I do one pap or ten (or none) in a day. I routinely recommend women do the three-year routine rather than annual (depending on risk factors) and routinely recommend elderly, celibate women discontinue paps altogether (while continuing annual pelvics for ovarian monitoring, along with all their other medical issues.) So if all of us eeeevilll medicos are trying to just make a buck doing paps, don't you think we'd want everyone to do one once a year, from puberty to the grave?

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#144 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I am not advocating for ppl to get rid of the Pap nor stop getting them

You sure seem to be expending a fair bit of energy villifying the Pap as a screening test to make this contention.

Not simply in this thread, but there is a looooooooooooooong history (as you linke to yourself)

I'm glad to hear from those of you who are scheduling your Paps
#145 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
OK, have to jump back in to defend your take on what I said. I DID NOT SAY that paps are only 70% accurate. I STATED THE FACT THAT THERE HAS BEEN A 70% REDUCTION IN CERVICAL CANCER DEATHS IN THE US IN THE LAST 50 YEARS because of the institution of regular pap smears for women.

And the reason it is "only" a 70 percent reduction is largely due in part to the fact that some women do not get paps for whatever reason (see this thread for the varied responses). If you don't get a pap, you can't catch cellular changes early to stave off cervical cancer, or you probably won't get possibly life-saving treatment for cervical cancer until it is too late. There is also a medically underserved population of women in the US who may not even know that pap exists or how to obtain the healthcare they deserve for free or at a reduced fee.

And yes, as we have been stating for pages now, the pap test is a screening exam. It looks at the cells that are collected for changes. A colposcopy or biopsy may be needed to confirm the diagnosis if there are cancerous changes identified with the pap. Glad to see you are catching up here.

Q-tip? Meh....they don't do a good enough job of cell collection, imo (in a non-pregnant woman)

And busybusymommy mentioned getting 3 paps in 14 months due to changing practices, pregnancy, etc. You can get copies of you records and have them for the new practitioner instead of getting another test. Speak up and say "no, thanks, I know the results were fine and will just get you the records to ease your mind...". Otherwise it's a waste of time and money and energy on everyone's part.
#146 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:

and I get a pap every year.
#147 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM

mamaintheboonies--do you have actual links/references to books/anything that says that paps actually cause scarring? I'm a big believer in not going to the doctor unless you are actually sick, but I'm still deciding on the pap smear issue.
#148 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 04:39 PM

:

Wow, I read all that. If the body heals itself, then I don't see the big deal with having my cervix brushed. It's been a worthwhile procedure for me. But to each their own.

Also, I'm glad my MIL doesn't have the attitude that chemotherapy is more harmful than helpful. She'd be gone by now. The cancer she has kills within weeks, not years.
#149 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Well, can't you request that? Even the awful female OB who gave me the most painful pap from hell while I was pregnant used a cotton swab instead of a brush to get cells from my cervix. You don't have to be pregnant I would assume, you could request a swab instead.
I refuse both. I will let them look at my cervix and take a picture.
Abnormal cervical cells are not always cancerous cells. I cannot believe the amount of women who fall for having 'pre-cancerous cells removed', as EVERY friggin' cell in your body could be a potential pre-cancerous cell.
#150 of 265 Old 06-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Abnormal cervical cells are not always cancerous cells.
Well, can I just say DUH! Cells don't just decide one day that being normal is too boring, and so they're going to be cancer instead. There is a continuum between totally normal and cancerous, and on that continuum are the dysplastic cells found on a pap. That's the POINT of a pap -- to find the cells when they're not invasive cancer but have begun a trek down the wrong path (probably hooked up with the wrong crowd, you know how it is..).

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page