do you get a pap smear every 12 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering if you all get a pap smear every 12 months like recommended? I just went today, and I really wonder how necessary it is. I've never had an abnormal pap, breast exam etc, but still go every year for a full physical. Do you get it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM

nope, I dont do the whole doctor thing. Unless its an emergency or something I cant fix myself. I get tired of their lies and make believe diseaes.
#3 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM

I do

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#4 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 PM

I do
#5 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Here, the recommendation is every 3 years if you have a history of normal paps.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM

I had a pap smear done for the 1st time a little over a year ago. I will NEVER get another pap smear again. I was VERY nervous and uncomfortable as the doctor was giving me a pap smear. The worst part of it was, as I was leaving the doctor's office, I fainted probably because I was so nervous about it. Even if it may save my life, I refuse to get one.
#7 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 PM

I got a pap every year for 15 years. I never had an abnormal year. I skipped last year and got one this year (March). Now next week I am going to have my second surgery to remove my cervical carcinoma, because the surgeon didn't get it all when I had surgery a few weeks ago.

Why would you not go? Granted, the chance of having what happened to me, happen to YOU, is not great...but chances don't mean very much when it *IS* you.
#8 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Nope. I don't go to the doctor unless something is wrong.
#9 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemaya1
nope, I dont do the whole doctor thing. Unless its an emergency or something I cant fix myself. I get tired of their lies and make believe diseaes.
You can't fix CANCER yourself. And I've never heard of a make believe carcinoma.
#10 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama
You can't fix CANCER yourself.
I did. More than once.

There are Medicines that have been around thousands of years before Western Medicine.

Quote:
I am just wondering if you all get a pap smear every 12 months like recommended? I just went today, and I really wonder how necessary it is. I've never had an abnormal pap, breast exam etc, but still go every year for a full physical. Do you get it done?
No. There are safer ways of checking for cervical cancer. Self breast exams will catch lumps sooner than a stranger who has never felt your breast before.
#11 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I got a pap every year for 15 years. I never had an abnormal year. I skipped last year and got one this year (March). Now next week I am going to have my second surgery to remove my cervical carcinoma, because the surgeon didn't get it all when I had surgery a few weeks ago.

Why would you not go? Granted, the chance of having what happened to me, happen to YOU, is not great...but chances don't mean very much when it *IS* you.
How do you know the PapSmear did not cause the problem? Many are not accurate and actually cause damage to the cervix. How do you know your surgeon is not removing scar tissue that was caused by frequent pap smears?
#12 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM

I do.

Except for one year after I moved out of my parents house and didn't have insurance anymore. Well, the next time I went, it had been about two and a half years and, whadaya know, I have my first abnormal pap ever. I ended up with a couple biopsies and a pretty serious conization of my cervix to cut out all of the pre-cancerous cells. I was only 21 and it could come back, so I see paps as a really important part of keeping myself healthy.
#13 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
No. There are safer ways of checking for cervical cancer. Self breast exams will catch lumps sooner than a stranger who has never felt your breast before.
Would you care to share these safer ways of checking for a cancer present on a microscopic level?

Also, SBE isn't being recommended any more as most women find their lumps through daily life, not SBE.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#14 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
Here, the recommendation is every 3 years if you have a history of normal paps.
Yes, this is the new ACOG and USPHTC recommendation. LOVE IT! I don't mind paps, but what a PITA to have to go in every year.

#15 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:42 PM

I haven't had one for about 10 years.

I only go to a Dr for emergencies
#16 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Every Year.

Had one abnormal pap which resulted in my cervix been 'snowballed'. My ob/gyn has a dry sense of humor. I love it.

editted to add: i love my gyn's humor not getting the pap.
#17 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Would you care to share these safer ways of checking for a cancer present on a microscopic level?
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/c...urine_test.htm
Quote:
Cervical cancer may be detected through urine test

Quote:
Also, SBE isn't being recommended any more as most women find their lumps through daily life, not SBE.
Really? I had never heard that before.
#18 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:51 PM

I don't.

I only go to the doctor when there is a problem that I can't handle myself, which so far has been never (aside from pregnancy complications but don't even get me started on THAT).

flowersforyou.gif

#19 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:54 PM

I go every single year, and when I had some abnormal paps, I went every 6 months. I have come to DETEST doctors the more I read and research throughout my pregnancy, but skipping the pap is one thing I will NEVER do. Your HPV status can come and go throughout the years, so just because you had some normal paps doesn't mean that you don't have it. My mom contracted HPV when she was 18, had 25 years of normal paps, and then had pretty severe pre-cancerous lesions that had to be removed with a cone biopsy. And she never missed a year. Unless I was a virgin, I would not even risk going every 3 years. I don't think taking an hour out of your YEAR is too much of a sacrifice for a cancer that is SOOOOO preventable and treatable, if caught early. JMO. Also, I would certainly rather make a trip to the doc once a year than get the new HPV vaccine :

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#20 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Really? I had never heard that before.
New recommendations from some research over the last few years. It's not ACOG standard yet, but is expected to be. It makes sense; SBE is damn hard to do correctly/consistently and it's not been shown to yield any more new diagnoses than the normal breast/hand contact of daily life. But I guess if someone isn't a breast handler (for want of a better word), maybe it would be a reminder, or encourage them to do so.

#21 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila
I go every single year, and when I had some abnormal paps, I went every 6 months. I have come to DETEST doctors the more I read and research throughout my pregnancy, but skipping the pap is one thing I will NEVER do. Your HPV status can come and go throughout the years, so just because you had some normal paps doesn't mean that you don't have it. My mom contracted HPV when she was 18, had 25 years of normal paps, and then had pretty severe pre-cancerous lesions that had to be removed with a cone biopsy. And she never missed a year. Unless I was a virgin, I would not even risk going every 3 years. I don't think taking an hour out of your YEAR is too much of a sacrifice for a cancer that is SOOOOO preventable and treatable, if caught early. JMO. Also, I would certainly rather make a trip to the doc once a year than get the new HPV vaccine :
Again, the USPHTF recs are for low-risk women (no prior abnormals). Yes, HPV status can change, but the natural history of the virus requires 3-5 years from infection to dysplasia.

#22 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
New recommendations from some research over the last few years. It's not ACOG standard yet, but is expected to be. It makes sense; SBE is damn hard to do correctly/consistently and it's not been shown to yield any more new diagnoses than the normal breast/hand contact of daily life. But I guess if someone isn't a breast handler (for want of a better word), maybe it would be a reminder, or encourage them to do so.
If it is the same study that was on MDC awhile ago, I thought it was just a way to promote more mammograms and really had nothing to do with actually teaching women how to accurately and consistently do SBE's, which when done that way are better than going to the doctor to feel your breasts.
#23 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I did. More than once.
That's great for you.
#24 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's great for you.
There is an entire world out there. Billions who do not have access to American Medical Care. I am not trying to offend you, but hope that you realize there are more than just the option of chemotherapy/cutting pieces of your body off/radiation to heal the body when it has cancer.
#25 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
If it is the same study that was on MDC awhile ago, I thought it was just a way to promote more mammograms and really had nothing to do with actually teaching women how to accurately and consistently do SBE's, which when done that way are better than going to the doctor to feel your breasts.
No, this has been a series of studies done mostly in nursing journals and didn't address the issue of mammogram. It was a patient education issue originally -- are we turning off patients by emphasizing SBE when so few actually do them and may feel isolated from the health care provider -- and then morphed into well, does it really matter if you do SBE at all?

#26 of 265 Old 06-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila
I go every single year I have come to DETEST doctors the more I read and research throughout my time here so far, but skipping the pap is one thing I will NEVER do. Your HPV status can come and go throughout the years, so just because you had some normal paps doesn't mean that you don't have it. Unless I was a virgin, I would not even risk going every 3 years. I don't think taking an hour out of your YEAR is too much of a sacrifice for a cancer that is SOOOOO preventable and treatable, if caught early. JMO. Also, I would certainly rather make a trip to the doc once a year than get the new HPV vaccine :
amila,

Everyone Else,

, but at the same time I'm , don't why I'm this way.
#27 of 265 Old 06-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Yep, once a year since I was 18. My sister had pre-cancerous cells "frozen" off and my grandmother had problems as well. There's NO WAY I'd ever skip a year. I hate going, but it's worth the peace of mind.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#28 of 265 Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 PM

I went for one when I was 19 and newly pregnant with my first child. I'm going for one this year, at 23-1/2 years (in my defence, the last 20 months have been crazy, and yes, I forgot about testing for me).

I haven't done that much research on pap smears yet, so I can't say if I'll be doing it regularly after this one.
#29 of 265 Old 06-10-2006, 09:40 PM

HPV positive here so I go every year like clockwork!!! No abnormals yet.
#30 of 265 Old 06-11-2006, 05:19 AM

I used to go every year until last year my doctor said to come every 2 years. Has anyone else heard every 2 years now?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page