Stones in the Saliva Glands????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt a lump on my neck and went to my Primary Care Physician. She told me that I had stones in my saliva glands. She sent me to an Ear, nose, throat doc to confirm. The Ear, nose, throat doc said that it was most likely stones in my saliva gland and to eat lemons to get more saliva to get rid of stones. He also said if it bothers me too much, we can take it out :

No, I am NOT having this cut out, thank you! I was wondering if anybody had this and tried alternative stuff, Chinese, homeopathic, etc.????
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2006, 02:28 PM

My first approach would be dietary - sour foods in particular. It doesn't have to be lemons - any sour-tasting food or drink that you enjoy would work well. Just do it frequently over the period of a few weeks, and you should be good to go. Chewing gum (particularly some of the more tart flavors) would also be a good idea. It's likely that your salivary gland will clear these on its own, with a little assistance.

There's no reason to have surgery (or other treatment) for this, imho, unless it becomes a big symptomatic problem. They generally clear on their own with lots of lemon drops.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have this problem for over 3 yrs......but I never did the sour foods EVERY DAY. I will try that.
#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 PM

my dh just went through this. We thought he had mumps at first because they were in one of his partoid glands and it swelled up. The pressure from the gland caused his ear and throat to hurt also.

The doc gave him some painkillers to take when the pain was too bad to sleep through and otherwise took a wait and see approach. About 2 months later, the pain is minimal and the appear to be clearing on their own.

Definitely give lemons, limes, or some of that nasty super sour candy that pre-teen boys torture each other with a try

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page