need immediate response! bug bite with red ring?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd (5) was playing outside when I noticed some fresh blood on the back of her neck. I wiped it off and there was a small bite/scratch. I thought it was a mosquito bite and really thought nothing of it. Then about 1.5 hours later I checked it again and there is a red ring around the bite. I am now worried. she isn't complaining about it, says it doesn't itch or hurt. Should I be concerned? Help please!!!
#2 of 7 Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 PM

double post
#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 PM

Is it a gnat bite? We get bitten by gnats all the time here. They generally bleed, then swell like crazy. They tend to be red, sometimes moreso around the edges with a bite mark in the middle. Of course, sometimes, mosquito bites do that on my Dc, too.

Edited to add: Tea tree oil works really well to control the itching. I use either a TTO cream (desert essence is my preferred brand) or the oil straight on the bite.
#4 of 7 Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply gardenmommy!

Well it isn't swollen at all, just red where the bite? is and a little pink circle now around the mark. I always thought that a ring around a bite was a bad sign? Is it common the have that with a bite? I have no idea what it could have been...if it is still ringed tomorrow I might take her in just to put my mind at ease. I really was afraid it was a poisonous spider bite or something atrocious.
#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Does she have any other symptoms? Stiff neck, fever, sluggishness?

Is she any better today?
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2006, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

I was up a few times last night checking her, and she was fine. As soon as she was up I checked her back and the ring is gone. All that is left is a red mark, doesn't look like a bite though as there is no swelling at all. She has no symptoms to speak of so I don't know, I'm stumped. Another really kind of freaky thing that went along with this is that we were at my sister's when it happened and for some reason I looked at my niece's neck right after I saw my dd's, and she had some dried blood and the same mark in the SAME PLACE.

Quick alien abduction and time warp???

Thanks for the follow up.
#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 AM

If there was a ring around the bite mark, you should get her tested for Lyme disease right away! Lyme disease is very serious and a massive infection can be avoided by a minor anti-biotic treatment right away. Did you take a picture? See the links below. There are a lot of pictures. My understanding is that the ring does not last for a long time. It is important to act quickly to avoid serious infection, and possibly years of anti-biotics.

http://www.lyme.org/gallery/rashes.html
http://www.oeghmp.at/eucalb/images_medical.html
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/...tml#picsRashes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page