Anti-Dr. Anyone else? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do go to the doctor if I really think they can help me, but I'm pretty skeptical of allopathic doctors (although there are some really smart ones out there - it's possible to get lucky). I see the doctor's role as my employee, someone who can give me the expert advice I need to make my OWN decisions. Problem is, some doctors don't see it that way - they see themselves as the decision-makers, and tell their patients only part of the story (the part they decide the patient "needs" to know).

I won't get into my issues with Western medicine in general, except to say that I am of a similar opinion to Dr. Andrew Weil - Western medicine can do great things in emergency medicine, when dealing with trauma, surgery, and a few other things. Other than that, it is not actually great for your health. For PROMOTING health, there are many therapies to look at and the whole body (and mind) must be considered IMO. If medical research were not based in capitalism and if it were predicated on a disease-PREVENTION approach rather than a disease-TREATMENT approach, I would have far more reason to trust MDs in general.

That said, I don't necessarily trust alternative practitioners any more than I trust MDs. I like to verify information about health from as many sources as I can, although often I am very bad about not following the things I know I should be doing to improve my health...but I'm great at getting the info and figuring out whether to trust it! My father was seeing an herbalist who gave him all kinds of stuff to take without telling him what it was or what it was supposed to do specifically - I would NEVER go for this. There is no practitioner, MD, DO, acupuncturist or whatever, that I would follow blindly the way my dad does with his doctors and his herbalist. I don't understand it, but that's just his mindset - when I asked him why he doesn't research the drugs or herbs he takes on the Internet, he said that that's what he pays the doctor/herbalist to do. I guess that's a pretty common way of looking at things, but it's a risky one IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 06-17-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
but to the mama who said:
get her properly evaluated for athsma I got that label and when I enlisted I had to disclose all diagnosises I laughed at that one as I had never even had one single attack up until the age of 19 but my family quack doctor dx'd it from some childhood wheezing.... so they sent me for those challenge tests = holy crap I was fully athsmatic and got a big talking to from the therapist who said you can go your whole life without experiencing it but you do have the condition underlying and when my body is pushed will have an attack under the right cirumstances so not to carry a rescue inhaler means you could become very ill or die....so its in my purse now but I still do wonder mind you...

well I smell poo sigh a mamas job never done...
I understand what you are saying, I have the misfortune of having alot of asthma in my extended family. My sister is asthmatic, and I grew up seeing what it did to her. So, when my dd was diagnosed at 1yo I was a wreck! However, 18+mo later she doesn't exhibit a single one of the many symptoms that led them to tell us she has asthma. Not one. Not only that, she no longer has chronic ear infections (she had an ear infection for 5mo straight), she no longer has a chronic runny nose, eczema... She became a different kid after we gave up dairy, even mainstream family members saw it.

I know for a fact she doesn't have asthma, she was just had a food allergy. Or maybe she did have asthma, but doesn't know that she is no longer eating dairy.

Like your grandfather I am sure if i went to a doc they'd find something wrong with her and find a way of treating it that would lead to all kinds of side effects. I don't even want to go down that path, I see no reason for it since she's a perfectly happy and healthy little girl.

flowersforyou.gif

#33 of 33 Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
I do go to the doctor if I really think they can help me, but I'm pretty skeptical of allopathic doctors (although there are some really smart ones out there - it's possible to get lucky). I see the doctor's role as my employee, someone who can give me the expert advice I need to make my OWN decisions. Problem is, some doctors don't see it that way - they see themselves as the decision-makers, and tell their patients only part of the story (the part they decide the patient "needs" to know).

I won't get into my issues with Western medicine in general, except to say that I am of a similar opinion to Dr. Andrew Weil - Western medicine can do great things in emergency medicine, when dealing with trauma, surgery, and a few other things. Other than that, it is not actually great for your health. For PROMOTING health, there are many therapies to look at and the whole body (and mind) must be considered IMO. If medical research were not based in capitalism and if it were predicated on a disease-PREVENTION approach rather than a disease-TREATMENT approach, I would have far more reason to trust MDs in general.

That said, I don't necessarily trust alternative practitioners any more than I trust MDs. I like to verify information about health from as many sources as I can, although often I am very bad about not following the things I know I should be doing to improve my health...but I'm great at getting the info and figuring out whether to trust it! My father was seeing an herbalist who gave him all kinds of stuff to take without telling him what it was or what it was supposed to do specifically - I would NEVER go for this. There is no practitioner, MD, DO, acupuncturist or whatever, that I would follow blindly the way my dad does with his doctors and his herbalist. I don't understand it, but that's just his mindset - when I asked him why he doesn't research the drugs or herbs he takes on the Internet, he said that that's what he pays the doctor/herbalist to do. I guess that's a pretty common way of looking at things, but it's a risky one IMO.
nora'smama,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page