Anti-Dr. Anyone else? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Women's Health > Anti-Dr. Anyone else?
daughter9204's Avatar daughter9204 04:05 AM 06-14-2006
Just curious how many others WILL NOT go to the dr. and what kind of things you do if you get sick or what do you do to prevent sickness, such as herbs, etc I don't want to start an arguement between those who do and those who don't i just want to see how many others feel the same way i do about the subject and maybe to get some ideas on preventive methods. I haven't went to the dr since i had my daughter and if i had more info back then i'd of had a HVBAC, i don't do the anual exams or tests, i also don't go when i'm sick: , i just wait it out and let my body work for itself.
: :

Yemaya1's Avatar Yemaya1 02:12 PM 06-15-2006
I dont go. The body will heal itself with the proper holistic treatment and diet. If I am really sick/detoxing I will go to a natural path. Who will find the spiritual and psychological reasons for my physical ailment and prescribe the proper change in diet or herb.

It can be a challenge. I had bacterial vaginosis for a second. There were times when I thought see a doctor, but changed my mind. I had bv and yeast while preganant it healed itself after birth on it own. So I know the power of healing.

Western medicine is unholistic and heals nothing. They want to tell you about a body and mind they know nothing about. I prefer to use the methods from my culture, my grandmoms, and ancestors. Its empowering, taking control of your health and family.

I might get a simple cold, but nothing major. I am happy to be a healer. Working my roots and herbs and birthing my children at home like my grandmamas.
krissi's Avatar krissi 02:36 PM 06-15-2006
Add me to the club. I am growing increasingly anti-doctor and intend to stop seeing them entirely except for a holistic ped that I'm keeping on hand for the kids. I'm planning to use a certified homeopath and a naturopath for until I feel more comfortable with my own healing knowledge, but I'm trying to build this up by massive research and possibly formal study in the future.

I blame my kids' medicalized births and overmanagement of my pregnancies for a lot of their current health problems (DD's autism and both have gut dysbiosis). I have a chronic disease that I believe originated from vaccine damage and now appears to be getting under control from diet and natural supplements. The doctor claimed I would need to do a 9-month course of prednisone to obtain the results I'm seeing and wanted me on antihypertensives for life. I have not taken bp pills in over a month and my bp is lower than it has EVER been. I'm going to go back to him once to verify my suspicions and check lab results, but if my suspicions are correct and I'm healing on my own, I'm swearing off all MDs unless I break a bone or something along those lines. If we decide to have another child, I am finding a midwife and having a homebirth. I've had enough of the BS. All they do is treat symptoms with no regard for the complexity of the mind and body or any aim toward actual cure of underlying problems. :
Yin Yang's Avatar Yin Yang 02:52 PM 06-15-2006
We don't go either. Our DS (3yo) have not been to doctor since birth basicly.
I did go to doctor few months ago and as soon as I walked in I regreted it Thinking myself - what the hellI am doing here? I am not gonna take any drugs anyway, so why am I here? DO here a diagnosis of some kind?

We have been doing chiropractic care for a year now with great results, which is coming out of our pocket, the whole family. And I recently went to a homeopath and I am looking into naturopath right now because I am having big troubles with blood sugar.

But generally I have lots of books on homeopathy and cabinet full of remedies - that's what we do when we get sick.

I also use this site quite often when we get sick. Last time I used it was when my DS had whooping cough if anyone is interested: www.healingdownloads.com to log in use word downloads (otherwise you can't access all the healing fownloads available)

I am VERY VERY ANTI-docotr and until it's very very serious and I run out all other options I will NOT go there.
mama_at_home's Avatar mama_at_home 02:58 PM 06-15-2006
I would go to a doctor for a true emergency, absolutely. Things like broken bones, serious wounds requiring stitches, etc. But other than that, no way. We don't use any OTC medicine, either. My babies were born at home and have never set foot in a doctor's office. Hopefully they never will. Doctors for the most part, only treat the symptoms of a bigger problem. Their "treatment" disrupts the body and causes other problems. No thanks!
twinsr4me's Avatar twinsr4me 04:29 PM 06-15-2006
doctors are only good for major emergencies like broken bones, lacerated organs or anything else that crucial. they are not good for sick people. my kids dont go to the doctor and wont unless they break a bone or something. Im however not entirely against doctors. my fil is a doctor in specialties and my mil was a nurse and boy did we but heads about bf and nonvaxing. that's neither here nor there. I think doctors are so brainwashed that their way is the only way that they fail to see other ways. Alot of things can so be taken care of thur homeopathic ways. anyways, i choose not to take my kids to the doctors. We were basically fired by our twins first and second peds. the first didnt want to take us on because we didnt vax and the second because i was still ebf at a year old and apparently the girls didnt weigh what he thought should weigh. they were perfectly healthy and doing everything they should have been doing developementally but he was just a subborn doctor. so no doctors for us. well that turned out to be an earful .
daughter9204's Avatar daughter9204 04:59 PM 06-15-2006
Great, i agree with y'all,,,,,,i used to go to the dr regularly and took my daughter too, had all vaxes etc. : , when my oldest daughter was 9months old she had asthma,(so they say) and for the next 5 yrs i did everything they said, lots of meds, no carpet in house, no stuffed animals, wash blankets every other day etc, finally got sick of it, stopped all meds and everything else, now she's 14yrs and never had another asthma problem,,, during my last preg. took herbs,& vit. to stop high blood pressure, went to chiropractor to adjust pelvic area for easy VBAC, it worked, i pushed for 8 min, Dr. induced which i wasn't happy about due to the risk for uterine rupture, she said no risk for that: ,,,if we get preg. again we will definately stay at home.
gentlebirthmothr's Avatar gentlebirthmothr 06:55 PM 06-15-2006
and at everyones opinions on this subject.

At this point of I'm in the in middle of the road on this subject because not sure what to think about it still. My mom is an register nurse and is totally mainstream medicine. Have several mainstream health books that I want to keep, but now want to get non mainstream ones.
GooeyRN's Avatar GooeyRN 07:05 PM 06-15-2006
I am middle of the road. I myself do not go to the doctor for minor illnesses. I will go if I feel it is something serious. I do go for annual physicals. I do take my dd for her well baby check-ups, and I do get her vaxed. (just did yesterday, actually) DD hasn't yet been sick, and she is 7.5 months old. If I feel she has something other than a minor cold, I will have her checked out. I would feel terrible if I missed something wrong with my child, and she had to suffer the consequences. I am an RN and usually know if I doc is trying to push unnecessary tests/meds. I know my limitations, as I can not diagnose medical problems. I know how to politely decline interventions that I do not agree with. Just b/c I don't agree with every single thing my dd's ped says (he is pro CIO, and for scheduled feedings which I am against) I still think he is an excellent doctor for medical issues, just not parenting. My views are he takes care of the medical issues, I take care of the parenting issues.
Attila the Honey's Avatar Attila the Honey 07:19 PM 06-15-2006
I guess my feeling is that I will go if necessary, it just is hardly ever necessary!

I am getting flak from some of the family about this, tho... my niece and dd played together and within a couple days both had pink eye. Niece got dragged to doc and got eye drops, with my dd we just went on as normal. To be honest, I thought maybe she had a touch of seasonal allergies or something was irritating her eyes and it never occurred to me this would be considered a medical event. I only found out it was pink eye a week later when I saw niece and sil and sil told me. She was all kinds of : that I didn't get dd medicine, as if her eyeballs were going to dry up into little cherry pits without antibiotics.

I get a little sick of the insinuation that I am a neglectful mom because we don't have doctor's appointments everytime we turn around, but it's OK. 5 year old niece is on 2 different daily meds for chronic conditions (allergies and eczema) and my dd is pretty healthy, so if forced to pick between her way and mine I think I'd stick with mine.
daughter9204's Avatar daughter9204 09:14 PM 06-15-2006
Attila--i understand, i get the same thing about being a neglective mama but my children are both healthy and a friend takes her child to the dr. all the time and it seems like he's sick all the time with one thing or another.
And i am sorry i did misrepresent myself alittle when i said Anti-dr. cuz i would go or take kids for broken bones or some kind of major emergency but thats about it.
Yin Yang's Avatar Yin Yang 09:22 PM 06-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughter9204
Attila--i understand, i get the same thing about being a neglective mama but my children are both healthy and a friend takes her child to the dr. all the time and it seems like he's sick all the time with one thing or another.
:
totally the same here! I just had a HUGE fight with someone about that because my son had a whooping cough and I was irresponsible and selfish because I did not take him to doctor and pump him full of antibiotics even though I found out he had it 3 weeks into it.
I also hear quite often that I am risking his life and all kinds of stuff like that. : I am so sick of it. :
daughter9204's Avatar daughter9204 09:38 PM 06-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
: I just had a HUGE fight with someone about that because my son had a whooping cough and I was irresponsible and selfish because I did not take him to doctor and pump him full of antibiotics even though I found out he had it 3 weeks into it.
I also hear quite often that I am risking his life and all kinds of stuff like that. : I am so sick of it. :
I hope your son is well now,
its a shame that more ppl don't respect our way of dealing with sickness, they just verbally attack us and tell us we're risking our childrens life,,,,i've never attacked anyone for taking their children to dr. when they have a cold or something (thats their business) ,,i realize we all love our children and want to do whats best for them, we all just have different ways of doing it, ,,,i think we all just want to be respected for our choice not insulted.
Attila the Honey's Avatar Attila the Honey 11:05 PM 06-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
:
totally the same here! I just had a HUGE fight with someone about that because my son had a whooping cough and I was irresponsible and selfish because I did not take him to doctor and pump him full of antibiotics even though I found out he had it 3 weeks into it.
I can so relate! Same thing here, whooping cough a few weeks ago and a family member told me that I was foolish and that my dd (who was acting fine aside from a very bad cough, but not sickly at all) should be in the HOSPITAL since she has ASTHMA. :

(Btw, my dd does NOT have asthma - the medicos tried to tell us she did but after giving up milk all her wheezing etc. disappeared and she hasn't had any problems in over a year and a half. Now no matter how much I try to tell some people that dd is fine, her lungs are fine, she's strong and healthy and has no sign of problems ever she's still got that asthma label and is treated by them as a weak and sickly child that must be coddled and dosed with abx at the first sign of a runny nose. Blah.)
minkajane's Avatar minkajane 02:45 PM 06-16-2006
I'm half and half. We don't do checkups (except the ones required by the military - I have to get a pap and a checkup every year), we don't vax, and we avoid meds if at all possible. I'm not opposed to giving DS some Tylenol if he's sick and achey and it's keeping him from sleeping or eating. We have given him abx twice in the past year for sinus infections. We've taken him in for serious things like 103 fever (AFTER Tylenol!), swollen foreskin (long story, but it was a yeast infection that the doc refused to culture and tried to give me abx for), and the sinus infections.

I'll go see a doc if I think it's serious, but I question everything they do and every treatment they suggest. Good thing, too, or else my son could've lost his foreskin! It was swollen and sore and if I hadn't figured out that it was yeast and had just given him the abx, it would've gotten worse and probably swollen to the point where he wouldn't have been able to pee. Which would mean instant circ to any of the docs around here!
minkajane's Avatar minkajane 02:53 PM 06-16-2006
Double post.
minkajane's Avatar minkajane 03:01 PM 06-16-2006
Triple post!
gentlebirthmothr's Avatar gentlebirthmothr 05:12 PM 06-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane
I'm half and half. We don't do checkups (except the ones required by the military - I have to get a pap and a checkup every year), we don't vax, and we avoid meds if at all possible. I'm not opposed to giving DS some Tylenol if he's sick and achey and it's keeping him from sleeping or eating. We have given him abx twice in the past year for sinus infections. We've taken him in for serious things like 103 fever (AFTER Tylenol!), swollen foreskin (long story, but it was a yeast infection that the doc refused to culture and tried to give me abx for), and the sinus infections.

I'll go see a doc if I think it's serious, but I question everything they do and every treatment they suggest. Good thing, too, or else my son could've lost his foreskin! It was swollen and sore and if I hadn't figured out that it was yeast and had just given him the abx, it would've gotten worse and probably swollen to the point where he wouldn't have been able to pee. Which would mean instant circ to any of the docs around here!
Mandy,

I'm sorta and because I feel better if I go to my yearly checkups and also when I become a mama, the same for my child/ren, but will not be vaccinated anymore or my child/ren neither or have my son/s circ.
mother culture's Avatar mother culture 05:24 PM 06-16-2006
I have not been to the doctor for anything since my son was born in 2000.
I have also not needed to take my children to a doctor for any reason. We are very healthy and have mild symptoms a few times per year and use herbal remedies. I make cough cordials and timctures and we eat garlic and onions often. I also use Superfood and suplements on a regular basis. My Husband on the other hand has broken a few bones in his Mountian biking and needed care but we still supplemented and he drank a ton of Comfrey tea and Bone soup and recovered quickly.
desertpenguin's Avatar desertpenguin 05:42 PM 06-16-2006
i'm somewhat anti doctor as well. ime, they're never very helpful in treating illness. they just say "you have xyz, so take this drug."
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 06:10 PM 06-16-2006
my grandfather (died at 94) went to see a doctor once in like 30 years before he got a small stroke at 92. (and it was to have a skin cancer removed) he would say I go see the doctor they will find something wrong at my age and try to fix it, and while trying to fix it they will kill me.

he's kinda right

Me I go for what needs to be done, broken bones, I do go once a year for a height weight type thing and some blood work but I also hate the type of doctor that will dole out high cholesterol pills without telling the patient to change diet even it it means to go vegetarian to stop it.

Mind you my doctor rocks I can't get antiboitics off her if I bribed her.
3 kids 18 years of kid time and I have gotten one script for pnemonia for the baby that's it. (and it was seen on xray) she will only give me sulpha most of the time. She's also too honest with me 'you're fat get out and walk, loose the weight before it causes problems' meanwhile I have friends that are 100 pounds overweight ( i was carrying about 40 extra) with diabetis and their doctors would never be that honest with them..... sigh mine is.

my dd has mild scoliosis and thank god she x'ed the every 3 month xrays and sent me to a chiro (who will feel more anyhow than those rays) she also refuses to give me birth control pills as they are too dangerous.... many people want 'customer service' not the type of relationship I have with my GP

but to the mama who said:
Quote:
she's strong and healthy and has no sign of problems ever she's still got that asthma label
get her properly evaluated for athsma I got that label and when I enlisted I had to disclose all diagnosises I laughed at that one as I had never even had one single attack up until the age of 19 but my family quack doctor dx'd it from some childhood wheezing.... so they sent me for those challenge tests = holy crap I was fully athsmatic and got a big talking to from the therapist who said you can go your whole life without experiencing it but you do have the condition underlying and when my body is pushed will have an attack under the right cirumstances so not to carry a rescue inhaler means you could become very ill or die....so its in my purse now but I still do wonder mind you...

well I smell poo sigh a mamas job never done...
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 06:16 PM 06-16-2006
I believe there is a time and place for Dr's such as in extreme emergency or for some of their diagnostic machines.

For general run of the mill illness we stay home and take lots of Vitamin C.

We rarely get sick. And I think it because of decent diet proper vitamins and minerals to prevent deficiencies. Deficiencies that cause us to get the flu and whatever have you.
Yin Yang's Avatar Yin Yang 09:14 PM 06-16-2006
Shiloh ~ WOW to your doctor!! WOW WOW WOW! She rocks! One in million....
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 09:25 PM 06-16-2006
yeah but
my friend who was ultra crunchy in her first year practicing read her the riot act publically and told her she would report her for perscribing antiboitics for a viral infection as it wasn't the perscribed method of treatment...since then no antiboitics unless you are dying. Mind you I went to a walkin and the baby had an open infection skin - the doctor said he won't perscribe antis for children without pnemonia or a life altering condition as it affects growth,height and is nasty for the growing body.

she also won't give me a disablity cert as she thinks working is best/having the abilty to work emmotionally although she aknowledges I more than qualify for disablity. I respect her for that as even though I am SAHM and that disablity pension would rock now...sigh. But she's tough on me, the only thing that gets me is she wants me to tie my tubes 3 kids disabled yeah I get it but...

yeah she's okay.
ps I am in Canada though...
Yin Yang's Avatar Yin Yang 09:40 PM 06-16-2006
I guess there is ALWAYS something about everyone.

When my DS was born we had the greatest pediatrician who totally believed in homebirths - even came to our house after the birth so I didn't have to come to the office!! He rocked!! He basicly told us there is no point coming to him if we don't vax. These were his words: you need to have a doctor in case of emergencies, you don't need to pay us to come and have your child weighted and measured! Then you DO WANNA go to a doctor like that because they are just great to talk to!
The funny thing is - he really believed every doctor was like him! We moved and I never bothered to try to find someone like him.
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 11:47 PM 06-16-2006
Quote:
These were his words: you need to have a doctor in case of emergencies, you don't need to pay us to come and have your child weighted and measured! Then you DO WANNA go to a doctor like that because they are just great to talk to!
lol so true, have you read how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor? I am lucky my doctor doesn't 'do' well baby visits but I have friends that go once a month with their kids until they are like 3.... well not close friends

Like what for? I mean you know if your kid is too skinny, if they have a fever (I don't even own a thermometre) I figure you know when your kid is hot and if they have problems I am not going to justify oh it was only 102, that's their job.
Attached Mama's Avatar Attached Mama 11:58 PM 06-16-2006
I agree docs are only for emergencies such as broken bones etc. However I bring DD to a ped (no vax tho) so that if God forbid I ever do have to go to the ER I don't get reported for not having ever brought her to a doc. Seriously I think her ped visits are a joke....
rareimer's Avatar rareimer 03:17 AM 06-17-2006
i don't go to the doctor. maybe i would if something was really seriously wrong, and i didn't know what it was or how to treat it. (same goes for my kids.) if i know what's wrong, i will find out myself about ways i can treat it, naturally, and i go to the doctor as seldom as possible.

i can usually tell what he'll say about something before i even see him, and every time i do go, i think, "this is going to be a big waste of time." and every single time, it is. so i just stopped going for the most part, and me and my family have never been healthier.

i prefer to treat with homeopathics, herbs, or just plain old TLC and watchful waiting. and a healthy diet and lifestyle--we are healthier than ever this way, so we have no need for a doc most of the time. i don't want to take drugs or give drugs to my kids. i know that is all the doctor will be able to suggest, so why go?
boongirl's Avatar boongirl 03:19 AM 06-17-2006
I see a naturopathic doctor for my normal medical stuff, like checkups and thyroid care and minor issues. If there is something she cannot handle, she will refer me out. But, I will never, ever, as long as I live, go to an allergy/immunologist again. They are voodoo docs, imo. Those dang shots nearly ruined my immune system.
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 04:18 AM 06-17-2006
I'm not anti-doc, but I am mostly anti-allopathic medicine except for emergencies. I think checkups are ok, although so's not doing them, within a naturopathic model.

Honestly, I've seen as many scare-mongering, "you'll die without my services" chiropractors as I have MDs like that. Which goes to show it's not the modality (both chiropracty and allopathy have a lot to offer, although allopathy is also very dangerous), it's the practitioner that matters.

I do love my naturopath, and I think holistic medicine is definitely the way to go, although last time I had strep throat that became strep throat plus a sinus infection, and I threw up when I tried to take the prescribed tincture, I did resort to antibiotics. Ah well. I'm glad they're there, even if they are way, way overused.
1 2 

Up