Toddler Overheating??? help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so upset when i Saw my fair skinned 22 mo. today when i picked him up from his babysitter- I put one thick coat of sunscreen on in the AM, then had her do another coat after breakfast-- I know it was not sunburn, but His whole face was sooo flushed and red, he needed to get cooled down fast. we turned on the hose and sprinkler, which he really loved, and his body loved as well, as his color returned to normal. I also noticed this type of thing yesterday as he'd been playing in his kiddy pool with me for a while, then came inside and was really flushed... I'm scared though, I mean, he still nurses, but when i am not there, he doesn't really drink as much milk, and as much as you push fluids, he only drinks as much as he wants, you know?? so, I am going to ask his babysitter to put a cold, wet baseball hat on him when they go outside tomorrow.... oh, that reminds me, in a 8-9 hour day, they spent only one hour outside right after breakfast (early) and maybe 15 minutes outside before i got there in the afternoon... not tons of time, but the house is fan cooled, not A/C yet. We're in CT in casae that matters!
Does anyone know about toddlers and body heat regulation and sweatgland maturation?? I dont really think he sweats all that much, but he;s usually clammy, not downright sweaty... I think thats how he's supposed to be.... but what do i know?? Anyway, help!!! Also, any ideas for ways to help keep a 22 month old cooler and better hydrated are welcome!! I am thinking of having DH drop off some ice pops tomorrow to leave at her house...

TIA

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#2 of 4 Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM

I can't really answer your question, but my dh (very fair) and younger ds (not as fair but not as olive toned as me, though I'm not THAT olive) both get very flushed very easily. Dh especially. He's not dehydrated, he's not sunburned, he's very in shape, he just flushes big time. He can get flushed working hard inside in the winter when it's cool! (Like putting Xmas boxes in the attic after the holiday--we have an attic ladder.) That's just how he is.

My older ds sweats A LOT but does not flush. I only flush when I am too hot and exercising. Like when the gym doesn't turn the air on in the aerobics room :

I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone is different, that doesn't mean it has to be bad.
#3 of 4 Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 PM

My sister and I are extremely red faced if we get even a little hot, people always think we are ready to pass out from heat stroke. My toddler has the same reaction to heat and gets a very red face even though he doesn't necessarily sweat much at the time (he can get plenty sweaty at times like when he insists on sleeping under 2 blankets on a hot summer night ) . Try taking his temp when he is like that and see if it is especially high or if it is pretty normal.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

good ideas, and thanks for making me feel a little better, mamas!!!

~Holly

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page