Strep throat and antibiotics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always been leery of antibiotics. I think they have their place, but obviously they are over-prescribed and generally overused. My feelings have only been solidifed when I read "The Maker's Diet" and info here regarding healing the gut.

Anyway, my son spiked a really high fever today (104.5), and I took him to the pediatrician. She looked in his throat and thought she saw "a little bit of redness and white", and she also said that his breath also indicated that he has strep throat. She did not culture his throat, because he was already upset. She prescribed penicillin.

What would you other moms do in this situation? Are there any other alternatives for treating strep throat?
#2 of 3 Old 06-28-2006, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can he gargle yet? you can gargle echinacea/goldenseal which is what my ND told me to do...you could just give it to him orally and I am sure it would help as well..but if you can spray his mouth or get him to gargle it will help the throat feel better.
#3 of 3 Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would have insisted on a Strep test. There's a quick test they use at our peds' office. I tend to not want to waste time with something that can affect the heart if left too long to fester.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page