Bactrim (Septra) dose for prevention of UTI in reflux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading some conflicting info lately on the optimum dosage of Bactrim (Septra, TMP/SMZ) for prophylaxis in VU refluxing kids. So I thought in addition to gathering further info on recommendations, I'd also see what other kids with reflux were on. If those of you with refluxing kids wouldn't mind sharing, could you let me know what dose your kids are on, and how much they weigh? Thanks.

To start, my daughter's been on 1 tsp (5 ml) daily, will possibly be upping to 2 tsp due to increased weight since the initial prescription. She's about 38 lbs now.
#2 of 6 Old 04-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
I've been reading some conflicting info lately on the optimum dosage of Bactrim (Septra, TMP/SMZ) for prophylaxis in VU refluxing kids. So I thought in addition to gathering further info on recommendations, I'd also see what other kids with reflux were on. If those of you with refluxing kids wouldn't mind sharing, could you let me know what dose your kids are on, and how much they weigh? Thanks.

To start, my daughter's been on 1 tsp (5 ml) daily, will possibly be upping to 2 tsp due to increased weight since the initial prescription. She's about 38 lbs now.
Eggplant,

Our 2-1/2-year-old son was diagnosed with bilateral grade 3 reflux last fall. He's been on 1 tsp. Sulfatrim since October (he's about 28 pounds--a slender guy!). Had the "Deflux" procedure/surgery early March. Just stopped the Sulfatrim 10 days ago, then he got a cold w/ear infection, so more antibiotics prescribed. Meantime, urine sample revealed that he had another UTI (or had one undetected that has never gone away--he never gets fever or almost any other symptom until it's full-blown), so ped. put him on amoxicillin for 10 days. We have pressed both our urologist and pediatrician hard for answers/alternatives and are desparate to get off the antibiotics, even the preventative lower-dose type. Looking into the natural supplement "D-Mannose"--do you know anything about that?

ja'smom
#3 of 6 Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 PM

The dosage changed a little bit as she grew, but when we got to stop, she was on 3ml of Septra nightly. It was the liquid, of course, as she was an infant.
She had grade 5 reflux in the right side only.
She had a ureteral re-implant at 13 months old because she couldn't handle the antibiotics. They destroyed her gut to the point where she stopped eating. So we just had it fixed. Which was horrible and awful, but so were the antibiotics. She still has hydronephrosis but she hasn't had a UTI since the surgery, and no longer takes any meds.

Angie
#4 of 6 Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Angie,

I already replied earlier today, but for some reason it didn't go thru (I'm new to this forum!).

Sorry you all had to go thru the re-attachment, but at least it is finally resolved. We are hoping to avoid that surgery (he's already had one major surgery at 9 mos., and you're right, it was awful!).

We're trying to work with our drs. to find an alternative to the constant antibiotics. If we're successful at finding something, then we can wait and see if he does indeed grow out of it. Right now he's continuing to get UTI's even on the maintenance antibiotics, which of course is very frustrating.

Thanks for the info. What is hydronephrosis?
#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Hydronephrosis is basically a kidney always swollen with urine. It's a kidney that doesn't drain all the way. In her case it is due to a partial blockage that they are hoping she will grow out of.
As for the reflux, we had really good luck with daily toftness chiropractic treatments. Those took her from a grade 5 to about a grade 3 in less than a year, but it wasn't quite enough to be able to stop the antibiotics, which was what we really needed to do. So she had to have surgery anyway
I have recently discovered reflexology. I have her kidney reflex worked on for about a half an hour a week, and am hoping it makes a difference at her next ultrasound appt!

So sorry about your little boy. How I do NOT miss those days! Sucks about the continued UTIs. Ember had one UTI on the antibiotics, at 11 weeks old, but then no more. I think the chiropractic had a lot to do with keeping the UTIs away. The doctors kept commenting that they were suprised she didn't develop a resisitance to the Septra, and I think that's why.

Angie
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM

Septra 3ml 15lb 8mo.
Septra 3/4 tsp 17lb 4 oz 12mo.

this is from my medical notebook for son, we quit medicating with the septra shortly after 12 mo because he had been on it or another antibiotic since the day he was born, we've played russian roulette and so far no UTI's in the 2 years since we stopped, his Dr, both the uriol and primary balked us at first but after the 1st yr w/ no problems and the VCUG's coming back better each time, grade 5 in beginning down to grade 2 both dr's have lightened up some, the primary more than the uriol. We are more cautious when he is sick and have tested for UTI's a couple times when the likely culprit was something else just to be safe(er). The uriol also insists that if he has a UTI that we get him in for a VCUG asap even now at grade 2. Right now we are on a schedule of a yearly VCUG and a yearly ultrasound scheduled 6 months between.

Not recommending that you or anyone stop the septra but so far we have been lucky, I know if he were getting UTI's then I would NOT stop it.

I just realized the original question was from June of 06 is eggplant still around? how's your daughter doing?

everyone else, it's nice to read what other folks are doing for vesicourteral reflux as we have an appoint. scheduled in the near future so lets keep this thread going.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page