Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After my daughter turned a year old, she started drinking cow's milk. She had been eating yogurt and cheese, and cottage cheese for a while. She started getting painful, burning diaper rashes. I was told it could be diet related. I have allergies, just none to food. Abigail hasn't had any milk in about two or more weeks, she just one day refused to drink it, but she's continued to get diaper rashes on and off, about once to twice a week. then I realized that was about how often I was feeding her 4 oz of Activia yogurt. Could she be allergic to the yogurt? ACtivia has 17 grams of sugar in it, could the problem be the sugar?

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
oh yeah. Well, that's confusing then. Where in the heck is all dd's lactobacillus going?
I was also wondering why the yogurt is not effective for some people.
I think the lactobacilli like a slightly lower temp than the other two guys so you really have to be careful not to overheat it. Maybe you're killing them by the heat. But if not, then I don't know...
sometimes I wonder why my yogurt is not doing anything except for being a healthy treat. I wish I could do the kefir.
#543 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi's Mom
After my daughter turned a year old, she started drinking cow's milk. She had been eating yogurt and cheese, and cottage cheese for a while. She started getting painful, burning diaper rashes. I was told it could be diet related. I have allergies, just none to food. Abigail hasn't had any milk in about two or more weeks, she just one day refused to drink it, but she's continued to get diaper rashes on and off, about once to twice a week. then I realized that was about how often I was feeding her 4 oz of Activia yogurt. Could she be allergic to the yogurt? ACtivia has 17 grams of sugar in it, could the problem be the sugar?
Oh yes. Commercial yogurt is loaded with lactose and other sugars, not to mention the artificial flavors and colors. And who knows if the bacteria are really alive in it.
What kind of diaper rash? Raised spots could mean yeast. Also red ring around the anus.
If it's just raw and red it could be juice or too much fruit. These make the stool acidic, and they also feed the yeast. Yeast likes all kinds of sugar.

Home-made 24-hr. yogurt not only gets rid of the lactose, the bacteria also pre-digest the milk proteins that are hard to digest for little ones.
#544 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
EBG

Caedmyn, how is your candida protocol working for you? Are you getting better or still having die-off....

Is anybody getting better and healed besides Jane?

Well I'm about to give up.

Also, our budget is SO tight, that I won't be able to keep buying ANY supplements. We can't afford to have a normal diet. 40 dollars a week for groceries won't even get enough meat and eggs to feed 4 of us.

So I have to stop the SCD-candida-NT. it's not helping anyway. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Sorry for complaining.... I guess I'm just having a bad morning.
#545 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
I was also wondering why the yogurt is not effective for some people.
I think the lactobacilli like a slightly lower temp than the other two guys so you really have to be careful not to overheat it. Maybe you're killing them by the heat. But if not, then I don't know...
sometimes I wonder why my yogurt is not doing anything except for being a healthy treat. I wish I could do the kefir.
No - my temp's not too high so I don't know. And I think kefir is

BUT,
Quote:
Well, I'm reluctant to use the that term but yes, this diet has been amazing for me. I've been eating *illegals* for a while now (sometimes w/o enzymes.) I never overdo it though & still can't do grains. - (even soaked.)

ONe thing though that I find interesting is, the people who talk of yeast don't seem to be having the same results. I was not battling yeast. I often wonder if the SCD just doesn't work for those issues.

ETA:
EBG I know this process has probably tripled our grocery/supplement spending.
#546 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Caedmyn, how is your candida protocol working for you? Are you getting better or still having die-off....

Well I'm about to give up.

Also, our budget is SO tight, that I won't be able to keep buying ANY supplements. We can't afford to have a normal diet. 40 dollars a week for groceries won't even get enough meat and eggs to feed 4 of us.

So I have to stop the SCD-candida-NT. it's not helping anyway. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Sorry for complaining.... I guess I'm just having a bad morning.

I'm sorry things are rough for you right now. Hopefully your financial situation will improve soon.

Have you tried beet kvass? There was an excerpt in "Eat Fat Lose Fat" about someone with candida who didn't get any better with diet, etc, until she tried beet kvass. At least it would be cheap...

I'm not having much die-off at all. I feel like this diet is going to work for us, but I haven't actually seen improvements yet. I've decided to stick with the diet without cheating until Labor Day--it's allowed to cheat once a week on this diet, but I sort of went overboard with the cheating and binged. Last time I cheated we went out to eat for DH's BD and besides my meal I had about 8 cornbread muffins, 3 big bowls of ice cream, and a giant chocolate cookie If neither DD nor I are improving by Labor Day I'm going back to eating "normal" NT foods.
#547 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum

*I know we are fighting yeast, but I feel like whenever I try to step up yeast fighting measures (tried Candex, too harsh made eczema flair, I think) now am starting with V-gest (.5 capsule with meals) his eczema flairs again. I cannot tell what the eczema flairup is from. I honestly do not think I have the will power to start SCD all over and stay on the intro (for weeks?) and go to the bare minimum (not even any suppliments) I am not convinced that his eczema is all diet based anyway.
perhaps it flairs up because you ARE dealing with the yeast. that is, as they die off, their toxins leak into your lymph system and into your milk. could you stick with it long enough to get over the die off?

have you tried evening primrose oil supplements to help with your dc's eczema?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#548 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate

ONe thing though that I find interesting is, the people who talk of yeast don't seem to be having the same results. I was not battling yeast. I often wonder if the SCD just doesn't work for those issues.
I've been thinking that for a while now, too. Although I'm pretty certain firefaery had yeast issues, and it did help her, but she also did a ton of herbs and other supplements besides the diet, so maybe it was those more than the diet for her.
#549 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 AM

CHIROPRACTORS--anyone besides Pattyla tried chiropractic for their baby's sleep issues? DD woke up about 10 times last night. I have no idea why she is waking up so often. I've got to do something to get her sleeping better.
#550 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, chiropractors, craniosacral therapist, allergist, LOTS of other things.
nak so I'll post more later.
#551 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
*does fermenting foods bring about different strains of bacteria than the 24 hr yogurt has to offer?
sauerkraut is yummy and (the raw kind my mom makes) is loaded with good microbes.

Quote:
*If I heal my gut (who knows how long that will take) will he get good bacteria from my breastmilk? Will it be enough to counteract the poor start?
my intuition says that he will but you might intervene and boost his system in the meantime. why not start giving him an infant probiotic? we use maxi babydophilus (only occasionally though : ). i did discover that the easiest way to get it into ds was kinda gross. i sprinkle some on his butt and privates during a diaper change and, just like a guy, he grabs himself. only not like a big guy, he then shoves his probiotic-coated fingers into his mouth. yuck.

Quote:
* How did you go about healing your DS's eczema?
caveat: my ds's eczema was very mild. in our case, eliminating all dairy for about 2-3 months showed the biggest improvement. then i started adding supplements (omega 3-6-9, epo, probiotics). then i started with homemade kefir and raw fermented foods (my mom's sauerkraut, for starters).

i think our problem is also somewhat yeast based. when i get lazy and increase my sugar intake, i get a mild yeast flare-up. i also notice a difference in ds's butt by the end of a week at daycare. i think he is sensitive to sugar and to wheat as well. i'm in a quandary there because the center is a nut-free center so i have limited options for packaged snack items (any suggestions would be helpful!).

we were at my mom's house last week and i decided to experiment. i had 2 small scoops of organic vanilla ice cream - and then an hour later had post-nasal drip with even more the next morning, accompanied with sneezing. no more uncultured pasteurized dairy for me. i'm letting my system clear before i try raw milk cheese.

annikate: to make kefir more palatable, adding a bit of honey and vanilla extract to room temperature kefir makes it yummy (though i'm not sure if those are scd legal). xenabyte has a thread that has recently become more active "got kefir?" that has other smoothie recipes.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#552 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM

I posted the new thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...72#post5658272

I've also got a couple questions that I'm waiting for an answer to, so I'm going to repost them. I'd encourage everyone to do the same.
#553 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Just want to say to the newbies that I will be copying a lot of posts over to the August thread and adding my 2 cents...
#554 of 554 Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 PM

Whoops... meant that to go to August's thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page