Healing the Gut Tribe ~~ July! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
So... I'm wondering what do you think happens to the babies who are breastfed by a mother who has leaky gut?
From my reading and opinion, anywhere from mild intestinal flora upset to serious dysbiosis to full on immune dysfunction (autism, multiple food allergies, etc). Remembering that leaky gut also includes disrupted nutrition as well as gut flora imbalance.

There are obviously other factors. And this is again NOT to say that BF isn't 100x better than the alternatives. After all, my DS got way worse after weaning when I was convinced his problems before were all me. Well they were, but the power of BM superceded that. (Also I was working on my issues at the time too.)

I say this so people can make the connection to their problems and their babes. Not to denigrate BF'ing in any way.

Sorry I'm sensitive right now. Mentioned this to someone IRL and I won't do that again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
Been on SCD for 1 week now and was feeling great until the crimson flood came this afternoon Anyone else experience a dramatic low when this happens?
Yes I do ... I think it's nutritionally related but haven't gotten my finger on it yet. It's probably one of the last of my symptoms that are still there. I just want to sleep 13 hours/night when AF arrives and that is so not possible.
#123 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Any ideas what's causing this:

I've had a tendency toward fatigue/tiredness for a long while now, and I think a main reason for this is low iron levels BUT, I also have trouble relaxing and falling asleep. My brain just keeps running even though my body needs shutting down. (I've had anxious/paranoid tendencies for years now, but a couple of years ago, never had issues falling asleep).

I figure these symptoms could just indicate general imbalance since my body is quite depleted from the malabsorbtion issues.

Should I get my levels tested (if so, which vitamins/minerals) before I supplement, or do I just figure out doses by trial and error alone?

I really hope these questions don't sound silly. I've been feeling very lost today, very much like before starting SCD (it's only been a week, but what a glorious week it was!)
You might look into getting your adrenals and thyroid tested.

If I understand correctly, when your adrenals get out of whack it can result in a pattern like you describe (fatigue but difficulty falling asleep). I know I have some adrenal problems (although getting better by eating NT) and that's exactly how I was feeling.
#124 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Yes I do ... I think it's nutritionally related but haven't gotten my finger on it yet. It's probably one of the last of my symptoms that are still there. I just want to sleep 13 hours/night when AF arrives and that is so not possible.

My first thought is the magnesium depletion related to the hormonal changes with menstruation. Magnesium levels are lowest during menstration and just before. Magnesium utilization is increased by the presence of estrogen. And even a *lack* of sleep is associated with depleting magnesium further. Magnesium is necessary for utilization of many hormones, which affect our moods and sleep cycles. Iron, too, is depleted, of course.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic274.htm
http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic274.htm

Pat, going to take some magnesium!!

I have a blog.
#125 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 01:21 PM

That's interesting Pat ... maybe my mag. "to bowel tolerance" dosage needs to be increased around AF. Or just in general, I've done the same dose for a while now. This says to me I don't have much stored in bones for a reserve I guess.
#126 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Any ideas what's causing this:

I've had a tendency toward fatigue/tiredness for a long while now, and I think a main reason for this is low iron levels BUT, I also have trouble relaxing and falling asleep. My brain just keeps running even though my body needs shutting down. (I've had anxious/paranoid tendencies for years now, but a couple of years ago, never had issues falling asleep).
I had a terrible problem with this in graduate school. It got better when my diet improved, but it didn't really disappear until about a year ago. it could be a lot of things, but you might find some immediate relief from 5-HTP (which your body converts to serotonin and then melotonin). People start with doses of about 100 mg and take it with B-6. A sign of low B-6 is inability to recall your dreams at night. Better still is a custom amino acid blend that could be cooked up for you after blood work at Metametrix (blood spot amino acid), Doctor's Data, or Genova Diagnostics. Get the blood panel (plasma), not urine. The aminos would help with the sleep, anxiety, and paranoia. The lab work is in the neighborhood of $125 so some people just use a trial and error approach with specific aminos. Go to the PPD board here. There's a thread called "true natural remedy" on the first page now and you'll see a lot of talk about aminos.

Next step is all of the nutrients Jane mentioned plus Omega-3s. All are related to depression. Without fixing those, you could be on aminos or antidepressants for a long time. You can have a red blood cell mineral panel done at any of the labs I mention above. It includes iron, zinc, magnesium, and several others (as well as some toxic metals). If you are not taking a B-complex and a good source of Omega-3, add those now. Pretty much all of us are deficient in the good oils and most of us need more B vitamins.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#127 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I had very similar symptoms. I got a live blood analysis done which showed yeast and parasites in my blood. The person who did it recommended I take 300 mg of magnesium at night to help me sleep, which does help. I actually like magnesium tablets or capsules better than the powder Natural Calm. For me they work just as well and they are more convenient-you have to mix the powder w/ boiling water, then cool it down enough to drink it.

My naturopath suggested Vit B/folic acid shots to help with the daytime tiredness, digestive issues, immune system etc. They have really made a big difference in my level of energy. She explained the B-vitamins are co-factors for many enzymatic reactions and when we get depleted we often can't absorb enough from taking them orally, if our digestve enzymes aren't working as effectively because of the Vit B depletion.

I love the Vit C and Multivitamins from this company.
http://www.lifestar.com/Pages/intropage.html
They are expensive so when I run out I try to make do with Emergen-C and other Vit C tablets I have, but I usually end up getting sick, so I buy these again! While taking them, during the past nine months or so, I have not gotten sick.
#128 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 PM

JaneS. I thought you'd reply to my inner thought about Leaky Gut mom. I am happy to not eat grain, dairy or sugar for the rest of my life, but need a glimpse of hope that my kids are going to get better. I was looking at the embryology where the brain and the gut formation happen at the same stage of development. I wish I knew about Leaky Gut before I concieved:
#129 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah, what kind of mag capsules do you take? I tried one brand which did nothing for me and I can't really tolerate the Natural Calm.

Amanda, I had the exact same problem while in grad school. I remember falling asleep some nights thinking about a particular point I was writing about or researching and when waking up in the morning continuing the thought . . . : Scary. I think it was a combo of poor diet, stress, and obviously nutritional deficits. I felt like crap much of the time back then too.

B12 Question:
Before I started taking my B complex I took a sublingual B12 which REALLY helped me (particularly during AF). I've stopped taking the sublingual since I got the B complex but feel like I really still need it. Can one take too much B12?
#130 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
B12 Question:
Before I started taking my B complex I took a sublingual B12 which REALLY helped me (particularly during AF). I've stopped taking the sublingual since I got the B complex but feel like I really still need it. Can one take too much B12?
You can take too much of anything but with the Bs it would take a long time before that would be an issue. I would try it and see how you feel, particularly since you've had good experience with it in the past.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#131 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 08:38 PM

How do you feel better with taking B12? Specific symtoms.

I don't know if it is because of AF, re earlier discussion, but I am so incredibly exhausted today, it is a bit shocking. My night was short and interrupted, but many of my nights are at least interrupted. I finished all my magnesium, so must reread to see all the recommended supplements and order. My kitchen counter is looking like a pharmacy.

Question on CLO dosage: when you say 1-2T, is that a real tablespoon, or just your soup spoon? I think that my spoons are small, so am pretty sure I am not getting a 1:1 ratio. Wondering if I should up my CLO. I still have red bumps on the back of my arms. I realize that could be from other things too, but was hoping the CLO would take care of it. Course, I am also still taking Zoloft, but I don't feel well enough to cut back on that. Guess I need to read up about aminos. Although the last time I tried 5HTP with inositol, I didn't find it made much of a difference.

Ok, nuf rambling.
#132 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
I don't know if it is because of AF, re earlier discussion, but I am so incredibly exhausted today, it is a bit shocking.
Ummm...could it be from parenting a 4.5 y/o AND a 2.5 year old? :

Pat, tired with one child. (especially on short nights of sleep) But, I am getting old.

I have a blog.
#133 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
How do you feel better with taking B12? Specific symtoms.
MUCH more energy - like an espresso boost.

I used to take it mid-afternoon when I needed it most. I think it is b/c it is a sublingual that it works so well.
#134 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
MUCH more energy - like an espresso boost.

I used to take it mid-afternoon when I needed it most. I think it is b/c it is a sublingual that it works so well.
Sounds excellent. What brand do you take?
#135 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Ummm...could it be from parenting a 4.5 y/o AND a 2.5 year old? :

Pat, tired with one child. (especially on short nights of sleep) But, I am getting old.
The 2.5 year old definitely cut my sleep short last night. I actually didn't do that much parenting today -- I was working. However, I did 4 massages, so not like doing nothing. But I was ready to fall asleep ON my first client. That is the super tired I am talking about.
#136 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

NOW! Brand.

I actually have a NOW! sublingual B complex on order too - - I never really do well w/capsules of any kind. Don't know why.

Oh, an btw, they're not SCD legal. Don't remember if you're doing that diet or not.
#137 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 10:57 PM

I am working my way through the mountain of information (healing the gut cheat sheet and various SCD websites). :

I have a yeast problem and have probably had it for years. I have been of SCD for 3 weeks and am seeing signs of improvement. What also led me to the diet is DS's eczema (it is about 80% better than before the diet) and here I have my first question. What does it mean that everytime I try to introduce a fruit to my diet DS's eczema flairs up (he is BF with a few bites of my food here and there.) He has reacted to apples, pears, peaches and blueberries, all in cooked and mashed form, bananas seem to be ok, I only have 1 a day. Is it the yeast flairing up from the sugar? I could just skip fruit for awhile.

Quote:
aneS. I thought you'd reply to my inner thought about Leaky Gut mom. I am happy to not eat grain, dairy or sugar for the rest of my life, but need a glimpse of hope that my kids are going to get better. I was looking at the embryology where the brain and the gut formation happen at the same stage of development. I wish I knew about Leaky Gut before I concieved
I paid little attention to my body before getting pregnant. Oh the things I wish I could take back! Pregnancy and motherhood have brought me to places I never expected and I hope that by healing my gut I will give Nolan the best possible start that I can.

Quote:
I haven't tried any of those, but I have tried Pao d'Arco tea (not SCD legal, though). I drink one cup per day, first thing in the morning. A very interesting thing happened: any body odor that I had went away completely! My deodorant would work for 6-12 hours and then I would start to smell, sometimes sooner. Now, it's been over 24 hours since I took a shower and my pits are as fresh as fresh can be.

I stopped taking it for a week or so (I was sick and drinking other teas), and the smell came back gradually.

I don't know how this relates to the yeast problem I have--let's see if I remember to do the spit test when I wake up and see if I still test positive.
I am always smelly, in fact DH makes fun of me for having smelly pits. He never wears deoderant and he never stinks. What is the spit test?

One more question, does sparkling water deplete vitamins and minerals?

We create our own reality.
#138 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 PM

Oh, I missed that about smelly pits. I used to never have a problem with this. Not even need to use deoderant regularly. Recently I have found that I can now stink. Didn't realize that I might be able to do something about it!
#139 of 554 Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 PM

I'm not sure what is going on. DD has a rash on her front. All pimply bumps. The naturopath thought it might be yeast. Now it is on her back to.

I've got itchy ears, itchy eyes, itchy you get the idea. My yeast is back and bad. I haven't changed anything. We are still very strict on the diet. I am doing some keifer and have slacked on getting the co at every meal but still.... I'm thinking we need to go more drastic and cut fruit. But I don't wanna! I've got so little to look forward to in life and the ice cream we make every couple of weeks is one of those things. That and the Jennies cookies. Perhaps it is just too much honey...

Sigh.

I hate to think that all this effort and it still isn't doing anything for our yeast.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#140 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 AM

Another question...

I made my first batch of yogurt in the Salton. After 24 hrs I went to put it in the fridge and I tested the temp and it said 122. Does the batch of yogurt need to be thrown away? The thermometer is new too and it could be off? The yogurt had a nice consistency.

Quote:
I'm thinking we need to go more drastic and cut fruit. But I don't wanna! I've got so little to look forward to in life and the ice cream we make every couple of weeks is one of those things. That and the Jennies cookies. Perhaps it is just too much honey...
I hear you!

We create our own reality.
#141 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Patty, I don't think it's doing much for dd's yeast issue either.
I sent off her stool sample yesterday so I want to wait and be sure it IS yeast we're battling and if so, we'll need to try a new route. There is no way I could cut fruit from her diet totally.

What did your naturopath suggest to do for it?

Oh, and what are Jennie's cookies? Is this something good I've been missing out on?
#142 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Re: Stinky pits

I've been hanging out on Natural Home and Body Care and there many use this regimine:

Baking soda to wash their pits
Rinse with diluted Apple cider vinegar (3:1 water:ACV).
Rinse ACV and pat dry
Apply (generously for acute odour issue) The Crystal
Reapply crystal when necessary
#143 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Thanks Jane, Peri Patetic, Pat, Amanda and Sarah for your responses.

I have my work set out now, don't I! I need to read your messages at least a few times over to register the info.. Amanda, I checked out that thread you mentioned, and inositol sounds very promising. I have no idea what 5-HTP is either. :

Peri, you wouldn't imagine how many people have told me in the last week to go get my thyroid tested. Getting these tests are going to be no small feat because I don't have a family Dr.. I use the drop-in clinic, and I can only hope they'll order these tests without much fuss, but knowing how the medical system around here is, they'll call me in over and over again for no reason before I get the tests (I think Drs. here get paid a flat fee for every visit, so they love wasting time : ) Anyway, gotta get them done to figure out what are the other underlying causes for my issues.

Re: Vitamin B12

I have a prescription for the injection (I asked the Dr. for it, since he suggested pills, and I knew tht wouldn't be very effective at this time for me).

After I get that, do I keep taking the Freeda Vitamin B-complex, or should I lay-off for a while?

The Dr. I saw suggested that I shouldn't be taking them, but what do all of you think? I don't really trust what he said because he said aside from low iron and B12, I was fine )

GTR!
#144 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM
EBG

New development in DD...
Poor thing she never gets a break.
Now she has a vaginal? discharge which is greenish-yellowish, just a hint of color and mucousy, with an odd smell. I wonder if it's yeast, or UTI? I'll try to get an appointment tomorrow.... just to get tested and know what it is. If it's UTI, how can I treat it w/o abx? If it's yeast, can I put yogurt there, or TTO, also is it OK to use Nystatin if they prescribe it? I suspect/almost sure she does have systemic yeast anyway because of me and now that she is not accepting bm nothing is protecting her. She gets CO, butter, CLO, vitamins and yogurt... what else? I think she is itchy or hurting because when I change her and give her a bath she grabs her peepee and last time she was crying too.
The triage nurse on the phone told me to give her baking soda baths 4 times a day. Is it going to do any good?
#145 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I'm not sure what is going on. DD has a rash on her front. All pimply bumps. The naturopath thought it might be yeast. Now it is on her back to.

I've got itchy ears, itchy eyes, itchy you get the idea. My yeast is back and bad. I haven't changed anything. We are still very strict on the diet. I am doing some keifer and have slacked on getting the co at every meal but still.... I'm thinking we need to go more drastic and cut fruit. But I don't wanna! I've got so little to look forward to in life and the ice cream we make every couple of weeks is one of those things. That and the Jennies cookies. Perhaps it is just too much honey...

Sigh.

I hate to think that all this effort and it still isn't doing anything for our yeast.

DD had the exact same thing when I was taking Candidase- it at only went away after 1 week after I stopped. Then it came back when I started kefir. I had to give up kefir for now because it makes my eczema a lot worse.
Too much fruit also feeds the yeast, it's wise to cut back on honey and sugary fruits. Go with berries and avocado. That being said I can't resist putting a banana in my coconut smoothie or pancakes. It probably doesn't help...
#146 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
New development in DD...
Poor thing she never gets a break.
Now she has a vaginal? discharge which is greenish-yellowish, just a hint of color and mucousy, with an odd smell. I wonder if it's yeast, or UTI?
Silver Gel cures about anything. That and tea tree oil. The silver gel is not irritating. The tea tree oil must be diluted or it will sting/burn. Greenish-yellow discharge sounds like a bacterial infection though. I don't like synthetic topical (or systemic) antibiotics, personally. Silver gel, tea tree oil and lavender are natural antimicrobials, antibacterials, antifungals. I'd make up a spritzer of one of these and rinse with it at each diaper change. And I'd sprinkle acidophilous directly on the perineal area after each diaper change for a few days and then several times a day for at least a week.

The baking soda changes the skin pH so that kills off many microbials. I'd certainly try that; but do not let her drink any of the water (the baking soda can change the body's pH inappropriately if too much is consumed). Epsom salts are another soothing bath soak and do alter the cellular level in a positive way. Drinking cranberry juice helps to alter the pH of urine. (good luck with that!!) It would probably be about impossible to collect a clean catch urine without contamination, unless they catheterize her for a sterile specimen. NO WAY would I do this unless she were febrile.

How to cure a vaginal infection without medications:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7838_cure-va...nfections.html

http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/disorders/candida3.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#147 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Hey wise folks,

I've lurked around these threads on and off and have a specific question now about treating yeast with enzymes. I posted a thread separately, but I think including it here raises my chance of responses.....I'd really appreciate any insight on this.

Here's the post:

DS (3yo) has high amounts of yeast in his gut and I'd like to try some enzymes. Here's the deal: He has food allergies and leaky gut, all for unexplained reasons. We've eliminated his allergens and he's a lot better. But, he still has these really high yeast levels and really high anaerobic bacteria levels. The doc wants to treat the bacteria at the moment, which we're about to start. He'll be taking an antibiotic along with diflucan before, during, and after. He's also on probiotics. The doc said the yeast can only be treated in combination with a no/low-carb, no sugar diet, which would be impossible for DS. It would leave him eating cashews and goat yogurt, nothing else (and he doesn't even like cashews every day). So, the diet is not for us at this point. It seems, from reading this link http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm (from JaneS -- thanks!) that enzymes would be beneficial. But, I'd love help putting together the pieces.

What would you recommend he take? What are the specifics for taking them? Can I buy them at Whole Foods or do I need to go online? I'd like to move fast because the site said they are helpful in combination with diflucan, which he'll now be on for the next 20 days or so.

Thanks so so much, wise folks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#148 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
JaneS. I thought you'd reply to my inner thought about Leaky Gut mom. I am happy to not eat grain, dairy or sugar for the rest of my life, but need a glimpse of hope that my kids are going to get better. I was looking at the embryology where the brain and the gut formation happen at the same stage of development. I wish I knew about Leaky Gut before I concieved:
Believe me so do I, so do I!!!! I still have a lot of anger at the many drs who knew crap about IBS and never one mentioned the many antibiotics I had taken.

I just remember there are kids way worse off than my DS. And give thanks for the joy that he truly is, and what I do know now. It's actually killing me that I've been able to get so healthy as a result of him. As a result of what this journey has taught me. I'd much rather still be in pain myself and he be the one who has healed.
#149 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Megin!

You can try Candidase by Enzymedica at hfs. Or Candex. You take them in between meals. I'm not sure if you should take them with the Diflucan or not ... maybe just before as I have heard protocols where a yeast killer was helped by the enzymes popping the cell walls first. I would ask on Karen DeFelice's Yahoo list.

Diflucan is hard stuff, I took it once when I had thrush and the die off was unbeliveable, I was so sick. You might want to give milk thistle or research other ways of protecting the liver. Diflucan is known for causing liver damage.

Start high doses of vitamin C to mop up toxins, at least 1 gram 4x/day or more according to MT's formula depending on weight. We've been discussing it at end of Nutrition/Immunology 101 thread that is stickied at top of Vaccinations forum.

My DS has bacterial problems according to his stool tests and still cannot tolerate many fruits at all, poop goes to mush.
#150 of 554 Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla

Sigh.

UGH how infuriating!

My DS reacts more to fruit than honey. I think those cookies could also have illegal honey too, or sweetened coconut? I know the label makes it seems like they are legal but maybe they are not. Also I couldnt tolerate coconut shreds until well on the way to healing. I think you are supposed to wait 6 mos for coconut? I forget.

The kefir does make some people react. Whether it's the alcohol or the yeast. Or maybe there is still lactose in yours, how long are you brewing it?

Did you try the cellulases only between meals? I had such great success with Candex when I had thrush and I didn't know anything about why it worked then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page