Iron saturation & platelet levels... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know anything about hematology? I feel like I've been through the testing wringer lately and I'd like to know what I should be asking for instead of letting them continue to pull random tests out of their rears...

Now, keep in mind that I'm going by what I remember hearing from the doctor, so if the numbers don't make sense (like the platelet levels having extra 0's or something) just remember that I tried... :

My hemoglobin is 13.5. That's pretty decent for me, because my normal is 11

My iron saturation is 9 (they said it should be between 15 and 55)

My platelets are 850,000 or something like that. It's high and starts with an 8.

They've done an upper GI (barium drink w/ x-rays) and a colonoscopy and both checked out ok. They want to do an upper endoscopy but we're TTC and I'm a bit tired of the poking and prodding so I'm not really going to do that I don't think. They're shipping me off to a hematologist/oncologist but I have no idea what they'd be looking for anymore. They said the most likely candidate was internal bleeding which it appears I don't have. So, what else causes stuff like this? I've been on prenatal vitamins for 3 1/2 years, we eat meat, and we cook with cast iron skillets so I'm getting enough iron it--it's just not going where it's supposed to go I guess...

Thanks for any help you can give...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

User Tag List