Tick bite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How concerned would you be about a tick bite and what would you do after removing the tick?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 05:37 PM

I've had lyme disease before, so my advice would be to watch the area pretty closely for about a month or so after the bite. Initially I'd clean it like I would any other bite just to minimize risk of infection, but usually the real danger with tick bites comes later if it is going to happen.

If you develop a rash around the bite area (more than just a tiny bit of redness at the site... like a ring around it is what you are looking for)

If you start to run a fever (even low grade.. mine never went about 100)

If you start to get *extra* tired, or really achy (especially in your neck or knees) even though there is no reason for it.

If any of those things happen, even if only one happens, I'd go get the tests for lyme just to be safe. and even if they come back negative and you are still having problems, tell them about the tick bite.

Hopefully nothing will happen... but those are the signs to watch out for. And like I said, you probably won't notice any difference tomorrow, most likely you wouldn't start feeling bad until at least a week or two later (I actually waited almost 6 months before going in to the doc... bad move on my part because I ended up with nerve damage )
Old 07-15-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful reply. I marked it on the calendar so I can keep track of the time frame.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List