What can I do for my eyes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-26-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this eye problem that's been driving me crazy for over 6 months now.

I was in a really bright room and I noticed that I have spots in my vision. Very tiny, not always noticeable, generally in very bright rooms, or places without a lot in them - blank walls, etc.

I noticed that the spots move with my eyes, they are always in the exact same place in my vision.

I got really scared and made an appointment with the eye doctor immediately. He checked my eyes thoroughly and told me there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. He said I may have some protein deposits on my eyes.

That is very likely. My last pair of contacts, I had to quit wearing b/c they had so much protein buildup that I couldn't wear them a full day without being miserable and unable to see. Unfortunately we could not afford new ones so I am stuck with these horrible scratched up glasses (making the problem even worse).

Well, this is all fine and dandy that I'm pretty sure I know the problem and what caused it, but I STILL have these stupid spots, and they are INFURIATING!!!

They are distracting. I feel half-present in my life, b/c I'm constantly seeing them and even going outside (where it's almost always bright enough to see them) has become something I absolutely *dread*. I only want to be in dark rooms. I feel like I can't see right, and it's become depressing. Even looking at a computer screen is something to dread.

I am only 27 and the thought of having to live with this for the rest of my life is... unbearable.
I can't stand this, I want to cry every time I think about it.

I am begging for any ideas anyone can offer. I'm desperate. I want to see normally again. I want to be able to concentrate on someone's face without trying to see around these spots.

Anyone heard of this, have any ideas? Herbal, anything??

I tried a google search but haven't found anything related to deposits on the eyes, only on contact lenses, which does me no good.
I can't get to the eye doctor for probably another month.

eta: also: I am pregnant.
#2 of 8 Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Floaters?

Did the dr. dilate your eyes and look at them with a special light? That is the only way to check the retina properly as far as I know.
#3 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 AM

Yep, sounds like floaters. I have them but only notice them occasionally or when looking at a blank wall or the sky. Don't know much about them (possibly bits of detached vitreous humor from the eyeballs that is harmless, IIRC) but they're essentially harmless. If they're interfering with quality of life, however, that's another story. Have you been to an opthamologist (as opposed to optomitrist)?
#4 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 01:35 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Those spots are caused by tears in your vitreous (jelly-like substance in your eyes). Eventually your brain will "re-train" itself to not see them (as often). I have transitional/non-glare glasses, and that has made a big difference in getting rid of them. You are at slightly higher risk for a detached retina though, so be aware of that.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 AM

You sound like me last year. I first started noticing the floaters when I was preggo and they drove me absolutely bonkers. I too thought there was no way I could live like that for forever. Now I don't even notice them. It does take a little while but in time you won't notice them either.

ETA: It maybe took me about a year to stop seeing them. Maybe a bit less.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#6 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 AM

I am sure you have floaters! I have them for many years and sometimes I just see a lot of them and it is driving me nuts! However it gets better with time - they will not go away but you will start notice them less. It might take a year or so. Try to move your eyeballs side to side a couple of times when a particular spot bothers you. There is no cure for floaters, many neasighted people have them.
#7 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Floaters?

Did the dr. dilate your eyes and look at them with a special light? That is the only way to check the retina properly as far as I know.

Yes, he did.
My eyes are perfectly fine.

They're not floaters, they are 100% of the time in the exact same position, same size, same shape. They don't move.

It's actually on my eyes. He says there is nothing to see on/in my eyes, no problems, so what I am seeing is probably shadows from protein deposits on my cornea.
#8 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Wearing contacts that have a lot of protein deposits allow even less oxygen to reach your eyes ... I wonder if that was a factor? You might be better off with glasses for the next 6 months at least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page