Kidney Infection - Can I cure it myself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I was in horrible, awful, nasty pain. Definitely kidney pain. It was preceded by 2 days of mildly painful urination. Stupid me, I've been drinking Mountain Dew to the exclusion of no other liquids, and not enough of that to keep a mouse hydrated. I've stepped up my water and gatoraid (I hate water) intake since then, but now I've got this infection. I don't want to see a doctor unless I absolutely have to. I'm pretty sure it's not stones, the pain is constant and if I understand right, with stones, the pain comes and goes.

Symptoms: Extreme pain in flank area of back, cloudy urine, very painful, burning sensation when urinating, frequent need to urinate. The pain in my back isn't as bad as it was last night, but it's enough to keep me up again tonight. No fever, I feel fine except the pain in my back and the pain when I urinate.

Please, tell me I can cure this on my own without too much specialty stuff, we have a limited and expensive health supply store.

(I've had 1 UTI my whole life, 11 years ago, this isn't a common occurance)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#2 of 7 Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't give any first hand advice, having not had one since I started doing the bulk of our medical care at home. I am certain that someone here will have some wonderful advice, so I hate to even suggest anything. I do know they hurt like the dickens so I empathize with you for sure!!!

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 7 Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm not sure if the same holds true for kidney infections as it does for bladder infections, but with a bladder infection, I usually hydrate hydrate hydrate, and go to the bathroom when ever you feel you need to, no matter how much it hurts. You can drink cranberry juice, I think that is supposed to make a inhospitable habitat for those little germies. I eat lots of garlic for it's antiviral and antibacterial effects too. I have no idea if this is true for kidney infections, but it can't help to try. I wouldn't wait too long to see a doctor if it doesn't clear up fairly quickly though, because you may need antibiotics if it has gone on too long. Are you running a fever too?

#4 of 7 Old 07-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly
I'm not sure if the same holds true for kidney infections as it does for bladder infections, but with a bladder infection, I usually hydrate hydrate hydrate, and go to the bathroom when ever you feel you need to, no matter how much it hurts. You can drink cranberry juice, I think that is supposed to make a inhospitable habitat for those little germies. I eat lots of garlic for it's antiviral and antibacterial effects too. I have no idea if this is true for kidney infections, but it can't help to try. I wouldn't wait too long to see a doctor if it doesn't clear up fairly quickly though, because you may need antibiotics if it has gone on too long. Are you running a fever too?
I second that. I also don't know if it would work for kidney infections, but it definitely works for bladder infections and I think the principle would be the same. I would drink unsweeted very diluted cranberry juice and aim to drink 2 gallons (I'm serious ) over the next 24 hours, so that you find yourself having to pee about every 20-30 minutes minimum.
#5 of 7 Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got a kidney infection after several bladder infections that I "cured" with drinking tons of cranberry juice. I vote for go to the doctor right away. all you should need are some antibiotics so a quick care, NP, health dept. should do the trick. I wouldn't think you could flush out the kidneys like you can the bladder.
3lilchunklins likes this.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you...the pain got so bad I seriously wanted to die, so I called the doctor who took care of my stitching after my homebirth, he called in antibiotics. I hate taking them, I think I'm getting a migraine from them and I can't use dairy or use any supplements to ward off a YI (....yeah, causes migraines, everything seems to for me)....and now I'm getting a fever AFTER starting the abx and taking asprin. Sigh. So much for going hiking tomorrow :

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#7 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Kidney infection and UTI are 2 different beasts. UTI can be cured with didn't tons of cranberry juice, but make sure its 100% juice, not cranberry cocktail. I have had a bunch of UTIs. Only once have I had a kidney infection. I was 20 wks Preg, running a fever, and had such a bad headache, I felt like there was a knife in my head. Tylenol would not even touch the pain. I ended up in the ER. On IV for fluids and abx, getting all kinda tests, and ended up needing percocet for my head!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page