~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my goat milk yogurt is really runny. Do you think the bacteria is active? The milk was only 1% and I used sheep's milk starter with 4 capsules of Primadophilus L Reuteri mixed into the starter.

I don't mind that it is runny this time but I would like to know how to improve its consistency.

Jane, what do you use to start your goat milk yogurt? (I think it was you that makes it?)

I made my first fermented veggies tonight, cannot wait to see how they turn out! I tried ginger carrots and asparagus.

We create our own reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Goat milk yogurt IS runny. There is no way to improve the consistency. Reminds me of coconut milk. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hrs (or overnight) and then taste it. My goat yogurt tastes absolutely revolting before I add honey and raspberries to it. That's how I know it is working
Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Probiotic Recommendation:

Spent $$$ last week on probiotics (multiflora...I think) only to read the label carefully yesterday (i.e. beyond the bacteria in it - duh) and see that ir contains rice starch. I think I need just a good balanced one without any yeast wheat soy, rice, whatever (nothing candida friendly). Do I need one that has many strains, or is one or two strains more important - I know I could read the probiotic thread you've all been talking about, but that would atke so much time, and you are already doing it
I have never had a problem with rice...in fact, it's one of the things that I can eat and suffer no consquences (knock on wood, lol!).
Personally, I have found the soil-based organisms containing more strains has helped me more than probiotics that contain two.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Goat milk yogurt IS runny. There is no way to improve the consistency. Reminds me of coconut milk. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hrs (or overnight) and then taste it. My goat yogurt tastes absolutely revolting before I add honey and raspberries to it. That's how I know it is working
I guess it was a success then because it was very tart. I hope I get used to the taste because I cannot have any fruit and I try to stay away from honey. I also bought some goat milk cheddar cheese and it doesn't taste spectacular either. What gives, I LOVE the spreadable chevre!

We'll see if Nolan's eczema changes with the switch to goat milk. I would like to try raw cow milk but it is no way to try it without first buying a cowshare ($$$)

Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Hey everyone! Just checking back in. I just got the internet back a day or two ago. I have alot to catch up on! Glad to see you all here.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Hey everyone! Just checking back in. I just got the internet back a day or two ago. I have alot to catch up on! Glad to see you all here.
Welcome! You've been missed. How's the babe, how was the birth and all that good stuff
Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Anyone who is wondering, the price-pottenger raw liver coctail tastes like tomato juice. Nothing else. I'm on day two of drinking it trying to get some iron into me.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM

Extra super fantastic. Labor was really hard-he was acynclitic. I got super lucky and as we were talking about transport two chiropractos got called in and worked on me for six straight hours. He was born at home in the water and into my hands. It was wonderful (22 hour labor not withstanding!) I had four friends, three midwives and the two chiropractors there. It definitely began to feel like a community event! I healed easily and quickly and breastfeeding is going great!

I did do the cocktail at the end of pregnancy. It really wasn't too bad.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
EBG

Yogurt mamas,
Has anyone tried to culture Culturelle l. GG with the yogurt cultures (Yogourmet). I'm interested in adding some strains, too. Will look into the primadophilus reuteri but I only have Culturelle on hand right now.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Yogurt mamas,
Has anyone tried to culture Culturelle l. GG with the yogurt cultures (Yogourmet). I'm interested in adding some strains, too. Will look into the primadophilus reuteri but I only have Culturelle on hand right now.
No but I'm sure you can as I've seen some studies that used milk cultured with it.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Extra super fantastic. Labor was really hard-he was acynclitic. I got super lucky and as we were talking about transport two chiropractos got called in and worked on me for six straight hours. He was born at home in the water and into my hands. It was wonderful (22 hour labor not withstanding!) I had four friends, three midwives and the two chiropractors there. It definitely began to feel like a community event! I healed easily and quickly and breastfeeding is going great!

Wow, you are one determined mama, congratulations!!!!

Welcome to the world little Elf!

I saw your post re: bf'ing and that is very, very interesting. I'm so happy you figured things out.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Anyone who is wondering, the price-pottenger raw liver coctail tastes like tomato juice. Nothing else. I'm on day two of drinking it trying to get some iron into me.
That's inspiring!

You are drinking a whole 1/4 lb. at a time?

Are you doing pastured eggs (yolks) too? That is supposed to be another sure fire source.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
Jane, what do you use to start your goat milk yogurt? (I think it was you that makes it?)
Progurt dairy free yogurt starter from GIProHealth. It's L. casei instead of L. acidophilus. It's always runny here, esp. the raw milk stuff.

Ugh, hit button too soon again....

We just drink it most of the time.

For more firmness: drip it or add gelatin to make Panna Cotta. Drink whey too, or save for ferments, it contains a lot of probiotics. Hope your veggies turn out great!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
That's inspiring!

You are drinking a whole 1/4 lb. at a time?

Are you doing pastured eggs (yolks) too? That is supposed to be another sure fire source.
Not 1/4 lb. Just a small piece. That is what my recipe said, 1-2 tbsp worth.

We do tons of eggs. Almost daily. Always pastured.

our family is <>< and :
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 PM

JaneS:
Moving over a topic from another thread:
So what else would cause a baby to react to certain foods in breastmilk?

Another question for you:
On this anti-candida diet I'm doing, only very low carb veggies are allowed, which means carrots, squash, and peas are not allowed. I asked the "founder" of the diet why it mattered whether I eat 20 carbs of squash in a meal or 20 carbs of green beans, cucumber, and onion in a meal. Her basic response was:
Quote:
It's not about the total carb count; it's the kind of
carbs, some of which feed candida. In fact all carbs turn into sugar
in the body, but the ones that are okayed for candida are the lowest
in sugar and carb content. Candida sufferers cannot avoid eating all
carbs. The range of veggies allowed contain low carbs & sugars, so it is
not the total count of carbs that matters. If it didn't matter where
you got your carbs from you could eat fruits, sugar and have milk and
cheese. But that isn't how it works. The higher the carb & sugar
content in a particular food the more it will feed candida and the
sicker you will feel.
This does not make sense to me. I understand that there are different types of sugars, and sugars like those found in dairy, starches, fruits, and sugar/honey/etc can feed yeast. But unless there is something I don't know about the particular sugars in carrots, peas, and squash, I don't understand why I can't eat them as long as I keep my total carb count within the "recommended" range for this diet (so basically her advice is coming across a load of bull). Do you have any insight on this?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
What is the raw liver coctail? Is it in NT?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Progurt dairy free yogurt starter from GIProHealth. It's L. casei instead of L. acidophilus. It's always runny here, esp. the raw milk stuff.

Ugh, hit button too soon again....

We just drink it most of the time.

For more firmness: drip it or add gelatin to make Panna Cotta. Drink whey too, or save for ferments, it contains a lot of probiotics. Hope your veggies turn out great!
Thanks! I will try both things to make it more palatable. Any suggestions for making it taste better? (Other than fruit or honey)

Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I did do the cocktail at the end of pregnancy. It really wasn't too bad.
Congrats, Sounds like an awsome birth! If you ever write out a long version I'd love to read it.

I also read your post about breastfeeding, you must feel great about finally figuring it out! I have a friend due any day, she had no milk come in with her first baby and I am going to see if I can do some research on the oxytocin and fill her in.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks, Jane. The interesting bit is that this time my milk did come in...just not anywhere near enough (so it almost doesn't count, but it was there!) so the gut healing thing did quite a bit as the last two times there was NOTHING. It's also pretty amazing that I got through labor as I did and that the afterpains were nothing and the bleeding was minimal and didn't last long at all. My body is in a much different place for sure-now to keep moving forward! I truly believe (as do my docs) that if my gut had been *fully* healed I wouldn't have needed the hormones. It's ALL related!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM

Nolan'smum-feel free to pm me if you have questions for your friend. Unfortunately I am the queen of trouble-shooting in breastfeeding.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 AM

I am exhausted. Any chance that this is die off? I'm feeling like I felt when dd was about 12 months old and I was dx'ed hypothyroid. My dr checks it pretty regularly and it seems to be staying in the right range on my meds, but could it have changed suddenly? I'm not sure what else is going on but I'm a walking zombie (and no I'm not possibly pg). I guess it could also be my anemia but it has never bothered me before and I get more iron in my diet than ever before right now (although I've been a bit low on the red meat the past couple of weeks I guess).
Anyone have any good ideas on how to up my iron quickly that won't screw up my gut? I'm considering the shots if I can get my Dr to do them. I know they hurt but if they will help me feel better...

our family is <>< and :
Old 08-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Was someone taking Pharmax probiotics at some point?

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/vie...ory.asp?cat=39
Old 08-12-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Jane. The interesting bit is that this time my milk did come in...just not anywhere near enough (so it almost doesn't count, but it was there!) so the gut healing thing did quite a bit as the last two times there was NOTHING. It's also pretty amazing that I got through labor as I did and that the afterpains were nothing and the bleeding was minimal and didn't last long at all. My body is in a much different place for sure-now to keep moving forward! I truly believe (as do my docs) that if my gut had been *fully* healed I wouldn't have needed the hormones. It's ALL related!
Well regardless, it sounds head and shoulders better than where you have been before.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
Thanks! I will try both things to make it more palatable. Any suggestions for making it taste better? (Other than fruit or honey)
Dripping does make it taste less tart (but also a significant amt of probiotics are in the whey).

We use Frontier Alcohol free vanilla extract. It's with Glycerine, which tastes sweet. G. is technically a fat though, not a sugar and is SCD legal.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:41 AM

Caedmyn,

I'll be back to discuss, worn out right now (that should teach me!)
Old 08-12-2006, 02:43 AM

Patty, what about B vits and zinc?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Patty, what about B vits and zinc?
I take 50-60 of zink daily and a stress b plus extra folic acid and b-6.

our family is <>< and :
Old 08-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- Eating just one meal high in saturated fat -- in this case, carrot cake and a milkshake -- can quickly prevent "good" cholesterol from protecting the body against clogged arteries, a small study shows.

The results of the research weren't a surprise to the experts, but they say the findings reaffirm something that more people need to understand:

"What we put into our mouth makes a big difference in terms of our health," said Dr. Charles McCauley, a cardiologist with Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin, who reviewed the research but wasn't involved with the study. "We really have to be very careful as to how our food is processed and what kind of ingredients we use."

In the study, at The Heart Research Institute in Sydney, Australia, 14 people, ages 18-40, ate two meals of carrot cake and a milkshake one month apart. One meal was high in saturated fat -- using coconut oil -- and the other was high in polyunsaturated fat -- using safflower oil.

Saturated fat has long been linked to the buildup of plaque that can lead to heart attacks and strokes. HDL, the "good" cholesterol, protects arteries from the inflammation that leads to artery-clogging plaques. And plaque hurts the ability of arteries to expand to carry blood to tissues and organs.

The researchers, led by Dr. Stephen Nicholls, a cardiologist now at the Cleveland Clinic, found that three hours after eating the saturated-fat cake and shake, the lining of the arteries was hindered from expanding to increase blood flow. And after six hours, the anti-inflammatory qualities of the good cholesterol were reduced.

But the polyunsaturated meal seemed to improve those anti-inflammatory qualities. Also, fewer inflammatory agents were found in the arteries than before the meal.

"They're looking at things in terms of real live living," said McCauley. "Carrot cake. How more real does that get?"

The study appears in the Aug. 15 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

"It's a simple study. Sometimes the best studies are those that are very straightforward," said Dr. Richard Milani, head of preventive cardiology at Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans, Louisiana.

He notes that the research isn't suggesting that people eat a steady diet of carrot cake and milkshakes.

However, he said, "given a choice between something with polyunsaturated fat and saturated fat, please avoid the saturated fat."

Nicholls said "the take-home, public-health message is this: It's further evidence to support the need to aggressively reduce the amount of saturated fat consumed in the diet."

Saturated fats are found mostly in food from animals, including beef, pork, lard, poultry fat, butter, milk and cheeses, and some plants, including coconut oil, palm oil and cocoa butter.

Polyunsaturated fats are found in oils from plants, including safflower, sesame and sunflower seeds, corn and soybeans, many nuts and seeds.

Dr. James O'Keefe, a cardiologist at the Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Missouri, said Nicholls' study shows "a really important concept -- when you eat the wrong types of food, inflammation and damage to the vessels happens immediately afterward."

Too many people simply are eating the wrong kind of fats, O'Keefe said.

"Even one meal of a double cheeseburger with fries and a Coke will mess up your system, let alone a steady diet of it, which is recipe for disaster," O'Keefe said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
Found Here

Thoughts??? (other than on the ridiculously small sample size?)

our family is <>< and :
Old 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM

: I am pretty sure I belong here; you can see my self-pity post here.

Patty, my first thought is that the quality of saturated fats are not taken into account (factory farmed, grain-fed, versus pastured, organic or cold-pressed) and how exactly can they isolate saturated fats from the other foods being consumed, and the insulin connection from refined foods is well-documented with regards to affecting cholesterol.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 PM

I am working on fermented veggies to help Evan's gut. I fermented some carrot chunks with a little cabbage in the bottom. They taste good, but they make me burp. Does that mean there is anything wrong with them ? I'm afraid to let him try any until I find out if they are ok or not...

Thanks !

Linda B.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular

User Tag List