~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I did just find that Pharmax has one for infants that says dairy free but it has lactose.
I'm almost positive the Pharmax one has strains besides bifidus, so it's not for EBF babies (in spite of what the manufacturer's recommendations for use are).
#422 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Caedmyn,
Is the cabbage juice helping? I'm planning to start Bee's candida diet and since I've been on a somewhat candida diet and garlic for a long time, I'll just jump right in with the cabbage rejuvelac.
It gave me some bloating and a rumbly stomach, so I assume it's killing something in there
#423 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 AM

Pharmax is a fabulous company but their Neonate probiotic should NOT be used for EBF.

Jane~so many hugs going your way! Immunolabs will be a good bet for you if you choose to pursue allergy testing. Don't do the pediatric panel, do the adult. Slightly more expensive (insurance should cover it) but people don't understand that if you breastfed it's irrelevant what the child has or hasn't eaten. IF you had a damaged gut and ate it, so did he. It's very accurate, no false positives, but there may be false negatives (dd didn't come up allergic to dairy, but she is) THe accuracy is better the older the child is. They can test for yeast as well as environmental, IgG and IgE reactions.

We've done many other "alternative" things as you know, but I did post awhile back that I got a medical intuituve to read for them and she got EVERYTHING on the panel as well as a few that weren't there. I hadn't seen the panel when I got the reading and was shocked when the results finally came. I chose not to eliminate dairy for dd because it wasn't on the panel. It was a mistake. THe reading in my mind was more accurate.

I'm sorry about your doc, I wasn't happy from what you were posting online. Homeopathy really only works if the person is great, and in my experience nobody who is great does more than just homeopathy. I run quickly from anyone who is an ND, but does homeopathy/accupuncture etc. Too much. Doesnt' give you time to be anything more than good at any one thing. Just my opinion, but I've worked with many docs and seen it time and again.

So you have or haven't done the NAET? Have you though about doing any other kinds of testing? With someone who knows what they are doing muscle testing is very accurate. You could start by testing what he is eating and then branch out. The Immunolabs test is nice because they test for something like 180 foods all at once. He's either got antigens or he doesn't.

I know it may not be an attractive option (and don't shoot me here) but have you thought about eliminating the goat products? If he reacts that strongly to cow's I'd think about it. THey are different, but not that different. IT may be something that is holding his healing back. Ds cannot do cow's dairy at all (MAJOR reactions) and I did goat's for awhile and didn't *see* a reaction. THere was one. IT just took longer to show up. Since it's been gone, if he gets it again the rash on his cheeks flares right on up again and his behavior is off the wall. Just a thought. I know of two other people that have the same issue. Major reactions to cow dairy and milder, albeit significant reactions to goat's.

I'll try to write more later-nak is making this tough.
#424 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
EBG

OT
Mercola is hawking a new probiotic cultured in goat's milk, 26 billion CFUs. Contains l. acidophilus, l. casei, b. longum, thermophilus and bulgaricus. So it's not much different from our yogurt... I wonder if you could use it as a starter since it has the yogurt bugs...and it's cultured in goat milk. But it has bifidus
#425 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
We've done many other "alternative" things as you know, but I did post awhile back that I got a medical intuituve to read for them and she got EVERYTHING on the panel as well as a few that weren't there. I hadn't seen the panel when I got the reading and was shocked when the results finally came. I chose not to eliminate dairy for dd because it wasn't on the panel. It was a mistake. THe reading in my mind was more accurate.
Is this the lady that we talked about several months ago? I really should call her again.
#426 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 PM

That would be her!
#427 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Aren't some of you in CT? I'm going to be at my parents in Tolland from the 23 to the 30th of this month...

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#428 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM

I am! I even have relatives in Tolland!
#429 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Oooo!!! Can I squeeze your new wee one while I'm there???? How far from Tolland are you? I won't have a car but can borrow my parents some if needed.

our family is <>< and :
#430 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I might be able to but if I could find something that wasn't me telling her that die off is normal it would sure help. Honestly she probably won't even read it. I should just make up an article.....:

The candida support yahoo group had info about die-off. YOu have to sign up but it is free. If you look in their 'files' they have an article 'healing naturally and die-off symptoms'

We create our own reality.
#431 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum

The candida support yahoo group had info about die-off. YOu have to sign up but it is free. If you look in their 'files' they have an article 'healing naturally and die-off symptoms'
Yea but she doesn't think she has yeast so that won't work for her. Hmmm... if I can convince her that she has yeast... which she probably does... Hmmmmm....

Thanks!

our family is <>< and :
#432 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:39 PM

OY Caedmyn, you are putting me thru the wringer...

I was feeling so good about maybe possibly ttc in the new year with my "healed gut" and now I'm not so sure!!

(What exactly is the test for a "healed gut"... eating absolutely anything you want including the worse foods you can imagine??)
#433 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
OT
Mercola is hawking a new probiotic cultured in goat's milk, 26 billion CFUs. Contains l. acidophilus, l. casei, b. longum, thermophilus and bulgaricus. So it's not much different from our yogurt... I wonder if you could use it as a starter since it has the yogurt bugs...and it's cultured in goat milk. But it has bifidus
It's really Mt. Capra Probiotics Plus under his brand name, and you can get Mt. C cheaper elsewhere.
#434 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 PM

BTW- I am currently culturing yogurt w/megaflora as a starter. I did one qt with just megaflora and one with megaflora plus a packet of yogurmet. I'll let you know how it comes out tomorrow.

our family is <>< and :
#435 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Pharmax is a fabulous company but their Neonate probiotic should NOT be used for EBF.
Why is that, FOS? I noticed it said "no dairy" but still had lactose, thought that was weird.

Quote:
Jane~so many hugs going your way! Immunolabs will be a good bet for you if you choose to pursue allergy testing. Don't do the pediatric panel, do the adult. ... They can test for yeast as well as environmental, IgG and IgE reactions.
That sounds good, thank you! I'll check it out and take it up with the doc.

Quote:
We've done many other "alternative" things as you know, but I did post awhile back that I got a medical intuituve to read for them and she got EVERYTHING on the panel as well as a few that weren't there.
OMG, DH will flip about this one but can you PM me info?!

Quote:
So you have or haven't done the NAET? Have you though about doing any other kinds of testing? With someone who knows what they are doing muscle testing is very accurate. You could start by testing what he is eating and then branch out.
We did the first balancing session with the MD/Homeopath/Herbalist/NAET Practioner ... I lost trust in her. And she didnt' sound positive describing NAET results (and isn't a positive intent everything in energy healing?)

Quote:
I know it may not be an attractive option (and don't shoot me here) but have you thought about eliminating the goat products? If he reacts that strongly to cow's I'd think about it.
Hey no worries, not like I hadn't thought of it too, albeit sadly. The thing is that he was on SCD for more months OFF goat yogurt and dairy in any form than on it. It's possible that is holding him back, but generally my notes and my and DH's impressions are that his central nervous system has matured even if his gut has not. At least with the raw goat yogurt he started growing again too. There's no way I'd get that much broth into him, it's already a struggle. Maybe coconut milk with dolomite powder. UGH. But absolutely this is a consideration.

Quote:
Thank you, I really appreciate it!
#436 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
BTW- I am currently culturing yogurt w/megaflora as a starter. I did one qt with just megaflora and one with megaflora plus a packet of yogurmet. I'll let you know how it comes out tomorrow.
Goodness gracious what doesn't that product have!!
#437 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I might be able to but if I could find something that wasn't me telling her that die off is normal it would sure help. Honestly she probably won't even read it. I should just make up an article.....:
What about giving her the Beginner Intro and Science Behind the Diet sections on BTVC.info to read?
#438 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I was going to stay away from fruits for her since I think she may have yeast issues, also, so I'd probably start her with avocado and egg yolk. For lacto-fermented foods, I'd probably try homemade salsa (or maybe just pick out the tomatoes for her to try), or maybe pickles with the skin cut off.
I'm not sure I would do that based on my DS's experience with fermented foods... he cannot tolerate them at all (used to when he was bf'ing...sigh). So maybe cooked veggies would be best?

Here's a fun reference...

Enzymes in Human Milk:
http://darwin.nap.edu/books/03090439...63e39960139001
#439 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Twice on DS1. First time tested a 1 to corn, peanuts & carrots. He was about 15m old. Second time tested a 1 (IgG) to honey, egg whites & coconut--about 5m ago.

I'm not feeling the RAST love. I wonder how he would have tested after I took the peanuts/corn/carrots out? Would it then have been parsnips/peas/almonds? And on & on until we cut out all 40 offending foods : I think since he tests so low to "allergic reactions" it is a leaky gut issue. And he hasn't tested positive to cow dairy or wheat and/or gluten----which makes no freakin' sense at all.
This is what confuses me about the whole dam thing and why we haven't done one until now and just relied on testing and observation. :
#440 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
A couple of questions.

In my "Whole Foods For the Whole Family" cookbook it says that i can make cottage cheese with raw milk by just letting it sit out and sour and then cooking it some and draining the whey. Would this be lactose free?? Could I use this like the DCCC? I have some begining to sour milk and I hate to throw it out.
I don't know but that is a very good question. Presumably if it's sour as heck then all the sugar would be gone... ?
#441 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM

Pattyla~about 35 minutes. Squeeze away! There's a couple of super crunchy play groups around here, I'll see what's going on that week. There's a great park with a playscape, large field and huge sprinklers! The MDC mamas hang there.
#442 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 PM

I wanna come!
#443 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:

So you have or haven't done the NAET? Have you though about doing any other kinds of testing? With someone who knows what they are doing muscle testing is very accurate. You could start by testing what he is eating and then branch out. The Immunolabs test is nice because they test for something like 180 foods all at once. He's either got antigens or he doesn't.

Muscle testing- are you speaking of Kinesiology? I have gone to a chiro/AK in the past and would go again. Can he help us narrow down allergens in an 8 month old baby?

#444 of 861 Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Thought this was interesting. Can you really get garlic's benefits through the skin?

Skin Treatment with GOOT

Anti-infection/Anti-fungal/Anti-parasites - a.k.a. "GOOT"

Kills Candida, parasites, bacteria and viruses when directly applied. In addition, it treats systemic infections by absorption through the skin into the blood supply and travels throughout the body.

· Warm 3 tablespoons of Coconut oil in a small pan until melted and warm (don’t heat it too much).

· Add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and mix well.

· Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped garlic.

· Put mixture in the blender, and blend at slow speed, and then at high speed for 2 minutes.

· Strain the mixture to remove chunks of garlic that the blender may have missed.

· Pour into a wide mouth jar and keep in a refrigerator.

It turns into a thick soft paste after 1 hour. After two weeks, make a new batch.

Applications

· Rubbed into the skin, it transfers raw garlic oil directly into the bloodstream.

· Apply to the feet of children or infants to fight infections.

· Rub on the chest for chest colds and pneumonia.

· Rub into nostrils for sinus infections.

· Apply directly to sores inside the mouth.

· Rub on Athlete's foot and genital area for jock itch.

· Put the mixture into gelatin capsules to insert into the vagina or rectum, for yeast or other related infections.

· Apply on rashes any where on the body.

· Use a cotton swab to apply it to the ears, or put a few drops in each ear followed by a cotton ball.

Reference

http://www.keephopealive.org/symptoms.html

#445 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is what confuses me about the whole dam thing and why we haven't done one until now and just relied on testing and observation. :
The immunolabs that firefaery recommended is supposed to be topnotch. We were going to go that route, but our ins wouldn't pay for it,
#446 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
Thought this was interesting. Can you really get garlic's benefits through the skin?
I got this info from an herbally minded group I belong to. I thought it was very interesting, and it's in the same vein as your post:

Quote:
Garlic Paste for Pneumonia

by Dr. John R. Christopher

I remember one time we were called out to a house in the wee hours
of the morning. This call was to see a little boy, under the age of
two years, that had double pneumonia. The physician on the case had
informed the parents that nothing more could be done and he would
come back in the morning to sign the child's death certificate.
Seeing as it was well under forty degrees below zero and nearly
fifty miles from ambulance service, the parents were told that the
boy, if taken by car to a hospital, would surely die.

These parents tried to get other doctors, but at that time of night,
and in such a remote area, no one would offer help. A friend told
them about us, then living in Evanston, Wyoming and to try to call
us. Having been told of the boy's condition we went expecting to
give him the cold-sheet-treatment. Upon arriving there we found that
the plumbing was frozen and there was not running water in the
house. We found enough in the toilet tank above the bowl to give the
little chap an enema.

We were not able to give the cold sheet treatment (no water) so only
the garlic paste was made up and applied. This was done after a
complete massage of the body and the feet. After oiling the feet up
to the ankles, thoroughly, and massaging the olive oil in well, a
half-inch thickness of the garlic paste was applied to the soles of
his feet. (This is put on only the soles and not up onto the sides).
Then gauze was placed over to cover the paste, bandages to hold it
into place, and a loose white cotton sick was pulled over the
bandages to hold them securely.

Garlic paste is made by taking freshly peeled buttons of garlic and
garlic about half and half with Vaseline. This amount can very,
according to the toughness of the feet, more Vaseline for tender
feet, less for thicker skin. many of the health minded readers will
be shocked by our using a low-vibration ointment like Vaseline
instead of using anhydrous lanolin or some lighter more organic type.

The reasoning for this is that the lighter type ointments will
penetrate more quickly into the skin, but the Vaseline will hold the
garlic on in ointment form. This will also keep the garlic from
blistering as easily. (A garlic blister looks bad, but does not hurt
and heals back quickly.)

The little boy was running an extremely high fever and was delirious
when he was covered and put back into bed. (This was well after 2:00
a.m.). We assured the parents the child would be all right and would
get well.

A few days later we were called again by these parents. They told us
that the doctor came back to sign the death certificate that next
morning, but the little boy was sitting in his high chair, drinking
some juice and breathing normally as if nothing had happened the
night before. The doctor became so angry and demanded to know the
name of the other doctor who had taken over the case before it had
been released by him. He wanted a hearing by "the board" to have the
other doctor thrown out of practice for going "against procedure" by
taking over a case without written release. The parents asked if
his "release" was the death of their child? He probably changed his
mind because we were not brought before a hearing.

A Little About Garlic

The garlic clove contains a very high amount of sulphur; sulphur is
one of the best minerals to be used as an oxygen carrier. Oxygen is
the breath of life and sulphur will carry the oxygen in the body
directly to the infected area. Germs cannot live in a good supply of
oxygen, therefore, the infection is cleared quickly. This is an
organic wonder, so garlic may be termed 'a wonder herb'.

Medical science discovered that sulphur caused this rapid healing,
so in WWII, flowers of sulphur (an inorganic mined-mineral) was
substituted for garlic. The army used sulfa for practically every
ailment from "falling hair to fallen arches". Wonderful results were
reported to us and we were told to use it in ever increasing amounts.

The difference between garlic and the inorganic, manmade remedies is
that garlic does its job and the excess of the organic materials not
being used in healing the infection is easily passed as harmless
vegetable fiber from the body. no harm and certainly
nothing but good could result from using this powerful, yet
harmless, herb. But, with the man-made sulfa drug we used,
eventually combined with the urine and formed a substance that cut
up the urinary tract, causing bed wetters. Many soldiers and other
servicemen were given medical discharges, because of "bed wetting".
This habit was acquired while in the service after the use of sulfa
drugs. It is a well-known fact that too much sulfa drug has also
caused other problems. The sulphur in the garlic will assist in
healing the urinary tract after its infection-clearing job, instead
of damaging it.
I also want to add that garlic will burn the skin, that's why Vaseline (as everyone cringes) is used. It is thick enough to protect the skin.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#447 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
EBG

Quote:
It's really Mt. Capra Probiotics Plus under his brand name, and you can get Mt. C cheaper elsewhere.
Really? Cool. Thank you!
#448 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 08:31 AM
EBG

I wish garlic was so effective for me, too.........

OK, so I've been sugar free for 9 months and taking CO since January. I eat plenty of butter (can't afford butter oil). Yesterday I discovered a cavity! (One more thing on my list of ailments) So why is that? My diet is better than ever and I get a cavity? I also take dolomite for cal-mag. supplementation. Any ideas?
So if I need a filling, what is the alternative to amalgam?
#449 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 AM

EBG, They'll give you some kind of composite filling. I think it's some sort of resin.
#450 of 861 Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Why is that, FOS? I noticed it said "no dairy" but still had lactose, thought that was weird.
The Pharmax infant probiotic contains several strains of probiotics, not just bifidus. Apparently somebody there didn't do their research before promoting it from birth...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page