~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somebody posted this a few days ago, but I'm not finding it with the search function, so sorry for the repetition (though I don't recall seeing an answer yet). I got my BTVC book yesterday, and read through it (quickly) last night. I was reading while holding a not happy baby, so maybe I missed it, but in it, Elaine says the only food you have to introduce at a specific time is the yogurt, but then I didn't see when that specific time is (other than that you can use it in the intro diet to moisten the dccc). Did I miss this? I've also looked on the website and am not finding it.

Thanks!
#482 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Well, when I say stomach I really mean abdominal area. Although when it is really bad, it does extend to my stomach. It starts in my lower intestinal area, i.e. where my pants most commonly fit. I know that I have "something" inflammation or ?? at the place where my large intestine starts. The tenderness is not as bad as it once was on palpation, but when I massage the area, I get a creaky, squishy sound, which has indeed gotten worse. It is as if I am moving a bunch of mostly liquid around. It is loud enough for someone next to me to hear. (as in my DH, who then looks at me in horror)

That said, when it is quite bad, my whole abdominal area is bloated. I do not typically have the uncomfortable bloated feeling internally, but it is more that I am aware of this big mass in my middle. Like it gets in the way when I am bending over. A few days ago I was doing yoga and during downward dog, I could feel my intestines, (lg -- @ lower right abdomen) moving or bulding or some other horrid thing. It wasn't painful, but a very strange sensation.

Typically, my pattern is that by evening, I am quite bloated. I then am able to poop in the morning and then if it is a good day, my stomach looks mostly normal, as in not distended. This morning I knew things were worse, as my lower abdomen was still distended.

I am not really eating anything new. A couple of weeks ago, things had improved, but now after a really good week on vacation, things are quite bad again. I do theorize that this is a particularlly bad time of year for me emtionally, as I was in a similar dark place last year at this time, w/o the help of meds. (nor this stomach problem)

My friend who is so crictical of my "nutrional obsessions" thinks that doing Eat to Live is what messed up my gut. I am not sure that I am ready to say that because I have always had some digestive issues that I chalked up to being just the way I am. But like I said, my interest in eating vegetables is next to nothing.
#483 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 12:51 PM

On a regular day, I eat:

omlette with raw milk cheese
raw milk yogurt
dccc
fresh fruit (uncooked)
CO
CLO
ground beef
avocado
tomatoes (fresh)
cooked vegetables (usu. mushrooms, zucc, sometimes greens)
one small cup black coffee
raw nuts (my "treat")
I will start bone broths again once it isn't so warm

200 mg selenium
~ 3 tsp sodium ascorbate
30 mg zinc w copper
had been taking mg, but am currently out
B complex sublingual
zyme prime
no fenol
wobenzyme

Am considering starting water kefir drinks, as I am not doing so great w/o, maybe they can help.

I have to say that I think what I am eating as extremely limited, but other than eating more of the types of foods above, I don't really feel like eating anything else.
#484 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Don't know if this helps or not...monosaccharides are allowed because they are absorbed very quickly and don't stick around long enough for the yeast to feed. Plysaccharides and disaccharides need to sit and be broken down into monosaccharides and in the sitting the yeast gets to eat. Everything ultimately ends up as sugar, it's a matter of how long things sit in the gut. You don't want any sugars just sitting around. Does that help at all?
The only problem with this, at least as far as it applies to the SCD, is that it doesn't seem to hold true for most people with yeast issues (ie the SCD doesn't help significantly). This seems to hold pretty true on this board over the last couple of months, although I don't know how many of the people who have seen significant results with the SCD have had yeast problems--but the ones who haven't seen results do have yeast problems.
#485 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM

That's true-it's just the theory. It worked like a charm for me, but not so much for others...then again I went above and beyond with supplements.
#486 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 PM

What did you do with suppliments again??? I'm feeling very frustrated here in limbo land.

I also have a bad sore throat today and am wondering if anyone has any wonder cures???

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#487 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 PM

I just returned from bringing dd to a new classical homeopath.

WOW!

First, a couple of questions: She believes dd has yeast issues. I do too & her CDSA results should be back Monday.

She suggested *I* go on an anti-candida diet since she's still b'feeding. Does this make sense? Also, she called it fungus. Is yeast a fungus?

And, she said to give dd grains but NO fermented foods.

Now, to be fair, I'm only posting the things that made me . Our 2 hour appt. was VERY VERY interesting & she pegged SO many things that I'll post about later.

Since I know nothing about candida, I'm confused. What do you mamas think?
#488 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM

moonshine,
I used to be able to make those noises by pushing on my stomach too. (It didn't hurt though.) You're obviously not digesting something properly. I'd suggest you get back on the enzymes asap.
#489 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
What did you do with suppliments again??? I'm feeling very frustrated here in limbo land.
We really need a forum for these discussions because it's hard to keep up with everybody. Patty -- you mentioned that the diet seems to be effective but that you are exhausted by it. You're having problems dealing with life it sounds like. Have you considered trying an amino acid blend? If you can use it to get through tough spots so that you have the energy to stay on the diet, that might be a good approach. Have you considered eating liver regularly? I don't like liver at all but I've eaten about 3 oz 3x/week in slumps and have gotten good energy.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#490 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 PM

moonshine -- have you had a thyroid test recently?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#491 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
She suggested *I* go on an anti-candida diet since she's still b'feeding. Does this make sense? Also, she called it fungus. Is yeast a fungus?

And, she said to give dd grains but NO fermented foods.
She may think you have some yeast issues too. And yes, it's fungal. The no fermented foods is part of the strict anti-candida diet, but I did eat my own yogurt when I did the diet. I did not consume any commercial fermented food. The strict diet also excludes all grains but some people will add millet and quinoa.

#492 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
She may think you have some yeast issues too. And yes, it's fungal. The no fermented foods is part of the strict anti-candida diet, but I did eat my own yogurt when I did the diet. I did not consume any commercial fermented food. The strict diet also excludes all grains but some people will add millet and quinoa.
Ok, that makes sense. If I don't have any yeast issues, would it still be better for me to do the anti-candida diet too or doesn't it really make a difference?

I've never had a yeast problem and the spit test was negative.

I'm starting to chelate dd w/some stuff she gave me and I know this kicks up yeast so of course I want to do what's best for dd BUT if it won't really matter then I want to keep having my fruit yk?
#493 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
We really need a forum for these discussions because it's hard to keep up with everybody.
Yes! Month after month this thread is 30+ pages.
#494 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
moonshine,
I used to be able to make those noises by pushing on my stomach too. (It didn't hurt though.) You're obviously not digesting something properly. I'd suggest you get back on the enzymes asap.
It is good to know that someone else knows what I am talking about. Btw, I am back on the enzymes, powder form this time. I think I will up the amount I am taking.

Thyroid -- yes, I believe that I just had it checked. Will check the lab reports again. I know I had it checked in the past when I was having hormonal issues and it was normal.
#495 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. If I don't have any yeast issues, would it still be better for me to do the anti-candida diet too or doesn't it really make a difference?
I have no idea. It won't hurt, but it will not be pleasant.

#496 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I wonder if when they say no fermented foods they mean lacto-fermented homemade foods, or just the fake stuff you get in the supermarket?

Annikate--I don't know how/if the sugars and stuff go through BM, so you might have to the anti-candida diet, too.
#497 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM

#498 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I wonder if when they say no fermented foods they mean lacto-fermented homemade foods, or just the fake stuff you get in the supermarket?

Annikate--I don't know how/if the sugars and stuff go through BM, so you might have to the anti-candida diet, too.
I had mild yeast issues infrequently that seem to be controlled by eating homemade kefir and homemade wild sauerkraut, and avoiding fake fermented ketchup, mustard, etc. i generally just avoid anything with sugar, and keep the fruits to 1-2 servings per day, often paired with kefir. soaking grains (rice usually) and really keeping any other grains to 1-2 servings per week. since doing this change, i've had no problems with yeast except when i overdo the grains. i had sorta done an anticandida diet for a few weeks before i re-introduced cultured dairy into my diet.

coffee is seen to increase gut permeability to sucrose (dont' have the citation handy at the moment) so i've finally managed to get myself unaddicted and only have coffee 2-3 times per week instead of a regular morning cup.

compared to what i've read of SCD, going fully anticandida would be easier for me personally.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#499 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
We really need a forum for these discussions because it's hard to keep up with everybody. Patty -- you mentioned that the diet seems to be effective but that you are exhausted by it. You're having problems dealing with life it sounds like. Have you considered trying an amino acid blend? If you can use it to get through tough spots so that you have the energy to stay on the diet, that might be a good approach. Have you considered eating liver regularly? I don't like liver at all but I've eaten about 3 oz 3x/week in slumps and have gotten good energy.
Yes the diet is helping us. I sometimes lose that perspective cause I'm just so overwhelmed by it all and dying from cravings for some of the nice fresh fruit I see at the farmers market every week. I want to be better yesterday and hate how long this is taking. I knew going into it that it wasn't a quick fix but I have hit the 6 month slump I think and need some help getting motivated to keep this up for the long haul.

I hadn't considered the amino acids but perhaps that would help.

I do think I felt so overwhelmed yesterday because I was coming down with this sore throat even though I didn't know it.

I really hate liver and although I have some in the freezer haven't been able to bring myself to cook it and eat it. : I have done the liver coctail and that didn't really seem to make a difference but I only ate it a few times.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#500 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
coffee is seen to increase gut permeability to sucrose (dont' have the citation handy at the moment) so i've finally managed to get myself unaddicted and only have coffee 2-3 times per week instead of a regular morning cup.
Okay, so really make me

This is THE ONE thing I've allowed myself. 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular but still . . . the thought of no coffee in the a.m. . . .
well, I don't think I could handle these 2 girls without it.
#501 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
EBG

Anti-candida diet:
Here is my 2 cents:

I think that if you have systemic candida, it doesn't just feed on sugar that goes down and sits around the gut but also glucose in the blood. That's why, I guess, we can't handle fruits and honey. Some candida diets allow certain grains, because they have a relatively low glycemic index and are gluten-free but these folks still believe fiber is your friend. IMO no grain is safe for candida.
But it's sooooooooooo hard. I just can't go without having some NT oatmeal every once in a while. It's so boring to eat eggs for breakfast every single day.
#502 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:25 PM
EBG

Help, please. My DD (3-y-o) has a tummy ache every single time she eats or drinks something (except water). I tried enzymes, no enzymes, it doesn't matter. She says her tummy hurts. Every time she eats something. First I thought maybe the enzymes give her a tummy ache which would be strange because she has been on enzymes for a while with no problem. So I tried not giving her enzymes, she still has a tummy ache after she starts eating. And then I thought, maybe the orange juice is the culprit, sometimes I put the enzymes in diluted OJ sometimes in her food. So next time I gave no OJ just food, still has tummy ache. No matter what I change, she has a tummy ache. Her poop looks OK, kind of multicolored but firm and sinks.
Why does her tummy hurt?
#503 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
EBG

Another OT question:
I have seen Carlson's A&D recommended here. Is anybody bothered by the soy in it? I have not found any fish oil based A and/or D without soy
#504 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM

Hi ladies,
Peeking back in to offer a bottle of GOL Omega Zymes for anyone who wants to pay shipping on them (probably about $6). I bought a brand new bottle right before I decided to switch to the Houston's, so it's full, though it's been opened but well-cared for. In a weird coincidence of bad planning, I actually think it's more than full because I'd forgotten them while on vacation, bought a new bottle, and combined the two bottles : PM me if you're interested. I know they aren't SCD legal, but I thought I remembered some of you take them with no ill-effects?

FF - Congratulations on the new baby!
#505 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:38 PM

You won't believe it, but they're gone already. Glad someone could use them!
#506 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 PM

annikate - sorry. when I told my ND, he OBSESSED about it for hours afterwards (my dh had an appt later in the day after I told him, and he was still musing about it).

if it cheers you up, in an apparently healthy person, the gut becomes significantly less permeable to sucrose 48 hours after coffee consumption. the result of the paper was that the authors were going to recommend to labs to recommend a 48 hours fast (from coffee) before undertaking the various tests (esp. those using sucrose) for leaky gut.

that's why i space out my cups over the week and made dark organic chocolate my new vice.

i'm too sensitive to the caffeine in tea, so i can't even consider drinking black tea as a replacement. but it's weird (except for this past Monday), i really don't have much of a desire to have coffee especially since i'm not doing dairy (my coffee preference includes cream to which i am definitely IgG allergic - and no fixes for leaky gut seem to be helping that).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#507 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 PM

Amanda, I have read time and again that thyroid tests are ineffective unless you are way off. Have you found this as well? One of the practitioners I work with is dealing with thyroid stuff alot now. IT's pretty interesting. There's a test you can take which is very effective, but it's not the standard panel. One of the things that he is having people do who have thyroid problems is use Celtic Sea Salt-1/2 a tsp a day. In the testing it looks as though it's acting as an adaptogen. People who are hyper and hypo are both seeing a huge change in levels and feeling a big difference. Apparently the problem in most people is that they are bromine toxic. IT is found in refined flours and chocolate and many other things. Bromine replaces iodine in the body which will alter thyroid function. If you can get more iodine into your body it seems like this will reverse the damage. I'm doing the test right now and I'll let you know how my levels change. In the mean time I notice that I'm not nearly as cranky on the sea salt! Sorry-totally OT!
#508 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM

Definitely true, firefaery. On my list for the next month is to research the different tests because I've run across a handful of alternatives. I need to include an inset on this in my project. Definitely report back on your progress. Your "levels" -- do you mean a thyroid panel of some sort?

#509 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
Bargaining now:
I wonder, is this coffee or all caffeine? I'm thinking I could do tea instead.

ETA: I see you already answered this for yourself! OH, and I've been eating dark organic chocolate too! How can I give this up too? Oh boy.
#510 of 861 Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Amanda, I have read time and again that thyroid tests are ineffective unless you are way off. Have you found this as well? One of the practitioners I work with is dealing with thyroid stuff alot now. IT's pretty interesting. There's a test you can take which is very effective, but it's not the standard panel. One of the things that he is having people do who have thyroid problems is use Celtic Sea Salt-1/2 a tsp a day. In the testing it looks as though it's acting as an adaptogen. People who are hyper and hypo are both seeing a huge change in levels and feeling a big difference. Apparently the problem in most people is that they are bromine toxic. IT is found in refined flours and chocolate and many other things. Bromine replaces iodine in the body which will alter thyroid function. If you can get more iodine into your body it seems like this will reverse the damage. I'm doing the test right now and I'll let you know how my levels change. In the mean time I notice that I'm not nearly as cranky on the sea salt! Sorry-totally OT!
This is so interesting. DH has hypo. Like I need another project . . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page