Forum Jump: 

#601 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=EBG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn

What other sugars? The galactose and glucose?
Well I guess they raise blood sugar and that fits with my theory of the yeast feeding on blood sugar...
but I posted the question anyway. We'll see.

Are you doing better with no yogurt?
I was doing a strict candida diet for a few weeks before the SCD, no dairy at all, no honey, no fruit, no sugars, no grains and it only caused a big die-off but no healing. So when I found somebody who cured their eczema with the SCD yogurt, that's when I switched. But still, it has not helped significantly, so I'm back to square one. I'm switching to Bee's diet but first will try to keep the yogurt for the kid's. I don't think they will like cabbage juice. I have to make other modifications due to finances. No supplements only cabbage juice and garlic. If I could just persuade DH to buy some liver....that would help the vitamin A problem.
I couldn't do the yogurt anyway because of DD's dairy intolerance.

I really think this diet is helping, though. My low blood sugar issues are pretty much gone (I can go 4-5 hours after eating breakfast without feeling like I'm dying, which is a huge improvement). Plus my "I'm going to die if I don't eat some ice cream right now" feeling (cravings) finally passed, so I'm assuming that means the candida is giving up.

I hope Bee's diet plan helps you...can you do bone broths at all? Even if you could only get conventional bones from a butcher or whatever that would be better than nothing, IMO.
#602 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Well, on the anticandida yahoo diet (probably should have switched those two around ) you CANNOT have dairy, except butter. There is still too much lactose, even with 24 hr fermentation. Same with kefir.

I would like to find sources for food that are locally produced, rather than buying those at the co-op. Im thinking I could get them for less (although I just discovered this a.m. that the co-op -all local, pastured, grass fed etc - has a section of meat that they discount by half but recommend using that day. I just got some cheap filet minon
You probably don't want to give away where you live publicly, but if you're in my area PM me, I can hook you up with the milk/eggs/butter.

Funny, I just went to the co-op near me and bought them out of ground lamb. $2.99 a pound! He said it wasn't a good seller (maybe why they put it all on sale?). So if anyone is thinking of going to PCC in Redmond to take advantage of their special on lamb, they're out.

I thought the 24 hour yogurt has no lactose? :
#603 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
EBG

[
I hope Bee's diet plan helps you...can you do bone broths at all? Even if you could only get conventional bones from a butcher or whatever that would be better than nothing, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I just have to remind myself to buy some chicken legs or bones... I keep forgetting and then beat myself up all week for not being able to make broth. unfortunately can only buy commercially raised, but as you said, it's better than nothing. I'm going shopping tomorrow!!! Need cabbage, too. I'm just talking to myself here, never mind.
#604 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Bone Broth:
it seems like the bones from one lowly chicken would not make a very substantial broth though (if I roasted it first and used the bones in the broth). Would that be enough? 1 gallon water, veggies and the bones of a little chicken?....
Oh, but it does!

Here's what I do:

Put chicken in crock pot on low until cooked (I have no idea how long, I just leave it in there until I remember to check on it).

Once it's done, let cool in pot.

Once it's cool, pull off leg quarters and breasts. Take out giblet bag and eat contents (this is what I do, remember).

Leave drippings, remaining carcass, bones in crock pot. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, salt, water. Turn crock on high for 2-3 hours (really gets the good stuff out of the bones), then on low for a few more hours (again, until I remember to check). It is the best darn broth/soup ever! You can add the meat back in later - I find that cooking the meat in the stock makes it stringy and sort of tasteless if that makes sense.
#605 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
So any word on selenium??????
It's supposed to bind with mercury and help the body detox. But should we amalgam people avoid it? Will it pull the mercury from the fillings?
No, it aids body in detox it's not a chelator per se.
#606 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
l glutamine, msm and zinc for the "holes"
And high vitamin cod liver oil.
#607 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34
Thanks Jane, I'll look up that egg substitute. Do you know where could I order coconut flour from ?

He's on ASDPlex, Kirkman Super Pro-Bio (75 billion+), Lauricidin, Zyme Prime, Candex, homemade water kefir, and I just got a sample of Kirkman Yeast-Aid to try (ordered before considering SCD).

He's still nursing a little. I assume I would have to wean him ?

I'm interested in getting the baked goods working no matter what - because I feel that any reduction in his bigger carbs would be beneficial. But getting them working would also help me feel like SCD could be possible for him.

He is severly allergic to dairy and eggs and absolutely cannot have them. This has been determined by his reactions (which last four days and are horrible), and a RAST blood test, and a skin test on the eggs (we didn't dare skin test the dairy). Because of his allergies, I absolutely do not want to make any sort of nut a daily part of his diet. I don't mind letting him try a little almond once in a while but I don't want it to be more than once every 4 days.

Is a coconut really a nut ? I haven't ever heard of coconut allergy.

Linda
Coconut flour at Digestive Wellness: http://www.digestivewellness.com/ite...4-11-1567.html
And Tropical Traditions:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm

Although I think you can try whizzing up coconut shreds in food processor too, just make sure they are sugar free.

Why would you wean? Based on our experience I would say step it up!!
#608 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
And high vitamin cod liver oil.
Jane, do you use Green Pastures/Arctic Ice CLO?
Do you take any other EFAs?

Have you or anyone else done research on the role of prostaglandins and gut health??
#609 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I thought it was funny! I have a straaaange sense of humor.
it was funny here, but not elsewhere on board when I maybe want to be taken seriously!! (said very lightheartedly)
#610 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 PM

A coconut is technically a fruit so it shouldn't be a problem for people with nut allergies. In fact, it's usually one of the easiest foods to tolerate for those who have lots of food sensitivities.
#611 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
it was funny here, but not elsewhere on board when I maybe want to be taken seriously!! (said very lightheartedly)
True!
#612 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Jane, do you use Green Pastures/Arctic Ice CLO?
Do you take any other EFAs?

Have you or anyone else done research on the role of prostaglandins and gut health??
I use the one from Radiant Life, it's fishy with no masking flavor but DS slurps it just fine. Most of the time I do too, but some mornings I just do a juice or lemon water chaser.

Not that I can remember, sorry! Dr. Nichols book? I haven't gotten very far on it but what I've read so far is very good.
#613 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
I'm new here. My 4wk old is fussy and I'm working on possible diet issues. Do you think it would/could help me to take probiotics? I have been...

I ordered them for him but they haven't arrived. Is it possible to open a capsule of mine and give him a dab?

See the last post in the Cheat Sheet sticky .. he should NOT be getting your probiotic, he should be getting bifidus strain only. Yes it will help if you take them too.
#614 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Not that I can remember, sorry! Dr. Nichols book? I haven't gotten very far on it but what I've read so far is very good.
Nope - it was an idea I've been pondering after talking with the nurse practitioner urologist I see. I asked her whether she thought the plant-based progesterone supplements I take during the luteal phase of my cycle could be causing my bladder/digestive symptoms to really flare. She said that she didn't think so and that most of their research has shown more of a connection between prostaglandins and bladder inflammation. I'm just wondering if it would also be connected to the gut. Clearly certain EFAs are critical in healing inflammation but I'm curious if perhaps something happens with me (us in this group) where certain hormonal changes during the luteal phase disrupt prostaglandins and therefore cause an inflammation in previously weakened areas in the body.

I'm not really a scientist. I just play one on TV
#615 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info - I've ordered 4 lbs from tropicaltraditions. Can't wait to try it ! Also I found the gelatin egg sub method too !

I was unsure as to whether or not breastmilk was considered "fluid milk in any form" ... when I check on pecanbread, or in the GAPS book, it just says liquid milk of any kind is not ok, and I could not find anything specific about breastmilk, and I assume since breastmilk also contains lactose, well, that it might not be ok from a legal sugar standpoint. That was one of the other reasons I have been dragging my feet on SCD - I believe that my milk has so many things that are good for him, and I've heard of ASD kids regressing when they wean, that I really really did not want to have to wean him to do the diet.

Linda

Quote:
Coconut flour at Digestive Wellness: http://www.digestivewellness.com/ite...4-11-1567.html
And Tropical Traditions:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm

Although I think you can try whizzing up coconut shreds in food processor too, just make sure they are sugar free.

Why would you wean? Based on our experience I would say step it up!!

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#616 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Don't we all?
#617 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 PM

Just checking in... I got my Blue Ice and X Factor oils today along w/ 4 qts. coconut cream concentrate.
#618 of 861 Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=EBG]
Quote:

Well I guess they raise blood sugar and that fits with my theory of the yeast feeding on blood sugar...

Are you doing better with no yogurt?
I was doing a strict candida diet for a few weeks before the SCD, no dairy at all, no honey, no fruit, no sugars, no grains and it only caused a big die-off but no healing. ...
I think I remember reading that yeast feed on blood sugar...

How do you know there was *only* die off but "no healing"? I ask b/c I dont know what healing would look like. Die off, yes Healing? Wuh? : (question for anyone......)

Ok, bone broth this weekend and yogurt starting next week

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#619 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
For yeast, my practitioner recommended ADP (Oil of Oregano) pills made by Biotics Research Corp. You have to get them through a practitioner though. I tried the Makers Diet recommended ones that you can buy through the HFS and they were nasty... Everything about me smelled/tasted like oregano-the ADP ones don't cause that. I was also advised to take a protease enzyme between meals.

Another practitioner recommended GSE (5 drops) in water 1st thing in the am. I know some people say GSE kills the "good" bacteria as well as the yeast. Anyway, both of these recommendations were made while I was bf.
I thought Oil of Oregano wasn't ok while bfing? Hmmm....

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#620 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=EBG]
Quote:

I recently had a blood test for life insurance and my blood sugar was REALLY low, a 4 maybe? Does this mean that my diet is working and starving those beastie yeasties?

TMI: I have vaginal burning/itching on and off. Is this due to die off? I don't know if its because of the burning but my libido is near zero . Could this also be related to not getting AF back yet?

We create our own reality.
#621 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
EBG

[QUOTE=saskiasmom]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG

I think I remember reading that yeast feed on blood sugar...

How do you know there was *only* die off but "no healing"? I ask b/c I dont know what healing would look like. Die off, yes Healing? Wuh? : (question for anyone......)

Ok, bone broth this weekend and yogurt starting next week
By healing I would be getting rid of this lousy rash forever. After the die-off: full body rashes, hives, headaches, leg cramps, stuffy nose etc etc, it all went back to "normal"... I mean pre-diet. Ok it got a lot better, definitely, but I want to have notmal skin again!!!! And not deal with itching and painful cracks.
#622 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Anyone know what could cause silver/grey streaks on teeth? A couple of days ago I noticed some silver streaks on my front teeth (both top and bottom). It looks like someone took a silver or grey fine-point pen and made some marks on my teeth. It appears to just be on the outside of the teeth--I don't think there is any internal damage and I can't feel any damage to the tooth enamel, either, which makes me think that something I am eating is directly causing these marks. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
#623 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 AM
EBG

I have this too. I have one front tooth on the bottom that has a grey mark on it, it's small, but I can still see it. It doesn't look or feel like a cavity, but doesn't come off with brushing. I have no idea...
#624 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Oh so much to respond to! If only I knew how to use the quote function I don't do well with technology.

Low blood sugar could indicate many things, but how low is low and how many times was the reading taken? Was it a fasting test? FOr an accurate reading it should be taken at four different points throughout the day. Low is okay as long as you are able to regulate blood sugar and aren't putting a strain on your pancreas. If it's low and you never feel lighheaded or starving past the point of no return and are nonfunctional until you eat-then it's not okay. Can you go long periods of time without eating and have no bad side effects? IF not you're probably doing great!

Re: healing the gut, basic gut health and prostaglandins I'm doing it now. What are you looking for specifically? I'm looking at estradiol as well.

Oil of Oregano is NOT OKAY FOR PREGNANCY OR BREASTFEEDING!

Never ever deprive your baby of the immunoglobulins in your milk. They will heal twice as fast with them. Babies need to nurse for at least two years for maximum benefit in gut health. IT is a scientific fact that the immature gut is permeable until two years of age.
#625 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Ok, dumb question ahead: what is *wrong* with store bought yogurt? We eat (and by we I mean my family ) plain cascadian farms, which claims to have all kinds of strains. Dh doesnt understand my exitement about making yogurt.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#626 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 11:44 AM

firefaery--just hit the quote button on the bottom of the person's post that you want to quote

My DD is still occasionally having a bit of blood in her stool (like maybe every 10 days or so). Is this a sign that she's not really very healed, or could it be caused by all the non-food things she picks off the floor and eats (ie paper, bits of wood, styrofoam, cardboard--my house is clean, really it is!)?
#627 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 AM
EBG

Quote:
Ok, dumb question ahead: what is *wrong* with store bought yogurt? We eat (and by we I mean my family ) plain cascadian farms, which claims to have all kinds of strains. Dh doesnt understand my exitement about making yogurt.
They are not fermented long enough so they are full of lactose. Also, manufacturers add other stuff like milk solids, pectin etc etc. So the bacteria can't proliferate any more, they are stuck and you're stuck with sugar. You can use it as a starter, though. Dannon Plain is OK, Erivan is OK, I'm not sure about the others, as long as they say live cultures and no additives, just milk.
#628 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Nope - it was an idea I've been pondering after talking with the nurse practitioner urologist I see. I asked her whether she thought the plant-based progesterone supplements I take during the luteal phase of my cycle could be causing my bladder/digestive symptoms to really flare. She said that she didn't think so and that most of their research has shown more of a connection between prostaglandins and bladder inflammation. I'm just wondering if it would also be connected to the gut. Clearly certain EFAs are critical in healing inflammation but I'm curious if perhaps something happens with me (us in this group) where certain hormonal changes during the luteal phase disrupt prostaglandins and therefore cause an inflammation in previously weakened areas in the body.

There are other things which effect your hormones... such as a lot of omega 6 oils, resulting in imbalanced omega 3/6 balance, very common today with the SAD and a lot of people eating vegetable oils for their fats and eating meat/dairy from animals on unnatural grain-fed diets.

No offense to her, but if they are urologists, their research is naturally going to focus on bladder, not gut.
#629 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34
I was unsure as to whether or not breastmilk was considered "fluid milk in any form" ... when I check on pecanbread, or in the GAPS book, it just says liquid milk of any kind is not ok, and I could not find anything specific about breastmilk, and I assume since breastmilk also contains lactose, well, that it might not be ok from a legal sugar standpoint. That was one of the other reasons I have been dragging my feet on SCD - I believe that my milk has so many things that are good for him, and I've heard of ASD kids regressing when they wean, that I really really did not want to have to wean him to do the diet.
SCD has never said to wean, breastmilk is the exception. It's really too bad that this point is not discussed more.

The lactose in BM is different kind than cow's milk lactose. It feeds good bacteria, that is what it's designed to do.

I weaned but not for SCD, we just went to it because that was where I was in my research and his gut went downhill after that. Weaning was stupid, stupid, stupid. I thought I was the cause of all his ills, and essentially I was, but my BM was more than making up for that.
#630 of 861 Old 08-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The lactose in BM is different kind than cow's milk lactose. It feeds good bacteria, that is what it's designed to do.
Although when moms have breastmilk oversupply ... babies can get lactose overload and resulting gut damage - this happened in a big way with my ds, and it was made worse by my own gut problems. Of course I would never ever recommend weaning for this reason - breast is always best . I am dealing with nursing challenges with almost 3 year old ds right now, but I know that his need to nurse is not just for comfort and he is probably still experiencing oral aversion and gut issues and that the breastmilk probably helps with at this point. Firefaery referred me to an LC who helped me deal with oversupply issues this time around. Congrats on your baby Firefaery!

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page