~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 861 Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
My sister has been TTC#1 for six months (she's 36 yo and getting anxious about it) and definitely has gut issues (pretty bad digestive problems and was bulemic 15 years ago). She believes that she is ovulating normally but she doesn't get "eggwhite" cervical fluid. Any specific gut-fertility links that she should be aware of? I have already given her lots of general gut healing info...
Not that I can recall but she might want to look into Traditional Diets especially the types of fats she eats effect hormone production:

Women's Health section at WAPF with articles at bottom of page re: fertility
http://www.westonaprice.org/women/index.html

Know Your Fats
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

Vitamin A Saga
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...aminasaga.html

Vitamin A for Fetal Development
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...n-a-fetal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 of 861 Old 08-20-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
Now that I am off dairy completely I am wondering if I can take high vitamin butter oil?
http://www.greenpasture.org/products/butter_oil

It is a little expensive to try and see if we a reaction.
Why are you off completely? Ghee would be similar (casein and lactose free) if you just want to try.
#663 of 861 Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl
A few more questions:

1. Those of you using L. Reuteri, what was the brand? I just combed through the last few pages but couldn't find it. And what differences are you seeing in yourselves/your DC from it? And finally, how exactly do you culture it in yogurt?

2. My partner and I have been on enzymes for a bit over a week. Neither of us experienced any real die-off, except perhaps one sleepless night for me. My partner is the one who seems to have more gut issues, though she saw little die-off. Does this mean they are not necessary? Also, what changes should we be looking for? I was hoping they'd help with my constant exhaustion and that they would help her general digestion, absorption of nutrients, etc.

3. How much CLO/Omega 3s for a 3yo? I just found a form in which he can tolerate them........(it's a pudding-kind of preparation from Whole Foods, although not their brand -- sugar free and artificial sweetener free too!)

Thanks!
megin
1. Nature's Way Reuteri the capsules not the powder in jar. I just culture several capsules in with our regular yogurt starter.

2. Give it more time, are you taking between meals? That is what triggers die off. With meals will do everything else you listed.

3. See cod liver oil recs here.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html
That product... Coromega? doesn't have vit. A and D and personally I would not take it.
#664 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
caedmyn -- this may not be manageable, but vit c has a half life of about 30 minutes. If you spread your doses out every hour, you'll absorb more. One gram an hour would work but then you obviously wouldn't get 25 grams in. Try two grams an hour and see what happens. Depending on how you are taking it now, you're probably not absorbing a lot of the 25 grams.
I'm doing 5 grams 5x/day right now. I know it would be better to take it more often, I'm just not sure I can remember. It seems I already have six million things to remember every day, between supplements, eating certain foods, more supplements, drinking herbal teas, probiotics : Maybe I'll set the oven timer. Boy this really does have to be an obsession, doesn't it!
#665 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
How do you take your sodium ascorbate powder? I usually dump mine in some food but if I want to try taking it every half hour I don't want to have to eat that often.

What kind of bioflavonoids do you take? If I have to avoid fruits because of DS does this affect my brand choice?
I mix it with a little water. I bought NOW brand bioflovonoids. They're supposed to be okay even though they are from citrus.
#666 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Ok, more dumb questions ahead:

1. Sodium ascorbate? What is ascorbic acid? Now I cant remember which Bee recommends (Cademyn?). I take 3000mg/day "vit. C crystals" which is a white powder from the co-op that has 3600mg vit C/tsp (and is $35/lb : ). I know Ive read about the differences in Vit C sources but didnt take notes - I WILL!

2. 1g = 1000mg yes
Ascorbic acid is the normal/common form of vitamin C. Bee recommends sodium ascorbate, although she says to buy ascorbic acid and mix it with baking soda. What's your taking is ascorbic acid I'm sure. I've only found sodium ascorbate at a few stores, even most health food stores don't carry it. It's cheapest online, anyhow, at iherb.com or vitacost.com
#667 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM

Cademyn - ...and you're taking 25g!? Wow. Is "bowel tolerance" when you take a dose and have to run to the loo shortly thereafter? And in terms of "healing" (being at 80-90% bowel tolerance) what do you mean? All of the things vit C is supposed to be good for only really happnes at that level? BTW, the ketchup is awesome, and now so is the broth

Any of you Yogurt Queens - do you all use yogurt makers? (I know jane doesnt). Im trying to figure out how to keep my culturing batch at 100-110 and until I do I cant make any. How do you all do it? And why is everyone (so it seems) on this reuteri kick now?

Goat Milk - it is supposed to be easier to digest than cow, but I think ds's intolerance to cow is a lactose thing, so should i just get lactose free or give him lactse. He can do all dairy but milk - causes diarrhea => flaming bottom. We've been doing unsweetened soy, but now that I know what I do, Im trying to get off that....

Thanks!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#668 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Do you have a ketchup recipe? I'd love it if you share. i find commercial ketchup too sweet.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#669 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Cademyn - ...and you're taking 25g!? Wow. Is "bowel tolerance" when you take a dose and have to run to the loo shortly thereafter? And in terms of "healing" (being at 80-90% bowel tolerance) what do you mean? All of the things vit C is supposed to be good for only really happnes at that level? BTW, the ketchup is awesome, and now so is the broth

Any of you Yogurt Queens - do you all use yogurt makers? (I know jane doesnt). Im trying to figure out how to keep my culturing batch at 100-110 and until I do I cant make any. How do you all do it? And why is everyone (so it seems) on this reuteri kick now?

Goat Milk - it is supposed to be easier to digest than cow, but I think ds's intolerance to cow is a lactose thing, so should i just get lactose free or give him lactse. He can do all dairy but milk - causes diarrhea => flaming bottom. We've been doing unsweetened soy, but now that I know what I do, Im trying to get off that....

Thanks!!
Yes that's bowel tolerance. You don't have to take vitamin C to bowel tolerance to get benefits from it, but I have read that for best results in treating chronic or acute conditions it needs to be taken in amounts of 80-90% of bowel tolerance.

If your DS just has a lactose issue, 24 hr cow yogurt should be okay, because all the lactose is supposed to be broken down when it is cultured for that long.

If you still have the ketchup recipe will you post it? I have to make some more today and I've forgotten how I made the last batch!
#670 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
1. Nature's Way Reuteri the capsules not the powder in jar. I just culture several capsules in with our regular yogurt starter.

2. Give it more time, are you taking between meals? That is what triggers die off. With meals will do everything else you listed.

3. See cod liver oil recs here.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html
That product... Coromega? doesn't have vit. A and D and personally I would not take it.
Thanks for the info.

In terms of the Coromega, why wouldn't you use it? If DS got Vit. A and D through another source (like a multi), would that help? I really want to get some of these oils into him and he absolutely refuses to take them straight and will drink very little of anything we mix them into like smoothies. His sensory eating issues really are getting in the way. I saw chewable tabs, but it seemed that absorption for those was much worse -- are they actually good? Help!

Thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#671 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
SCD has never said to wean, breastmilk is the exception. It's really too bad that this point is not discussed more.

The lactose in BM is different kind than cow's milk lactose. It feeds good bacteria, that is what it's designed to do.

I weaned but not for SCD, we just went to it because that was where I was in my research and his gut went downhill after that. Weaning was stupid, stupid, stupid. I thought I was the cause of all his ills, and essentially I was, but my BM was more than making up for that.
thank you sooo much for sharing this. although i am still sometimes nursing a 3yo, i have considered weaning ds2 who is 19mths and has a ton of food allergies/intolerances (i struggle with differentiating sometimes). both the outside pressure from 'the family' and my own concerns of whether or not i am helping or hurting him have caused me to consider weaning...although my instict has always said NURSE!

although i do not post as often as i'd like, the support from the moms on this thread has offered me amazing strength and knowledge.
thank you
#672 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!
First time I've thought of myself as a yogurt queen.
Dh made me a yogurt maker very simply: We got a cheap sytrofoam cooler, a light fixture, small 75 watt bulb and put a hole in the top of the cooler, inserted the lightbulb and voila! Instant yogurt maker. I have to keep the lid slighlty cracked to maintain 110 degrees but it works awesome. You can use the oven method but no matter what I tried I couldn't get my oven to maintain the temp.

Re: reuteri
AFter reading the Power of Probiotics thread I decided to check retueri out. From the things I read I had a suspicion that it would help dd1 w/her mushy poops and that's what it did. (I had also just gotten her CDSA results back before this which showed she had zero *good* bacteria in her gut so I thought, it couldn't hurt to add some more.)
#673 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Haven't read today but I had to share.

I had a TCM appointment with a fertility specalist today. (As of today we are officially battleing IF ) Anyhow. She said that the main disfuncting she could find was in my spleen and that makes a ton of sense for the candidia issue. That spleen means stagnation and this candidia is stagnated in my gut. Sooo... She did some acu for my spleen and I'll be going back regularly to get it balanced. After hearing about my last pg she thinks it is obvious that this spleen issue isn't a new one for me.

Anyhow, yet another approach that might just help get this all sorted out.

Oh and I think we are off dairy, at least for the short term.: DD is sleeping much better w/o dairy in her system. I'm not happy but trying to accept it. Of course now I have all this raw milk sitting in my fridge and I'm not sure what to do with it... I plan to try raw milk yogurt again in a few weeks to see how that goes but in the meantime...

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#674 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Ascorbic acid is the normal/common form of vitamin C. Bee recommends sodium ascorbate, although she says to buy ascorbic acid and mix it with baking soda. What's your taking is ascorbic acid I'm sure. I've only found sodium ascorbate at a few stores, even most health food stores don't carry it. It's cheapest online, anyhow, at iherb.com or vitacost.com
What ratio? I already had some ascorbic acid when I read it wasn't best.

I also recently got some calcium ascorbate. How is that? (besides tasting like butt)

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#675 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
What ratio? I already had some ascorbic acid when I read it wasn't best.

I also recently got some calcium ascorbate. How is that? (besides tasting like butt)
1:1 ascorbic acid & baking soda

I don't know anything about calcium ascorbate.
#676 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 PM

caedmyn, did you ever do the vit c flush? was just reading about it on the candidasupport page.
#677 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
caedmyn, did you ever do the vit c flush? was just reading about it on the candidasupport page.
I've done 3...they seem to help normalize my digestion--this diet made me a little constipated. The 3rd one I did gave me a horrible stomach ache for hours (gas & bloating I think) so I'm not so keen on doing another one. Let's see...the first one I did took me 24 grams to bowel tolerance, second one was 28 grams, third was 36 grams. Why there was so much variation there I have no idea.
#678 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 PM

I got dd2's CDSA results today. She does NOT have a yeast issue.
I didn't think she did but then I saw little pieces of undigested grapes that I thought *might* be yeasties and freaked out . . . .She has no signs of it anyway and never did. So....I don't think I'll be doing the candida diet.

She has *NO* beneficial bacteria. DD1's results showed the same exact thing. I'm starting to wonder if our water is so highly chlorinated that it's killing off everything I try to put in. (We onlyhave a refrigerator filter and a Brita one on the kitchen faucet.) I don't know what else could explain this.

I'll post more results later after I've studied a bit.
#679 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Ketchup - (courtesy of Cademyn)

12oz tomato paste (the better quality, the better. I use a brand in a 7 oz jar called bionature organic tomato paste. It is more $$$ [isnt it ALL!!] but so much yummer. Next time I will use 14 oz since Im eating so much)

2 T. rejuvelac liquid (from cabbage rejuvelac: blend 3 C cabbage and 1 3/4 C pure h2o in blender, put in jar for 3 days, strain liquid. Use 1/4C as starter for next batch adding 1 1/2 c h2o this time, 3c cabbage, and leave for 24 hrs...)

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1-2 cloves garlic

1/8 tsp cayenne

1/4c pure h2o

(I added some onion powder and celery salt too..)

Mix thoroughly and put in a jar for 2 days, then refrigerate

Cademyn adds a little stevia to it with each use, but I find it just right without...

What occured to me in making this is that rejuvelac liquid could take the place of vinegar in a lot of recipes (duh). I may try making mustard with it....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#680 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Why are you off completely? Ghee would be similar (casein and lactose free) if you just want to try.
Thanks Jane, I will get some Ghee. I tried goat yogurt for a couple of weeks and it made me really bloated. So now I am trying no dairy to see if that helps us. I figure I'll give it a month (two weeks to get out of my system, 2 weeks for his.) I'll re-evaluate then. I really miss the cow yogurt . I am making fermented veggies but it is hard to keep up with making them. They don't seem to do as good of a job as the yogurt at keeping me regular. I had itchy eyes when I was eating the goat yogurt, this did not happen with cow yogurt. Also since I stopped dairy DS has stopped having times where he would get 'wild', he would flail around and get really frustrated.

I guess the next step is to start some testing? I may start at the kinesiologist. I have not asked yet if he can do muscle testing on an infant.

We create our own reality.
#681 of 861 Old 08-21-2006, 10:06 PM

DS was recently on antibiotics for a bunch of gut stuff. Based on recs here, we put him on high doses of Vit. C to help flush out his system. He's been off the atbx for a few weeks now and has continued on the C. Should we keep him on it, cut down, stop?

Also, I want to start him on enzymes, so if/when I do, it seems like he should be on the C again to help with die-off, etc, yes?

Thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#682 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Oh and I think we are off dairy, at least for the short term.: DD is sleeping much better w/o dairy in her system. I'm not happy but trying to accept it. Of course now I have all this raw milk sitting in my fridge and I'm not sure what to do with it... I plan to try raw milk yogurt again in a few weeks to see how that goes but in the meantime...
I remember reading somewhere here that the yogurt will keep for 3 weeks. Maybe you could make it and set it in the back of the fridge and then try again? Or maybe that is not enough time off dairy, but it is a shame not to use it once you get it!
#683 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I'm starting to wonder if our water is so highly chlorinated that it's killing off everything I try to put in. (We onlyhave a refrigerator filter and a Brita one on the kitchen faucet.) I don't know what else could explain this.

I'll post more results later after I've studied a bit.
we had a reverse osmosis sytem installed not to long ago. ~$350 from Lowe's but the guy who installed it sells and installs a competing system - well, not really competing. Lowe's sells the Krystal Pure system (or something like that) - the Ford of RO systems. the contract installer sells Ionics systems - the Cadillac of RO systems ($700 or so?).

anyhooo... Ionics dude says that Brita and Pur filter systems are crap. they become contaminated with - tada - microbes the second you start using them. (could those microbes be messing with dc's gut flora?)

oh yeah, the Ionics dude also does whole house filtration systems which, when combined with the RO system, will get 95% of the crap out of municipal water. dh has me squirreling away our spare change to save up for one of these babies - he hates our water. it's drawn from an Army Corps of Engineer-made reservoir and oftentimes smells/tastes like chlorinated lake water. blech.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#684 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jane, I will get some Ghee. I tried goat yogurt for a couple of weeks and it made me really bloated. So now I am trying no dairy to see if that helps us. I figure I'll give it a month (two weeks to get out of my system, 2 weeks for his.) I'll re-evaluate then. I really miss the cow yogurt . I am making fermented veggies but it is hard to keep up with making them. They don't seem to do as good of a job as the yogurt at keeping me regular. I had itchy eyes when I was eating the goat yogurt, this did not happen with cow yogurt. Also since I stopped dairy DS has stopped having times where he would get 'wild', he would flail around and get really frustrated.

I guess the next step is to start some testing? I may start at the kinesiologist. I have not asked yet if he can do muscle testing on an infant.
cow's milk (pasteurized, anyway) gives me sneezy runny nose symptoms even now that i think i've got my gut issues mostly under control. goat milk did the same a few months ago - haven't revisited it lately. i'm too chicken to try raw cow's milk. haven't been near cheese or uncultured butter lately. homegrown kefir (and everything derived from it) or high quality commercial yogurt (i'm dangerous making my own yogurt!) seem to be the only forms of cow's milk i can tolerate. just re-affirms a suspicion that i've always had a dairy allergy since - well, forever. it feels odd to have a clear head. until last week i was missing cheese - then i made kefir sourdough pizza with kefir cheese. gonna try making kefir butter and kefir ice cream next.

#685 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
1:1 ascorbic acid & baking soda

I don't know anything about calcium ascorbate.
calcium ascorbate (aka "Ester-C") should be avoided - it will mess up your calcium levels.

#686 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom
Now that I am re-reading it, I am thinking the expeller pressed process means that it is refined. Is this true? Man, I was really excited because it would save me $4 a jar. Ugh.
If CO doesn't say *unrefined* or *virgin* on it, then it is almost certainly refined.

Expeller pressed is good, it is means that the oil was pressed out, not chemically extracted. It has nothing to do with refining. Refining is related to the high temps to which the oil is heated

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#687 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM

I am so discouraged...DD was up about every hour last night and decided she was done sleeping at 4:30. I do not know what to do with her. The thought of her sleeping this poorly until whenever she magically decides to start sleeping better is very depressing. I really want a couple more kids, too, but the thought of having to go through this again...I don't know if I can do it.
#688 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I can so, completely and totally relate. It is so hard not to get a good night's sleep and it is utterly frustrating not to know how to change the "problem". I say problem because it's a problem for mom to be constantly sleep deprived. Sorry you are going through this. I wish I had a magic answer for you but despite having BTDT, nothing has been the "it" that gets him sleeping. Hang in there. It does get better and it will pass. Speaking of kids, I was planning on TTC next month but with all these nutritional issues and ds still not being a great sleeper, I am putting it off until next year. You are young! Biologically speaking, you've got time.
#689 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I am so discouraged...DD was up about every hour last night and decided she was done sleeping at 4:30. I do not know what to do with her. The thought of her sleeping this poorly until whenever she magically decides to start sleeping better is very depressing. I really want a couple more kids, too, but the thought of having to go through this again...I don't know if I can do it.
Caring for two when you are that sleep deprived is not only *extremely* difficult, it's dangerous too.

During my darkest times w/sleep deprivation I was hallucinating (hearing and seeing things), dh would come home and find me just lying on the floor (awake but barely able to move), a couple times many months ago I actually fell asleep while the girls were playing. NOT safe. If I allow my body to sit for a moment and rest, I fall asleep instantly. That's why I'm almost always in constant motion. It seems counterproductive but I do it for survival.

If I were you I would definitely not ttc right now for many reasons. One, your body needs to be at its best for the new babe. Secondly, if you think you're not sleeping now, just wait til you get pg. AND then have a newborn!

Sorry to sound so negative but I don't want anyone else experiencing what's been happening to me.

Thankfully, I've started chelating dd (her sleep issues are due to metal toxicity) and she's slowly improving, though I don't want to get used to it yk?
#690 of 861 Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Caring for two when you are that sleep deprived is not only *extremely* difficult, it's dangerous too.

During my darkest times w/sleep deprivation I was hallucinating (hearing and seeing things), dh would come home and find me just lying on the floor (awake but barely able to move), a couple times many months ago I actually fell asleep while the girls were playing. NOT safe. If I allow my body to sit for a moment and rest, I fall asleep instantly. That's why I'm almost always in constant motion. It seems counterproductive but I do it for survival.

If I were you I would definitely not ttc right now for many reasons. One, your body needs to be at its best for the new babe. Secondly, if you think you're not sleeping now, just wait til you get pg. AND then have a newborn!

Sorry to sound so negative but I don't want anyone else experiencing what's been happening to me.

Thankfully, I've started chelating dd (her sleep issues are due to metal toxicity) and she's slowly improving, though I don't want to get used to it yk?
Oh don't worry I am NOT TTC right now (I just like to obsessively plan for the future). Although we're using NFP so it could happen. But with DH getting deployed in January I have no desire to birth and try to parent a newborn alone, plus I don't want to have another child to "fix".

I am going to test my DD for mercury at some point--I wonder if her sleep issues are somehow related to that as I do have a ton of fillings. But she slept fine until 5 months, so I don't know if something like that could just start to affect her all of a sudden with nothing like vaxes or antibiotics added to mess up her system further.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page