~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#841 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
What did you mean when you said 6 cloves of garlic (other board ) werent doing enough? What did you see at 8-9/day? Im having such a hard time determining what is what. This week has produced the worst symptoms Ive had so far (and they continue). I got a cold, which makes me wonder; can the yeast resurge when your immunity is down even though I didnt change a thing about my regiment?, or did these symptoms start b/c I started garlic at that time too, or sodium ascorbate, or b/c Ive just been doing it long enough that Im at the next level of die-off? Cademyn, Im having serious intestinal issues; lots of bloating and gas with some discomfort, and a very loose bm in the a.m. This is new. Is is my body flushing toxins - I hope - but WHO KNOWS :
I've read that colds are a way of flushing toxins, so maybe that's what's going on with that. The bloating and stuff definitely sounds like die-off. If it's too uncomfortable you might want to back off a little with the new stuff you've started, or just start one a week if you started garlic and higher doses of vitamin C at the same time. How much sodium ascorbate are you taking? That can definitely cause gas & bloating if you take a lot.
#842 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 01:42 PM

We're going to visit DH's family for 10 days, so we'll see how it goes with sticking to the diet. I'm bringing some meat with us, DH sent his mom a shopping list for veggies, and we mailed her some CO, EVOO, and spices, along with legal ketchup & salsa...hopefully with all that I won't cheat too many times. I know we'll be eating out a lot, so that will make it difficult. I figure if I only cheat 3x I'll be doing well.

Speaking of cheating...after no cheating for a month I gave myself permission to have a treat yesterday. I'd been craving this coffee cake I used to make from packaged cake mix & pudding mix, so I made that. Ate almost the entire thing myself between eating the batter and then the coffee cake: Then DH wanted to go out to dinner so we ate Mexican...I don't think I have ever been so full in my entire life. I kept thinking about some verse in the Bible mentioning gluttony is a sin...I'll have to remember that for next time I'm tempted to binge! I'm sure I would have enjoyed my cheat a whole lot more if I'd just eaten less of it, too.

Oh well, I feel fine today (am I the only one who feels perfectly fine after cheating on my diet?). At least I won't be craving coffee cake again for a long long time!
#843 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Its like jello cream. Sort of like ice-cream too. The gelatin makes it set up into a blob-like consistency, but this melts when I add it to hot coffee, so it would surely get looser at room temp (I keep it in fridge, obviously). I keep it in a wide mouth jar, which wasnt specified, but I wouldnt be able to get it out otherwise. I eat it by spoonfuls sometimes, and even Dh likes it. Just made my second btch last night; used a qart in about 5 days.

What did you mean when you said 6 cloves of garlic (other board ) werent doing enough? What did you see at 8-9/day? Im having such a hard time determining what is what. This week has produced the worst symptoms Ive had so far (and they continue). I got a cold, which makes me wonder; can the yeast resurge when your immunity is down even though I didnt change a thing about my regiment?, or did these symptoms start b/c I started garlic at that time too, or sodium ascorbate, or b/c Ive just been doing it long enough that Im at the next level of die-off? Cademyn, Im having serious intestinal issues; lots of bloating and gas with some discomfort, and a very loose bm in the a.m. This is new. Is is my body flushing toxins - I hope - but WHO KNOWS :
How much stevia do you put in it? I'll try it.

In the beginning when I started a different candida diet, I was eating 2-4 cloves a day. I had very extensive die-off: full body rashes, other weird mosquito bite looing rashes, headaches, leg cramps, fatigue, stuffy nose.
After the rashes went away and things calmed down I was expecting recovery and healing which didn't happen so I moved on to SCD, started taking CO and making yogurt. Nothing. Went back on garlic, 4-6 cloves a day with food. Nothing. By nothing I mean for several weeks no die-off or improvement.
So now I'm on a strict diet again, no dairy at all, no grain, no beans, no fruit, n honey, no nuts etc, plus I upped the garlic to 3-4 cloves with each meal. the rashes came again but a lot less and lasted for only 1 day. I had a headache and tiredness for a day, and the next day gas, rumbly tummy, next day diarrhea, gas, and now I'm just down to gas and rumbly tummy, but not too bad. I did a few days of cabbage juice but I ran out so I'm taking a little break until the next batch is ready.
#844 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 01:54 PM
EBG

Cheating doesn't make me sick like to my stomach or something. I might get new itching and rashes two hours later or even a day later, but other than that I'm OK. However, cheating for me means NT desserts and not SAD desserts. I haven't had a piece of chocolate since November when I discovered the connection.... or a piece of cake, pie, pudding, muffin.....

I have had NT basic muffins and some of the desserts in the book as well as SCD desserts which pretty much stink. Or at least my nut flour things tasted horrible. Oh, except for the cheesecake, I love that one.
#845 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 PM

Garlic - the thing is, why wouldnt we *just* have gas and rumbling from the garlic? Raw garlic is very sulfurus. Today Ive eaten none (too rushed this a.m.) and the tummy is fine. .. But now I worry about not killing the yeast! ugh

I have a rejuvelac question. Today mine has a (sorry) vomity aftertaste. Needless to say, I cant drink it. I havent started a new batch for about 10 days (where you leave it for 3 days). I wonder if at a certain point it just gets rancid/yeasty? Im making a new batch today.... any thoughts (Ive used this head of cabbage for yesterdays and it was fine. Oh well, maybe I just need to scrub my blender and jar...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#846 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi there...question for all of you on SCD. Did you feel very hungry at first? I am so hungry and light-headed/confused, I can barely function. I had 3 eggs and cooked apples for b'fast, banana, turkey, nuts for snack, 3 almond flour muffins and 2 chicken legs for lunch and I feel like I haven't eaten anything! I haven't sourced the dry curd cottage cheese for my area yet and have had trouble with dairy in the past so wanted to wait a bit anyway...

Any ideas, etc?
#847 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllmomma
Hi there...question for all of you on SCD. Did you feel very hungry at first? I am so hungry and light-headed/confused, I can barely function. I had 3 eggs and cooked apples for b'fast, banana, turkey, nuts for snack, 3 almond flour muffins and 2 chicken legs for lunch and I feel like I haven't eaten anything! I haven't sourced the dry curd cottage cheese for my area yet and have had trouble with dairy in the past so wanted to wait a bit anyway...

Any ideas, etc?
I think you can get it from The Swiss Connection - they have a booth at the farmer's market (though I'm not sure if they actually have it there) else you'd have to drive 1+ hours from B'ton to get it. B'foods MAY have some dccc but I'm not entirely sure - they should be able to get some if you can identify a brand.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#848 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
EBG

Quote:

Any ideas, etc?
Do you eat enough fat?
Drench everything with butter, it helps! Put butter on your muffins, too, slice them up like bread. Eat the skin with the chicken if you can.
#849 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Any ideas, etc?
Yes, and I'm still fighting it 2 weeks into it! I usually get to the breaking point and then make something with coconut oil and that does it for me. I think it is definately brought on my the lack of fat. I can't do dairy or eggs, so butter is out for me and so are a lot of the recipes in BTVC. I've made a few of the recipes from pecanbread.com (cary's cookies, the eggless almond flour bread and the eggless cutout cookies) and they aren't the best thing around, but when I get to this point, I can devour them like nobody's business. I've also found the almond butter/coconut oil/vanilla candy works well when I'm in this funk. I've also noticed that this SCD diet is making my emotional state crazy. I'm starting to feel bipolar. Please tell me that it gets better . . .
#850 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 PM
EBG

what is the almond butter/coconut oil/vanilla candy? Do you sweeten it with something? What are the ratios?
I tried the chocolate with cocoa, CO and stevia. Yuck.
#851 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
what is the almond butter/coconut oil/vanilla candy? Do you sweeten it with something? What are the ratios?
I tried the chocolate with cocoa, CO and stevia. Yuck.
It's called "almond butter candy". It's:

1/4 cup of coconut butter/oil
1 cup of almond butter
1 tbs of vanilla flavoring

Just mix it together, drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet (I put it on parchment paper first) and freeze.

It has a little bit of a tart aftertaste, but it grew on me. And it's great to keep in the freezer and just pop in your mouth when you're feeling famished (or crazy, which is more the norm for me lately!)
#852 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 08:25 PM

What do you think of Susan Weed's cure for candida overgrowth?

Quote:
To: susunweed@herbshealing.com
Subject: diagnosis candida - need help!

Hello Susan,

I have just recently discovered your website and am sponging up all your wonderful, informative writing as fast as I can. I've already placed an order for your books and am waiting anxiously for them but meanwhile, I wonder if you can give me some direction is my ongoing battle with candida-albicans.

In a nutshell, after 2 years of antibiotics, which only made my multitude of symptoms worse, and a highly stressful job and lifestyle, I discovered a naturopath who immediately told me I had candida. For the past year I've been on ALOT of naturopathic capsules (very costly) and have changed my eating habits and food choices to all organic, no sugar or caffeine, only whole grains, very fresh or freshly ground, etc... I've even quit my very stressful job and am seeking freelance work and a more balanced lifestyle. I am married and have a 4 year daughter at home, am 40 years old and fairly fit and active (working to improve my exercise patterns)

The capsules and supplements I take now are:

Zypan - stomach acid
Zymex - slow fix for candida
Drenamin - ? not exactly sure but think it's supposed to sort of lure
candida away from vital organs while we're working on eliminating it?
DHA - brain food
Calcium
Catalyn - vitamin supplement
Garlic - standard capsule

Teas - drink lots of Yerbamate and Paul D'arco loose teas daily with stevia - and have just started using Paul D'arco tea as a douche to try to put out the fires of my yeast infections.

Anyway, I still struggle daily with yeast infections and the cough after eating from not digesting my food (bad gut flora levels-I take Zypan for my digestive needs), and alot of sinus mucus along with various negative emotional effects do you know of other herbals that could help me recover from this faster and less expensively?

Signed, Desperate for health

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!

Susun's response:

Oh dear. From my point of view you are doing the worst things in the world to try to help yourself. Let me explain.

Candida overgrowth results from lack of gut flora (killed by antibiotics in your case, but also killed by chlorine in the water, preservatives in food, and essential oils in your environment).

Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy! You need it. But not so much of it.

What would convince it to ease off? More gut flora! You need to eat lots of moldy, yeasty, bacteria rich foods like yogurt and sour dough bread and homemade wines and unwashed fruit (for the molds on the skins) and miso and sauerkraut. I know. I know. This doctor told you to avoid all those foods. I can only tell you that I have helped people who have had candida for over a decade, people who have taken all the (expensive) pills, people who have eaten strict diets, people who have done everything they though was right but still weren't healthy and still had symptoms. After 7-10 days on the fermented, moldy, yeasty, bacteria rich diet they are smiling and feeling great!!

My friend Ryan Drum has also treated hundreds of candida cleanse failures. His remedy is the same, only more simple. He has you stir a big spoonful of organic garden soil into a glass of water and drink it daily for a month. Gets those molds, yeasts, bacteria, and fungi back in the gut where they belong. I also see that the stores are selling pills of soil micro organism, so if you are really into pills, you could choose that option.But it is ever so much more fum (and less expensive) to just eat blue cheese, etc.

My suggestions to replace your drugs:
Dandelion root tincture, 20 drops before meals instead of Zypan
Yogurt, etc instead of Zymex
Candida does not get into any organs, it stays in the intestines. So avoid Drenamin
Nourish your brain with whole grains and cooked greens. Avoid soy, and stop taking DHA.
Calcium makes brittle bones. Instead drink nourishing herbal infusions and eat yogurt.
A cup of nettle infusion has 500mg calcium. A cup of yogurt has 450mg of calcium.
There are no vitamins in pills. Vitamins are enzymes produced by living tissues. All pills contain laboratory make synthetics and cause disease. Those who take as little as 500mg of vitamin C a day for a year create blood vessels that look twice their age. Throw away your Catalyn.
Consumer reports found that garlic powder, like you buy in the supermarket had more effect that any garlic capsule on the market. Costs a lot less too. Even fresh garlic works better. Cook with it. Roast it. Eat it on toast. Make it into pesto. Be creative, but throw out the pills.

Instead of Yerbamate which is full of caffeine, try nourishing herbal infusions if nettle or oatstraw or comfrey leaf or red clover. All of them will help your gut. Pau D'arco will kill gut flora. Please stop drinking it. Stevia could also make things worse as it is so sweet. Try to do without it for a while if you could.

If you have a vaginal yeast infection, it is NOT related to candida. Same organism, almost, but with a different lifestyle. First, eat yogurt. Then, put yogurt into your vagina. Do this for at least ten days. If symptoms do not go within a week, you have a bacterial infection, not a yeast infection. If so, you could put a peeled clove of garlic inside, near the cervix for 10-14 days to challenge the bacteria. Be prepared to smell like garlic if you choose this option. But please don't use Pau D'arco or anything else as a douche. Douches cause vaginal infections!!!

So these are my opinions. They are based on my extensive and ongoing research and my work with people over the past 35 years. We are all different and what has helped some others may not help you. But it might

Let me know how it goes for you. Helps me help others.

Green Blessings,

Susun Weed
from: http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezin..._Mar-02.htm#q2

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#853 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou
Yes, and I'm still fighting it 2 weeks into it! I usually get to the breaking point and then make something with coconut oil and that does it for me. I think it is definately brought on my the lack of fat. I can't do dairy or eggs, so butter is out for me and so are a lot of the recipes in BTVC. I've made a few of the recipes from pecanbread.com (cary's cookies, the eggless almond flour bread and the eggless cutout cookies) and they aren't the best thing around, but when I get to this point, I can devour them like nobody's business. I've also found the almond butter/coconut oil/vanilla candy works well when I'm in this funk. I've also noticed that this SCD diet is making my emotional state crazy. I'm starting to feel bipolar. Please tell me that it gets better . . .
Yes it will get better. I think we've all been through the emotional part of this. It won't last long.
#854 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou
It's called "almond butter candy". It's:

1/4 cup of coconut butter/oil
1 cup of almond butter
1 tbs of vanilla flavoring

Just mix it together, drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet (I put it on parchment paper first) and freeze.

It has a little bit of a tart aftertaste, but it grew on me. And it's great to keep in the freezer and just pop in your mouth when you're feeling famished (or crazy, which is more the norm for me lately!)
I make mine w/honey and leave out the vanilla. They're good!
#855 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 11:41 PM

Sorry for the confusion...calendula oil was recommended by my homeopath, but it is not homeopathic. Just get it by a reputable company (Herb Pharm, Gaia etc.) I'm sure what you found is fine. Calendula is very good at repairing and soothing skin.

I was starving to death my first two weeks on the SCD. I ate PLENTY of fat. I think it was just part of detox. My body (well, the yeast) wanted carbs and since I wasn't eating them I just didn't get full. After the withdrawal stopped I was fine and eating much less. You may just need to hang in there. You could be getting rid of an addiction. It gets better.
#856 of 861 Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 PM

I may get shot here, but theoretically Susun Weed's protocol is great. I have never tried it so I can't speak for it's efficacy. However, when you study this stuff from an organic perspective she's dead on. That response is very confusing though. She says calcium makes brittle bones-not true. If you are getting it from a synthetic source it can be true but there are many other factors here. Regardless she then goes on to say that herbal infusions have more calcium that yogurt. But you just told us that calcium is bad? I know what she means, but it's confusing. She also says that candida does not leave the intestines. That isn't true. It grows through the intestines, gets into the bloodstream and absolutely can infect other organs. There is MUCH evidence that proves this. It isn't just a theory. Another thing that bothered me is that cooking garlic kills the allicin which is the antifungal agent. Soooooo, son't ever cook it or roast it. It needs to be raw to be fully effective. This is also why deoderized garlic pills DON'T WORK. Reading that response would turn me off to her work, if I didn't already love her.
#857 of 861 Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM

I have had horrible cravings too. Everytime I start a new step in the process I get them, I just added candex this week. I try not to cheat but inevitably I do and I binge. Not a whole coffee cake...yet . I think part of my craving is that I feel deprived of textures, especially crunchy. If eating carbs is an addiction, will I ever get over it?

We create our own reality.
#858 of 861 Old 09-02-2006, 12:21 AM

I think we are going to switch to the program on candidasupport. Really at this point it is such a small step from where we are that it is hardly noticable. I'm hopeful that it will fill in some gaps for us. Sadly it doesn't let us add back in a single food and makes us eliminate a couple more. If it works we will all be happier.

So I'm working on incresing my intake of fats. Never thought I would say that. I also didn't realize how difficult that can be! I need some ideas on how to get more CO into me w/o nuts, fruit, or dairy that doesn't include taking it straight. Increasing dd's fats is easy. I'm just feeding her pats of butter. She is thrilled. Guess I shouldn't have been fighting this in her. (she has craved butter for a long time).

I think that this program will be somewhat easier and cheaper. I'm not sure what to do about all the extra suppliments I have been taking. I think I'll keep them up untill the bottles run out.

Oh and I cured my fathers leg cramps while I was home. Got him taking magnesium and he is thrilled. This wasn't the first time I tried to convince him that magnesium was his problem but it was the first time it sank in. My mother however was hopeless. She just doesn't want to go through die off. In general they nit picked my parenting so much that I didn't want to start any deep conversations anyhow. : This was one vacation that I wish I hadn't bothered taking. It was far more work than staying home would have been and no rest or relaxation. Silly me thinking my parents would be supportive of me at this time. I sure hope I can figure out how to overcome this programing and not do the same thing to my amazing DD. I don't want her to have to move half way across the country as an adult just to escape me and live her own life.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#859 of 861 Old 09-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I think we are going to switch to the program on candidasupport. Really at this point it is such a small step from where we are that it is hardly noticable. I'm hopeful that it will fill in some gaps for us. Sadly it doesn't let us add back in a single food and makes us eliminate a couple more. If it works we will all be happier.

So I'm working on incresing my intake of fats. Never thought I would say that. I also didn't realize how difficult that can be! I need some ideas on how to get more CO into me w/o nuts, fruit, or dairy that doesn't include taking it straight. Increasing dd's fats is easy. I'm just feeding her pats of butter. She is thrilled. Guess I shouldn't have been fighting this in her. (she has craved butter for a long time).

I think that this program will be somewhat easier and cheaper. I'm not sure what to do about all the extra suppliments I have been taking. I think I'll keep them up untill the bottles run out.

Oh and I cured my fathers leg cramps while I was home. Got him taking magnesium and he is thrilled. This wasn't the first time I tried to convince him that magnesium was his problem but it was the first time it sank in. My mother however was hopeless. She just doesn't want to go through die off. In general they nit picked my parenting so much that I didn't want to start any deep conversations anyhow. : This was one vacation that I wish I hadn't bothered taking. It was far more work than staying home would have been and no rest or relaxation. Silly me thinking my parents would be supportive of me at this time. I sure hope I can figure out how to overcome this programing and not do the same thing to my amazing DD. I don't want her to have to move half way across the country as an adult just to escape me and live her own life.
Psst there's a september thread
#860 of 861 Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla

Already you are breaking your parent's mold. Sorry your parents aren't supportive or open to new ideas. *sigh* it is just easier for some to put up with the status quo. You are already doing the best you can for your DD by healing her through diet.

I am on similar dietary restrictions (no dairy, no fruit) At this time I just do not have the willpower to give up a few more things. Right now my treat is coconut milk yogurt, it is pretty yummy. Good luck with the candidasupport diet. Can you cook with coconut milk? I make a lot of curry using curry paste and a can of coconut milk . I tried stevia I don't recommend spending the money on it.

We create our own reality.
#861 of 861 Old 09-02-2006, 01:17 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page