#121 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Maybe that Cheat Sheet needs Crib Notes. :

1. Digestive enzymes with meals.
2. Enzymes between meals, esp. proteases and cellulases.
3. Yogurt/kefir/fermented foods/probiotics.
4. Cut out foods you determine that you cannot digest.
5. Add nutrient dense superfoods and good quality supplements.
6. Educate yourself on what is really a healthy diet... nutrient deficiencies can in themselves lead to many digestive issues.
7. If all the above doesn't work, investigate alternatives: anti fungals/bacterials, homeopathy, etc.
I think it's a *great* idea to add this to the Cheat Sheet sticky - at the top! Also I couldnt' find the prepping for PG thread link there (sis is TTC for the first time and has gut issues).

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#122 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I discovered that dd1's problem was probably not the pasta after all. . . this morning she had a huge mushy poopy and then explosive d. afterward. Yesterday she ate a granola bar that I made from p.butter, honey, nuts, & sunflower seeds. Poor baby never has had nuts or seeds like that before. The sunflower seeds came out whole.

It's reeeally hard for me to rememeber to go slowly with this process.
#123 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 01:51 PM

Thanks so much everyone for the replies!

We're doing a way lower sugar diet for DS today and so far so good. Although he is currently fighting a nap......

We try for protein as much as possible, but his allergies combined with oral defensiveness b/c of SID leaves his entire diet comprised of gluten-free grains, goat milk and yogurt, buffalo milk yogurt, occasionally nuts or peanut butter, and fruits. Oh, and eggs when the moon is just the right size and it's the perfect time of day. So, his diet is totally frustrating in terms of dealing with his digestive issues. The allergist (who does seem to be up on leaky gut) said we shouldn't try a no-carb diet right now because DS would wilt away, literally. So, we're waiting on that and trying other routes.

Low sugar low sugar low sugar -- our mantra for the day.

Thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#124 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What I say to everyone: Digestive enzymes every meal, between meals and lots and lots of probiotics. She might not need to change diet much, but needless to say no junk food at all.

See the thread "How Not to Have An Allergic Child" and do (or not do) all of those things with the new babe to be. I don't know what Quinn's history is, but formula or abx or vaxs, no way!

And I don't know your dietary philosophy is, but I sorely regret that I had not read "Nourishing Traditons" and "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" before pg. http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html

Did you see that Prepping for Pg thread, I think I have it linked in Cheat Sheet?
Thank you!

I, too, can't find the prepping for pg thread -- can you direct me?

We'll definitely check out the books, too.

She started probiotics today. When you say lots and lots, would that be multiple capsules multiple times a day?

And in terms of enzymes, I'd love to hear what folks use and where you get them. What do you use at meals and which ones between? We want to get going with this asap.......I have the sense it will really make a difference for DW, and hopefully for the next babe! Luckily, her diet is pretty balanced and includes little junk, so hopefully adding this in will do the job.

Thanks again!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#125 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl
Thanks so much everyone for the replies!

We're doing a way lower sugar diet for DS today and so far so good. Although he is currently fighting a nap......

We try for protein as much as possible, but his allergies combined with oral defensiveness b/c of SID leaves his entire diet comprised of gluten-free grains, goat milk and yogurt, buffalo milk yogurt, occasionally nuts or peanut butter, and fruits. Oh, and eggs when the moon is just the right size and it's the perfect time of day. So, his diet is totally frustrating in terms of dealing with his digestive issues. The allergist (who does seem to be up on leaky gut) said we shouldn't try a no-carb diet right now because DS would wilt away, literally. So, we're waiting on that and trying other routes.

Low sugar low sugar low sugar -- our mantra for the day.

Thanks!
megin
The nap fighting will take a long time to correct if the cause is based on digestive problems.

The SCD isn't no carb.

Banana pancakes are a good way to get eggs into a child: mash one banana, add one large egg. Fry in butter or coconut oil. Make small in size (silver dollar). Can also replace banana with one large rounded tablespoon of nut butter and add a bit of honey, vanilla and scant 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
#126 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Well I discovered that dd1's problem was probably not the pasta after all. . . this morning she had a huge mushy poopy and then explosive d. afterward. Yesterday she ate a granola bar that I made from p.butter, honey, nuts, & sunflower seeds. Poor baby never has had nuts or seeds like that before. The sunflower seeds came out whole.

It's reeeally hard for me to rememeber to go slowly with this process.
Yes, that will probably do it ... except from my own experience I know that if my gut wasn't digesting corn and other grains, it made eating nuts and seeds worse.
#127 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
I think it's a *great* idea to add this to the Cheat Sheet sticky - at the top! Also I couldnt' find the prepping for PG thread link there (sis is TTC for the first time and has gut issues).
Sorry, I thought I put it in there...

Prepping the Body for Optimal Pregnancy
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=398509
#128 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
JaneS, what about the barley grass and oat grass in Primal Defense -- wouldn't they contain gluten?
Since it's fermented. I'm not personally worried about the tiny traces.

Up next: Transfer Factor.
If anyone has any learning on this or wants to research along with me?
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/tf.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/tf/s/tfkids.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Another thing that makes me nervous about Primal Defense is that it doesn't actually state everything that's in there.
? More info on this please... I chose the powder b/c it has so few ingredients.
#129 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl
Thank you!

I, too, can't find the prepping for pg thread -- can you direct me?

We'll definitely check out the books, too.

She started probiotics today. When you say lots and lots, would that be multiple capsules multiple times a day?

And in terms of enzymes, I'd love to hear what folks use and where you get them. What do you use at meals and which ones between? We want to get going with this asap.......I have the sense it will really make a difference for DW, and hopefully for the next babe! Luckily, her diet is pretty balanced and includes little junk, so hopefully adding this in will do the job.

Thanks again!
megin
Prepping for Pg posted above and added to Cheat Sheet.

Yes, multiple capsules, multiple times/day and or homemade yogurt/kefir.

I like Thropp's Ultra for a good all around, it's also the most economical
http://www.throppsnutrition.com/ps_ElitezymeUltra.htm

See Yeast/Bacteria link at www.enzymestuff.com for ideas to take in between meals. Or you could just also start with your all around product too.
#130 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 03:06 PM

thanks for the enzyme info! i think i'll try thropp's, but just wanted to check whether any of the ones from whole foods, such as solgar, the whole foods 365 brand, etc, would be good. we could avoid some shipping, then.........i'd love to know -- thanks!

thanks so much for all the wisdom here, mamas!

megin

#131 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Oh crap...I think I did it now. My digestion was just starting to seem on the upswing when I took pyridium (urinary analgesic - I get chronic UTIs from sex and we're ttc so my doc prescribed it as a preventative) and had/have massive amounts of stomach pain. Burning/cramping horribleness. I had a terrible BM and know that tomorrow will be terrible as I tend to feel the full effects of a flare the following day, complete with indigestion, gas, etc. : It's weird...I've used pyridium in the past and have never had a reaction like this.
I'm drinking kombucha and eating sauerkraut hoping to replenish the good guys. Ugh...and this was only the first day of dtd during possible ovulation. I still have a few days left. ACK!
#132 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 05:07 PM

what i read is that the hormone your body pumps out in order to start the uterus contracting for your period, also makes your intestines contract so loose stools etc are common

been reading thru this thread, i'm sure a lot of this could be useful here at our house but honestly i can't even understand 3/4 of it so far! (esp. with all the abbreviations) for now i keep reading and regretting the fact that i didn't do well in chemistry because its sure starting to feel like i need a degree to understand this stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Re: menstrual cycles & gut - - me too! AF always messes with my digestion. It took me a while to link it solely to hormones, but that's all it is. I really really dislike that bit**. Ah well, at least she waited 10 mos. pp this time. With dd1 she returned 6 WEEKS pp!
#133 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, multiple capsules, multiple times/day and or homemade yogurt/kefir.

I like Thropp's Ultra for a good all around, it's also the most economical
http://www.throppsnutrition.com/ps_ElitezymeUltra.htm
Thank you Jane I just ordered some. Looks like this stuff will also help DH. Wouldn't that be great!!! Crossing my fingers it does some good for both of us.

Question on glutamine: I ordered some, but that company had discontinued the brand I purchased. So I was looking for some more today, and one brand at least states "do not take while pg or lactating." Others just have the standard warning to check with your doc before taking any supplement if you are pg. And I thought that since it is just an amino acid, it would actually be good for baby and me? I'll hold off getting any until I know more.

Update on my flipping GI doc: idiot was scheduled to call me last evening- and didn't. I wrote a letter stating that I refuse to pay the dr bill. DH says I'm going to have to pay it anyway; I maintain that I didn't get the services expected for the fee, therefore I won't pay. We'll see...
#134 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyBluNH@aol
what i read is that the hormone your body pumps out in order to start the uterus contracting for your period, also makes your intestines contract so loose stools etc are common
I experience this at AF. I've never been one to bemoan the arrival of AF (ok, except when TTC!), but since my gut issues have developed, AF-induced gut yuck is THE WORST. First day of AF is pretty much a guaranteed most-of-the-day on the toilet. Gross gross gross.
#135 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyBluNH@aol
for now i keep reading and regretting the fact that i didn't do well in chemistry because its sure starting to feel like i need a degree to understand this stuff!
I just said this to a friend of mine IRL.
#136 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 PM

Wow this thread is humming!

We have been gone all week. I managed to feed us for a week. Other than that it was horrible. Our "family vacation" was a big fiasco and dh is going to be in the dog house for a long time. I'm still furious with him for what he put me through this past week. DD has regressed a bunch. I think it was lack of sleep though. She acted at times like she got some illegals but I couldn't ever point to any. I cut out the enzymes to see if that made a difference and it didn't seem to. I can't wait to get back to our regular chiro appointments. Answering all the myriad questions about our diet wasn't fun either. At least everyone accepted it as a real issue but man I got tired of explaining ourselves. I also got tired of cooking in a strange place.

I'll read some time soon.

I'm wanting ideas on how to get a wider range of probiotics into dd. (that amish poop has been going through my mind all week. ) She eats lots of bubbies sourkraut and our own home made when I make it. Tons of yougart. I couldn't keep up with keifer, it just was too much and I think it wasn't good for us. She doesn't like beet Kvass. I love it when I have a stomach ache but had to throw mine out with the power outage. I'll have to make some more...

I just want my baby to be better. It broke my heart telling her no to all the fruit the rest of the kids were eating this week. Her one treat is the Ionic Fizz stuff and I can't give her too much of that or... We have been off fruit for 4 or 5 weeks I forget. Her poor vulva was so red and irritated all week. It made me want to cry at times. I know this takes time and I'm pretty sure we are dealing with celiacs on top of the yeast so I don't dare quit scd and introduce grains at this point.

I'll quit whining. I've gotta unpack. DH took dd to the park to give me a break.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#137 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla

I'm wanting ideas on how to get a wider range of probiotics into dd. (that amish poop has been going through my mind all week. ) She eats lots of bubbies sourkraut and our own home made when I make it. Tons of yougart. I couldn't keep up with keifer, it just was too much and I think it wasn't good for us. She doesn't like beet Kvass. I love it when I have a stomach ache but had to throw mine out with the power outage. I'll have to make some more...
What about homemade lacto-fermented salsa or pickles? The pickles at least are super easy to make and pretty mild tasting (at least the batch I made so far). Or maybe try JaneS's idea of culturing different types of probiotics in yogurt?

Sorry your week was so rough.
#138 of 861 Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 PM

As far as periods making digestive problems worse, a doctor from Texas, Dr. Roby, says it has to do with hormone allergies. His main specialty is allergies, though. See http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/hormoneallergies/
JaneS, re: the ingredients for primal defense not all being on there, I guess my concern was the "ionic plant based minerals" (which ones -- and in what ratios?), and also the fact that on BTVC it says that it contains kelp and algae, which the bottle does not say. Or does it?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#139 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 02:03 AM

Crap! I just wrote a ton and then it disappeared. Im sorry this is more me me me, I just dont know where else to turn.

I am living in a nightmare. This has been one of the worst weeks of my life. Im sorry to sound dramatic, but its real. I was happy, hopeful, joyful before this. I was getting through mourning and feeling optimistic. Then this, and everything turned 180. I never had gut issues in my life. I cant believe Im here. I take abx for a week, start to notice my tummy doing wierd things, and feeling not quite right, and read about candida, and now Im almost despondent. I know, die-off right Headeache and lethargy, not b/c you've just stopped eating all carbs coffe and chocolate; die-off. Depression and anxiety, not b/c the life you loved is gone; die-off. My head is spinning. I am incredibly afraid. I feel like this has taken over my life and I will never get myself back. My relationship with Dh is being sorely tested - as he is skeptical; would like me to eat some carbs and see if I get a reaction, which would either prove to me that Im acting out of fear or to him that somehting is going on, and I am completely acting in fear. I am borderline having a constant anxiety attack. What the hell just happened to my life!!? I didnt come to this with allergies or gut problems. Before I got pg I was having a great life - being in the moment, felling really healthy and strong, appreciating all I have. I am having SUCH a hard time believeing that this could happen in 2 weeks, and yet I do. Why? Because I match many of the vague descriptors. My *symptoms* were there for 4 days before I started making changes, so if you consider the *one month for every year of being sick* theory, I should be healed by now right : Instead Ive tacked on the whole time of being pregnant, since the last time I actuially felt physically vital was right before we conceived, so that would put me at 2 mos and a few days of symptoms (which I didnt actually have, Im just rounding up), and then I just round up to 3 mos for the hell of it, which would put me at 10 days to *heal*. I havent had many symtoms during this week, except headache/lethargy the first two days, EXCEPT anxiety. But some moments, when I decide, ok, this is what it is, I just need to get on a protocal for say, 3 mos, I CAN have my life back, I just need to eradicate this stuff, or regain balance in my gut, I dont feel any *symtoms*. All the things I feel at this point could be very easily attributed to anxiety, and if I didnt know anything about candida, thats what I would think. But now my judgement, my instincts are thrown b/c I am scared. What if...? And then I come here and you are all so happy to be doing what you're doing. It's healed you, or is healing you! I didnt ever feel bad! And yes, maybe I had issues that this is bringing forward, but frankly, if I felt great and had hidden things happening in my body, I dont really care. Im one of the most health conscious people I know, but especially about sugar in the diet! How ironic can you get! Last night I took dd and ds to a potluck for dd's summer class. I ate nothing, and watched everyone socializing happily and enjoying a nice meal and playing with their kids, and I was starving and isolated and depressed (though putting on my act for the kids - who are my only source of joy. They and Dh. But I feel like a huge weight on this family, dragging us down. Maybe if I wasnt so hungry and weak, I dont know). I go between resignation, denial (maybe if I did eat some carbs like Dh thinks, it would be ok), and total anxiety and sadness and isolation. I cant talk about it with anyone, as they all suspect Im having a panic attack (or I imagine they do). I WISH there was a medical professional I could talk to about this who I trusted wasnt a hoo-ha and I could figure out if anything really is amiss. Where are they? How do you find someone who's scientific about this!

What does healed mean? When you say your healed, what does that mean? if I never had gut/allergy/etc trouble in my LIFE before this odd week after taking abx, it seems like I need to regain a balance in my gut and then I can return to a life that always worked for me. But then I read of how pernicious this stuff is, and I feel like I have a chronic illness and my life has just been pulled out from under me. I certainly have in mind "happiness is a choice" and "breast cancer fears me" as I write. I KNOW how I might sound. But really, right now, I just dont care. I have to talk to SOMEONE about how I feel or I WILL go insane. Why does every *success* story involve nystatin, and why dont I take it (oh right, b/c Im not even sure whats going on, but Im afraid eneough to starve my self this week and not want to cheat for fear of going "back to square one" as someone said on candidasupport, which is a very frightening place to be). Im ready to call Trent Nichols b/c of ericaz's experience, Im ready to have my Dh write me a scrip for nystatin even though I dont totally trust myself in all this (he's more ready to do the same to make me feel psychologically better). But even as I say that I think of a study he pulled up for me where two groups were given either nystatin or a placebo and both recovered from cadida overgrowth. That's just it, I dont know who to trust. You all sound so joyful and commited in this way of life, and that's great, but I dont want it! I loved my life as it was. I dont see this as an opportunity, and I really dont htink its just a bad attitude. I HAD the health I wanted. I always have. Now my tongue has a thin white coating and Im freaked! Im whittling away, eating spoonfuls of coconut oil (gag), choking down more meat and fat than I can stand just to stem the weightloss, scared, alone...

I dont know what Im looking for here. Not how lucky I am, or how this is a gift. Its not for me. Its very bleak at my house these days and Im looking for a light. I want my life back! I want my joy back! I want my kids and Dh back! I want my SELF back!!! please help

(I hope this didnt offend anyone. I do respect all that you now and have been through. I just dont feel like I belong. But then where do I : )

Thanks for listening!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#140 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Hey saskiasmom. Yep, it's pretty crappy to be on the diet. Damned crappy. I am one of those whose come out the other end and feel better for it, but I do remember those days. I was insane and more insane than normal (since I was pretty crazy for other reasons). You can try to slow the die-off reaction by adding a bit of carbohydrates. And since it sounds like you just took the antibiotics, I assume you are eating lots of probiotic food.

You might try to shore up the depression front too with omega 3 fatty acids and a good B complex vitamin. If you get muscle cramps and twitches, you might need magnesium. If your nails have white spots, if your nails or hair grow slowly, you might need zinc. All of these aggravate depression.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#141 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM

saskiasmom,

Yes this whole healing process can be discouraging, depressing, and hard. Every one of us on this board has been there at some point. It will not always be like that, it does get better (not that there won't be intermittent frustrated moments).

A word of advice, said as nicely as possible: you need to stop worrying about the "one month for every year" thing. It is clearly driving you nuts. While it may be a general rule, each of us is individual and different people take different amounts of time to heal. But as I said before, you may have had problems for a while that you weren't even aware weren't normal. I started the whole healing thing because my daughter showed signs of food intolerances--I felt fine and didn't know I had any problems. But now that I've been doing this for awhile, I know I had many symptoms of yeast overgrowth--acne, low blood sugar issues, gas, constipation (I thought it was due to eating a low-fiber diet as it went away as soon as I added more fiber), itching in the nether regions (never had a yeast infection though), blisters on the bottom of my foot for no apparent reason (now I believe they were a fungal infection as they are gone), mild depression...there's probably others.

On the adding carbs thing--you will not necessarily know if the diet is helping you based on how you feel if you add more carbs or "illegal" foods. While many people feel lousy or have symptoms return when they eat illegal foods, I feel no different, so that's not an absolute guide.

If you want suggestions on meals or ways to get more coconut oil (that taste good, too), let me know I have quite a few. You can eat fairly "normal" meals--I have recipes for shepherd's pie, chili, chop suey among others.
#142 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 12:58 PM

wow..you people are so smart..i am trying to keep up!
#143 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 02:28 PM

saskiasmom,
I think we've all been through the emotional part of starting this healing process. I didn't think I needed healing either. I NEVER had any type of yeast issues in my life, was not in any pain, ate whatever I pleased and didn't think much about my gut. Until I came here in the hopes of helping dd.

The first 3 weeks were the worst. It's hard trying to alter your lifestyle so dramatically all at once. I remember the second week standing in my kitchen just sobbing to dh about how hard it was and "why, why, why?"

You'll get past it. I promise. And, you will feel better for it.
#144 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Okay, I have a question. Let's see how non-rambly I can make this. I'm on an anti-candida diet. I'm supposed to start doing parasite cleanses. But this month there's too much going on, so I've been backing off. Friday, I thought it would be fine to eat something sugary. (VERY sugary, as I discovered. are regular people numb to sweetness?) Next day, it seemed like I had a cold, and indigestion too. Today, I just have a swollen throat (only on my right side) and a sensitive right eye. Meanwhile all my joint pain (which hasn't really come back yet) is always on my right side, supposed to be indicative of liver issues.

So the question: how likely is it that this is a flare up of yeast, or whatever?

I'm thinking of getting into grilling fish and eventually organic chicken, thoug I'm (not-strict) vegetarian and in particular avoid cooking meat at home. Mainly so that it's something easy and safe, and something I can get my DP to do when I'm really zonked.

In general, I'm so overwhelmed
#145 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm starting slowly into all this, and am getting ready to start making my own yogurt. But I'm confused about the bifidus issue in SCD. I know Elaine is very against it in a starter, but it is what infants need, right? I'm doing this to help dd, who is 9 weeks old with major food intolerances. And if I don't use it in the yogurt starter, should I keep taking my supplement that has it?

Thanks!
#146 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to point out that I just put links to all the past HTG threads. There is so much info in these threads and if anyone has a couple of weeks to yourself to spare, you should be able to sail through them

In searching for the links, I inadvertently found out that it was Jane's b-day last week, so a belated Happy B-Day Jane

sakiasmom, first off, Are you familiar the stages of grief by Kubler-Ross, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_stages_of_grief If not, you might want to take a look at it. You are just at the beginning of this journey and I can guarantee you that when all of us started this journey, our emotions were very similar to yours. Without a doubt I could have written your post 4 yrs ago : (oh dear, has it been that long). This is hard. Please, I'll say it again, this is incredibly difficult and I'm sorry you have joined us on the journey. It does get easier, I promise And please don't worry about offending anyone, we.have.all.been.there. Please be gentle w/yourself.
#147 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 08:48 PM

JaneS, that transfer factor page reminded a friend of mine of a scam one of her aunts was involved in that used egg antibodies. She said it was almost the same wording, only using colostrum where her aunt's had used egg antibodies.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#148 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou
I'm starting slowly into all this, and am getting ready to start making my own yogurt. But I'm confused about the bifidus issue in SCD. I know Elaine is very against it in a starter, but it is what infants need, right? I'm doing this to help dd, who is 9 weeks old with major food intolerances. And if I don't use it in the yogurt starter, should I keep taking my supplement that has it?

Thanks!
Bifidus is what you need if you give it to your babe directly. You don't need to use bifidus for yourself, the 24 hr yogurt should be fine for you. If your gut is healthy and has the right balance of good bacteria your DD should get the proper bacteria (bifidus) for her through the BM.
#149 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Hey folks,

I'm about to take the plunge and make my first order for raw milk. Mostly I'll make yogurt for me and DW and DS will drink raw goat milk (and maybe I'll make yogurt for him too). I'm feeling a bit jittery, though, at this last minute moment about the whole raw thing. I know raw milk suppliers are super careful, but if something weren't right, what would I be looking for (in terms of symptoms, reaction, etc). And any words of reassurance?

Second, where can I buy the yogurt starter (I think yogurmet) that folks have mentioned around here?

Can't wait to take this plunge -- thanks for helping to make the landing gentler......

megin

#150 of 861 Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Anybody know anything about herbal teas? I'm thinking about buying some bulk herbs to make a tea for liver support and one for digestive support. The liver support blend I'm looking at has burdock root, dandelion root, echinacea, Oregon grape root, yellow dock root, and sarsaparilla. The digestive support blend has fennel, fenugreek, ginger root, and spearmint (it also calls for flax seed but I think flax is bad so I won't use that). Or a different digestive support tea (supposed to be stronger) calls for angelica root, ginger root, yellow dock root, fennel, cinnamon chips, and cardamom pods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page