~Healing the Gut AUGUST MAMAS~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I know this stuff is expensive but anyone think it might be worth it??? http://www.customprobiotics.com/
I am liking the sounds of this one:
D-Lactate free probiotic formulation, most specific for autistic children. It consists of L. Salivarius, L. Rhamnosus, B. Bifidum and B. Infantis at 250 billion cfu's/gram. Price: $165 per 100 gram; $100 per 50 gram.

I really need to go back and read Goodpapa's probiotic thread again. . .
#182 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Was just reading goodpapa's thread and also remembered Jane mentioning L.Reuteri a few posts back. . . .

I'm starting to think that my no-longer-b'feeding dd1 needs this. (She's the one with NO lactobacillus showing on her CDSA.)

Just wondering, since it isn't SCD legal (right?) if any of you mamas are using it. Jane, have you tried this w/ds?
#183 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS

Bristol Stool Scale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale
Anyone have a similar link for the poop of an exclusively breastfed baby? Although this is my second baby, I've had extreme breastmilk oversupply problems with ds and dd (green, liquid, frothy poop) so I'm not used to the various poops we are getting now. I'm testing foods following a long elimination diet of dairy, gluten, rice, soy, almonds, chocolate, and oranges. When I tested wheat dd had mucus in her poop right away so I knew that was not OK, but I'm unsure about other poop issues (consistency, colour, frequency).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#184 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Slightly OT, but I'm looking for lunch ideas. Seems I'm ok about menu planning for breakfast and dinner but I have a tendency to get stumped on the midday meal. Suggestions??
#185 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
Anyone have a similar link for the poop of an exclusively breastfed baby? Although this is my second baby, I've had extreme breastmilk oversupply problems with ds and dd (green, liquid, frothy poop) so I'm not used to the various poops we are getting now. I'm testing foods following a long elimination diet of dairy, gluten, rice, soy, almonds, chocolate, and oranges. When I tested wheat dd had mucus in her poop right away so I knew that was not OK, but I'm unsure about other poop issues (consistency, colour, frequency).
Dr. Jay Gordon's site...

The Color of the Day: Solving Bowel Movement Mysteries
http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

I do not agree with this statement however:

Quote:
Babies have blood in their stool fairly often and it virtually never is the sign of serious illness,
Maybe his definition of "serious" and mine are different. He also never mentions intestinal flora which is a huge oversight. There is a huge reason why BF babies stools are described as smelling like yogurt. Oh well, he is an M.D. I guess!

P.S. realized I never said this: blood in stool "fairly often" means their gut never sealed up as it was supposed to. Huge risk for dysbiosis and food allergies and immune system problems.
#186 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 PM

hiccup!
#187 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Slightly OT, but I'm looking for lunch ideas. Seems I'm ok about menu planning for breakfast and dinner but I have a tendency to get stumped on the midday meal. Suggestions??
Soups, salads, leftovers, egg dishes, sandwiches made from the nut butter bread recipe I posted here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...60#post4679460

(homemade almond butter from blanched almonds gives most mild tasting result)

P.S. you should see that SCD Chefs thread, probably more ideas in there. I thought there was another one in that Meal Planning forum too... ?
#188 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Thanks, Jane.
Yes, we do all of those things - lots and lots of soups (we're in the process of starting a soup business) and leftovers. I enjoy salads very much, but not dd. She's not a fan of greens (unless they're in soup) at all. We also do lots of eggs, but I'm feeling bored by it all. KWIM?

That bread recipe looks awesome. I'm slightly concerned about the honey, though. Have you not had any digestive disturbances from it? I'll have to check out my dog-eared copy of NT. I have never soaked cashews...only almonds.
Anyhow, thanks for commenting.
#189 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Was just reading goodpapa's thread and also remembered Jane mentioning L.Reuteri a few posts back. . . .

I'm starting to think that my no-longer-b'feeding dd1 needs this. (She's the one with NO lactobacillus showing on her CDSA.)

Just wondering, since it isn't SCD legal (right?) if any of you mamas are using it. Jane, have you tried this w/ds?
Yes I have. DS actually used to be on this when he was bf'ing, before SCD. It really firmed up his poop then and it's doing that again now. I culture his yogurt with it added to the ProGurt. One of the links talks about it producing oxygen I think that is good for detox and killing bad bacteria? Something like that...
#190 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That bread recipe looks awesome. I'm slightly concerned about the honey, though. Have you not had any digestive disturbances from it? I'll have to check out my dog-eared copy of NT. I have never soaked cashews...only almonds.
Anyhow, thanks for commenting.
I don't use honey for the bread, just the cake version. Sorry directions are so confusing!
#191 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Erica,

Sodium ascorbate is the ph neutral form of vitamin C (buffered, NOT ester C). If you get brave, this might be worth a try. Seek out the thread of that same name and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about vit. C!
#192 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 PM

JaneS,

A few pages back you mentioned a thread called "how not to have an allergic child." I did a search and it turned up 51 pages of results. Ack!

Can you (or anyone else) point me to where to find it, or how I can narrow that search a bit?

Thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#193 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

to all you knowledgeable probiotic mamas

I am totally : about all the different strains of probiotics and what their function is, etc. I just looked up the reuteri that Jane's DS is getting and saw this:

Our Top-Selling probiotic brand Primadophilus blended with clinically proven Lactobacillus reuteri. Reuteri is one of the first strains of friendly bacteria to pass from mother to child where it rapidly colonizes and becomes an important part of the gastr ointestinal flora.

Really interesting b/c my poor lil' guy was transferred to the NICU after birth and not allowed to breastfeed for a couple of days. Not that it did anything to him or anything But I wonder if the reuteri might be the key for him.

My question, is there a website that lists a bunch of these probiotic strains?

Thanks
Amy
#194 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

#195 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM

megin,
Here's the thread.

Amy,
THis is my newest project: Learning about probiotics. I'm reading the Power of Probiotics thread (again) and got almost 1/2 hour today uninterrupted time on it (highly unusual!) and am only up to pg. 10.

There are people on there discussing the product you posted too. So far, people have talked about it but I haven't read anyone who actually bought any of the custom probiotics yet. I'll link to it if I find any info. (I am really thinking about trying some.)

Oh, if anyone wants it, here's the link to The Power of Probiotics.
#196 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
megin,
Here's the thread.

Amy,
THis is my newest project: Learning about probiotics. I'm reading the Power of Probiotics thread (again) and got almost 1/2 hour today uninterrupted time on it (highly unusual!) and am only up to pg. 10.

There are people on there discussing the product you posted too. So far, people have talked about it but I haven't read anyone who actually bought any of the custom probiotics yet. I'll link to it if I find any info. (I am really thinking about trying some.)

Oh, if anyone wants it, here's the link to The Power of Probiotics.
Thanks Annikate!

Oh, and for those wondering, I'm taking the raw milk leap. Thanks for the support yesterday!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#197 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM

Question re: Baby Jarrow:

Didn't someone a while ago post about their forumlation changing? Jane, do you remember? And did you used to use this product too? I'm thinking of trying it for dd1. (?)

Need to do some more reading though . . .
ETA: Just decided against Baby Jarrow.

Oh! and will post some more on that Transfer Factor stuff too . .. . later. Got some info. from my scientist g'friend on it and tons of links that are waaaay scientific. I need interpretation. So far it looks like there is more than 1 type of *transfer factor* in the human body.
Quote:
From an Immunology Text:
"Transfer Factor is a necleopeptide whose mode of action is undetermined but appears to stimulate the release of lymphokines from sensitized T-cells."
Maybe MT would know about this?
#198 of 861 Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 PM

My mom was trying to get me to buy some Jarrow brand stuff for my dc's..

her bottle said "Free of common allergens". Nowhere on that label did it say it contained milk products. But when i got online, everyone i looked at said it was made from milk.

I cant give my kids that! It would kill them!
#199 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 AM

A really interesting article, from an alternative site I like a lot:

http://www.alternativementalhealth.c...es/enzymes.htm
#200 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 AM

I am also educating myself about probiotics, working my way through the power of probiotics thread. L. rhamnosis, l.reuteri, and l.plantarum look especially beneficial for my yeast problem and Nolan's eczema. I am doing the SCD but am open to using different probiotics than BTVC recommends. Jane- I would like to hear your opinion on why BTVC says no bifidus.

Next batch of yogurt I am going to try goat milk to see if it makes a difference with Nolan's eczema.

I truly appreciate the honesty of all the mommas here. This healing process is challenging both physically and emotionally and it helps me to know that I am not the only one struggling through this. The first few weeks on the diet I felt like a raving maniac. I did not enjoy being around my baby and I felt so guilty to be having these feelings. The diet is also putting a strain on my marriage. DH will not read any of the literature/websites and will not take my word about leaky gut/yeast. to us all during these trying times.

We create our own reality.
#201 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 AM

hello gut healers...
i have been following this thread for some time now. thank you for all of your wonderful advice, insights and information. a bit of background: ds2 is 19mths. and has been fighting eczema and food allergies/intolerances probably since birth (i have a past history with yeast...). we started out with eliminating dairy, wheat and soy from my diet in the first few months of his life...tried probiotics (not steadily or enough of them)...have sought out more doctors, naturopaths, health gurus, etc. than i care to think of now, tried naet treatments (which i thought were a lifesaver since they worked awesome for a while...i now realize that both ds2 and i have such damaged guts that the naet was unable work for more than a short period of time, but i have hope for it for other allergies once we heal)...the whole story is way too long to type tonight.

point being: we are now trying the scd which we slide into from an elimination diet. the ed was soooo difficult for us...ds2 never actually cleared up enough to challenge any of the probable problem foods. my concerns with scd is that he cannot tolerate dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, onions, coconut, pineapple, avocado ( i know many are illegals...just giving more info as i type)...and is already not even on the 'charts' for weight. we basically eat fruits, veggies, beans and meat...i do my best to buy organic, wild caught, grass-fed. if anyone has any suggestions...i am all ears. ds2 loves veggie/fruit shakes...any ideas for adding protein to them?

is there anyone out there with a dc with a suspected milk allergy who is able to tolerate the 24hr yogurt?? we've tried raw milk (which ds1 and dh love), raw yogurt, goats milk...and although he doesn't seem to itch like with other suspected triggers, he does get bright red behind the legs, in the crooks of his arms and by day two of having small amounts his scrotum gets red and itchy (to the point where he grabs it and digs with his nails...sorry if tmi it's pretty sad to watch).

re: custom probiotics...i just placed an order for them last night...prior to educating myself about die-off and yeast, i thought ds was allergic to something in the previous probiotics (mainly the milk proteins)...i am taking the leap and spending the $$ to try these. i'll let you know how it goes. i have also ordered us some broad spectrum enzymes and digestive enzymes...hoping this will help....thanks for all the links and info regarding enzymes.

a bit off topic...l-glutamine was recommended for both ds and me by a naturopath and several others...saying it had the same basic healing power as cabbage broth (which i was drinking lots of...but trying to get ds to drink was impossible). i stopped the l-glutamine for the elimination diet (all supplements should be stopped...an integrative medicine doc said most people don't know {me included} b vitamins are typically grow on yeasty hosts...he gave other examples of hidden allergens as well)...point being i started it up again since i felt crazy about trying to help ds and i thought...hey, it's just an amino acid...nothing else...then while looking something completely different up in the dictionary...i pass glutamine...related to glutamic acid...which is obtained by hydrolysis from wheat gluten and sugar-beet residue. well, the limited testing we did do on ds showed a high (normal range was 0-20 and his was 82) count for gluten allergy. i was stunned to learn about the glutamine...sometimes i think i am soooo overwhelmed with trying to help ds heal and stay sane that i did not research this one enough. i have since taken him off the glutamine and have been strict (as i can...especially since he is not gaining weight) with scd. does anyone have any info on this...know about glutamine and gluten???

thanks for listening...i know this was a long one...i have learned my lesson...stop just reading and interject once in a while.

i appreciate all that you have offered...thank you.
peace
#202 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
P.S. realized I never said this: blood in stool "fairly often" means their gut never sealed up as it was supposed to. Huge risk for dysbiosis and food allergies and immune system problems.
DD has had blood streaked poop twice. Both times were with diarrhea and they were the last *squirts*, if you will. The first time was at 10.5 months, and the second time was a couple months after that. No diarrhea since. Is this a cause for concern?

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#203 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Erica,

Sodium ascorbate is the ph neutral form of vitamin C (buffered, NOT ester C). If you get brave, this might be worth a try. Seek out the thread of that same name and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about vit. C!
Jane, I did a search using sodium ascorbate as the key words and came up blank. Are there other key words I might be able to use to find the thread?
#204 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkamama
a bit off topic...l-glutamine was recommended for both ds and me by a naturopath and several others...saying it had the same basic healing power as cabbage broth (which i was drinking lots of...but trying to get ds to drink was impossible). i stopped the l-glutamine for the elimination diet (all supplements should be stopped...an integrative medicine doc said most people don't know {me included} b vitamins are typically grow on yeasty hosts...he gave other examples of hidden allergens as well)...point being i started it up again since i felt crazy about trying to help ds and i thought...hey, it's just an amino acid...nothing else...then while looking something completely different up in the dictionary...i pass glutamine...related to glutamic acid...which is obtained by hydrolysis from wheat gluten and sugar-beet residue. well, the limited testing we did do on ds showed a high (normal range was 0-20 and his was 82) count for gluten allergy. i was stunned to learn about the glutamine...sometimes i think i am soooo overwhelmed with trying to help ds heal and stay sane that i did not research this one enough. i have since taken him off the glutamine and have been strict (as i can...especially since he is not gaining weight) with scd. does anyone have any info on this...know about glutamine and gluten???
:
As far as I know there's no coorelation between l-glutamine and wheat and that it's recommended in most cases of leaky gut/dysbiosis/gut disease (including those caused by infections or immune-deficiency) as a tool to heal inflammation.
I went ahead and bought the Seacure and l-glutamine yesterday...I'm feeling optimistic about pairing them along with lots of probiotics.
#205 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Jane, I did a search using sodium ascorbate as the key words and came up blank. Are there other key words I might be able to use to find the thread?
Were you searching the vaccination forum? That's where it is.
#206 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Were you searching the vaccination forum? That's where it is.
I just did a general search using the search function. Doesn't that search all of the board subtopics?
#207 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 AM

Here it is. I am subscribed to it so I can find it easily under my User CP. However, before that, I could never find it either.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=353318
#208 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Hey Mamas,

I read through as much of the archived threads & the links as I could last night without finding some of the answers I need, so I thought I ought to post for help.

When my ds was about 5 mo, I took him to a kinisesiologist who put me on a candida diet- no grains, no soy, no dairy, no sugar, no fermented food. He's been doing better & is generally in good health, though I can't slip up even a tiny bit. I do eat corn, which was not specifically proscribed.

For reasons of extreme flakiness, I was never able to follow up with the kinisesiologist (he never returned calls, showed up for the follow up appt), so I am left with a number of questions.

My big one is that I am starving. I have lost about 25 lbs in 6 months, and my milk is getting very slow to come in. I eat monstrous amounts of food, but it never seems to be enough. Because it takes so long to prepare food, some days (with two kids at home) I can't manage to feed myself until lunchtime, by which time I am almost passing out. I tried digestive enzymes, but they didn't stop the weight gain, rather they just gave me explosive diarrhea. Likewise lactose free acidophilus for ds gave him horrible poops.

After reading more about candida & related diets, I also wonder whether I'm just maintaining the bacteria at a low level. Should I follow a much stricter diet than the kinisesiologist recommended? What about food combining? We eat a LOT of fruit and beans (remember I'm a veg), which seems to be a no-no on these kinds of diets....

I went to a pediatric gastroenterologist yesterday & he refused to say anything about the condition, noting that candida is not a pathology he recognizes & that if I want to treat it, I have to go the alternative medicine route. My partner suggested I try to learn more online before I go screwing around to 10,000 more specialists, so I discovered you all & the SDC diet, and so forth, but I'm still a little lost. I don't feel comfortable with self-diagnosis, and I'm not even clear that it IS candida. Would it help to get my midwife (my only trusted alternative care practitioner) to order me some tests to diagnose this all properly? Is a half a candida diet enough to clear this up? Am I going to suffer severe bone loss (like my mother says) if I don't resume eating dairy products? Do I need to find another source of probiotics?

Any ideas you all have would be very very welcome. I'm going to the kid's pediatrician this morning who is open to alternative medicine, but feels that this is all outside of her purview.
#209 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMama
Hey Mamas,

I read through as much of the archived threads & the links as I could last night without finding some of the answers I need, so I thought I ought to post for help.

When my ds was about 5 mo, I took him to a kinisesiologist who put me on a candida diet- no grains, no soy, no dairy, no sugar, no fermented food. He's been doing better & is generally in good health, though I can't slip up even a tiny bit. I do eat corn, which was not specifically proscribed.

For reasons of extreme flakiness, I was never able to follow up with the kinisesiologist (he never returned calls, showed up for the follow up appt), so I am left with a number of questions.

My big one is that I am starving. I have lost about 25 lbs in 6 months, and my milk is getting very slow to come in. I eat monstrous amounts of food, but it never seems to be enough. Because it takes so long to prepare food, some days (with two kids at home) I can't manage to feed myself until lunchtime, by which time I am almost passing out. I tried digestive enzymes, but they didn't stop the weight gain, rather they just gave me explosive diarrhea. Likewise lactose free acidophilus for ds gave him horrible poops.

After reading more about candida & related diets, I also wonder whether I'm just maintaining the bacteria at a low level. Should I follow a much stricter diet than the kinisesiologist recommended? What about food combining? We eat a LOT of fruit and beans (remember I'm a veg), which seems to be a no-no on these kinds of diets....

I went to a pediatric gastroenterologist yesterday & he refused to say anything about the condition, noting that candida is not a pathology he recognizes & that if I want to treat it, I have to go the alternative medicine route. My partner suggested I try to learn more online before I go screwing around to 10,000 more specialists, so I discovered you all & the SDC diet, and so forth, but I'm still a little lost. I don't feel comfortable with self-diagnosis, and I'm not even clear that it IS candida. Would it help to get my midwife (my only trusted alternative care practitioner) to order me some tests to diagnose this all properly? Is a half a candida diet enough to clear this up? Am I going to suffer severe bone loss (like my mother says) if I don't resume eating dairy products? Do I need to find another source of probiotics?

Any ideas you all have would be very very welcome. I'm going to the kid's pediatrician this morning who is open to alternative medicine, but feels that this is all outside of her purview.
I think you will have a very hard time clearing up candida while eating fruit, which is a big candida feeder. Beans are also very hard to digest. There is a yahoo group called candidasupport--I am following their program right now. Corn is also bad for candida sufferers. Naturally fermented foods are actually great for candida sufferers as they provide you with good bacteria. Based on what I've seen on this group, I think it is unlikely that the SCD will help you if you have candida, you need an anti-candida diet.

As far as diagnosing candida, my understanding is that there are no laboratory tests that are accurate for it. The recommended tests for diagnosing candida are the spit test and Dr. Crook's questionaire--sorry I don't have links right at the moment but you can search for them.

You can substitute homemade bone broths for dairy (don't worry, they are super easy to make). I have read that one cup of properly prepared bone broth has the same amount of calcium as 4 cups of milk. If you were drinking pasturized homogenized dairy you weren't getting much calcium out of it anyway.

I have lost some weight on the different diets I've been on. One thing that has helped on this diet is eating a ton of (healthy--coconut oil, animals fats, butter) fat. That helps fill me up and is very nourishing. I have lost 4 lbs in 6 weeks on this diet, but it was all when I had a stomach flu. I am not eating as much as I was on the SCD, either, and I am not as hungry.
#210 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMama
Hey Mamas,

Welcome...and sorry you are going through all of this as well.
You might want to seek out either a chiropractor or a acupunturist to help you to get a CDSA (comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis) but know that these tests can be pricey and aren't always accurate. It could possibly come back with information saying there isn't anything going on when in fact there is. Some practitioners recommend doing several of these tests in order to get true results. For me it only took one time (I did come back with all sorts of yeast/bacteria overgrowth and markers for leaky gut) but I've heard stories of people with obvious issues having results that don't show any problems.

There are different tests that other people might be able to recommend as well, but I only have experience with the CDSA (and the last I heard it was the gold standard to determine how your gut is functioning).

As for you being starving all the time, you might want to consider a supplement I just picked up. It's called Seacure and it's packed with large amounts of protein and essential fatty acids. Aside from supporting the gastrointestinal tract it also provides nutrition as it was originally developed in response to the protein needs of malnourished infants and expectant mothers in third-world countries.

And, I know this is a sticky subject for most people and being that I used to be a vegetarian I can empathize...but is there any chance you would consider adding animal products to your diet? When I began my healing myself back in the day I was macrobiotic and found that I was losing weight way too fast and was always starving. I began studying other diets (most importantly Weston Price/Nourishing Traditions) and realized, despite my stance on eating meat I wasn't doing what was best for my body. It was a long process to get from there to where I was comfortable with cooking meat but I was amazed at the changes once I added those foods back into my diet. I apologize if this offends you...just sharing my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page