Forum Jump: 

#241 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
It is very dirt like, isn't it.

I just started reading the POP thread (again) and from what I understood, I could use PD w/my starter, no? And I am definately going to pick up some Reuteri when I can afford it How are DS's poops doing since the reuteri? Anything new?
I don't know re: PD as starter, b/c those are not dairy probiotics. Experiment with a small amount and see how it goes.

As an aside: Do Not Get www.cheesemaking.com Kefir Powder!

Doesn't work! I have full half gallon of sour raw goat's milk that I don't know what I'm going to do with. Back to expensive BED kefir powder.

DS's poops horrendous right now due to stool testing and being off enzymes etc. They were great before though due to L. Reuteri as that was the only thing I had added for a month.
#242 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM

as i heat my raw milk, can i use an instant read meat thermometer to get the temp of the water? i bought a small one today hoping to use it. got my oven thermometer too, so now i need to see how well my oven light works. mason jars tomorrow..........this should be fun!

thanks!
megin

oh -- one more question: DS OD'd on eggs the past few days. He's mildly allergic but the symptoms definitely kicked in for the first time because of the eggs. His behavior today was crazy crazy crazy. I upped the Vitamin C a lot. He's of course off eggs for a bit, what else should I do to help "detox" him at this point?

Thanks again!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#243 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Hey, speaking of the Reuteri . . .
CAn I use Stonyfield to culture my yogurt? Would that give enough reuteri or do I need to buy a supp too?
<------------------I've been using this smilie an awful lot lately.
Maybe but it's got other things in there too.
#244 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
my kids were ebf forever...

even when i was avoiding all allegens with dd, and trying to find all the allergens with ds, only in the first week or two of life did their yellow breastmilk poop have the little curds in it.

i heard something about this...that they were lacking something maybe?? Why would my babies have profuse normal looking yellow breastmilk poop with no curds?
I thought curds correlating with enough fats in BM?
#245 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl
as i heat my raw milk, can i use an instant read meat thermometer to get the temp of the water? i bought a small one today hoping to use it. got my oven thermometer too, so now i need to see how well my oven light works. mason jars tomorrow..........this should be fun!

thanks!
megin

oh -- one more question: DS OD'd on eggs the past few days. He's mildly allergic but the symptoms definitely kicked in for the first time because of the eggs. His behavior today was crazy crazy crazy. I upped the Vitamin C a lot. He's of course off eggs for a bit, what else should I do to help "detox" him at this point?

Thanks again!
Yes re: thermometer

UGH re: eggs
This might be a sulfur processing issue. I don't understand it but you might want to look into it at some point. Does he have a similar reaction to broccoli?
#246 of 861 Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi All

I just wanted to say thanks for letting me vent. Im feeling quite better the last two days. For one, Ive started studying recipes, which has made me feel less caged, and I think the spoonfuls of coconut oil are catching up to my metabolism - that is, I dont feel starved anymore, so my brain is present and I can physically keep up (keep on top of) my kids. I actually feel energetic and relatively peaceful. We'll see how long this phase lasts

I stumbled on a recipe idea after reading about pureed cauliflower as mashed potatoes. Im soo sick of eggs for breakfast, so today I steamed several pounds of cauliflower, pureed a batch, and scooped some into a bowl with butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, stevia, and a touch of vanilla Cauliflower oatmeal! Then I served some caul. mash with parsely and cinn. and coconut oil with dinner and the fam gobbled it up. "I cant believe its cauliflower" - Dh. Im going to try cauliflower pancakes, and cauliflower muffins I told Dh Im going to write The Caulifower Cookbook I also had enough energy to go to the gym today which has not happened in weeks, and that was a huge relief. I need my exercise, and felt good to get that part of myself back.

Questions:
~What is the deal with enzymes? I mean, I know what they do, but why do you take them/are you so obsessed with them? B/c they help you digest so you dont have food rotting in your gut, contributing to yeast, constipation/diarhea, permeability, etc? I have always had very consistent, step 3 or 4 poops (see how good Im getting ) so am not sure I see the point. The only ones Im interested in are the nes that claim to digest yeast, and these Im not sure I believe (you?)

~Tomato paste; talk to me. Ive been using it as a ketchup sub, but its got 6 g carbs/3 g sugar per 2 tblsp, despite it being *just* pureed tomatoes. Is this *legal* on the anti-candida diet, anyone know?

~Vanillla extract - many are made with alcohol, and alcohol is a no-no. The one I have does not list ingredients, but I know its *real* vanilla. Should I just buy the bean (ugh)?

~Last but not least, TTC. Im trying to figure out how to work this in. Now that I feel my sanity returning, and can imagine how this life will work, and actually feel energized, Im starting to jones. I dont know if getting preg while detoxing candida is a good idea, yet I could be detoxing for the next year, right? What should my guidepost[s] be? We would start next month if I had my way. How have those of you who ttc after finding this way of life (as it were) decided when?

Thanks again mamas!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#247 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 AM

Mamas, I need you guidance once again.

I've been on SCD for over a month now. I had a minor set-back a couple of weeks ago, since I wasn't paying as much attention to my flautlence/stools (still charted) because of a terrible back pain. That got resolved from playing a lot of soccer with my DD's 4-1/2 year old friend!

Since then, I've gone back to a very basic intro. type diet. my flatulence went away. Sadly, my lucky streak didn't continue for long, but I don't have exact dates and clue to causes since every time I feel really ill, I stop charting as reliably

My sleeplessness persists (where I feel I have to be at exhausion in order to sleep; my brain doesn't stop). My real concern however is from about a few days ago, I started getting these dull headaches. Today I have had one ALL DAY

It's terrible, and I'm losing heart. I want this all to work so badly, and I know when things start seeming worse, I get more stressed which in turn worsens things... Argh! I'm starting to really believe whatever it is that's wrong with me is much bigger than I thought. It just sounds so negative though, and I want to draw more positivity in to my life, but how the hell do I do that when my head hurts all the time?!

/rant
#248 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 AM

RE: Natural Calm

I bought some about a few weeks ago, and been taking it regularly. I don't think it's doing much for me (at least sleep-wise). The producers say to take the Cal/Mag instead in such a situation.

Well, I have this huge bottle of the Mag., so I'd rather just add Cal. to the drink when I take it. Does anyone know of a resonable way in which I can do this?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
#249 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 01:16 AM

Ok, dd woke up from her nap with reddish, purple arround both eyes, and puffy. At that point she had eaten some sausage (sheltons breakfast sausages, we eat them fairly regularly), lots of cheese, carrots, a slice of the cashew bread w/ butter, one drop of goldenseal root tincture (it tastes aweful but she insisted she had to try it. ) and several drops of echenacea tincture. As well as her normal clo and enzymes. I don't think she had anything else. After we got up she had about 1/4 of a grapefruit, but I think the eyes were like that before the grapefruit. She was also really a mess after having a really good morning and took forever to really wake up from her nap and not be cranky and clingy.

Thoughts? This seems like an allergic reaction but to what?

Oh and I also rubbed Lapacho FG blend diluted with almond oil into her belly before nap. I did my own belly too and I think it cleared up my ears at least for a while.

I know those red eyes are classic for something but I'm drawing a blank on what.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#250 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 AM

This is a really long thread and I'm too tired to read it all, but I still felt compelled to write something. I recently discovered my daughter's diaper rashes were caused because she is allergic to yogurt. Which is not at all what I would have thought because I know yogurt contains beneficial bacteria. She seems to not be the norm. I haven't found that she is allergic to any other foods.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#251 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok, dd woke up from her nap with reddish, purple arround both eyes, and puffy. At that point she had eaten some sausage (sheltons breakfast sausages, we eat them fairly regularly), lots of cheese, carrots, a slice of the cashew bread w/ butter, one drop of goldenseal root tincture (it tastes aweful but she insisted she had to try it. ) and several drops of echenacea tincture. As well as her normal clo and enzymes. I don't think she had anything else. After we got up she had about 1/4 of a grapefruit, but I think the eyes were like that before the grapefruit. She was also really a mess after having a really good morning and took forever to really wake up from her nap and not be cranky and clingy.
Has she had the 2 tinctures before? I react to most tinctures because they are in grain alcohol--gluten. Does she react to gluten?
#252 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Banned

subbing
#253 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I don't know re: PD as starter, b/c those are not dairy probiotics. Experiment with a small amount and see how it goes.

As an aside: Do Not Get www.cheesemaking.com Kefir Powder!

Doesn't work! I have full half gallon of sour raw goat's milk that I don't know what I'm going to do with. Back to expensive BED kefir powder.
Have you tried using traditional kefir *grains* - meaning the ones that are not powdered but are the actual knubby little things that create kefir?? You can get them for free if you know someone who has them (I do!) because they multiply like mogwais.
#254 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 10:27 AM

anyone done this? I want to make yogurt from raw goat milk and am hoping to use existing goat yogurt as a starter. Anyone done this? Should I just proceed as per the SCD recipe with one cup of yogurt for about a liter of goat milk?

Thanks!
megin

ps -- I know it will be a bit runny as all the goat yogurt I've ever found is a bit runny..........

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#255 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl
anyone done this? I want to make yogurt from raw goat milk and am hoping to use existing goat yogurt as a starter. Anyone done this? Should I just proceed as per the SCD recipe with one cup of yogurt for about a liter of goat milk?

Thanks!
megin

ps -- I know it will be a bit runny as all the goat yogurt I've ever found is a bit runny..........
You are not supposed to do this. From what I read, Elaine is concerned that the yogurt you are using as a starter, maybe it got too hot or not hot enough and there isn't enough probiotics, or that it got contaminated w/yucky bacteria.

That said, I've done it, BUT, I've also been on the diet 4 months. AND I think I have a blah batch of yogurt this time, so I'm not going to do it again. Not worth wasting all that milk Although, I am now able to drain it and make some of that absolutely freakin' delicious cheesecake, so maybe I had ulterior motives
#256 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Has she had the 2 tinctures before? I react to most tinctures because they are in grain alcohol--gluten. Does she react to gluten?
Yup. You got it. I think she and I have celiacs. Crap. More wasted money.:

our family is <>< and :
#257 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup. You got it. I think she and I have celiacs. Crap. More wasted money.:
I'm sorry. I'm sure you can get some $ on the TP though, no?
#258 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Okay, thinking about probiotics here . . .
SCDers are not supposed to have bifidus right? Does the bifidus get killed in the process of making the 24 hour yogurt or is it that we don't get any bifidus because of the starters we use?

I am wondering out loud here if bifidus would be a good thing for my little dd.

Pretty convinced that I'm going to try reuteri for dd1. Now I just have to figure out what brand/kind to buy and HOW to use it. : Thinking about getting capsules to break apart and sprinkling it in her already-made 24 hour yogurt. Does that sound reasonable?
#259 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Why not culture the reuteri w/the other starter? That's what I'm thinking of doing. That way I'll have a very healthy colony of reuteri--and it will be more cost effective.

I was reading about bifidus and evidentally (and I might not be remembering correctly), but it has a tendency to overgrow & in a place you don't want it to grow. Its supposed to go in the large intestine or somewhere and overgrows before it gets there.
#260 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 PM

So anyone have a good gf playdoh recipe???

our family is <>< and :
#261 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So anyone have a good gf playdoh recipe???
This is so funny 'cause dh & I were just talking about this the other night. O haven't searched yey but wlyk if I find one. I know I've seen them . . .(maybe on gf/cf kids?)
#262 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Why not culture the reuteri w/the other starter? That's what I'm thinking of doing. That way I'll have a very healthy colony of reuteri--and it will be more cost effective.

I was reading about bifidus and evidentally (and I might not be remembering correctly), but it has a tendency to overgrow & in a place you don't want it to grow. Its supposed to go in the large intestine or somewhere and overgrows before it gets there.
I dunno, my intuition tells me that it'd be good for dd1 but not so sure about dd2 and they both drink the same batch.
#263 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Hi All

I just wanted to say thanks for letting me vent. Im feeling quite better the last two days. For one, Ive started studying recipes, which has made me feel less caged, and I think the spoonfuls of coconut oil are catching up to my metabolism - that is, I dont feel starved anymore, so my brain is present and I can physically keep up (keep on top of) my kids. I actually feel energetic and relatively peaceful. We'll see how long this phase lasts

I stumbled on a recipe idea after reading about pureed cauliflower as mashed potatoes. Im soo sick of eggs for breakfast, so today I steamed several pounds of cauliflower, pureed a batch, and scooped some into a bowl with butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, stevia, and a touch of vanilla Cauliflower oatmeal! Then I served some caul. mash with parsely and cinn. and coconut oil with dinner and the fam gobbled it up. "I cant believe its cauliflower" - Dh. Im going to try cauliflower pancakes, and cauliflower muffins I told Dh Im going to write The Caulifower Cookbook I also had enough energy to go to the gym today which has not happened in weeks, and that was a huge relief. I need my exercise, and felt good to get that part of myself back.

Questions:
~What is the deal with enzymes? I mean, I know what they do, but why do you take them/are you so obsessed with them? B/c they help you digest so you dont have food rotting in your gut, contributing to yeast, constipation/diarhea, permeability, etc? I have always had very consistent, step 3 or 4 poops (see how good Im getting ) so am not sure I see the point. The only ones Im interested in are the nes that claim to digest yeast, and these Im not sure I believe (you?)

~Tomato paste; talk to me. Ive been using it as a ketchup sub, but its got 6 g carbs/3 g sugar per 2 tblsp, despite it being *just* pureed tomatoes. Is this *legal* on the anti-candida diet, anyone know?

~Vanillla extract - many are made with alcohol, and alcohol is a no-no. The one I have does not list ingredients, but I know its *real* vanilla. Should I just buy the bean (ugh)?

~Last but not least, TTC. Im trying to figure out how to work this in. Now that I feel my sanity returning, and can imagine how this life will work, and actually feel energized, Im starting to jones. I dont know if getting preg while detoxing candida is a good idea, yet I could be detoxing for the next year, right? What should my guidepost[s] be? We would start next month if I had my way. How have those of you who ttc after finding this way of life (as it were) decided when?

Thanks again mamas!!
Glad you're feeling better

Tomato paste--at least on my anti-candida diet tomato products are allowed. I think the paste just has a fair amount of carbs because it's sort of concentrated.

Vanilla--I personally wouldn't worry about the alcohol in it. It's such a tiny amount I don't think it's a big deal unless you're going through massive amounts of vanilla.

Yeast killing enzymes--I guess I would say I believe they can work because I know they have worked to kill yeast for other people. But I haven't tried them yet myself so I can't say from personal experience.
#264 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Just thought you'd all like to know...firefaery's back! (Saw a post from her today in the nutrition forum.)
#265 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Very interesting! Nice to see how, how are you and your little?

EBG,

This mentions thyroid glandular, maybe that is something you can look into?
http://www.drrons.com/organic-organs-glands.htm
have you ever tracked your AM temps?
When I was ttc, and it was always around 97 ish. I know I have a low body temp, I'm alsoa lwys cold- cold hands and feet, has aways had it since I can remember, I thought it was genetic as my Mom has the same. But she also knows she has hypothyroidism. She thinks iopdized salt is the cure.
I was tested for thyroid a few years ago and everything was fine then.

But since then I've learned about candida and I suspect my thyroid issue, if I have it, is just caused by candida. BTW, I got my period, so that's good. I'm still losing a ton of hair. My eczema is calming down. I can see now that it was related to hormones - it got worse after ovulation and started calming down when AF came. So why does candida like progesterone?
I wonder if I'll ever be able to get rid of it. I mean the yeast. Oh it turns out, I also have tinea versicolor (another fungus - white spots on my arms that don't tan). One more fungus added to the pot.
I've been putting garlic juice, TTO and vinegar (as per candidasuport) on my skin but have not seen any change.
On another site I read that epsom salts encourage the growth of tinea fungi and I wonder if it's true, as I've been using ES baths lately and I do have this tinea guy. Any thoughts on this?
Anybody know about tinea versicolor and how to get rid of it?

Since I'm not bf-ing, and the candidasupport recommends it, I think I'll try OOO (orally and also topically)when I get hold of some $$. It's hard to come by these days...
#266 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
from Microbiol Immunol. 1995;39(6):405-9.

Suppression of anti-Candida activity of murine neutrophils by progesterone in vitro: a possible mechanism in pregnant women's vulnerability to vaginal candidiasis.

Nohmi T, Abe S, Dobashi K, Tansho S, Yamaguchi H.

Sex steroid hormones were examined for their effect on mycelial growth of Candida albicans, and the inhibitory activity of casein-induced murine peritoneal neutrophils against mycelial growth of C. albicans was examined in vitro using a crystal violet staining method or a [3H]glucose incorporation method. Four steroid hormones, danazol, estradiol, estriol and testosterone had no effect on mycelial growth of C. albicans, but progesterone appeared to convert the growth form of C. albicans from hyphal to yeast. Danazol (10(-6) M) and progesterone (10(-5) M) suppressed anti-Candida activity of neutrophils of non-treated mice, while testosterone, estradiol, and estriol did not. The anti-Candida activity of neutrophils of estradiol-pretreated mice was clearly suppressed by progesterone even at 10(-6) M which corresponded to its plasma concentration in pregnant women in the third trimester. The physiological significance of this suppressive effect of progesterone was discussed in relation to the vulnerability of pregnant women to vaginal candidiasis.

unfortunately, i don't have access to the full article, so i can't tell you HOW they discussed it.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#267 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 PM

http://iai.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/2/651

Effects of Reproductive Hormones on Experimental Vaginal Candidiasis
Paul L. Fidel Jr.,* Jessica Cutright, and Chad Steele

Vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC) is an opportunistic mucosal infection caused by Candida albicans that affects large numbers of otherwise healthy women of childbearing age. Acute episodes of VVC often occur during pregnancy and during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle, when levels of progesterone and estrogen are elevated. Although estrogen-dependent experimental rodent models of C. albicans vaginal infection are used for many applications, the role of reproductive hormones and/or their limits in the acquisition of vaginal candidiasis remain unclear. This study examined the effects of estrogen and progesterone on several aspects of an experimental infection together with relative cell-mediated immune responses. Results showed that while decreasing estrogen concentrations eventually influenced infection-induced vaginal titers of C. albicans and rates of infection in inoculated animals, the experimental infection could not be achieved in mice treated with various concentrations of progesterone alone. Furthermore, progesterone had no effect on (i) the induction and persistence of the infection in the presence of estrogen, (ii) delayed-type hypersensitivity in primary-infected mice, or (iii) the partial protection from a secondary vaginal infection under pseudoestrus conditions. Other results with estrogen showed that a persistent infection could be established with a wide range of C. albicans inocula under supraphysiologic and near-physiologic (at estrus) concentrations of estrogen and that vaginal fungus titers or rates of infection were similar if pseudoestrus was initiated several days before or after inoculation. However, the pseudoestrus state had to be maintained for the infection to persist. Finally, estrogen was found to reduce the ability of vaginal epithelial cells to inhibit the growth of C. albicans. These results suggest that estrogen, but not progesterone, is an important factor in hormone-associated susceptibility to C. albicans vaginitis.

#268 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
EBG

Thanks, Bluets.
So what can we do about it? If they (prog&est.)always convert / encourage candida then all of my efforts of reversing it during the non-elevated cycle is in vain. I'm working so hard at killing the yeast and then boom, the hormones mess it up. This is also a vicious cycle.:
I don't see the light int eh tunnel yet...
#269 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 06:31 PM

gotta be quick as i have to pack up and leave to get ds from daycare...

EBG: if your cycles are regular and you are charting, i would just assume that you'll be stricken so prepare for it. could you not try reverting to anti-candida foods just before the onset of hormonal shifts? i'd try it and report back but i don't have cycles yet.

#270 of 861 Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Have you tried using traditional kefir *grains* - meaning the ones that are not powdered but are the actual knubby little things that create kefir?? You can get them for free if you know someone who has them (I do!) because they multiply like mogwais.
Yep, I have some sitting in back of my fridge now that are probably dead!

I'm doing water grains and kombucha too right now, I spend a lot of time babysitting "knubby things"

They just require so much work and plus have the "ick" factor sometimes. But thank you for offering.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page