moms of asthmatic children, what do you use for meds/treatments? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-21-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering what other parents of kids with asthma use for meds/treatments? this is new to us, as my 21/2 year old was just dx'ed last winter. we started "pulmicort" respules (in the neb 1once a day) this past dec. this was after trying every herbal, homeopthic, dietary etc therapy i knew of, AND after seeing a naturopath who said my son's wheeze was "just teething".... some of these things took the edge off his troubles, but nothing truly worked. the pulmicort has made a huge difference for him. he can handle a cold now without wheezing or a trip to the doctor (we LIVED there last winter). but of course i worry about the steriod. i am hoping and assuming and was told that since it is inhaled rather than taken systemically, it does not have as serious implications as prednisone et al. but i know it is not to be taken lightly either. we are watching him carefully. meds are not always easy to decide about, but boy it is great to see him running around without that cough... we even got thru croup this winter!

i will say that taking dairy out of his diet has also made a difference (he didn't eat much to begin with, but we took it ALL out!)

any thoughts from parents who have been through it? whew, bless you all, it has been a long and wild ride. PEACE and LOVE, trite as it sounds, put as much out as you can. thanks! laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-22-2003, 12:13 AM

marshmallow for a bit
He builds a tolerance to stuff fast though

Ok my 16 yr old uses Singulair
Flonase
Albuterol as needed
the singulair keeps the other from being needed

my 6 yr old takes singulair and is now off pulmicort
albuterol and cromlyn sodium as needed when attacks happen
We spent a week in the hospital two years ago and the singulair has been wonderful..
It is a leukotine blocker as opposed to a steroid...
#3 of 14 Old 03-22-2003, 09:22 AM

well, my dd is not asthmatic...but i am!

i first showed signs of asthma in 7th grade. my father is a pulminary physician, so he gave me albuterol inhalers. i NEVER liked them. they made my lungs feel better, but left an awful taste in my mouth and throat...and left my whole body feeling shaky.

so, for most of my young adult life, i didn't take anything. not the SMARTEST thing, but i did learn to really know my body, my lungs, my illness...and can tell long before an attack would ever happen that i needed to focus on breathing, resting, etc.

this zen method of treatement couldn't last forever though. a few years ago, i had a near attack and went in for more tests. my asthma had gotten worse. i now take singulair...and LOVE it. it is a b class drug, and i believe it is safe for children as young as 1 or 2. i rarely need an inhaler (i still have albuterol and also have pulmicort).

other things is have done to help; we bought a hepa vacuum instead of getting rid of our pets. we no longer sweep, as it sends all sort of dander into the air. oh, and i like to use rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils in the winter when my asthma is the most sensitive.

best of luck!

#4 of 14 Old 03-22-2003, 12:01 PM

My ds was diagnosed about the same time as your little one.

He is now 6 1/2 yo and we've done the following:

allergy proof his room w/special mattress/comforter/pillow covers, limited the # of stuffed animals in his room and clean/wash constantly. He did see a DC and had some NAET treatments. His asthma is allergy related, so we thought this might help. He still sees another DC and gets chiro. adjustments once a month. Takes Singulair daily, as well as fish oil and we do albuterol as needed.

I have noticed when there is a change in weather, his asthma flares up. I think this is related to his mold allergy (and we live in the Northwest!)

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 14 Old 03-22-2003, 12:47 PM

We do try to keep things as allergy free as possible around the house, eliminated dairy, and daily Singulaire keeps most attacks away, when she does have one we use albuterol in the nebulizer.
#6 of 14 Old 03-22-2003, 01:45 PM

My 2 year old was on Pulmicort and albuterol (inhaled) for his first winter, and then we added Singulair his 2nd winter and decreased the dosage of the Pulmicort. This winter, he got through with no asthma meds, and no serious episodes. It seemed like a major miracle. His first winter with no bronchitus, not pnemonia, no wheezing. The only thing we used was an occasional dose of Claritin. I think he will need that more often -- since spring has sprung, he is coughing a bit more.

I know the decisions about meds are really hard to make. Thinking it through, and dealing with the coughing/wheezing really tore me apart. Ds had to take 2 rounds of oral steroids that first winter before we finally settled on the inhaled pulmicort as a preventative measure. The side-effects of the pulmicort over a one year period are significantly lower than the risks of ONE 5 day course of oral steroids.
#7 of 14 Old 03-23-2003, 01:58 AM

a hepa vacuum
and I steam clean the carpet every two weeks..
#8 of 14 Old 03-23-2003, 02:29 AM

can I ask a question of those who are familiar with singulaire use - is it for mild or episodic asthma? that's what the drug info states and I've been curious about trying it for my ds but he has moderately severe chronic asthma. He is on a high dose of inhaled steroid and a long acting bronchodilator but has pretty poor lung function on spirometry tests and I'd love to find something else he could use
#9 of 14 Old 03-23-2003, 10:50 AM

emmaline -- our ds was not getting through a night without waking up in uncontrolably nighttime coughing fits, and he could not run around and play without wheezing. (I don't know how severe his asthma was rated, but just to give you an idea.) After 2 weeks on Singulair we noticed a drastic difference in the nighttime coughing, and we were able to cut the Pulmicort dose in half.

Like I said though, he has been off of the Pulmicort since last June, and off of the singulair since July. And free of symptoms. So maybe his problems were not all that severe. They certainly went away beautifully after he was 2. I don't know. (It seemed severe to us.)
#10 of 14 Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 PM

thanks mamduck - sounds like my ds 10 yrs ago! and not mild or episodic - it's great he's off meds now

I'm going to talk to our ped this week about singulair (again)
#11 of 14 Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 AM

My 5 1/2 yr old gets a cough when sick which Dr claims is wheezing. So we start Flovent for 10 days. I notice this with almost every cold and I am beginning to think possible allergies as well.

We have a peak flo meter and don't use albuterol unless he is in a yellow zone. I know Flovent is an inhaled steroid. Does anyone know of a different milder solution. I am wondering about a preventitive that is non steroidal? Or is Flovent a good choice for a kid with mild, occasional asthma?
#12 of 14 Old 05-20-2003, 02:12 AM

we used a nonsteroidal preventer for a few years - Intal or sodium cromoglycate (I think), it worked well until an especially bad patch when ds was hospitalised then he swithched to inhaled steroid and hasn't been in hosp since(maybe 5 yrs)

sorry haven't come across flovent
#13 of 14 Old 05-20-2003, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i started an asthma thread a month or so back and got a couple responses and read the other threads. ds#1 has had asthma since 1 year or so when he had pneumonia and was hospitalized. he kept having er trips and lots of coughs and stuff. he was on prelone WAY too much and he took zyrtec from age two exactly as well as albuterol as needed. He took singulair staring when he was just over two and a half. They seemed to work OKAY but he kept getting URI and ear infections and pink eye. we were sick of it. mold mildews and season changes set him off. we finally moved to arizona (it is 103 here...uggh) and he is off all meds but only VERY Occassional zyrtec when we will be near animals.
BUT when we moved here ds#3 who was a month old nursling took us by surprise. at 4 months he ended up hospitalized with wheezing and retraction (no fever or anything) and six weeks later he was hospitalized AGAIN...both for a couple of days. They RARELY say a BABY has allergy-induced asthma but he does. SOOOOO I DID NOT want to DOPE him up....after all that's why we moved here. The doctor suggested PULMICORT (she thinks singulair is not very helpful...although it seemed to help us). he now takes pulmicort once daily by nebulizer...he is seven months old and has gone almost two months without hospital incident or any concerns (except a recent stomach flu). I read in an MDC thread that a year's worth of pulmicort (twice daily) has LESS NEGATIVE side effects than ONE week's treatment of prelone. I am now convinced and it is working. Meanwhile we ARE NOT introducing solids AT ALL now. We are vegans, but i certainly would not do dairy. good luck SORRY THIS IS SO LONG
#14 of 14 Old 05-20-2003, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all you wonderfull mamas! it is scary to be the mom of an asthmatic child, especially in that first year for me when i was reeling from the diagnosis and then studying hard to decide what the hell to do about it without overdrugging my baby boy... i too have come to the conclusion that it is unwise to completely forego meds. obviously because asthma can be life threatening, and also because repeated attacks over several years can cause permanent lung damage. we have had such good results with pulmicort, and my son is at the point where we do it just 5 days a week once a day for maintenance. if a cold flares up, we go to doing it twice a day for a few days, with a shot of xopenex to keep him open if he sounds tight. we have had no side effects in 6 months time, aside from one round of thrush (that i caught b/c i am still nursing, yeowch!). though it seems dubious to be using any sort of steroid, it sure beats those days where every little cold led to coughing and wheezing... my son has no allergies, but we do have a nice hepa vac and do all the precautionary cleaning steps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page