The Thyroid Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#301 of 1015 Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if it's possible if you can still have adrenal fatigue and your cortisol level still be within normal range?

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#302 of 1015 Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Has anyone else had problems post-preg?
For those that are having hypo-like symptoms after a pregnancy & during lactation, IMHO I would first give your body time to recover...balance hormone levels, maintain adequate vitamin and mineral intake, support your immune functioning.

A post-partum body has been through a lot of stress and will continue to do so while lactating and once again beginning menses (not to mention psychological stress which is a factor in thyroid functioning).

Based on my research and experience since having pp problems (starting almost 2 yrs ago and being tested to show low-functioning thyroid and Hashimoto's), I have found several things to help get me back in balance and feeling sooooo much better. I had most of the typical hypo symptoms and now most are completely gone (except when going thru a highly stressful time when I am not taking proper care of myself).

I am not entirely sure which choices I made in my own care led me to feeling better. Was it one or a combination? I can only tell you what I did.

1) I read A LOT about thyroid conditions, hormone imbalances, vitamin/mineral deficiencies...
2) I take supplemental iodine (Iodoral)
3) I take supplemental selenium with the iodine
4) I take a food-based prenatal every morning (Rainbow Lt. ONE)
5) Cod-liver oil every day
6) Evening Primrose Oil every evening
7) Vitex (chasteberry) tincture 3x week...more around time of period (would take it more but I hate the taste of the alcohol base)

I feel that, *for me*, taking a more holistic approach--getting to the route of the problem, ie: be it a copper, vitamin D, or iodine deficiency, is better than just replacing hormones synthetically and being stuck doing that for life. I want my body to get back in gear, not shut down certain functions because I am replacing it's job with synthetic hormones.

It seems like thyroid problems are so prevelent in child-bearing women these days. Women that should otherwise be healthy. Why is this? Not a rhetorical question. I really wonder.

My first instinct with any health issue is to look at it from a nutritional standpoint. Hence, the nutritional changes I have made (more of a traditional food diet plus the supplements listed above) which have seemed to have gotten me back to *my* normal. I have lost about 15 lbs in last three months, I have an immense amount of energy again (no need for naps, too), mood swings/depression gone, not waking in early morning (except to nurse), no anxiety attacks. These are big changes...many little ones, too.

So, that's my 2 cents. Just thought there is room here for another perspective, one that doesn't include just dosing with Armour or Synthroid.

Peace.

PS. If you haven't already, go to previous page and read JaneS's post. My recent change in health is proof of what she has also come across in her research. It is a common sense approach. I would bet money I am no longer hypo or Hashi. When I have the money I may test again for poops-n-giggles. I'll let ya know *those* results.
#303 of 1015 Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM

HI mamas!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 10. I've been on Synthroid for the past 17 years until last month when I asked my dr about switching to Armour. I was on 200mcg of synthroid, but still had a lot of the symptoms and felt like crap. She said with my last tests that my T3 did come back low, so put me on 2 grains of Armour (or the generic actually, though I didn't realize it when they filled my script). Within two weeks I felt so much better and even dh has noticed the difference. I still have a few lingering issues, that I think might be helped with further supplementation.

1) My B12 was low, and I was prescribed shots, but I cannot bring myself to do them, and cannot trek to the clinic every week for them. I've had two shots when I've been there for other stuff, and take a liquid B12.

2) My youngest has been diagnosed with Vit D deficiency and we are completely puzzled since he is caucasian and we live in Tennessee - so he gets plenty of sun exposure, and I was pg through the summer, so I got plenty of exposure then too. His stores were immeasureable. We got to this point b/c he was having seizures in Feb, said it was febrile and sent us home, a month later more seizures, back to ER was low calcium, 5 day hospital stay, they assumed Vit D def, tests came back normal, retested a month ago, and Vit D was immeasureable. Found out they tested the wrong kind of Vit D and prescribed the wrong supplement. So we're seeing a ped endo and have been doing vit D therapy for a month. Endo has no explanation other than I didn't have enough Vit D to give him and then b/c he was breastfed and I didn't give him vitamins... we think it may be more of a genetic disorder/hormone related... but we have to wait and see how he responds to the treatment. SO - after reading JaneS post - I wonder if maybe I did not have enough Vit D afterall... I was nursing through pg and tandem nursing too, not sure if that could have added to it all. My parathyroid levels were normal when I asked that they be tested last month, and that is supposed to indicate that your Vit D is normal.

So maybe I need to add Cod Liver Oil to my supplements and that will help...

Maybe I should look into iodine and selenium too?

Any opinions?

ETA: I still have my suspicions that we are dealing with a genetic disorder, since my grandmother, father, and I all have similar symptoms - and now Ds... we were learning towards pseudohypoparathyroidism... it would just make sense if I've had these problems since before puberty, and my toddler has them now...kwim?

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#304 of 1015 Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Just wanted to get subbed to this thread. I've read through the first 8 pages, but don't have time to read the rest right now.

My ob/gyn found a nodule/goiter during an exam last summer (about 6 months after my youngest was born). I had not even noticed it. I saw an endo a few times and absolutely hated him. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid (all my symptoms were hypo symptoms though) and decided to wait things out a bit to see if my levels evened out or if I went to hypothyroid. The endo was insistent that I was going to end up hypo and informed me he would be putting me on medication. My levels ever since last November have been normal though and I never did go hypo. I finally had enough of the endo and have just been seeing my pcp, who has been checking my levels about every 3 months. I still have the nodule/goiter though and the pcp is insisting that when ds2 stops nursing that I need to have a radioactive iodine scan done. I am not comfortable with that and am going to insist on an ultrasound assisted needle biopsy when the time comes (although I am not thrilled about that either - I HATE needles).
#305 of 1015 Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM

I was just diagnosed yesterday. Finally. All other docs were telling me I was fine. I finally saw a naturopath and he said there are lots of things wrong with me, but that everything is within normal range so most doctors would say I'm fine when I'm really not.

My thryoid levels, T3 I think, is low. He put me on a low dose of Armour. Anyone else on that? I wonder how much my dose will have to be changed? I wonder how fast it will work?? I just took my first dose an hour ago! That pill is so tiny!

My hormones are also screwed up. I am estrogen dominant, with very low progesterone. And I'm low on iron too. This is all in addition to Adrenal Fatigue. NO WONDER I FEEL LIKE CRAP!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#306 of 1015 Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM

did ur naturopath diagnose hypo based on labs or symptoms?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#307 of 1015 Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible if you can still have adrenal fatigue and your cortisol level still be within normal range?
I think I answered this on the AF thread...YES, the cortisol levels can *appear* to be in range IF you go by blood work. A saliva test is what you need to diagnose adrenal fatigue - one that tests the saliva 4 times throughout the day. Diagnos-Techs has a great ASI.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#308 of 1015 Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
Every single one of those symptoms are Hypo and/or adrenal fatigue

Nausea and complete exhaustion are symptoms of adrenal fatigue.

Do you have shaking too?

I bet you have trouble sleeping at night? Either can't fall asleep or wake up and can't go back to sleep?
My adrenal doc (95% of his patients are adrenal patients) says that the thyroid is *always* affected in adrenal fatigue - even if it doesn't show up in test results. Once you heal the adrenals, the thyroid should get back to normal.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#309 of 1015 Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 PM

well i just recently joined/did an intro here and found this thread. I was Dxed Hypo Oct of 2002 after having pre-natal blood work for my second pregnancy... i never knew until they did that first visit blood workup. Until then i had apparently been self-medicating on sugar and caffine (we're talking OBSENSE(sp?) amount of caffine 2-3 20oz cappuccinos up to 2 liter of diet soda a day). I had my dosage adjusted about 6 months after she was born... and i have since had anotehr children (who turned 1 last week) and i know i have just been putting off going ot see my Dr about a dosage adjustment. Most days i can bearly function, often napping in the am while the baby does - though now that school is out that wont work (actually i call it more like a coma - saince DH said it would easier to wake the dead)!! Since i'm still nursing ds - i have found in the recent last month or 2 how it's been effecting my milk supply (and we really are not ready to wean!).

Anyways - i'm subbing to this thread... nice to know it's a lot more common problem then i thought.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#310 of 1015 Old 06-23-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
did ur naturopath diagnose hypo based on labs or symptoms?
Both I guess. He said my T3 WAS low, but still in the lowest end of normal. He said he's isn't happy with where it is and wants it higher because I am obviously symptomatic. He said if I was getting graded, I would be getting D's. He wants to bring me up to A's and B's. Makes sense to me.

#311 of 1015 Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
My adrenal doc (95% of his patients are adrenal patients) says that the thyroid is *always* affected in adrenal fatigue - even if it doesn't show up in test results. Once you heal the adrenals, the thyroid should get back to normal.

From what I've read and what my Dr told me it's the thyroid that causes adrenal problems in people with poor thyroid function. Many people with adrenal fatigue have gone for years with either misdiagnosed or poorly treated hypothyroid symptoms. As a result, this puts a lot of stress on the adrenals because they are overcompensating for the thyroid and adrenal fatigue occurs.
#312 of 1015 Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
From what I've read and what my Dr told me it's the thyroid that causes adrenal problems in people with poor thyroid function. Many people with adrenal fatigue have gone for years with either misdiagnosed or poorly treated hypothyroid symptoms. As a result, this puts a lot of stress on the adrenals because they are overcompensating for the thyroid and adrenal fatigue occurs.
I guess it can go either way, huh? My thyroid looked good in my results. My symptoms sound like hypERthyroid, but it's not showing up - that's when he said that the thyroid is always affected.

It wouldn't hurt to support the adrenals while treating the thryoid, do you agree? Really, everyone *should* support their adrenals, I think that's how life should be - lower stress, elimiate caffeine, increase salt (sea) intake, plenty or sleep & relaxation, good diet. I suppose if everyone did all of those things, the majority of people in te world wouldn't suffer from adrenal fatigue! (& I bet it would reduce the thyroid problems too.)

#313 of 1015 Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM

That does make sense. It probably does go both ways. All of the hormones are interconnected. So, if one gets thrown off the others very well could be too.

I definately think everyone should support there adrenals. We're just not made to withstand this culture that we live in.
#314 of 1015 Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 PM

This is a great thread. I suffer from adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism.

My problems improve dramatically when I get my back adjusted. My DC told me that he's the same way, and that he has many,many patients with thyroid problems who say the same thing. It seems that the nerve supply to both organs can be significantly impeded by spinal subluxation.

And Jane, thank you for the nutritional info. I know it takes a lot of time to write useful and informative posts, especially when links and quotes are included. I really respect your opinions, they're well researched and make a lot of sense.
#315 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM

I just switched to Armour thyroid. Does anyone else think those pills smell like dog food? I guess pig thyroid isn't going to smell like roses but does it have to smell like dog food? Now I know not to stick my nose in the bottle when I take it though.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#316 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Oh yeah, Armour smells gross!! I take it sublingually and since I've been pregnant I find it really hard to take sometimes!!
#317 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Just got back from the Dr and wanted to post an update

he went ahead and prescribed me Armour, and told me to stop taking the Wellbutrin (YEAH)

also for 30 days I am going to take Metanx

and from the HFS he told me to get 5-HTP Tryptophan Tabs 50mg (1 at bedtime) our HFS only had 100mg so I am wondering if I can cut them in half?

Overall I think my appt went great, and as soon as I said adrenal fatigue he actually didnt look at me like I had 3 eyes, I really like this Dr..

#318 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee View Post
Just got back from the Dr and wanted to post an update

he went ahead and prescribed me Armour, and told me to stop taking the Wellbutrin (YEAH)

also for 30 days I am going to take Metanx

and from the HFS he told me to get 5-HTP Tryptophan Tabs 50mg (1 at bedtime) our HFS only had 100mg so I am wondering if I can cut them in half?

Overall I think my appt went great, and as soon as I said adrenal fatigue he actually didnt look at me like I had 3 eyes, I really like this Dr..
I hope he explained to you HOW to stop taking the Wellbutrin. I stopped taking it cold turkey and got VERY sick!

I have been taking Armour for a week and I don't feel ANY better. I feel the same, if not worse. I go back on the 19th and I am hoping he will up my dose. I am only on 15 mg....what's everyone else's dose? My T3 levels were borderline, on the low end of normal apparently.

#319 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I felt worse for a short time after switching to Armour. Then my dose increased and now I'm doing much better. It is common to have a period of adjustment when switching. Did you have other throid meds before or is this your first treatment for hypo?
#320 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hey y'all

what are your levels? i think the nurse last time i had a check up told me i was 2-ish. i've really not been feeling great all year. struggling a bit with depression and anxiety. i've thought about lobbying for a higher dose or even just dosing myself up (i have a few bottles of synthroid that are higher mcgs from adjustments made during my last pgncy), but i was afraid that a higher dose might make the anxiety i had worse. i really don't need anything to make that worse.

i did go back off caffiene. i need to get more exercise, but it's hard to work it in with the kids. lame excuse i suppose, but my kids are great for jumping on the bed, but not so great for taking a power walk with me. i'm pretty regular in my omega 3 intake, but i'm just feeling off. some days moreso than others (today is actually a good day). the fatigue is not too bad, but i get plenty of sleep usually. i go to bed with the kids (need to get them going to bed earlier, but that's another thread).

my main complaint is the depression/anxiety. i have some issues that make that worse (my parents' health, anxiety about getting high strung dd1's schooling choices settled, etc, etc), but i think it's affecting me more than it needs to. i think if i were a little more [i]something[/] i could face these challenges head on, but right now i go through spates of being just overwhelmed. sometimes i want to blame the thyroid. sometimes i think i just need to make more effort to build a support network. sometimes i think i need more exercise. sometimes i think maybe it's my adrenals or i need to go to a homeopath, naturopath, or an endo (i've just been on synthroid and treated by regular drs/nurse practioners).

i do get cold easily and enjoy the hot weather, but i've been that way my whole life.

anybody have any thoughts? is 2 a normal level or a little high?

thanks

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#321 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I hope he explained to you HOW to stop taking the Wellbutrin. I stopped taking it cold turkey and got VERY sick!

I have been taking Armour for a week and I don't feel ANY better. I feel the same, if not worse. I go back on the 19th and I am hoping he will up my dose. I am only on 15 mg....what's everyone else's dose? My T3 levels were borderline, on the low end of normal apparently.

Oh yes, I am going to cut them in half, I was taking it for 6 weeks and only 75mg, so I think it should be fine (it didnt help me AT ALL anyway)

And he gave 60 mg, so yeah ...I bet 15 mg is not enough? My levels were borerline too (100) to be exact on a scale of 85-205

#322 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

An online friend of mine brought it to my attn. about taking the 5-htp while taking Armour...not so sure I need to be taking the 5-htp?

#323 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
I felt worse for a short time after switching to Armour. Then my dose increased and now I'm doing much better. It is common to have a period of adjustment when switching. Did you have other thyroid meds before or is this your first treatment for hypo?
This is my first treatment.

I am looking at my results.....but I don't really know how to decipher them.

T3 Reverse-- I was 0.18 and the range listed is 0.11-0.32

T3 free non-dialysis-- I was 2.5 and the range is 2.4-4.2

T4 free non-dialysis-- I was 1.0 and the range is 0.8-1.7

#324 of 1015 Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I guess it can go either way, huh? My thyroid looked good in my results. My symptoms sound like hypERthyroid, but it's not showing up - that's when he said that the thyroid is always affected.
Did the doctor check antibodies? My ND just explained how antibodies make you fluctuate hypo/hyper sometimes throughout the day.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#325 of 1015 Old 07-01-2007, 04:43 AM

I have taken the whole evening to read through this thread. So very interesting and I appreciate all of you that posted with your experiences and gave so much information and great links!

My 14yodd has been diagnosed with hyper. The test for antibodies was inconclusive and the ultrasound revealed lesions/nodes, one of which is enlarged. She also has suffered from symptoms for more than 18 months but the naturopath was not helpful, we finally got a diagnoses from the DO and a referral to a ped. endo in 3 weeks. I am searching for cause and treatment of this lesion/node aspect. Does anyone know? My dd also suffers from the cold, which is more like Hypo, but she has the watery eyes, recurring sore throat, bone aches, terrible acne which does not respond to anything, very low white blood cell count, low blood sugar, inability to concentrate and poor memory. No period for the past 9 months, extreme moodiness and withdrawal, short temper which is so not like her-she usually has a very sunny disposition. She is taking a complete liver detox in a multi vitamin, EFA's (fish oil), broccoli supplement, complete probiotic, and has received regular cranio/sacral her whole life. I want to have as much information as I can, before the endo. appointment, as I would like to avoid an invasive treatment such as RAI. I wasn't able to find a situation similar to hers on this thread, but I bookmarked the links and will read through to see if there is something there that can help her. Thanks!
#326 of 1015 Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightinvt View Post
It seems like thyroid problems are so prevelent in child-bearing women these days. Women that should otherwise be healthy. Why is this? Not a rhetorical question. I really wonder.
I think this is a REALLY interesting question, and I have thought about it a lot since my thyroid dx.

I had a textbook pregnancy, very healthy, didn't gain tons of weight, I ate very clean during pg and postpartum, exercised and did yoga/meditation during pg up til the day I went into labor and then started back a few weeks after delivery, took vit and minerals, etc....

But I had a rapid weight loss, sudden drop in milk production, anxiety, etc... followed by weight gain and fatigue like I never imagined.

My midwife noticed a goiter and referred me to an endo - my TSH was over 250!! and antibodies off the charts.

The endo said that my thyroid likely overproduced/ went severely hyper PP and actually damaged itself which caused the swing to hypo. He said that it is common and does sometimes resolve itself, but in my case was too severe to resolve itself, dx Hashimotos.

(So I agree it is important to try other natural things first before allopathic, but I wish I had gone to the doc sooner, instead of the four months of trying to fix myself with nutrition and supplements...which in my case has to support taking the meds, not replace it)

I have also wondered if maybe having Hashimoto's is a result of my being vaxed as a child and the vax damaging my immune system? Then the damage not really manifesting itself until my body was under a certain kind of stressor from pregnancy? Maybe that is one of the many factors that goes into so many women developing this PP?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#327 of 1015 Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Hi all,
I hope this is OK to post here...it's not about a mama with thyroid issues, but rather, my dad.

Here's the situation: My dad was diagnosed with possible thyroid cancer several weeks ago, and went in for surgery today. I don't know what type of thyroid cancer it may be, or any specifics really at all, other than his MD felt a mass, sent him for further testing, and aspiration showed the mass was not a cyst. He was either in denial before the surgery or had processed the experience and was very relaxed about everything. Honestly, he was acting like he was going in for a tooth removal or something.

So his surgery was supposed to be at 1:30 today. They were going to remove half of the thyroid (the half with the HUGE nodule on it) and a sample of tissue from the other half, then send this to pathology while he was still under. If it was cancerous, they were planning to remove the other half; if not, leave it in place. Apparently, this surgery usually takes 1 hour.

His surgery didn't even start until 3:30 because of some issue with his anesthesia (!!). They removed the half and tissue, but the hospital pathology department could not conclusively determine one way or another. So they are sending the tissues out to a specialized lab. It will take four days (!!) to get the results. At 7:30 pm, he was wheeled into intensive care. Apparently, he will be kept in a semi-sleep state with the tubes in his throat kept in place so they don't run into anesthesia complications again should he have to have the second half taken out.

Like I said, I'm going crazy right now - my head is just spinning. I sooooo wish I was in the hospital so I could demand some information and answers. As it is, I am a 4 hour drive away with 2 little ones. I just don't know if going there would be the best thing for my kids. My DS is incredibly attached to his Grandpa - and I am too! My Dad is only 60, and my DS' only grandpa left.

So...is it common for pathology to not know whether it's cancer or not?
How about keeping someone under anesthesia for 6 hours before putting them in the ICU? Honestly, I'm not even sure what to ask right now, but I know that I want more information. I've been through the about.com thyroid cancer section, and the ACS thyroid cancer info, but I'm still left with this panicked, I'm-fumbling-around-in-the-dark kind of feeling. Can anyone either recommend other sites, or help me understand?

Thanks so much - and I'm sorry if this didn't make tons of sense. I really am stricken with fear right now.
#328 of 1015 Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 AM

streuselmama, i wish i could answer your questions, but i'm more of a lurker re: the thyriod stuff. i'm a PT in a hospital, so i know a bit about the med stuff, but not enough to address your q's well.

however, there's a nurses tribe, if you post there, you might get some ICU/etc nurses who can explain things.

my signature is usually illegible
#329 of 1015 Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightinvt View Post
Well you know I'm going to say nutritional causes are number 1!

Nutritional Deficiencies
From my post above and Dr. Brownstein's book the following can cause an inability to convert T4 to T3: lack of sufficient iodine, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamin A and B vitamins esp. B6 and B12. Magnesium defiency mimics symptoms of hypothyroidism. Copper excess (common in veg*an diets) can cause hyperthyroidism. Your body simply doesn't work correctly without the proper nutrients.

Keep in mind that absorption of these nutrients also depends on effective digestion... if you have any sort of IBS or take stomach acid reducing meditaion, forget it, you are starving yourself.

RDA levels of these nutrients are a joke, they were based on overt signs of clinical deficiency not optimal health. Modern medicine doesn't study nutrition, they are blind to the basic workings of the body and what it runs on. Scurvy for ex. We should all know by now we need much more vit. C for good health and in times of disease than the minimum to prevent scurvy. Studies on traditional diets show that they contained 4x the minerals and water soluble vits and 10x the fat soluble vits as the RDA... and produced people with total health. So I think how much even *more* than an optimal diet do I need to consume in order to recover from a deficiency?

Diet
Study after study shows most people are deficient in key nutrients for basic bodily function. The myth of just taking a multivitamin to be "extra insurance" persists. This couldn't be more wrong. Firstly, chemical vitamins are not effective in the body as food based vits. For example, ascorbic acid, the chemical form of vitamin C, is around 10-20 times *less* effective than the natural version in foods, ie. you need to take more.

Secondly our standard grocery store food is deficient. If our soils don't contain the nutrients (selenium for ex.) our food will not either. Food giants don't care about adding minerals to soils, profit margin in major concern. Commercial eggs and grain fed meats contain a fraction of nutrients than traditional farm raised. A diet high in sugar will take up nutrients to digest it. Processed white flour contains 10% of most nutrients as wheat for ex. Vegetable fats high in omega 6s: canola, corn, soy oils.... do not provide usable omega 3s and will block production of other essential fatty acids. The modern diet is making us sick.

In the 1980's bromide was added to flour products, replacing iodine as a dough conditioner, thus further depeleting the poor iodine ratio of the modern diet. Bromide is a thyroid antagonist just as chlorine and fluoride. It takes up the receptors and blocks iodine from attaching.

And unfermented SOY is a major goitrogen. I think this is probably a significant factor for our generation of child bearing women. I'm sure it was in my case when I became mostly vegan for health reasons (and I could kick myself now). It's a crying shame that soy is marketed as health food and in most every processed food product.

Medications
Birth control pills reduce conversion of T4 to T3.

Toxicities
Mercury tooth fillings, fluoride, pesticides, etc reduce conversion.
#330 of 1015 Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Streuselmama,

I'm so sorry you are going through this... my cousin is facing the same thing and my father also may have nodular goiter! It's a freakin' epidemic and it's making me p.o.'d!

I think it's riduculous to remove a body part without sufficient evidence. Based on my family's experience... most mainstream dr.'s will just remove a problematic thyroid with impunity... without knowing WHY it is like that or understanding that the thyroid effects EVERY CELL in our bodies.

Iodine defiency is number one cause of nodular goiter but a traditional doctor won't see it that way. Go up to where I discuss iodine and read Flechas, Abrahams and Brownstein's research.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page