The Thyroid Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#361 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i guess more of a philosophical question perhaps...i haven't been diagnosed with hypothyroidism but i strongly suspect it, so i've been making adjustments to my diet in hopes of helping resolve any nutritional deficiencies i have, at least as much as i can do until i have $$ to get some help otherwise.

anyhoo, on to my question. in one of my natural health books the section on thyroid disorders, the author says that oftentimes people who develop thyroid disorders suppress their true feelings/don't voice their opinions often enough. when i read that, i thought for me that was true. one of his his recommendations was basically to lay down and place your hands on your throat chakra and make any noise that you want for at least 10 minutes every day. i was wondering if suppression of your "voice" rings true for anyone else here with a thyroid disorder?

he also suggested going outside and looking in the direction of the sun (not directly at it of course) within an hour of sunrise, to get the sunshine directly in your eyes (no glasses, not looking through a window, etc) so that the sunshine could stimulate your pineal gland and hopefully help boost your other glands as a result.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#362 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM

Absolutely!!

I'm normally introverted anyway. When my thyroid is off I hide from the world. That includes speaking my mind especially to non-family members.

When everything is good I find speaking quite a bit easier
#363 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks, Jane! I'm looking over the info.

Desert Penguin--I am more apprehensive about speaking out--esp if I sense a conflict. I waited til 8 mos pregnant to tell people I was having my baby at home...my dh couldn't understand my anxiety--not about hb, but about having to tell people. And I am usually an outspoken (in a nice way, I hope ) person.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#364 of 1016 Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Lack of iodine (nodular goiter), vitamin D deficiency (there are studies on this) and also I believe what I think (?) is an autoimmune disease hyperparathyroidism.
There is no sign of a goiter or any swelling, besides one enlarged node in the rt side of the thyroid. There are small lesions and nodes spread throughout the thyroid.
There is no sign of excessive calcium, nor was the test for antibodies conclusive as to indicate an autoimmune disorder. The girl will not drink cow's milk- her DO was always fine with this. She does love tofu and cheese, gets good quantities of dark leafy greens and high grade protein, and takes omegas and other high quality supplements, including a multi-flora probiotic as recommended by her naturopath. The bloodwork revealed very low white cell count, and low blood sugar. I will look into the vit D and iodine- thanks for your help, Jane- you're an angel!
#365 of 1016 Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
i guess more of a philosophical question perhaps...i haven't been diagnosed with hypothyroidism but i strongly suspect it, so i've been making adjustments to my diet in hopes of helping resolve any nutritional deficiencies i have, at least as much as i can do until i have $$ to get some help otherwise.

anyhoo, on to my question. in one of my natural health books the section on thyroid disorders, the author says that oftentimes people who develop thyroid disorders suppress their true feelings/don't voice their opinions often enough. when i read that, i thought for me that was true. one of his his recommendations was basically to lay down and place your hands on your throat chakra and make any noise that you want for at least 10 minutes every day. i was wondering if suppression of your "voice" rings true for anyone else here with a thyroid disorder?

It did. Now I say whatever I want because I'm so tired of people trying to tell me what's good for me when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

he also suggested going outside and looking in the direction of the sun (not directly at it of course) within an hour of sunrise, to get the sunshine directly in your eyes (no glasses, not looking through a window, etc) so that the sunshine could stimulate your pineal gland and hopefully help boost your other glands as a result.
I go to yahoo groups naturalthyroidhormones and stopthethryoidmadness (dotcom) and mary shoman's site for most of my information. I have no trust for the average endo. And anyone who starts telling me how fabulous soy and black cohosh are I either set straight or ignore, whichever suits my mood and energy level at the time.

meditation is a big help too.

I hear a lot of people talk about the throat/voice thing, so you are not imagining it by any means.

for intuitive readings click here :
#366 of 1016 Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 PM

Hello...I have been told that my numbers were outrageous. The normal count is 35 and below, mine is 888. I have had 2 miscarriages, one was with twins and the other was single. I was told by a Dr. that because my Auto Antibodies are so high, every time I get pregnant I will miscarry, because my body kills the fetus. I am now seeing a different Dr. because the old one said there is nothing I can do and I should start thinking of a Surrogate. Well, I am now on Baby Aspirin, Levoxyl, and Progesterone Suppositories. He has me checking my BBT and LH levels. I am really hoping I don't get my Period next week and if we are pregnant that it sticks.

If anyone has any other advice please let me know, I would love to hear from any of you who have experienced what I am going through.

Thank you and good luck to all of you.
#367 of 1016 Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.co...ntibody_titers

Discusses selenium supplementation to reduce thyroid antibody counts. JaneS has put up some interesting discussions lately of how selenium and iodine interact, and how supplementation of both is a good idea (I hope I didn't paraphrase that too badly). Check it out here (this thread, I think) and possibly over in Dental.

I've read several places that selenomethionine (I think I got the spelling right) is the best form to supplement with. I did this (along with other minerals) to get my hypothyroidism under control.

Good luck!
#368 of 1016 Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 AM

Thats awsome I printed that out to take to my Appointment with my new Endo in two weeks. I went through 6 pregnancies before getting my DD(baby #7). She was my 1st and only successful baby to make it past 22 weeks. She was born at 31 weeks. Every Endo I have ever seen has always told me that I will probably not carry to term and that I will only carry up to aprox 34 weeks. So we will be talking about babies with the endo when I see her so I have a good idea of what to somewhat look "forward" too next time we try for a baby.
So Thanks again for that info, I will look forward to that discussion with the endo in 2 weeks.. I shall report back on what she does for me.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#369 of 1016 Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Do antibodies naturally fluctuate? I have been taking vitamins and also going to an energy healer and my antibodies went down from the 700s to 200s. I wonder if there are natural fluctuations or if the nutrition is working...

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#370 of 1016 Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM

They naturally fluctuate. That is why someone w/ Hashi's will fluctuate between hypo and hyper symptoms....
#371 of 1016 Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM

Thank you for the info. I also printed out the information.
#372 of 1016 Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM

Ugh, I could just SCREAM! I spent 20 minutes typing all this out and it was LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am desperate so, I'm going to type it again.

I need your help ladies. I FINALLY got some HOPE that I was going to feel better. Wednesday, I started on a bunch of supplements for my thyroid/adrenals and was feeling TONS better yesterday. I LOVE my new doc, and he is very careful in checking what he gives me for any dangers/side effects with nursing my 23 month old dd, BUT, she has been WIRED for the last 18-20 hours! She was up and very restless MOST of the night last night and my dh and I are ready to climb the walls today! (I just threw my glasses at the wall and used a very bad word when I lost my last post!!!!!!) :

Anyway, here is the LONG-re-typed list of med's I just started on:

Methylcobalamin 5000 mcg (5mg) 1 sublingual in am
Folic Acid - 1 in am
Reacted Potassium (2 in am, 2 at bedtime)
Reacted Magnesium (4 at bedtime)
Reacted Calcium (4 at bedtime)
Liquid Iodine (75 mcg per drop) 4 drops in am
GTA- 3 in am
*GTA ingredients: Porcine Glandular Concentrate 5mg, Selenium 5mcg, Rubidum 5mcg, Superoxide Dismutase 30 mcg, Catalase 30 mcg
Cytozyme-AD- 1 in am, 1 mid-afternoon
Cyt-AD ingredients: Neonatal Adrenal complex (bovine) 80 mg, Superoxide Dismutase 20 mcg, Catalase 20 mcg.
5-HTP 100 mg- 2 at bedtime
Orthomega (Fish oil)- 2 in am, 2 in pm
Vitamin D3 5000 IU's- 1 at dinner

For those of you, or anyone else , that have been on some of these supp's, did your nursing child have any problems such as anxiety, sleeplessness, crankiness, high energy?

DD could also be teething (2 yr molars), but the timing is too conicidental, yk? She seems much more wired than any other times before with teething.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you guys can offer!!!!!!
#373 of 1016 Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM

I had some problems with my adrenal supplement, not for the little one, but for me. As I started to get better, I had to cut out the midday pills because I was getting a bit wired/unable to go to sleep at night. But we also decided to add in melatonin for me and the little one (my problems are related to my mercury fillings, and apparently mercury messes up something about melatonin--I think (but don't remember exactly, it was a passing comment by my HCP)--that the melatonin gets used up dealing with processing the mercury, but anyway, 25lb 15mo son takes 1mg melatonin each night, I take 3mg). No other suggestions, sorry, but you may want to post such a specific question in another thread (sorry if you already did that and I just didn't see).
#374 of 1016 Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I *think* I finally have a few minutes to type.

I have a quick appointment today to go over my symptoms with my doc and to get my lab order. In case anyone is wondering why I have to see the doc before they'll send me for bloodwork....I haven't seen a doctor (aside from an OB) since the pre-TTC appointment I had three years ago where we discussed my borderline hypothyroid levels and agreed to keep checking them every 6 months or so. Not long after that we had troubles with their office and decided they were not the physicians for us! We switched docs and the boys have both seen the new doctor (who we really like and is ok with our no vaxing....woohoo!) but I haven't seen him for medical care yet. That's why he has to see me quickly before my labs. Until they have me in their system they can't just print out orders.

On to my symptoms.....

Goiter: identified at my last appt 3 years ago

Fatigue: For the last three weeks I've gotten progressively worse regarding how much I can even function because my body is so tired. I'm not ready for a nap, but I feel like if I sit on the couch my body will never let me get
up again. Forget playing with the boys, I just physically cannot do it.

Constipation coupled with the opposite: I have never in my life dealt with this issue. For a week or so I'm constipated and then I get really frequent soft bowel movements for a couple of weeks, then constipation again.

Dry skin: Over the last couple of years my skin has become terribly dry and flaky. Right now it looks great, perhaps because it is so humid here nothing could be dry?

Forgetfulness: I blamed it on pregnancy and motherhood, but my memory is truly horrific lately. I used to have a fabulous memory, so this is highly unusual for me. I forgot my own phone number yesterday!

Hair loss: In the last 3 years my pony tail has shrunk to half of it's original size. And my hair hangs halfway down my back so imagine finding it everywhere. *sigh* I have to cut it off of the vacuum before using it every single time I vacuum, providing I have the energy to vacuum of course!

Heat/cold intolerance: I alternate between being cold on 80 degree days and sweating profusely on much cooler days. It's hard to get dressed these days.

Depression: Some days I really just want to die. I could never kill myself, but I have far too many *I wish I would just fall over dead* days lately. And my life (aside from these symptoms) is so good! Depression doesn't fit.

Anxiety attacks: I used to very occasionally get really overwhelmed and need to leave a store when shopping. I feel that way often in the last couple of months. Too many people and I can't breathe and I need OUT NOW! I feel sick and panicky thinking about it. I just want to stay home and never leave.

Lighter menstrual periods: But is this because of my thyroid or the fact that I now use a Diva/cloth pads? Or is it just natural changes after having a second child?

Weight loss: After going years having a HARD time losing weight I have lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks with no dietary changes. In fact, we had three birthdays and all of the cake that goes with, plus a visit from my brother the chef in that time.

Fuzzy eyesight: Is it time for an eye appointment or a symptom?

Rage: Aside from the fatigue this is the worst! Do you know how hard it is for an AP momma to feel rage at her children?! I have threatened to spank and actually done so a couple of times. Me!!!! And then I get so depressed I just want to run away so my kids don't have to live with a terrible momma. Ugh! So I try extra hard to be gentle and attentive, but them I'm so tired and my body just wants to not be bounced on anymore and my ears hurt and I just WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE! And I get angrier and angrier and can't seem to diffuse it no matter how hard I try. I really hate myself right now.

So it is possible that I was hypothyroid (like my mother and grandfather) for those 3 years (untreated) and my thyroid tried so hard to work that it has become overactive? It doesn't seem possible but my symptoms are so weird. I also have a hyperthyroid grandmother (on my father's side) who had to have her thyroid removed.

Well, regardless, I go today for answers and hope I get them quickly because I'm so tired and I can't take it anymore! I'll update you all on what happens.
I just kept saying OMG OMG OMG! At every symptom you described. So I could be right, I could have hypothyroidism (I have gained 10 pounds in one month even though I have been on a strict vegan diet for 6 weeks).

I could cry and scream at the same time. An ER doc said I was depressed and prescribed me Leixpro. No, I won't fill the prescription. I am just overjoyed at being directed to this thread.
#375 of 1016 Old 07-28-2007, 12:42 AM

Well, I took dd to the pediatric endocrinologist, and it went badly. The guy was so arrogant towards me and condescending towards dd. Imagine George Costanza, from Seinfeld as a doctor and you will get a pretty clear picture. He said the goiter was common and that I was making a big deal out of nothing. He seemed to think that he could cure all her problems by putting her on birth control pills! It was a complete waste of time and a lot of money. He also told me to take her off of all supplements. I have tried to make an appointment with another endocrinologist to get a second opinion, but no one in town will take her, because she is a minor. She is still suffering from her symptoms, just not in good general health and is showing symptoms of hyperthyroid and PCOS. I feel so frustrated tht I have not been able to find a doctor that will help her and our insurance will only pay for these type of quacks.
#376 of 1016 Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
he said that the goiter was common!!

have you tried just taking her to a pediatrician? i've never actually seen an endo for my hypothyroidism and have always been treated by whatever care-provider i'm seeing. i've often thought i should go to an endo, but just have never gotten around to it. now, i'm wondering!!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#377 of 1016 Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 AM

From everything I've heard Endo's are completely useless for treating hypo. Their specialty is really diabetes and if your lucky maybe they will treat that correctly.

You would probably have better luck with a general practitioner. Insurance doesn't usually cover them but naturopathic docs are often most helpful with this.
#378 of 1016 Old 07-28-2007, 01:43 PM

I have an appointment for her to see a naturopath/chiro whose practice is about 50% children. The last naturopathic ND that I took dd to was flaky- lost blood samples and test results, didn't return phone calls, follow through or keep regular office hours and drove dh to distraction. It was hard enough to get him to go along with an alternative medical provider since the insurance won't cover it and he is so skeptical in the first place. It's so maddening to know that the insurance will pay for all the labwork required by the Endo/Quack but not for the ND/Chiro. I can't understand how that is. It seems to be a well known fact that birth control pills just make the PCOS worse in the long run, How is this guy still in business and fully funded by the PPO? :
#379 of 1016 Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Hi mamas! I've read here on and off over the last couple of years since dh was dx'd hypothyroid.

Today he found out that all this time his doc wasn't doing a complete panel but was only testing his TSH levels.:

Recent results show everything in mid-range except his TSH is really elevated. Doc went into a song and dance about how the pituitary could be enlarged thus causing this and now wants to send dh for an MRI.

What could cause elevated TSH only?

I'm going to x-post this too.
#380 of 1016 Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM

My dd has autoimmune thyroid disease and Chronic Urticaria. Anyone else dealing with this?

DD's been living with this for over a year, and it only seems to be getting worse. More rash, more swelling, more pain. She sees a pediatric rheumatologist and endocrinologist, but nothing the dr.s do seems to help.
#381 of 1016 Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I jsut got my TSh results back. It is 1.59 and says the normal range is 0.34-5.60 so why am I having all these symptoms (weight gain, hair loss and breaking, etc)? It's really odd.

Should I spend mroe money to have them do a T4? Or should I just rule hypothryoidism out all together?
#382 of 1016 Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Potty Diva, did they check for thyroid antibodies? There are two and both should be checked for. If they're out of range, your thyroid is under attack even if it hasn't yet affected the TSH number. I hope you can get some answers.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#383 of 1016 Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 PM

I have an appointment aug 15th at another dr's office to discuss another test (I am not going to tell this office about the TSH test). I am self paying for this office visit and have only told them that I have symptoms and would like it tested (they asked if I had a goiter and I said no). I hope they aren't going to give me the run around.

Any info I should arm myself with?

I do have low potassium and chloride levels (lower then the low average.
#384 of 1016 Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM

PottyDiva--I started having symptoms when my TSH went from 1.05 (checked when I felt fine due to family history) to 1.55. It took longer, for me, for my TSH to drift up enough for it to be noticeably wrong (and then I still had to prod). The top of the normal range was lowered to 3.0 about 5 years ago but many docs don't use the new number (even when informed and handed a printout from the American Assoc of Clinical Endocrinology website). And you may not have antibodies regardless--I didn't (I asked to have it checked) possibly because I was supplementing with 200mcg of selenium, and had been for a while. Selenium helps with T4 to T3 conversion (helpful for those on Synthroid and Synthroid-like supplements) and it also reduces antibody counts.

You may need to find a healthcare provider that will look primarily at your symptoms and not so much at lab results (or, like me, feel crappy until your lab results get bad enough that it's obvious--but by then, I went alternative anyway).

Good luck.
#385 of 1016 Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Just wanted to add there is a board called www.Healthboards.com that has a thyroid section and they have a WEALTH of information and I believe some endos post on there too and they will help interpret your results..

Potty Diva...you can still have a normal range tsh and be hypothyroid and you can get *way* more info with the Free T4 and freeT3's...as far as I've read, women need to be in the Upper 1/3 of the range to feel good and be pretty much symptom-free..

my tsh was also normal and my endo wouldnt listen even though both my freet3's and freet4's were on the VERY low end.borderline actually..

hoping to find an osteopath to do my bloodwork up again..
a really good book with most of the info u need is The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem, this book seriously saved me from my self (in the throes of hyperthyroidism I was suicidal almost daily) ..as I flipped thru it at the bookstore the tears were just uncontrollable cuz I finally found what was wrong with me...one year and 6 doctors later, the endo did admit that I went thru a very bad case of postpartum thyroiditis.but by that time my numbers were goin back to normal..great timing huh..I didnt start feeling 'better' till this past April, about 18 months after dd was born

HTH

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#386 of 1016 Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 AM

Well, I finally have some good news about dd. I took her to see a new doctor, a naturopath who is also a chiro. Within minutes of meeting him, I knew we were on the right tract. This is the first doctor I have met that seems to know what he is doing! He was so thorough and asked all the right questions. He was not at all arrogant like the others we have seen, but with a quiet, confident demeanor and an open mind. By the end of the exam, I felt that we had a realistic plan of treatment and my dd feels optimistic for the first time in a year. :

I'm so grateful to those of you who posted with all the helpful links on this thread and others on the H&H forum and to those of you who shared your experiences. Thank you so much!
#387 of 1016 Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 PM

Just was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism, so I'm here to learn. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, and doc prescribed a low dose of dessicated sheep thyroid. Now I'm going to go read the thread!
#388 of 1016 Old 08-05-2007, 04:21 AM

Pilgrim, you just gave me hope!
I dont want to be on synthroid, but I cant do armour b/c its made from pig which for religious reasons I cant/dont consume in any form..but I could do sheep

whether here or PM, if you are able to share any info it would be greatly appreciated

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#389 of 1016 Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post

Pilgrim, you just gave me hope!
I dont want to be on synthroid, but I cant do armour b/c its made from pig which for religious reasons I cant/dont consume in any form..but I could do sheep

whether here or PM, if you are able to share any info it would be greatly appreciated
Wow, I'm already glad to be of use here!

The brand my doc gave to me is Priority One. The ingredients state: thyroid, rice powder, gelatin. Now, my doc said that he prefers sheep thyroid over pig thyroid, saying that it's closer to human function. My bottle, however, doesn't say the source of the thyroid (but doc says it's sheep). The website is: www.priorityonevitamins.com But, you have to be a registered professional to get more information. I'll ask my doc, as we have a phone consult scheduled for my follow up.
#390 of 1016 Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Hello.

I just got my recent results back from the lab and they are as follows: (I included the saliva too just for fun)

Estradiol (saliva) 1.8 normal is 1.3-3.3
Progesterone (saliva) 174 normal is 75-270
Ratio pg/E2 (saliva) 97 L optimal is 100-500
Testosterone (saliva) 17 normal is 16-55
DHEAS (saliva) 7.2 normal is 2-23
Cortisol morning (saliva) 4.8 normal is 3.7-9.5
Cortisol noon (saliva) 1.7 normal is 1.2-3.0
Cortisol evening (saliva) 1.1 normal is 0.7-2.5
Cortisol night (saliva) 0.4 normal is 0.4-1.0
Free T4 (bloodspot) 1.1 normal is 0.7-2.5
TSH (bloodspot) 1.8 normal is 0.5-3.0
TPO (bloodspot) 60 normal is 0-150 (borderline 70-150)

The only thing the lab pointed out was low testosterone and low pg/E2 ratio which I think means estrogen dominance in the luteal phase? But they said all my thyroid was normal. What do you think?

These are the results from a bloodraw I had done a couple of months ago:

TSH 1.892 uIU/mL 0.350-5.500
Thyroxine (T4) 5.3 ug/dl 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 32 % 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 1.7 1.2-4.9

So those are older but can be used to compare or whatever.

Thanks for any input!!!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page