The Thyroid Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#421 of 1015 Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I know how you feel.

Have you had your adrenals and hormones tested?

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#422 of 1015 Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Check here for details on lab tests and results. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

The tests you took really don't give you a lot of information. Do you have thryoid antibodies? That makes a huge difference. TSH is not always a good indicator of anything. More important are your FREE Ts. You need a Free T4 and a Free T3 test. These need to be HIGH normal, not just in the range. Then there are other tests like cortisol and ferritin than can be telling. There is lots of good thyroid information out there, just not many doctors have read it.

Keep pursuing this, you are more than just lab results.
#423 of 1015 Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Oh I know how you feel.

Have you had your adrenals and hormones tested?
Not yet. That is next step, I suppose. I just really wanted this to be the test that would take care of it all, ya know? Our lives are so busy, that it is hard to carve out time do all of this testing and dr. visits and stuff. Even though, I know it is necessary. Thanks for the hugs

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#424 of 1015 Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
Check here for details on lab tests and results. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

The tests you took really don't give you a lot of information. Do you have thryoid antibodies? That makes a huge difference. TSH is not always a good indicator of anything. More important are your FREE Ts. You need a Free T4 and a Free T3 test. These need to be HIGH normal, not just in the range. Then there are other tests like cortisol and ferritin than can be telling. There is lots of good thyroid information out there, just not many doctors have read it.

Keep pursuing this, you are more than just lab results.
I guess I just assumed that this would be what I needed. I will have to make a point to get into a different doctor to get these others tested. My OB wasn't all that excited about doing these tests. I practically had to beg him. Stupid.

My mom was a nurse, a very good nurse, who actually cared about the patient. So, when I encounter a medical professional who really could care less, it comes as a shock, ya know?

Thanks,
Jamie

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#425 of 1015 Old 08-23-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
OK, I just want to cry. I had several test done last week to check my thyroid and see why I feel so bad. This is waht has come back so far...

TSH was 1.22, with at normal range of .4-4.0
Total T3 was 77, with normal range of 60-181
T3 uptake was 33, with a normal range of 22-35

My blood pressure is 100/60, low but considered good by the doc.

I have weight gain, hair loss, muscle weakness, tingling in muscles, fatigue, totally "out of it", can't concentrate well, forgetful, horrible anxiety. This is just stuff I can remember right now.

Can someone help me understand why I feel this way, if my test results are supposedly "normal"? Or, should I just dismiss the results and press on? I know something is wrong. I have ran all over the internet, googling my symptoms and come up with these awful, life threatening diseases and convince myself that I must have them. So, it is really disheartening to see normal results. My mind automatically goes back to those awful diseases.

Sorry for the long post...
I just wanted to let you know that my close friend had the *exact* same symptoms. We were both convinced that it was her thyroid, but in fact, it was anemia. Get your ferritin level checked.
#426 of 1015 Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 AM

I had a total thyroidectomy in Oct. 2006. I am currently on synthroid 125mcg. I went slightly hyper in May so the meds were adjusted. Had TSH level done in late July which was around (1. something). Over the past three days I have been awaken in the middle of the night with rapid, pounding heartbeat, increased pulse rate and blood pressure is high. Up until this week, my blood pressure had been great and pulse rate running on the low side.
Do you think I might be hyper again? I am trying to reach my doctor because it is frightening me badly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

afro.jpg
#427 of 1015 Old 08-25-2007, 03:50 PM

I am very tired, the only way I can explain is "pregnant tired". I have taken preg test and it was negative for baby. I feel yuk....like I have a cold coming on but it isn't coming on. I started going to the gym reguraly three weeks ago and these symptoms came on at the end of the second week. I went and bought a liquid multi vitamin and magnesium to counteract the fatigue. They have provided no change. I have struggled with depression on and off all my life and do not feel particulary down right now although I have felt sad some mornings this week on my way to work. I have a lot of hair and have always lost a lot reguraly I have not noticed losing anymore than usual. Maybe a LITTLE more. I have horrible pain in my jaw, on both sides. I also have a pain in the back of my right thigh. It is achy and sometimes the back of my leg falls asleep. It is extremely annoying but not horribly painful. Sometimes it just feels like it needs to be stretched but when I do that there is no relief. I have not lost a pound in the 3 weeks I have been working out but I have not gained any either. I have maintained the same weight for 3 years. My skin is not overly dry. I am always constiptated normally. (for the past 6 years since I had first DC)

This is all the info i can provide. Can anyone help me figure out what may be wrong with me? The fatigue is unnerving. I am terrified...I need to find an answer. I cannot live this tired. Oh and did i mention that I absolutely ABHORE the idea of going to a dr. and having to be on a pill for the rest of my life? Are there ANY natural treatments if this is thyroid? No history of thyroid problems in my family either. Also I went to a chiro on thursday and was adjusted and got some relief from the pain in my jaw briefly, maybe I need oto go again?

ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECIATED....
Middlemamma
#428 of 1015 Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmide_m;8876858helpful: [url
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalThyroidHormones/[/url]

Also I found a place that you can order your own tests without a doctors prescription, including the full thyroid panel! I'm probably going to do it, though I'm sorta putting it off cause it would be better to find a doc to order it so my insurance would cover it. Even so it's not as overpriced as I thought it might be (someone told me around $125 but that included other tests too)
Could you tell me where? I've been wanting this done...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#429 of 1015 Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
EMS

Could anyone help me figure this out? My doctor said my thyroid was a little low. The test I had was TSH with reflex the FT4, and the number was 1.87. She wants to retest it (that was about 4 months ago). What should the number be ideally? Are there other tests that they should do? (I do have some symptoms, but they're not severe, kind of vague, or attributable to other things as well.)
Anything I can do with diet?
Also, my cholesterol was really high (260)--anyone have experience with a thyroid connection with this?
Thanks!

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
Raising Three Boys in Brazil ::
#430 of 1015 Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 AM

Hello! I just found this thread after being away for a while (got a new computer, yay!). Anyway here is my deal...
Have been hypothyroid off and on for about 5 years and took Synthroid off and on - seemed to be euthyroid when I was pregnant. Actually found out I was hypothyroid when I was doing fertility monitoring and checking basal temps- was looooooow.
So, lately I have been fine- off Synthroid for nearly 2 years and found a lump on my neck a month and a half ago. Had labs done- TSH and T4 and were normal, had an ultrasound done- revealed a 2cm mass on the left side. Had a biopsy done- it appears to be a goiter, but carcinoma cannot be completely ruled out, so I have to have it rebiopsied in October. I have checked my basal temps lately and are low- 96.2-97. And I feel some hypo symptoms- fatigue, constipation, weight gain but hungry alot.
I briefly saw a naturopathic dr, but insurance doesn't cover her, so I am trying to find out more on my own. I was wanting a natural supplement if there is one to help me feel better and maybe shrink my goiter. Does anybody know of one? The naturopath suggested Spectra 305 T (I think that's right)- has anyone taken it? If so, good results or no results??

TIA for your help and support!!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#431 of 1015 Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS View Post
Could anyone help me figure this out? My doctor said my thyroid was a little low. The test I had was TSH with reflex the FT4, and the number was 1.87. She wants to retest it (that was about 4 months ago). What should the number be ideally? Are there other tests that they should do? (I do have some symptoms, but they're not severe, kind of vague, or attributable to other things as well.)
Anything I can do with diet?
Also, my cholesterol was really high (260)--anyone have experience with a thyroid connection with this?
Thanks!
High colesterol is a symptom of hypo: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

Do you know what the lab range was for your FT4? Ideally the result should be in the top 1/3 of the range or just above range.....
#432 of 1015 Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 AM

Here are the results of my labs. Of course, to the doctor, I am fine.

TSH was 1.22, range is 0.4-4.0
Total 3T was 77, range is 60-181
T3 uptake was 33, range is 22-35
Free T3 was 285, range is 230-420
DHEA was 192, range is 130-980
T3 reverse was 21, range is 11-32
Estrogen was 493, range is 70-900
SED rate was 2, range is less than 20
Ferritin was 19, range is 10-154
Vitamin B12 was 431, range is 200-1100
Progesterone was 0.9, range is less than 1.4-2.8
Free T4 was 1.1, range is 0.8-1.8
Total testosterone was 36, range is 20-76
thyroid antibodies was less than 20, range is less than 20

OK, that was a lot to write. Any feedback would be great. I have a lot of hypo symptoms, have TONS of family members with this crap and and more than a little upset that the doctor says I am "normal". I also have a high cholesterol of 250! I was so shocked about that one.

Jamie

#433 of 1015 Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks for reminding me about the high cholesterol connection. i think i'm a little undertreated, but hesitant to try a higher dose because i had some wicked anxiety last winter (exacerbated by the holidays and lack of daylight and cold temps and caffiene, all.) my care-provider didn't think my thyroid was too low, but i felt fairly crappy. she also found high cholesterol (which does run in my family). i'm really not doing anything about that right now, but i think i'd rather try a little more synthroid than a cholesterol-lowering drug.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#434 of 1015 Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread, but definitely subbing!

I have had 2 m/c in the last 3 months and my blood tests say my thyroid is OK, but my hair analysis with my chiro says it's REALLY under active. :

So, I'm currently taking Standard Process Brand Thytrophin PMG three times a day. Anybody else take a natural supplement like this and see great results?

Margie : & DH - Mom to sweet Avery Naoma : Our surprise breech homebirth! :
#435 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Two years ago, my ND diagnosed me with thyroid troubles (DD was 2 and I had no cycles yet.) I had no bloodwork done, but she put me on Thytrophin PMG (based on low basal temps), and in 6 weeks, I got my cycles, and my temps went up! I stayed on it for about a year, and then it was time to ttc, and she took me off of it. For the record, I had major dental problems for the next year, so we delayed ttc, which is why I'm just now pregnant!
#436 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Two years ago, my ND diagnosed me with thyroid troubles (DD was 2 and I had no cycles yet.) I had no bloodwork done, but she put me on Thytrophin PMG (based on low basal temps), and in 6 weeks, I got my cycles, and my temps went up! I stayed on it for about a year, and then it was time to ttc, and she took me off of it. For the record, I had major dental problems for the next year, so we delayed ttc, which is why I'm just now pregnant!
Congratulations on the pregnancy! Yay for a good ND!

#437 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
Here are the results of my labs. Of course, to the doctor, I am fine.

TSH was 1.22, range is 0.4-4.0
Total 3T was 77, range is 60-181
T3 uptake was 33, range is 22-35
Free T3 was 285, range is 230-420
DHEA was 192, range is 130-980
T3 reverse was 21, range is 11-32
Estrogen was 493, range is 70-900
SED rate was 2, range is less than 20
Ferritin was 19, range is 10-154
Vitamin B12 was 431, range is 200-1100
Progesterone was 0.9, range is less than 1.4-2.8
Free T4 was 1.1, range is 0.8-1.8
Total testosterone was 36, range is 20-76
thyroid antibodies was less than 20, range is less than 20

OK, that was a lot to write. Any feedback would be great. I have a lot of hypo symptoms, have TONS of family members with this crap and and more than a little upset that the doctor says I am "normal". I also have a high cholesterol of 250! I was so shocked about that one.

Jamie
FTR, I posted over on the message boards for realthyroidhelp.com, which is the new boards for STTM, since they closed down and they told me my ferritin was way too low, that it should be up around 70-90 and also my B12 was too low & that it should be around 1000! These ranges that the medical establishment has are just way too low and too broad. Not everyone is going to fit into the perfect little boxes. So I am supplementing with iron and b12. Can't wait to feel better. I also need to do the adrenal/cortisol saliva test. I am sure I have some adrenal fatigue going on.

#438 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I'm glad to hear that it worked for you.........just curious, any reason your ND took you off of it while TTC? My chiro suggested that I stay on it while TTC and pregnant. I have also had 2 m/c, so I think she may blame my thyroid and adrenal fatigue. I'm also on Standard Process Drenamin for that too. :

Margie : & DH - Mom to sweet Avery Naoma : Our surprise breech homebirth! :
#439 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM

I had high cholesterol as well, when I tested extremely hypo; but after about 6 months of thyroid treatment, no change in diet; same level of exercise, the cholesterol went down dramatically....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#440 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
EMS

Quote:
I had high cholesterol as well, when I tested extremely hypo; but after about 6 months of thyroid treatment, no change in diet; same level of exercise, the cholesterol went down dramatically....
Good to know.
Also, does anyone have experience with acupuncture or Chinese herbs helping with thyroid issues?
Or homeopathic thyroid medication?
(I'm interested in see what non-medication options are first.)
Thanks!

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
#441 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
EMS

One more question: is "TSH with reflex to FT4" the same as TSH? Or is it something else?

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
#442 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 PM

EMS, my hypothyroid is gone, as far as I can tell. I went the non-medication route. Nutritional supplements (selenium, iodine, zinc, and some vitamins--A, B, C, and E) were important, ... kids just got home, I'll post more later (PM me if I don't get back soon enough). One key for me, though, was figuring out why I'd become hypothyroid in the first place. My mercury fillings made me susceptible, then not taking care of myself. gotta run
#443 of 1015 Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittliz View Post
I'm glad to hear that it worked for you.........just curious, any reason your ND took you off of it while TTC? My chiro suggested that I stay on it while TTC and pregnant. I have also had 2 m/c, so I think she may blame my thyroid and adrenal fatigue. I'm also on Standard Process Drenamin for that too. :
I don't know why my ND took me off. I didn't ask her pointed, specific questions, and she said that my thyroid was only "slightly problematic" to begin with and that I should be fine without it. I think she's just not big on supplementation while pregnant. I stopped seeing her shortly after that event - only because I had a recommendation for a new ND that was a lot closer to my home, who turned out to be a dud!
#444 of 1015 Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 PM

EMS-I'm working with an acupuncturist on my health issues right now. For the hypothyroid problem, by taking a lot of vitamins/minerals on my own before I met her, my symptoms went away, and she's helping me with other things, but she seemed very knowledgeable and comfortable with the thyroid issue (yeah, I edited that sentence a lot and it's sorta messy--sorry). I'd think you'd be able to find someone who could do the same for you. It seems to be an open secret in alternative medicine circles--I also interviewed a chiropractor and he seemed completely comfortable with helping with the thyroid problem too.

The thing I would not have twigged to on my own (and was darn skeptical when she suggested it) was that my amalgam fillings played a role in my current health problems. But through talking to her more, reading on my own, and trying a GFCF diet, I'm now convinced it has played a role in my health problems (I thought it was just a family susceptibility--my mom, 3 aunts and grandmother are all on thyroid meds now). The other part was stress, which just wore my body down, and I didn't do a good job with healthy eating.

I've found this to be quite manageable, though it has sparked a complete overhaul of our lifestyle and eating habits.
#445 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Hi Tanya.
I'm reading your posts with interest. I have quite a few amalgam fillings..Did you have them removed?
Also, what's GFCF (i think the first part is gluten free?)

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#446 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 AM

I haven't gotten mine out yet. My health, well, it sorta sucks at the moment. My hypothyroid seems gone, and my adrenal fatigue is recovering (I got a real boost by going gluten-free, casein-free, but I think part of that was timing as to how I was feeling (really bad, just after I started treatment) when I started). Overall, though, I haven't eaten well in years and a couple stressful events in the past few years just drained my body and started this snowball of poor health, and so now I'm working to transform our eating--the traditional foods idea looks like the best idea I see around, so that's my goal.

My plan is to keep my health improving and wait for my son's last 4 teeth to come in (he's 16mos old now, and his teeth have come in early), which I expect to happen by Christmas-ish, and then I'll wean him so that I can get my fillings removed in January, maybe February. It was a bummer to decide that I needed my fillings removed and try to balance his need to nurse with the mercury he's getting daily from me and my need to get these things out of my mouth. He'll be about 21mos old then and with all his teeth in, I think he'll be sleeping better at night--right now, it would just be stressful and unhappy-making for all of us.

I'm working with an acupuncturist who does environmental medicine and she's guiding me through this, so I'll be chelating after the amalgam removal with her help. I can't take much to do things like detox while I'm nursing, and lately I've wondered if I'm going to need more time after I wean my son before I should get these fillings out (planning to ask about that next week). I am hopeful that a year after I get my fillings out, my health will be good enough that we can consider whether we are ready to think about ttc.

That was a bit of a ramble. Sorry. GFCF has been huge for me, and the effect I saw (it was dramatic, the first day I was sort of irritable and jittery, but in a day and a half I got a bump in energy that's continued for 4 months now--not a solution to the adrenal fatigue, but a real boost) convinced me that the mercury is a problem for me. I don't think it's as dramatic for everyone, and it's a pain, but it's actually been the biggest thing to help me do our own cooking and really start to get into the traditional foods thing.
#447 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 AM
EMS

Thanks for your response, Tanya. I have seen an acupuncturist for other things, so I'm going to talk to her about this.
Yet another question: I'm rereading The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure, which I've found helpful for other ailments. She suggests amino acids (specifically tyrosine) as part of the treatment for hypothyroid. Does anyone have experience with this? It seems like such a noninvasive option (though who knows how effective). But maybe worth a try?

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
#448 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM

I took tyrosine (along with a ton of other things, check out ithyroid.com to get an idea) but since it was with so much other stuff, I can't tell what its individual effect was. Although I did it on my own, at the time I didn't realize that it was quite reasonable to expect to find an alternative HCP who could help with this. I think it would have been faster, and less stressful, had I gone that route.

ETA: But I really think the minerals/vitamins are key in terms of pills taken. I think other stuff can probably provide good support (and diet/lifestyle changes were clearly necessary for me) but I think those pills are needed. JMO.
#449 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 PM

just wanted to post my own experience that going GFCF also helped to turn around my thyroid issues. i had subclinical lab values, but was having some symptoms of hypo-. the change was pretty immediate, too, like tanyalopez experienced. the first day i felt really jittery but after that, the brain fog feeling lifted, and i had more energy and motivation than i have had in a while. i also lost 4 pounds almost immediately and completely effortlessly.

at the same time, i started taking a supplement that has a little bit of dessicated cow thyroid (certainly not as much as armour), and it is balanced with minerals and amino acids to support the thyroid. in addition, i'm taking a bit of maca root, which is supposed to support and heal the adrenals and whole hypothalamus-pituitary hormonal feedback loop, which the thyroid is part of.
#450 of 1015 Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Really, kidspiration? I had no idea other folks had similar experiences. I lost weight too, 15lbs for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page