The Thyroid Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#61 of 1016 Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been diagnosed. My GP thought my symptoms were just from becoming a mother. But I had a m/c 6 months ago & haven't been able to get pregnant again and I'm tired all the time & have definite rage issues. So I think I'm going to go in and get tested.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#62 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbeans View Post
I've heard other people say they don't want to take a synthetic hormone - why not?
ALL synthetic hormones have side effects and are not as effective as your body's own hormone. Every major prescription hormone is chemically different from what your body makes (otherwise it can't be patented and there's no $ in it for the companies that manufacture it). I've heard some things about long term use of synthetic thyroid hormone being linked to liver problems.
#63 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Well wouldn't the Armour Thyroid also be considered "different" from human thyroid since it comes from pigs? Is it better because it's at least from a living, breathing mammal rather than a test tube?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#64 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 AM

#65 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM

Definately interested in this thread. Thank you for starting it. Hypothyroidic here for around 10 years. Had tonsils taken out when I was little too. My Dad has it. Don't know much about a hereditary link. The weight gain, dry skin, hair loss, and lack of energy have all been symptoms I have battled on and off with for a long time. My dosages are changed usually every three months. I noticed when I was on Levoxyl, my symptoms increased and when I went back on Synthroid, I was a lot better. I believe it is because generics do not have the same quality control on dosing per pill that a namebrand does. I have researched it a bit and like many other drugs out there, no matter what the doctors or pharmicists say, there IS a big difference between a generic and namebrand drug. I have found for me, one of the keys to maintaining a consistent "normal" feeling, I take Synthroid at the exact same time every day. I have dabbled and researched with alternative remedies but so far no luck with any combo I've tried. So I always end up going back to the drugs. Depressing.

DC
#66 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I noticed when I was on Levoxyl, my symptoms increased and when I went back on Synthroid, I was a lot better. I believe it is because generics do not have the same quality control on dosing per pill that a namebrand does.
Just FYI, Levoxyl is not a generic. It's a different name brand drug. I switched to Levoxyl from Synthroid because Synthroid has lactose in it and I'm lactose intolerant. It's probably not enough to bother me but I figure if you're going to be on a drug for life you might as well have it be lactose free. It's hard for me to tell if I feel better/worse on the Levoxyl since I'm still a bit wacked out from being postpartum.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#67 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM

I'm hypo and have been for many years. I was taking synthroid and now I'm taking the generic.

I've had no side reactions to the synthetic that I'm aware of.

I am still nursing DD #1 at 2 1/2 and am 32 weeks prego with #2.

I've had a LOT of trouble getting dosages settled. I seem to be stable when I'm pregnant but AFTER- my dosages went up like 4x! We'll see what happens this time.

I had no issues with getting pregnant. No problem at all and no BFing issues. I also pumped when I went back to work.

My cousin is hyperthyroid is facing either surgery or radioactive removal of her thyroid (too bad we can't share). She ended up having MAJOR issues with BFing due to the thyroid problems. Her milk just never came in. She tried EVERYTHING. Hopefully, by the time she's ready for #2- she'll have the hyperthyroidism taken care of. She was diagnosed once she became pregnant...
#68 of 1016 Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
Just FYI, Levoxyl is not a generic. It's a different name brand drug. I switched to Levoxyl from Synthroid because Synthroid has lactose in it and I'm lactose intolerant. It's probably not enough to bother me but I figure if you're going to be on a drug for life you might as well have it be lactose free. It's hard for me to tell if I feel better/worse on the Levoxyl since I'm still a bit wacked out from being postpartum.
Oh. I was under the impression Levoxyl was the generic of Synthroid. Hmmm. So what is the generic name of Synthroid then?
:

Aha! The names are pretty similar and that is maybe why I am confused???? The generic for BOTH levoxyl and synthroid is Levothyroxine.
http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/094626.htm Another screw up by my physician. Figures.
#69 of 1016 Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM

My ND suspects that my body has developed an immunity to the pig tissues in the Armour, and is going to try Thyrolar next. Has anyone heard of this happening? She is trying to lower my antibodies. I am still symptomatic, so it is a little frustrating...

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#70 of 1016 Old 10-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Hi everyone.I thought I posted on this thread before but I guess didn't.I have Hashi's hypothyroidism.I was diagnosed with hypo about 18 months ago,and just recently diagnosed with Hashi's.I'm on 75mcg of levothyroxine,and I still feel horrible.Headaches,chest pain(I had tests to rule out heart problems),all over aches,depressed,and so exhausted.I just started on antideppressants to see if that helps my mood at all.My TSH is around 1.7.I just had an ultrasound on my thyroid today.Does anyone know what they may suggest if they find it's enlarged?I'm just sick of feeling this way.I don't know what to do.TIA.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#71 of 1016 Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 AM

#72 of 1016 Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 PM

bumping to join and sub
i'm hypo, have been for 12-ish years now, not currently on meds but will probably be back on synthroid in the near future. i didn't know that rage was a symptom, but that could explain why i've been so snippy with dd lately :

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#73 of 1016 Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM

My hyperthyroid was discovered when my first ds was 9months. The endo thought it was pp tyroid condition, but then I got pg just a few months after that and it went away during that pg. Then when ds2 was born it came back. One yr pp after ds2 he decided it was Graves and not going away : . I cant think of what I take right now, but I do have my tonsils, but I have been diabetic for 10yrs if that makes a difference (endo says it does).

My ques is to those who have done the iodine thing. My endo wants me to do it, but last time he brought it up I was still nursing so I said no way. What is the advantage to it? doesn't it make you hypo? If I become hypo will I gain a bunch of weight?
#74 of 1016 Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM

#75 of 1016 Old 10-27-2006, 08:29 PM

just wanted to say hi, it has been helpful to read yalls experiences... I had no clue that I was hypo, just thought that being really tired and grumpy was part of having a baby!! Then I got diagnosed (endo said PP thyroiditis) when DD was 4 mo, w/ TSH over 200 and T3 and T4 almost 0, so now on synthroid... and feel 500% better.

CyndyRR327, I don't know anything about iodine test, but I don't think you necessarily gain weight if you're hypo, although that is a common symptom... I had a normal weight when I got diagnosed, although I have lost some since starting the meds.

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#76 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
I still have my tonsils but struggle with a huge thyroid and am hypo
What does it mean, to have a "huge thyroid"?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#77 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
What does it mean, to have a "huge thyroid"?
I had my thyroid removed two weeks ago. The doctor said it weighed one pound. So I'd say that's pretty huge!

afro.jpg
#78 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:33 PM

1 lb? wow! that is huge... :
#79 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What I mean is, how do you tell? Can you tell by feeling your neck/throat? What is your neck/throat *supposed* to feel like?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#80 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:50 PM

Hypo here... for 7-8 years. Diagnosed at a routine physical shortly after my older sister was diagnosed with a goiter. Mainly was seeing my family practitioner, then the reproductive endo (for atypical PCOS), then the OB once I was pregnant and back to the family prac. So, in all that whirlwind of switching providers I was going through many dose changes/thyroid swings. I finally asked for a referral to an endocrinologist and he has been wonderful!

The biggest change was telling me to make up missed doses. With two kids under three I was missing 1-2 pills per week. The family doc said just skip them if you don't remember until the next day. He said take the missed doses as soon as you realize they were missed - up to three at a time. Also he was much more open to keeping me at the low end of normal for TSH. Family doc said as long as it is in the lab's normal range you are fine (TSH up to 5!)

I do still feel like crap, but I have a 3 yo, nursing an 18 mo and pregnant, so I suppose I can't expect to feel all wonderful Also have been running kind of hyper lately (TSH <0.2) which they want for pregnancy, but it interferes with sleep, so am I tired from the kids, the pregnancy or just not sleeping well??

Anyway, to add on to a few of the earlier comments. The endo says to use Sythroid, Levoxyl or Levothroid ONLY and stick with one of them. The problem with the generics isn't so much that they are bad, but that you need to stay on the same brand. Once you say generic is OK, you may get generic company A the first time then generic company B the next and so on and that can really mess things up.

I still have my tonsils and so does my sister, so I'm not sure of a connection there.
#81 of 1016 Old 10-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
What I mean is, how do you tell? Can you tell by feeling your neck/throat? What is your neck/throat *supposed* to feel like?
I could totally see the bulge in my neck. It was very obvious however, my doc could palpate it to see that it had grown to a ridiculous length and width. I am glad to have it gone. I couldn't breathe right and food often got stuck in my throat. I am committed to synthroid (100mcg) for the rest of my life though

afro.jpg
#82 of 1016 Old 10-30-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_e View Post
Anyway, to add on to a few of the earlier comments. The endo says to use Sythroid, Levoxyl or Levothroid ONLY and stick with one of them. The problem with the generics isn't so much that they are bad, but that you need to stay on the same brand. Once you say generic is OK, you may get generic company A the first time then generic company B the next and so on and that can really mess things up.
A pharmacist friend told me the same thing - she said it is important to stick with whatever brand you were titrated on because there are subtle differences among brands and generics that make a difference in your body's response to the meds. She also told me if you're switching brands, to get levels checked more frequently at first, and they may have to be titrated to a slightly different level...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#83 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Glad I found this thread. I had hashimotos for about 15 years before I was diagnosed. I was labeled as suffering severe depression for that entire 15 year stint. Then about 2 years before I was finally dianosed I gained 75 pounds in about 18 months. I was put on Synthoid and 6 weeks later I was pregnant. Yeah. But I found the synthroid to be an incomplete medication for me (still suffering from depression and SEVERE anxiety) and switched doctors so I could be prescribed the Armour. What a world of difference. I feel like a real human again. I no longer suffer from all the mental issues I did before and I have finally begun to loose weight. It has been 4 long years. I am currently on the hunt to find a doctor who will treat my anitbodies, I am hoping that will clear up the rest of my symptoms. I still suffer from hair loss, infertility, cold hands and feet as welll as the rage issues that so many of you talk about. I was so happy to find out why I freak out on my hubby and kids all the time. Even our poor dog runs when I get like that. Has anybody found any information on calming the thyroid antibodies, I just started taking 200 mg of Selenium daily because that is supposed to help.
#84 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Can you tell me about the antibody issue? I haven't heard of that yet.

Also, what is the best thyroid test to get. I have an appt next week and want to ask the doctor for the right test.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#85 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Hmm...I've never heard of calming the antibodies either. I'll have to research that.

Chlobo, when I get my levels checked they do Free T3, Free T4, and TSH. They also checked for antibodies at one time but since that test was positive they don't need to do it anymore.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#86 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 04:00 PM

Ok. Just wanted to check. I just had bloodwork from a fertility clinic and they *only * checked TSH. Wanted to make the sure the regular doctor does a good test.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#87 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Another mother with hypothyroid issues. I was diagnosed 7 years ago after suffering from extreme exhaustion and despression. There was no significant weight gain (except a little puffiness/water retention around the face) but it was the first thing I checked before things became too severe as most of the women in my family have it.

My maternal grandmother suffered for most of her life and was only diagnosed shortly before her death (partly caused by the long-term damage done to her internal organs). When it was suggested as a possible condition to her doctor it was excluded because my grandmother was a very slight woman. Doctors don't seem to be be able to look further than this very common symptom. The same happened to my (very slim) mother, but after 15 years, when her mother died, she was also diagnosed. The upside to this is that I and my sister both were diagnosed and treated very quickly. In all instances there seemed to be a traumatic event that triggered the disease in each of us - usually pregnancy/childbirth, but in my case purchasing my first house and living out of a box for a few months in stressful conditions.

Since '99 I was taking 100mcg of a synthetic thyroxine medicine per day with great success - quick recovery and loss of symptoms and no side effects. Then, for no apparant reason, my levels dropped 2.5 years ago and I was prescribed 125 mcg per day. Without thinking too much I took it and stabilised the situation - and then became pregnant with DS. It didn't feel safe to me to be changing anything while I was carrying him, or when I was breastfeeding him as a young infant. So I stayed as I was.

Then when he was about 6 months old a test showed that my levels had dropped again and the doctor wanted to increase me to 150 mcg a day. This time I said STOP. I immediately went to see a homeopath (first time in my life) who gave me a remedy (which I don't now remember). A couple of months later my levels had so improved that I could drop back down to 100 mcg a day!! It has been stable there for the past year. Hemeopathy rocks and I fully intend going back for further 'work' to try and get off the meds completely. However, as we are TTC I may put it off for a while.....
#88 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 PM

Also glad to find this thread. I am starting to think that my thyroid has been responsible for more of my problems than I ever thought. We'll see how far I get on this post; may have to come back and add more later...nak

About 17 years ago I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. More accurately, I diagnosed myself; the family doctor wanted to simply put me on Prozac. However, I noticed that a goiter was forming and demanded that she test me. My father had been diagnosed a few years prior and I recognized the way the goiter looked.

Prior to the goiter forming, I had been having a lot of problems that didn't seem related. I had an eating disorder (bulimia) for a few years, felt "crazy" a lot of the time, like just not right, you know? Just before I was diagnosed, my heart felt like it was racing a lot. I was having a lot of problems in my relationship too, so it was hard to separate what was what.

After diagnosis, I was treated with radioactive iodine almost immediately. So fast, I felt like I hardly had time to think. It would have been interesting to explore other options...but whatever, what's done is certainly done. I have been on Synthroid almost ever since - but switched to Armour recently (more below).

Right after starting Synthroid treament, I traveled for a year abroad and as it turns out my levels were not correct. My hair fell out and my eyes bulged and I continued to "not feel quite right." After I came back, they adjusted my levels to .15 where I have stayed ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I noticed when I was on Levoxyl, my symptoms increased and when I went back on Synthroid, I was a lot better.
I also tried the Generic equivalent for awhile and did poorly on it, so I went back to Synthroid. As long as I took my pills everyday, I felt pretty good.

Taking my pill every day is a BIG issue for me. I'm a big forgetful anyway, but with a 3 year old and baby it has been really hard. Heck, just being pregnant with a 3 year old, it was hard. In fact, my thyroid levels were so poor during my pregnancy that I gypped myself out of a homebirth. The homebirth midwife said she didn't feel safe doing it because of my thryoid levels which indicated an increased chance of hemorraging. As it turned out everything was fine but what a bummer.

After DD was born, my homeopath MD really wanted to get me on Armour as she thought the T3-T4 combo would be much better for me, to help me be more even. If I take my pills everyday of course...

After DD was born, I also had a lot of problems with irritability, rage and overtiredness. I kept attributing it to just regular post-partum - I.e. this must be what it feels like to have two children.... - but I really think it was my low thyroid levels. Since I have switched this seems to have improved.

I am curious what if any relationship there is between having an eating disorder and thyroid disease - like maybe it sparked something that may not have happened until later? Or is there some sort of environmental component? Thyroid issues run in my family - Paternally, my grandmother, two female cousins and father all had Graves/hyperthyroidism. Actually, my grandmother was diagnosed as hypo, but I suspect she had hyper for years and years and years (thinking about her behavior) and just burned her thyroid out finally. My mother was recently diagnosed as hypo and is taking hormone as well.

I wonder what I can do for my children to help them avoid this problem if they are susceptible.
#89 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
those of y'all who are having trouble remembering to take your meds, i'll tell you my secret method which usually seems to work. i try to put my toothbrush on a shelf in our bathroom behind my meds so i have to sorta go through my meds to get to my toothbrush. then i don't brush my teeth in the morning until i've taken my meds. (works at night, too, if you prefer to take them then.) i used to not only forget to take my pills, but also would remember later on, "my pills! did i take them or not?" and i just couldn't remember if i had taken them or not. now, with the toothbrush method, the clean teeth serve as a reminder that i did remember or the dirty teeth remind me to go and do it.

hth!

p.s. i'd be interested in hearing more about calming the antibodies, too.

oh, and anybody else with vitiligo out there?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#90 of 1016 Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 PM

My pills are by my toothbrush too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page