Mothering Forum banner

The Thyroid Thread

90K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  shelley4 
#1 ·
Link to The Thyroid Thread (Part II)

Can we get a tribe of mommas with thyroid problems (hypo/hyper/Hashimoto's/Graves) started? I've searched the archives and noticed that a lot of the thyroid posts get very few responses. Maybe if we keep it all in one thead we can compile a great list of resources for mommas looking for answers. Good idea?

If you know of any links that provide exceptional information on thryoid problems please post them and I'll continually edit the first post to reflect changes in the list.

#827 ·
i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. my ND started me on Armour Thyroid. So far i have noticed an increase in my energy, and an annoyance at having to take the medicine before i can drink coffee.

i'm trying to eat more raw fruits and veggies and drink tons of water.

my symptoms have included many that are listed.

water retention
brittle hair/nails
sleep distubance
inability to lose weight
mood swings
weird appetite cravings
heavy periods
etc
etc

i think i have been suffering from this for quite some time and just didn't realize it. looking back i can pin-point when it all started. it was during a very stressful time.

anyway, i'm glad to find this thread.

#828 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Does anyone know if the goitrogenic foods like broccoli and cauliflower are OK to eat as long as they are not raw? For some reason I remember reading that somewhere
If you are in healing mode, I wouldn't consume them at all. Once you are healed, then eating them once in a while is what I plan, but not like I used to.

#829 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
kdabbler - As part of everything else you are doing, I would also suggest you get a copy of your lab test results and then check them out for yourself. Look up anything you don't know. This way you can see exactly what she meant by you having "an indicator that I might have an overactive thyroid". I always keep a running spreadsheet of ALL my lab results over time, including the thyroid test results.
Ug. Renewing my subscription to the list here. I was bad and never went for a follow up lab test until my regular physical last week. I guess I thought if I ignored it, it would go away. Now I'm on pins and needles waiting for her to call me back. Getting a letter from the doctor about your lab results is good. Getting a phone call about them is not!

My PCP is sooooooooooo in trouble having me as a patient let me tell you
. I question everything. I hate taking meds unless I deem it best for me and I'm a laymen who works with physicians. She's going to be earning her professorship, let me tell you. (I go to a women's health group that is affiliated with a medical school.)

So I'll see if I can get all my numbers over the phone from her when she calls back this afternoon. The big question is am I hyper? hypo? And would all this change if I stop nursing my 21 mo?

#830 ·
I just started a low dose of Armour a week and a half ago myself. So far, so good. I expect I might need to bump it up in a week or two since it's such a low starter dose, but we will see. I'll be following this thread! It's nice to have a normal amount of energy most days again. And my temps are up, almost to 98.6 some days midafternoon.

#831 ·
Okay, I just read through ALL 42 pages of posts looking for answers. I'm going to a new doctor (naturopath) in 2 days and I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Here are my symptoms since 03/01 (when DS weaned at 8 months):

progressively worsening back pain - mostly upper middle of back. Can no longer wear a bra or underwear or anything even slightly constrictive or sends back into spasms/pain
chronic UTIs - started out every 4 months, then every 3 months, until every 3 days. I go on antibiotics for 6 months, go off and 3-4 days later I get another UTI. 4 different bacterias. They culture them every time.

These are from the stopthethyroidmadness.com list of thyroid symptoms:
*Less stamina than others - I used to be able to walk 3 miles several times a week. Now if I try to do a mile, I come back and my back goes into spasm.
*Long recovery period after any activity - if I start cleaning the house. I fizzle out after about an hour, and can't do anything else
*Inability to hold children for very long - If I do this for more than 5 minutes, I'm done for the day.
*Arms feeling like dead weights after activity - when I held my daughter sleeping at a store the other day - 15 minutes - I put her back in the car, and sat there for 10 minutes because I couldn't move my arms to hold the steering wheel.
*Often feeling cold - unless it's 75 degrees
* Cold hands and feet
* High cholesterol - hovers around 230 no matter what I do for diet. We went on the Omega Diet and my husband's went down 50 points, and mine didn't move.
* Bizarre and Debilitating reaction to exercise - I didn't see this the first time on the list. If I throw the ball for my dog for 5 minutes (like I did yesterday) my back goes into spasm. All exercise (including physical therapy) sends me into more pain
* Hard stools
* Constipation
* Dry Hair
* Dry cracking skin - esp. my heels. My DH tells me to keep my feet away from him.
*Forgetfulness - I have lists all over the house. If only I could find them!
Inability to lose weight -- this one is opposite - I can't gain weight. I'm eating fattier foods than ever - bacon, sausage, coconut oil, and I seem to be losing weight
*NO sex drive - NONE!
* Moody periods -- very snappish
* Excruciating pain during period - No, but it's getting heavier and heavier, and my cycle went from 40-55 days to 27 days, and it goes off and on -- I call it an ellipses (...) instead of a period (.). Literary humor.
*Swelling/edema/puffiness - under eyes and ankles. I've been wearing my husband's socks and they still make indents!
*Aching bones/muscles - this is the worst - constant pain - I'm on lyrica now and it's not doing anything except helping me sleep a little better
* Osteoporosis - the rheumatologist said my bone density test "wasn't good" and put me on 1200mg of calcium
* Breakout on chest and arms -- chest and back and I've never broken out anywhere before
* Inability to stand on feet for long periods
* Complete lack of motivation
* Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others - low tolerance to my children, which I hate
* Handwriting nearly illegible - yes, DH can't even read it anymore.
* Broken/peeling fingernails - I can't grow them at all
* Dry skin or snake skin
*Major anxiety/worry
* Inability to eat in the mornings - I don't usually eat until mid-afternoon and only because I'm "supposed to" not because I'm hungry
* No hair growth, breaks faster than it grows -- esp. notice when shaving legs.
* Joint pain - my knees and hips have been killing me
* Carpal tunnel symptoms - no, but I've had two bouts of tendonitis in the last year with no overuse or injury
* No Appetite
* Blood Pressure problems - very low (like 95/45 - top never goes above 100 unless I'm pregnant)
* Low body temperature - usually 96.8-97.3
* Swollen lymph glands
* now how do I put this one politely….a cold bum, butt, derriere, fanny, gluteus maximus, haunches, hindquarters, posterior, rear, and/or cheeks. Yup, really exists. -- DH noticed this. Weird.

I have multinodular goiter (bunches of them on both sides) and when my thyroid was tested 06/07 at my physical last year TSH was 1.43 and FT4 was 1.1.

I've already been to an acupuncturist (didn't work), 3 physiatrists (3 MRIs - one bulging disk in neck; cortisone shots, muscle stimulation, physical therapy), a rheumatologist (tested me for a lot of autoimmune stuff -- $2000 worth of blood tests), 2 chiropractors, massage therapy (sends my muscles into spasm), 3 urologists (cystoscopy, cystogram, etc.). My allopathic doc thinks the UTIs and back pain are related but can't find a connection. He's tested me for MS and heavy metals. Because my health issues are strange, he'll test me for anything I ask for because nobody has been able to figure out anything.

Does anyone have a clue? Hypothyroid? Something else? It sounds like I might have some of the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue and maybe they overlap.

When I see this new doctor on Friday (which I'm VERY ANXIOUS about) do I just lay it all out on the line, or do I ask for specific tests?

Thank you everyone!

Kathy

#832 ·
Kathy, quick question before naptime (ours, I mean). How did your doc test for heavy metals? Because mercury from my fillings is part of my adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism and I get the impression that my experience isn't atypical. Gotta run, kids really need nap (and so do I).

#833 ·
It was my regular allopath doctor who did the testing - I think Mercury and Lead at least. It was a blood test. I have 9 fillings (I think) plus a crown. But I read a lot about the filling thing and most people weren't really helped by it. It was one of the UTI theories that came up empty for me.

#834 ·
The fillings may not be your problem, but a blood test isn't the way to check for metals. Metals mostly settle into tissues pretty quickly after exposure, so for a little kid who's eating lead paint chips, it works, but if the exposure was a while back (just a few months), it doesn't work so much. Since the problem with mercury is the exposure over time, there's not a lot circulating at any one point, but it's just accumulating.

If you want to look into that, I'd recommend a hair test using the Andy Cutler approach to interpretation (more info on this site):
http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html

#835 ·
Hi there,
I'm looking for some advice. I posted a while back when I was first diagnosed with hashi's and was given some good counsel.

My levels are all good now and I've achieved that via diet (no soy, no wheat, limited organic dairy etc), a low dose of thyroxine and a stack of supplements including selenium and tyrosine. My TSH is just under 2 and my T3 and T4 are looking great too. I'm not sure that I feel a million bucks yet but I'm feeling so much better than I did 6 months ago. I don't have adrenal fatigue.

I've been TTC'ing for a while now and I'm starting to get distressed even though my doctor and naturopath are pretty nonchalant about the whole affair. Mostly my concern is with my temps. They are pretty low - well below the *thyroid alert* low of 36.4 (97.5), most of the time. You can see my charts for yourself via the link in my sig. I have had all my hormones tested and was pinning hope on my progesterone being low because I figured that was pretty easy to remedy. My progesterone is great - 38.5 during my luteal phase. All my hormones are, in fact, perfect.

So, do you think I'm paranoid and just need to be patient with TTC or do you think I should still be concerned that my thyroid is causing TTC problems?

I know I haven't been trying for years or anything but 7 months is a very long time to an impatient aries like me.

TIA for any advice.

#836 ·
Wow! This is a looooooong thread!

So, I've been TTC for a long time and stumbled onto this Thyroid possibility.

Here are my symptoms...

fatigue/lack of energy
brittle nails with easily seen ridges
leg/muscle cramps
short luteal phase
weight gain
feel cold easily
low basal temp
some breaking out on upper arms, occasionally on chest
I have Emphysema which is very similar to Asthma

So, after reading up a bit about Thyroid problems, I went and bought some iodine to take the skin test I read about.

I put about a quarter size circle of iodine on my stomache at about 7pm. It is now 9:30pm and I can barely see it!! The yellow is really, really pale! The directions for the test said to see if it had faded in 24 hours. If it had, you have a Thyroid problem. It's been less than three hours! Do any of you think this test is at all accurate???

I decided to start taking Selenium, as it is an antioxident and can help with my Emphysema even if I don't need it for my Thyroid.

How else can I diagnose myself? I do not have health insurance, so I can't afford to go to doctors right now.

BTW my mother was diagnosed with a Thyroid issue and was extremely obese, though she ate small meals.

What do you all think? Thyroid problem?

#837 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
Wow! This is a looooooong thread!

So, I've been TTC for a long time and stumbled onto this Thyroid possibility.

Here are my symptoms...

fatigue/lack of energy
brittle nails with easily seen ridges
leg/muscle cramps
short luteal phase
weight gain
feel cold easily
low basal temp
some breaking out on upper arms, occasionally on chest
I have Emphysema which is very similar to Asthma

So, after reading up a bit about Thyroid problems, I went and bought some iodine to take the skin test I read about.

I put about a quarter size circle of iodine on my stomache at about 7pm. It is now 9:30pm and I can barely see it!! The yellow is really, really pale! The directions for the test said to see if it had faded in 24 hours. If it had, you have a Thyroid problem. It's been less than three hours! Do any of you think this test is at all accurate???

I decided to start taking Selenium, as it is an antioxident and can help with my Emphysema even if I don't need it for my Thyroid.

How else can I diagnose myself? I do not have health insurance, so I can't afford to go to doctors right now.

BTW my mother was diagnosed with a Thyroid issue and was extremely obese, though she ate small meals.

What do you all think? Thyroid problem?
Sounds pretty thyroid-y to me. Selenium, tyrosine and iodine are the big 3 supplements for thyroid. Get yourself on some kind of regimen with those 3 and see how you feel in 4 weeks time.

#838 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Sounds pretty thyroid-y to me. Selenium, tyrosine and iodine are the big 3 supplements for thyroid. Get yourself on some kind of regimen with those 3 and see how you feel in 4 weeks time.
Thanks!

How are you doing with TTC? I've been taking Vitex and my O feels stronger, if that makes sense.

#839 ·
Hey mamas,
I had my thyroid tested a little (TSH, free T4, free t3) back in September because of some other issues I was having. For over a year I've been having symptoms that scream hypothyroid to me, but I was told my results were normal.

I'm seeing a doctor this week who has a reputation for treating symptoms rather than strictly bloodwork. I'm really excited about that, but I thought I'd ask here...

What does it mean if all of the numbers are at the low end of normal, and you're having hypo symptoms?? I know if TSH is high, that means hypo, but mine look like this:

TSH .48 (range .4-4.5)
fT3 2.87 (range 2.4-4.2)
fT4 .75 (range .56-1.64)

When I had these done, I had been taking a supplement called Thyodine sporadically, including a dose a day or two before the test was done. I'm going to tell the doctor, because maybe he'll want to do them over again...

ETA: A month or so ago I was dosing myself with strong licorice infusion and I felt pretty good - able to sleep at night, energy during the day- but I stopped because you're not really supposed to take it tonically. Hmm...

#840 ·
I finally went to the doctors today and he switched me from Synthroid to Amour. I start it tomorrow. He gave me a split dose. I'm so excited and hope that I get the results that I have been hoping for. I've heard that you can usually feel the difference in a matter of days. Here's hoping!

#841 ·
Yipe! I subbed to this thread a while ago, but never actually sat down to read it - I'll have to do that over the weekend/next week - but I was hoping you ladies could eyeball my results....
I'm TTC'ing (if that matters) and I've been more or less
'ed at by every doc I've gone to - the RE told me 'I'm looking at your neck, and I don't see a goiter', and even with the little bit I know about thyroid issues now, I KNOW that having/not having a goiter is not the endall/be-all of dianosing thyroid.

Anywhooo....

t3Total: 117
t3Uptake: 32
freeT4: 1.1
t4Total: 7.7
freeT4Total: 2.5
TSH: 1.90

Sorry I don't have units, but it was like pulling teeth actually getting the numbers from my doc and not just 'the results were normal'. Murph.

#842 ·
I usually am on the Adrenal thread but I thought you mama's could help me sort this out. I just did a ZRT test for my adrenals and thyroid and can't understand whats going on with my thyroid (andmy adrenals, but that's another thread). Here's what my abs have been with the most current at the bottom. The far numbers on the right with the **'s next
to them are in reference to Dr. Rinds scale.

12/2006 (NO MEDS)
WESTCLIFF LABS
TSH 1.069 (Range 0.350-5.50) **-2
FT4 0.99 (Range 0.80-1.80) **-3
FT3 2.7 (Range 2.3-4.2) **-3

07/2007 (NO MEDS)
WESTCLIFF LABS
TSH 2.894 (03.50-5.50) **+3
FT3 2.4 (2.3-4.2) **-5

11/2007 (ON ADRENALS, IODORAL, MAYBE T3 MEDS BUT JUST STARTED IF SO)
QUEST LABS
TSH 2.18 (0.40-4.50) **+1
FT3 2.46 (2.30-4.20) **-5

03/2008 (ON ISOCORT, IODORAL AND T3, BUT STOPPED ADRENAL FOR 4 WEEKS
BEFORE TEST)
ZRT-BLOODSPOT
TSH 0.7 (0.5-3.0) **-4
FT4 1.0 (0.7-2.5) **-2
FT3 1.9 (2.5-6.5) **-7 TO -8

It just seems as if I am going the wrong way when I place them on Dr.
Rinds thyroid scale. PLease help!

Just in case it matters here are my adrenals and hormones:
My old labs from last July are on the left with "quotation marks around them". The new labs are to the right of the old ones and have **stars** around them. Then after
that is the ranges.

Hormone Test "6/29/2007" **3/14/2008** Units Range

Estradiol (saliva) "1.7 Ok" **1.8 Ok** pg/ml 1.3-3.3 Premenopausal
(Luteal)

Progesterone (saliva) "63 L" **49 L** pg/ml 75-270 Premenopausal
(Luteal)

Ratio: Pg/E2 (saliva) "37 L" **27 L** Optimal: 100-500 when E2 1.3-

Testosterone (saliva) "43 Ok" **31 Ok** pg/ml 16-55 (Age Dependent)

DHEAS (saliva) "3.7 Ok" **5.5 Ok** ng/ml 2-23 (Age Dependent)

Cortisol Morning (saliva) "3.4 L" **7.8 Ok** ng/ml 3.7-9.5

Cortisol Noon (saliva)"no old" **0.8 L** ng/ml 1.2-3.0

Cortisol Evening (saliva)"no old" **1.9 Ok** ng/ml 0.6-1.9

Cortisol Night (saliva) "0.1 L" **0.3 L** ng/ml 0.4-1.0

>>>>

Free T4 (blood spot) **1.0 Ok** ng/dL 0.7-2.5

Free T3 (blood spot) **1.9 L** pg/ml 2.5-6.5

TSH (blood spot) **0.7 Ok** uU/ml 0.5-3.0

TPO (blood spot) **21 Ok** IU/ml 0-150 (70-150 borderline)

---I've been on Isocort since last August (4 in the am, 2 in the
afternoon), and T3 meds since last November. Still nursing, but
dunno if that changes things. And was taking Iodoral but stopped in
February. Also take vitamin c, magnesium, probiotics, cod liver oil, sea salt, post natal, iron sometimes, and b's.
Please let me know what you think.

#843 ·
Shannyshan, your Free T3 is way too low IMHO. Maybe you need more T3. Has your Dr. upped your dosage after seeing the results? Your morning cortisol went up nicely though.

We are in similar boats although I started Armour for my free T3 and am still taking Iodoral.

Just my 2 cents.... Seems like you need more T3. Why did you go off the iodoral? Maybe it would help your body use the thyroid more effectively. I'm not an expert though. Do you have a good Dr. ?

--Kelly

#844 ·
Hi everyone!

I was just diagnosed with Grave's Disease. My blood labs were in the normal ranges, except for the antibodies which were crazy high. But on doing an RAI the scan showed homogenous elevated uptake.

I am on a beta blocker for management of symptoms, and just went to the endocrinologist for the first time today. He said that even though my bloodwork was in the normal range, it might not be normal for ME, so to just disregard it sort of and look at the other stuff. I go back in 10 days to discuss treatment options - radiation or medication.

My question is, does anyone have experience with one of the other? He is leaning towards meds, but since I already have a low WBC and am anemic said I may not tolerate them well. Plus they just seem scary to me. I want to just to the radiation and get it over with, but he said most people don't want to do that. I know both options suck. I was just wondering if there was a consensus on which would be best tolerated and have the least amount of side effects for me in the long run.

#845 ·
Hi All ~

I was wondering if any of you ave heard of or tried LDN for auto-immune thyroid disorders (Hashi's & Grave's)???

I've been reading yp on it and it's pretty interesting.

This is the LDN site:
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

And Elaine Moore has some articles :

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.co...ose_naltrexone

It looks like a promising treatment for pppl w/ MS, fybro, and all types of autoimmune disorders.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried it for thyroiditis?

#846 ·
I just wanted to chime in here and say hi!!

I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism yesterday. FINALLY I found a Dr. who is AWESOME and went beyond testing just TSH and tested my T3 levels as well, which were ridiculously low.

Anywhooo, after feeling like crap for 15 years, I am excited to have finally started on Armour Thyroid, 60mg (for now) this morning. I'll go back in 6 weeks and have my blood tested again.

I just wish all my other doctors would have listened to me years ago.
: I knew my thyroid was out of whack based on my symptoms, but they would only test my TSH levels, which were and still are normal, and then send me off with a Rx for an antidepressant and basically telling me to get over it. *sigh*

I'll write more later about my story, all my symptoms etc etc.

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself!

#848 ·
i just got diagnosed hypo (finally!) and the doctor wrote me a perscription for armour as well as sold me some thytrophin to try. has anyone else used thytrophin? she said if i didn't like it then i could go ahead and get the armour scrip filled. i'm just curious if there's much difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.