The Thyroid Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#241 of 1016 Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well first let me start by saying my doc is LAZY. Wont see me for my thyroid, wont take my blood like my endo was(told me that the 100mcg of Levothyroxine was a good dose for me: ). Then let me tell you my story:
First diagnosed with Graves when I was 5 mo preg with DD. Put on PTU cause we found that the Graves was what was causing me to lose all my babies before(had 6 unsuccessful preg until DD which was #7). Changed the PTU to Levo in my 7th mo(which was about a week before I delivered at 31 weeks). Then I went to another endo pp(insurance changed). He told me I now have Hashimoto's. And kept me on the Levo at about 75mcg. Then periodically checked my blood(every 4 weeks) and I wound up at 100mcg's of the Levo now.
So I stopped seeing my endo cause it was a really rough long drive with a screaming toddler in my backseat for 45min there and 45 min home every 4 weeks. BIG MISTAKE, I totally need to see an endo again cause my Hashimoto's symptoms are getting worse. I gained 20lbs(nothing has changed and I am even exercising more), and I am hungry all night and cant eat at all during the day, my cramps have gotten HORENDOUS, my thyroid is swollen up huge, and I jsut have all the wonderful symptoms that are telling me that I need to be re-evaled.
So that is my fun tale to tell. I have to get my doc straightened out so I can get my thyriod under control.
Let me just say this thread is GREAT!! It is great to meet other moms who have thyriod problems too. Sometimes its soo hard to explain why I have such a hard time having a baby since no one understands, but YALL DO
So
and I will be around here awhile..

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 1016 Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Sandra,
I was just dx'd with hypo today. I feel devastatedas I have been working ith a naturopath for years and this has gone under his radar somehow. I want to know.....do you feel betternow? Is there hope?
Patti
#243 of 1016 Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 AM

I just stumbled across this thread. I don't know if anyone can answer this for me, but my TSH has been only slightly elevated for two years now (6.5), and my T4 is normal. My mother has been hypothyroid since having me at age 25, and my TSH became elevated after having twins at age 35 - so there is definately a family history. I've been having some irregular bleeding, but I also have PCOS, so it is entirely possible that my thyroid has nothing to do with it. Still, I think that my doctor wants to medicate me to bring my TSH down, even though I am otherwise asymptomatic for hypothyroid. I'm so confused as to why this makes any sense!
#244 of 1016 Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

I just found this thread! I was dx with postpartum thyroiditis in April, DD was 3 months at the time. My dentist actually was the first to suggest hyperthyroid when I had a reaction to the epinephrine in the numbing shots. My TSH was 0.02 (ref. .4-5.5) and my T4 was 2.5 (ref. .8 -1.8). This was about a month ago. My labs from last week were apparently "worse" because they called to see if I had weaned yet (!!) because I am still very hyper and they think I might not be postpartum thyroiditis after all. I sent them a long email with the info from kellymom.com about what hyper meds and which isotopes are best if doing the RAIU scan are approved for use in a nursing mom. She (my endo) had previously stated that all hyper meds and scans were incompatible with breastfeeding and that I would not be able to treat the hyper while I was nursing. Despite this, she was actually very supportive of my nursing and encourged me to just wait and see if the thyroid levels began to normalize as I get further from the post-partum period. Any words of wisdom as I enter this breastfeeding/hyper path? My ds is only 4 months, I nursed DD to 2 1/2 years! I can't fathom weaning anytime soon and told my endo the earliest I could possible consider is at a year (Jan 08). Thoughts?

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#245 of 1016 Old 05-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Carrie, no personal experience (with hyper), but there are alternative ways to deal with thyroid problems. Various alternative-type medical people (some MDs, some like naturopaths or people who do acupuncture) treat thyroid problems in a different way. One place to look to see it from a nutrition standpoint is ithyroid.com. The writer became hyperthyroid and, being pretty nutrition and research-oriented, looked into minerals/vitamins. I did that approach for hypothyroid (both are covered in the website) and felt better, but now I'm working with a professional because I think there are a couple other things going on as well (not because of that, I think they were concurrent and now that the coldness and brain fog are better, I can see what's left). Anyway, I just wanted to say that there are alternative approaches that have helped people, and hopefully there's one out there that's compatible with breastfeeding. Take care.
#246 of 1016 Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
I was dx with postpartum thyroiditis in April, DD was 3 months at the time.
Hugs to you mama... I went through something similar.

First let me tell you that in my case, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease when I got pregnant. I was hypo then but the endo told me that I could go hyper after the delivery. And that happened. So when DS was 3 months my TSH was like yours close to 0. They took me off synthroid but didn't put me on anything else because the endo knew that I would eventually go back to hypo. And it happened. 4 weeks later my TSH jumped to 97. So I was put back on synthroid.

I breastfed the whole time (although my endo said to stop doing it while I was hyper even though I wasn't taking any meds). I'm glad I didn't wean.

So my point is that you might want to see if you have thyroid antibodies (Hashimotos). If you do, then you might only be hyper for a while and then turn hypo. It's common to fluctuate from one to the other.

I just started seeing a DO that is very much into alternative medicine and he did a bunch of test to see what's behind all this. Candida, lack of certain minerals or vitamins...

Let me know how you do.
#247 of 1016 Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leersia View Post
I just stumbled across this thread. I don't know if anyone can answer this for me, but my TSH has been only slightly elevated for two years now (6.5), and my T4 is normal. My mother has been hypothyroid since having me at age 25, and my TSH became elevated after having twins at age 35 - so there is definately a family history. I've been having some irregular bleeding, but I also have PCOS, so it is entirely possible that my thyroid has nothing to do with it. Still, I think that my doctor wants to medicate me to bring my TSH down, even though I am otherwise asymptomatic for hypothyroid. I'm so confused as to why this makes any sense!
I've done a lot of research into PCOS for a dear friend. The more I research hypothyroidism, the more I think it could be one of the root causes of PCOS.

The thyroid is "the master gland" it literally effects every cell in the body as well as your hormone production. Thyroid problems can indeed influence menses.

A TSH of 6.5 is not really mildly elevated when the new standard is that you should be under 3.
#248 of 1016 Old 05-20-2007, 04:03 PM

Is anyone doing high iodine supplementation?

12.5mg/day for example. This site is a must read:
http://www.iodine4health.com/
#249 of 1016 Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Hi, I'm subbing...
I've got something going on that I suspect is involving my thyroid, adrenals, estrogen/progesterone balance or something like that, lol. I'm planning to see a doctor for a blood test. I have a lot of the hypo symptoms like eczema, thinning hair, weight gain and remaining overweight despite eating healthy foods in healthy amounts and getting exercise, fatigue, rage, low body temp (my normal is about 97.6 or so), new floaters in my vision, low-level depression, allergies, the itchy ear thing, but also including things like whiplash injury and high exposure to fluoride (my dentist took a look at my teeth and asked "where did you grow up???")

It seems to run in my family, my grandma had osteoporosis and my mom's TSH always comes out on the low end of normal, but she continues to have symptoms anyway. Apparently the supplement Thyodine has been very helpful for her, gets her up to the middle of normal and most symptoms disappear (although the hair hasn't grown back...but she is in her 60s). I'm thinking about starting Thyodine myself. Has anybody here tried that one? I'm also going to go back on vitex tincture for the progesterone issues.

This thread has been very informative, thank you all
#250 of 1016 Old 05-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Thyodine is not by px?

Contains glandulars: "thyroid (100 mg)"

Is that equivalent to Armour?
#251 of 1016 Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM

Hera- A lot of your symptoms sound so much like mine! Thinning hair, weight gain/unable to lose despite eating healthier than ever, low body temp, eye floaters (big time), mood swings, low level depression, etc. I had blood work done and TSH was 3 something, so I didn't get a prescription but I know something's not right. I've also been doing natural progesterone cream to try and balance hormones. What is the vitex tincture?

I've been researching over the counter thyroid supplements, and from what I understand they have to take out the thyroxine (T4) but they do have some T3, which is what I think I need. Most of them don't explicitly say they contain T3, so they must not be allowed to label it as such. I found one brand at my local health food store, so I've been taking it almost 2 weeks. I can't tell any difference yet, but it may take a while to get things going.

I've been so frustrated by all my symptoms and not getting any answers from a doctor! : This thread has been the best information I've found so far.
#252 of 1016 Old 05-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutemandolin View Post
I've also been doing natural progesterone cream to try and balance hormones. What is the vitex tincture?
Vitex doesn't actually contain any hormone-like chemicals (like dong quai or angelica, for example...those have phytoestrogens) but stimulates the pituitary. I've taken it in combination with motherwort before, after my first dd was born to get my cycle back regular, but in germany they use motherwort for hyperthyroid so I'm going to omit it this time.
#253 of 1016 Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

I just found this thread too. Glandulars have to have all hormone content removed, otherwise they have to be sold as a "drug" with a prescription, from what I understand.

I have been progressively hypo-thyroid for almost 10 years now. Finally this past year I decided it was time to pay more attention to this health condition that I had so far been neglecting. I had to switch to a new endocrinologist to get my anti-body levels checked (they are high = 495). The first one said "it doesn't matter whether or not you have antibodies, because the treatment is the same." Sigh. Then I started seeing a naturopath to get another perspective on this whole thyroid condition. She told me that in her experience, people with auto-immune issues often have some undiagnosed food allergies (often to a common allergen), so she recommended testing for me. It came back hugely positive to all forms of dairy, as well as eggs. This is interesting to me, because in the past year I had greatly increased my consumption of eggs and dairy, going to great lengths to find high quality sources of these foods. I had a difficult time balancing my thyroid meds post-partum (my TSH went up to 34 at 3 months pp and I was a zombie). My dose was finally increased to 200mcg at which point my TSH came down to 0.4. So apparently I have pretty much no more functioning thyroid gland (something I didn't know prior to my research). I am hoping that by eliminating my allergens, my antibody levels will calm down a bit.

The naturopath also suggested running an ANA blood test to screen for other auto-immune conditions (you are more likely to have others when you have one). Mine came back positive with high antibody concentrations so I was referred to a rheumatologist. I am still waiting for the bloodwork results from him for lupus testing although I have no other overt symptoms of concern.

Also, my 4year old ds was also very recently diagnosed to have hashimoto's. His TSH was 6.1, and he was positive for antibodies as well. He just had allergy testing done, and we are waiting for his results. I'm guessing he has a similar allergy profile to me since we both have the same auto-immune disease going on.
#254 of 1016 Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Is anyone doing high iodine supplementation?

12.5mg/day for example. This site is a must read:
http://www.iodine4health.com/
I am.

I started taking Iodoral (12.5 every other day) with Selenium and T3 (Cytomel) about a year ago when tests showed antibodies and low-functioning thyroid (I ordered tests at 6 mos pp when I was miserable!).

I'm not sure which of these, or combination of, worked but something did help for a few months. I slowly weaned myself off T3 and the stress of life took over and I stopped taking care of myself again and everything got worse.

I just recently (6 weeks) started taking a high-quality (not Rx) prenatal in a.m. and the iodoral and additional 100mg of Selenium in p.m. and I feel incredibly better. I have also added in the last couple weeks: Evening Primrose Oil, Cod Liver Oil (which I had already been taking when I remembered to, but am doing every day now), and Vitex tincture.

My reasons for these supplements is from various articles/conversations and my gut instinct that told me my hormones were out of whack and that I was probably deficient in certain vitamins and/or minerals (like VitB, D, copper, selenium, zinc...) that added to a system breakdown and snowball effect

Unfortunately, I can't afford any tests--but I am really curious as to where I am at. Symptom-wise, I feel much, much better and have a lot of energy (but bordering on having trouble sleeping) and have lost weight. My PMS is still awful but I am hoping the EPO and Vitex will help with that. My concern is I hope I have not gone hyper! Maybe I am just where I need to be and my insomnia is just due to the stress in my life. I hope, I hope, I hope. I am so sick of being sick! :
#255 of 1016 Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit View Post
I just found this thread too. Glandulars have to have all hormone content removed, otherwise they have to be sold as a "drug" with a prescription, from what I understand.
I can't find anything to support this by googling, can you?

ETA OK, I re-read flutemandolin's post and googled again. Yes, she's right. They have T3 but not T4.

This supplement I'm taking has iodine from dulse and bladderwrack, as well as selenium and L-Tyrosine which is a T4 precursor. I've only taken it for two days so I can't say I see much of a difference, plus I've been much better about remembering my multivitamin (rainbow life) and the fish oil and probiotics. I haven't managed to track down any vitex locally yet, one more place to try before I order it.

Oddly enough my big floater is much, much smaller today. I didn't realize that those ever went away. Cool. I don't know if it has anything to do with the supplements, but I've had it for 2 or 3 months now. Overall, my eyesight seems much better. Colors are more saturated. I'm very happy about that.
#256 of 1016 Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post
Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed at 13. Fortunately my mom noticed my goiter. This may also explain why I was such a late bloomer.

Symptom that led to diagnosis: Goiter
Treatment: I have been taking Synthroid since I was 15. I love my endo and have been seeing him since I was 13.

Other symptoms:
I have always had skin that leads towards dry.
Menstral Cycle when not on the pill was 28-31 days.
I used to always feel cold but after my first child that problem has gone away. I think I am peri-menopausal.
I chalk up my fatigue and lack of concentration to motherhood more than my thyroid.
Appetite: I feel hungry alot but my appetite did decrease when my dosage was changed at my last blood test.

Pill count: I have to order my pills by mail in order to get the 90 day count. It is so the insurance companies can earn more dollars.
This is just about the same as my story, tho I was diagnosed at age 12. We went on a family car trip for 3 weeks across the Southern and Eastern US, and I slept pretty much the whole way. My dad is a doctor, so he figured something was up and had me tested when we got home. I grew 3 inches and got my first period in the few months after I started taking Synthroid.

Now I take Levoxyl and Cytomel. The Cytomel seems to have made a big difference for me and my levels are very stable now, even when I was pregnant I did not need any adjustments. Before I added Cytomel I was more tired and foggy feeling. I also think I am perimenopausal and I am not as prone to being cold as I used to be.

The only way to get a full year's supply of your meds is to pay cash for them. Sometimes you can file with your insurance at the end of the year and get reimbursed, less copay amounts. Insurance won't pay for more than 30-90 days at a time in case you drop them. They don't want to lose money.
#257 of 1016 Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leersia View Post
Hi! I just found this thread.

I thought I read somewhere about hypothyroidism and PCOS being possibly related in some way, in some cases? I'll have to find it if I can.

My TSH has been only slightly elevated as well, since having my son 15mos ago. I had it tested because of how I was feeling and I was at 4.55. It was knocking me on my rear in all ways including new weight issues, even though I wasn't above a 5!
I have a doctor who agreed to see my printed papers with me regarding the newer levels to go by and put me on a low dose of synthroid. I have felt so much better!
I went through 4 miscarriages before having my little guy and I do suspect my thyroid levels for helping that happen too but I don't remember what my levels were and back then, I didn't know about the "new" range so I just thought all was okay there. I'll have to get access to my records to read what they were.

I've also read that if you are subclinical, you have a higher potential to actually become hypo in the future. That definately made me want to keep this under control and also I wanted to feel better.
#258 of 1016 Old 05-25-2007, 10:04 PM

Just found this thread today! I haven't been able to read all the posts, skipped and skimmed most, as I am very excited to find support.

Diagnosed Aug. 06 at 5 months PP as I went in to dr. b/c I was sick with just a cold or something to the such. She found my thyroid to be enlarged, ran all the tests, and came back Hypothyroid caused by Hashimoto's. She referred me to an endicrinologist.

That's when I started doing research & found my symptoms as the following:

extreme exhaustion - thought it was mommyhood (first child)
hair falling out - thought it was PP
tingling feet -
memory loss - this had been going on during preg.
brain fog - horrible!
libido - none, still none to this day too
depressed/sad/anxious -
weight gain - was fine at the time but now I'm having a HARD time losing weight despite working out & eating healthy
Menstrual cycle - light flow, start spotting about 5 -7 days before my actual period so we're talking 2 weeks every 2 weeks. Prior to preg., I had OB diagnose me with a shortened luteul phase due to lack of progesterone, which she suggested for me to use the P. cream from Whole Foods. It totally worked & I had regular periods with no spotting and got preg. the first try. Now, I'm 15 mo. PP and am back to the 2 week/2 week cycle. I haven't tried the cream again b/c I'm nursing.

I'm on Synthroid and I've had several people say do not get on the generic. I'm interested in hearing more about Armour, although, Synthroid has really helped my symptoms and hormone levels.

Questions
- for Hera & Flutemandolin & anyone else who knows...

What's this about FLOATERS???? I did develop one in my left eye during pregnancy but now you're saying it's related to the thyroid???

What about this itchy ear thing? A month ago, my ears became really red & itchy...almost rashy or bumpy. Is that what you are talking about? I also have had an itchy scalp a couple of weeks after that. (Although that time period correlates when I tried taking Juice Plus.)

Thanks so much for starting this tribe!!

Wife to Chris, Mama to Cade (4) & Kenslea (15mo)
CD(DONA)
#259 of 1016 Old 05-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Continuing my research on iodine, this is an excellent site recommended by my holistic registered dietician (who also has Hashimoto's)

http://www.helpmythyroid.com/iodine.htm
#260 of 1016 Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Hi -- I wanted to sub to this thread and introduce myself. I'm not a Mom yet, but we're starting to work on that . I have long suspected I have a thyroid problem and will be making an appt to get this checked out.

It all started three years ago right after I got married. One of the most stressful semesters of my entire life ended, I got married, and during the honeymoon it was like my body went haywire. Starving, moody, completely indecisive... I chalked it up to hypoglycemia (I've never been tested for it, but diet modifications seem to keep it under control).

About a year later, my very regular period went wonky on me and I bled for about 10 days. I went to an ARNP associated with the OB clinic at my hospital, where they tested for hypothyroid (I have no idea what tests were run or what levels were) and came back 'fine' and was put on the pill to regulate my period (which retrospectively is really silly). I did some online research and wondered if I had adrenal fatigue or exhaustion from all the stress in the last year. The symptoms that I worried about have continued (will list below).

I stayed on the pill for 7 months but then quit because I hated the way it made me feel and wanted to know my body again. Since then I have ovulated regularly and have a healthy LP, but my bbt is low (96-97). I want to get pregnant fast once we start trying so I want to see if my thyroid might get in the way.

Anyway, here are my symptoms...

- Consistently low energy, easily fatigued, sleep plenty at night but don't feel rested next day. Nap more.
- Gained about 30 lbs in last 3 years. I have attributed this to very heavy drinking, but I am now 7 months sober and have not lost the weight.
- Hypoglycemic symptoms. I'm not sure if I'm "clinically" hypoglycemic, but by following the diet mods suggested for hypo (no white sugars/refined carbs, protein with every meal, eat every 4 hours or so) I do pretty well. My symptoms seem to get a lot worse with stress or PMS.
- Inability to concentrate, generally flaky/foggy. This seems worse and worse since I started graduate school 3 years ago. Up until now I've been a top notch student, but my motivation and ability to focus is terrible. I have attributed this to depression in the past.
- Intense mood swings. I am very, very irritable, and my mood turns on a dime from content to malaise to annoyance to weepy. This is worse around PMS. I'm very impatient and pissy. Generally I feel like I did when I was 11/12 and going through the worst of puberty. I HATE IT! GO AWAY PUBERTY! BTDT! <-- See?? Moody! :
- My feet and hands fall asleep easily, even if only slightly elevated. This problem has become a lot worse in recent years... I can't sit with my legs folded or on the floor, and can't have my hands up by my chest if I'm sleeping.
- Periods are regular and I seem to be ovulating, but bbt is low (96-97 generally, rarely breaking 98). Horrendous cramps during period, heavy flow first 2 days, and mild nausea (and attendant moodiness). PMS worsening but not AWFUL.

I found a local doc on that site that recommends thyroid docs. I will call Monday and hopefully make an appointment. I've been wondering lately if I had a sex hormone imbalance (like estrogen dominance), but maybe all of these things are tied together through my thyroid and the screening they did 3 years ago was just TSH. I plan to go in and ask for a full spectrum of tests... I don't want to drag this out, if I have thyroid problems I want to get it figured out so I can have a baby and not drive my husband insane!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#261 of 1016 Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM

chicmama - re: synthroid, that is what I am on, and it works great for me, but a lot of people do use Armour. Armour is a natural hormone and Synthroid is synthetic. I am not sure that there is a 'generic' thyroid med, but there are different brands, and I think the big issue is that once you get titrated on one, you shouldn't just switch to a different brands w/o having your levels checked and being re-titrated, if needed (this is because subtle differences in the formulations among the synthetics can cause larger differences in their effect on your body)

smokeylo - I think it is a good idea to get the full panel (they'll do sex hormones too) before trying to get PG, especially since hypo is associated with increased risk of miscarriage. Also because it will give you a baseline to compare if you need to get re-tested after having a baby (since pregnancy can cause your thyroid function to change drastically)

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#262 of 1016 Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 AM

Smokeylo-Some of your symptoms really do sound like adrenal issues. But it's very possible to have both thyroid and adrenal problems at the same time. I don't know how much MDs diagnose adrenal problems--I am getting the impression that it's more for alternative-type medical people. After getting a hypothyroid problem under control this year, and yet still not feeling right (my body temp went up, from the 95-96F range, to the 97F range, yet my normal used to be 98.6), and seeing what looked like estrogen/progesterone imbalances, and still being tired (just not as tired as I used to be), I found someone (in my case, someone who does acupuncture and nutrition/supplement type stuff) who I'm working with on the adrenal stuff. For me, it's bad enough that I know I couldn't get pregnant now if I wanted to (my LP is only 6 days at the moment, and it used to be ~14d), but all my stuff hit me during my pregnancy. Wow, I felt miserable. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (well, maybe my worst, but only when I'm feeling vengeful), so I think looking into everything and making sure you feel really good are really important before TTC. I hope you get answers that satisfy you.

Not sure if you've done other reading, but low-level hypothyroidism is also associated with lower IQs in the baby, and can make pregnancy miserable--nausea/vomiting throughout the pregnancy, horrible fatigue, things like that. I remember the nausea/vomiting because I had it throughout my 2nd pregnancy, but not my first, and, well, yuck.

For me, I've gone the alternative route and I'm not taking prescription medicine (for the thyroid or the adrenal, although my acupuncturist says the adrenal problem may be bad enough that she'll find someone locally who can prescribe glandular meds--depends on how I feel with the supplements she's recommended), so you have options. Depends on which way feels right to you. Good luck.
#263 of 1016 Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Tanya, Thanks for your insights. I plan to do that eye test thing to see if I do have an adrenal issue. I'll see a GP next week to get some bloodwork done, but if it's inconclusive or clearly not my thyroid, I'll find a holistic practitioner for some advice about dealing with the adrenal issue. Whatever the deal is, I hope it becomes clearer after my appt with the GP so I can have a course of action, feel better, and be comfortable trying to get pregnant.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#264 of 1016 Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM

There was an online questionnaire, I found it by googling 'adrenal fatigue mild moderate severe'. Um.. here's the link below. I took it after I talked with the chiro and acupuncturist, and it made some things clearer--like oh, the way I feel in x, y, and z ways is all related. It never occurred to me that I had any problem other than the thyroid, so when I didn't feel better, I was slow on the uptake that I should keep looking (and being slow if I were hoping to get pregnant soon would be a real drag).

http://fallonpharmacy.com/adrenaltest.pdf
#265 of 1016 Old 05-31-2007, 12:31 AM

Tanya,
Thank you thank you thank you! I did the "eye test" and took this quiz today. I definitely failed the eye test - pupils were going haywire (but I'm not sure how valid this test is?). On the quiz, I scored moderate adrenal fatigue with severe severity (if that makes sense... not experiencing tons of symptoms, but those I have are very strong).

I have an appointment on Monday to have my thyroid checked, and if that isn't the source of the problem then I will start working on adrenal fatigue as the problem. What sorts of care providers do any of you consult to deal with adrenal fatigue? I'm open to complementary/alternative medicine but haven't ever seen someone. I live in a pretty crunchy town so I'm sure I could find someone, I just want to hear others' experiences.

Thanks again!

#266 of 1016 Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 AM

Hi - I actually haven't been on this thread since January. Been so busy with work and traveling that I can't seem to get anythign done.

At that time I was swtiched from Syntroid to Armour (my levels were normal on Synthroid but I just didn't feel right). Lukily I have a great GP who recommended Armour. I also had extremely low Iron levels so I am on iron supplements as well (but you are not supposed to take them at the same time).

Well, its been a few months but I still feel great. Even though I still wake 2-3 times a night with my daughter I am not nearly as bad (sypmtoms wise) as I was a few months ago. I just wanted to let everyone know how much being switched to Armour helped out w/the hypo symptoms I was still feeling.

Good luck to everyone!
#267 of 1016 Old 05-31-2007, 10:53 PM

Hi Smokeylo, I don't have a wide repertoire of alternative care providers. I'm seeing someone who does acupuncture and nutritional/herbal supplements, and the chiropractor seemed comfortable with treating it as well, but I had to choose between the two and I chose the acupuncturist (my first time with acupuncture, but I've got to say wow, it's strange but I like it).

I get the impression that a lot of different types of alternative care providers are able to deal with it, and it's a matter of a) finding one you like and can talk easily with, and b) liking their approach. If I were looking (and I may be soon, my acupuncture lady is moving away : ) I'd go to Finding Your Tribe and either search old threads or start a new one asking about alternative care in general and adrenal stuff in particular.

There are at least a couple other threads on adrenal fatigue and some really knowledgeable folks. I'm really new with it (but starting to feel better, earlier than I expected), so I'm not the best resource. Good luck!
#268 of 1016 Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp03 View Post
At that time I was swtiched from Syntroid to Armour (my levels were normal on Synthroid but I just didn't feel right). Lukily I have a great GP who recommended Armour. I also had extremely low Iron levels so I am on iron supplements as well (but you are not supposed to take them at the same time).

Well, its been a few months but I still feel great. Even though I still wake 2-3 times a night with my daughter I am not nearly as bad (sypmtoms wise) as I was a few months ago. I just wanted to let everyone know how much being switched to Armour helped out w/the hypo symptoms I was still feeling.

Good luck to everyone!
How was this transition for you? Was it fairly easy or was there a lot of tweaking of levels?

I'm pregnant and nursing and am seeing a new doc to look into Armour. I just don't feel like the levothyroxine is getting me to "normal" and want to try Armour. Well I got this appointment a couple months ago before the pregnancy but I don't want to cancel it. Is it possible/safe/realistic to make this transition at this time? Thanks for any feedback anyone has!!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#269 of 1016 Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 AM

So i'm back on 25 mg of synthroid for now to see if that little boost helps me out. GP said that my levels are within normal range...but they could be a bit high for me.

Anyone know of diet that helps with hypothyroid? I take a good quality multi-vitamin and B complex vitmains.
#270 of 1016 Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
So i'm back on 25 mg of synthroid for now to see if that little boost helps me out. GP said that my levels are within normal range...but they could be a bit high for me.

Anyone know of diet that helps with hypothyroid? I take a good quality multi-vitamin and B complex vitmains.
I've read that Evening Primrose Oil can support thyroid function. I take it for conception purposes but if it also works there, no harm done!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page