Mothering Forum banner

The Thyroid Thread

90K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  shelley4 
#1 ·
Link to The Thyroid Thread (Part II)

Can we get a tribe of mommas with thyroid problems (hypo/hyper/Hashimoto's/Graves) started? I've searched the archives and noticed that a lot of the thyroid posts get very few responses. Maybe if we keep it all in one thead we can compile a great list of resources for mommas looking for answers. Good idea?

If you know of any links that provide exceptional information on thryoid problems please post them and I'll continually edit the first post to reflect changes in the list.

#2 ·
I had Hashimoto's with an antibody count that was off the charts. Spent many years trying to get a doctor to believe my concerns and not assume I was a hypochondriac. At the ripe old age of 27 I was finally diagnosed with papillary carcinoma. I had a complete thyroidectomy followed by radioactive iodine ablation. By the time I got the surgery I had been begging for for years, my thyroid had wrapped itself around my carotid artery. I also lost 3 of my parathyroid glands.

Overall my health has dramatically improved post surgery. I'm on synthroid and occasionally have to adjust my dosage. I also have to work hard to keep my calcium levels up.

My biggest problem is that my periods are completely screwed up. I believe its related to my thyroid levels and notice a correlation between my TSH and how normal my periods are. But so far I've had no luck in actually solving the problem. And hence, I remain childless, but really have enjoyed al the time I've spent studying up on parenting here at MDC.

#3 ·
Ugh, I'm going to cry! I had a huge post typed out and the baby erased it all! I'll post my story when I can find the time to. For now, does anyone have any experience with thyroid problems and extreme anger/rage?

pumpkin~I have a grandmother who had a complete thyroidectomy and my mother had to have 2 of her parathyroid glands removed. I'm sorry you are having no luck getting pregnant. It must be a really hard place to be in.
s

#4 ·
I am hyperthyroid and can tell you for 3 years now, going on 4, i have been a horrible mother to my children. I dont mean it, but i was undiagnosed until 2 months ago and i scream and scream for no reason. everything irritates me and i am not the mom i used to be. I freak every single day about something. I get so heated and so mad....i cant control it. I just wanted to pop in and say you are not alone. I am on my way to figuring out alternative methods of treating hyperthyroid, because i was put on a beta blocker that caused me to have severe asthma attacks...and the dr knows i have severe asthma since i was 2! i distrust all docs and endos at this point....i am so angry...i know how you are feeling with your anger.

#5 ·
When I was first diagnosed with Graves I was hesitant to attribute my rage to the disease, but as my meds start to work I realize it had a lot to do with it. I have gotten so used to blaming myself that this came as a shock. I have never known motherhood without hyperthyroidism, and I am optimistic. The past 4 years have been hell though. I have bought parenting book after parenting book and kicked myself when I couldnt seem to adhere to the principles. I have been so impatient, tense, sleep deprived and so angry. I just wanted to contribute my experience with the rage part. This is a great idea for a thread.

#7 ·
I'm hypothyroid and was diagnosed 7 yrs ago. Just started meds 4 yrs ago because I didn't believe the diagnosis at first. I have few symptoms, and my primary issue is poor adrenal function which seems to have caused my thyroid to wear down. Currently I'm taking Armour thyroid.

#8 ·
what were your symptoms. what made you finally get tested and what testing was done?

I see my doc on wed and I am going to ask about testing. I have felt like crap for a while now. I am 4 months PP and my neck feels funny all the time and its really hard to stay calm. I am prone to panic attacks as well so the neck thing is hell. My eyes seem blury and my head feels fuzzy and foggy too. My hair is falling out but it does this every year at this time. I also get heart palpitations as well. My mom and brother have thyroid problems too.
Anyways Im a little freaked.

Thanks
Angela

#10 ·
hi,

I have hypothyroidism after treatment for Graves. I had a very severe form of Graves disease which could not be controlled. Hospitalized many times due to high BP and uncontrollable shaking. I went through radioactive iodine therapy and now i do not have a functioning thyroid at all. I do seem to have a short fuse. But I never thought of attributing it to my thyroid issues.

Thats pretty much my short story.

#11 ·
Hey everyone!!! Never thought there were soooo many gals out there like me
I am definetely
this thread.

I had hyper... (never got officially diagnosed with Graves or anything...I went to one endo who freaked me out and I ran and ran until I reached the naturopath.... went there for several years and had several alternative therapies which seemed to buy me some time), but alas, 3 years after my first bloodtest showed an irregular thyroid... I took the dred radioactive iodine.

The doc gave me a huge
: dose and now my thyroid is done for. I actually like it that way, that way my hormone dose doesn't fluctuate... I have none of the mood swings, or symptoms that I am reading about. I take my little synthroid pill everyday and all is well. (I did have to adjust the dose while prego).

Hey, let me ask.... does it drive anyone else crazy that we can only get a perscription for a small amount of meds at one time???? Like why can't I just have a damn lifetime perscription????? WTF?????? I have to go get my pills in 90 count doses. Am I an idiot? Am I going to OD? or sell on the black market???? Oh why, oh why can't I just get 365 pills once a year?

Okay, that's it for now.
Nancy

#12 ·
I *think* I finally have a few minutes to type.

I have a quick appointment today to go over my symptoms with my doc and to get my lab order. In case anyone is wondering why I have to see the doc before they'll send me for bloodwork....I haven't seen a doctor (aside from an OB) since the pre-TTC appointment I had three years ago where we discussed my borderline hypothyroid levels and agreed to keep checking them every 6 months or so. Not long after that we had troubles with their office and decided they were not the physicians for us! We switched docs and the boys have both seen the new doctor (who we really like and is ok with our no vaxing....woohoo!) but I haven't seen him for medical care yet. That's why he has to see me quickly before my labs. Until they have me in their system they can't just print out orders.

On to my symptoms.....

Goiter: identified at my last appt 3 years ago

Fatigue: For the last three weeks I've gotten progressively worse regarding how much I can even function because my body is so tired. I'm not ready for a nap, but I feel like if I sit on the couch my body will never let me get
up again. Forget playing with the boys, I just physically cannot do it.

Constipation coupled with the opposite: I have never in my life dealt with this issue. For a week or so I'm constipated and then I get really frequent soft bowel movements for a couple of weeks, then constipation again.

Dry skin: Over the last couple of years my skin has become terribly dry and flaky. Right now it looks great, perhaps because it is so humid here nothing could be dry?

Forgetfulness: I blamed it on pregnancy and motherhood, but my memory is truly horrific lately. I used to have a fabulous memory, so this is highly unusual for me. I forgot my own phone number yesterday!

Hair loss: In the last 3 years my pony tail has shrunk to half of it's original size. And my hair hangs halfway down my back so imagine finding it everywhere. *sigh* I have to cut it off of the vacuum before using it every single time I vacuum, providing I have the energy to vacuum of course!

Heat/cold intolerance: I alternate between being cold on 80 degree days and sweating profusely on much cooler days. It's hard to get dressed these days.

Depression: Some days I really just want to die. I could never kill myself, but I have far too many *I wish I would just fall over dead* days lately. And my life (aside from these symptoms) is so good! Depression doesn't fit.

Anxiety attacks: I used to very occasionally get really overwhelmed and need to leave a store when shopping. I feel that way often in the last couple of months. Too many people and I can't breathe and I need OUT NOW! I feel sick and panicky thinking about it. I just want to stay home and never leave.

Lighter menstrual periods: But is this because of my thyroid or the fact that I now use a Diva/cloth pads? Or is it just natural changes after having a second child?

Weight loss: After going years having a HARD time losing weight I have lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks with no dietary changes. In fact, we had three birthdays and all of the cake that goes with, plus a visit from my brother the chef in that time.

Fuzzy eyesight: Is it time for an eye appointment or a symptom?

Rage: Aside from the fatigue this is the worst! Do you know how hard it is for an AP momma to feel rage at her children?! I have threatened to spank and actually done so a couple of times. Me!!!! And then I get so depressed I just want to run away so my kids don't have to live with a terrible momma. Ugh! So I try extra hard to be gentle and attentive, but them I'm so tired and my body just wants to not be bounced on anymore and my ears hurt and I just WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE! And I get angrier and angrier and can't seem to diffuse it no matter how hard I try. I really hate myself right now.

So it is possible that I was hypothyroid (like my mother and grandfather) for those 3 years (untreated) and my thyroid tried so hard to work that it has become overactive? It doesn't seem possible but my symptoms are so weird. I also have a hyperthyroid grandmother (on my father's side) who had to have her thyroid removed.

Well, regardless, I go today for answers and hope I get them quickly because I'm so tired and I can't take it anymore! I'll update you all on what happens.

#13 ·
I don't officially have any "thyroid diagnosis."

I've just been struggling with an enlarged thryoid, hypo symptoms (irregular/lite menstral periods, exhaustion, depression, etc), and "normal" blood tests.

I've been actually able to drag myself to the gym for the last year, have yet to lose one single pound, and while the deep depression I was sinking into has lifted, I definitely don't feel like wow or enthusiastic 'bout much.

It's been a year since my last blood test, and with the help of monthly colon cleansing & some herbal supplements to support the adrenal gland, my thyroid has went down from visibly noticeable to only noticeable....I know, I know... I need to go back to be tested but the thought of trying to find another dr after so much frustration is so exhausting..............

I have a mother and grandmother with hypothyroidism & two maternal aunts with lupus...

Am I the only one who goes to the dr and prays for bad news? It would be so much more comforting than this!

#14 ·
Graves' Disease treated with radioactive iodine now hypothyroid here
:

I was pretty sick when I was diagnosed, but luckily my mother (a nurse practitioner) realized I had a goiter after only 3-4 months of bad symptoms so I wasn't very sick for long (I was probably a little sick for several years though). After a few months and tons of research, I decided to do the RAI and get my well self back. I also had Graves' Eye Disease, but luckily it went away once I killed my thryoid. It took about 8 months to get my medication adjusted, then I was given the green light to have a baby. My baby was born at home just 2 years shy of my RAI anniversary. I had to have my medication adjusted during most of my pregnancy, and I am still needing adjustments over 1 year pp. Obviously all the changes my body has been through in the past 2 years are still affecting my thyroid. I take a pretty high dose of synthroid.

I'm happy with my choices. My only regret is that I didn't see a therapist and go on an anti-depressant. The depression symptom lasted a long time, long after all my other symptoms were gone. I'm a little sad to think about the years I had thyroid induced depression.

#15 ·
Indigomama - I totally agree with you about the "praying for bad news" thing! Before I got diagnosed, I just wanted to know what the heck was wrong with me so I could work to fix it...the lack of control was infuriating!

Wow, thyroid issues are pretty common it seems. I'm hypo, diagnosed this past February, just a week before I found out I was pregnant. Close call...my TSH level was a whopping 61, and the doc insisted I come back for a prescription of synthroid immediately...I had been feeling a little sluggish, having headaches, and feeling cold often, but those were my only symptoms.

Thank goodness it's been well controlled since then, because I've read thyroid issues can have a serious impact on pregnancy (higher chance of miscarriage, which I had last year, a link to ectopic pregnancies, which I also had last year, and lower IQ in kids if it's not controlled throughout pregnancy, which hopefully won't be my case).

I'm just pissed that a simple blood test like this isn't routinely offered to women who are even thinking of getting pregnant! I only got tested because I insisted on a whole slew of blood tests when DH and I were ready to start TTC again, and the doc reluctantly obliged. ARGH!

#16 ·
hi! Wow it is so great to find others just like me.

I have Hasimoto's thyroiditis and reactive hypoglycema (which I think is related).
I have been seeing a GP who is working with me, but run out of idea. He is much more interested in physical symptoms, and what is giving me the most trouble is the rage. I am being referred to a Endo soon. GP is willing to both call and explain my situation first (and feel the guy out so I won't be treated like a wacko) then to follow up with a letter explaining my case. I really love this guy.

I am currently taking 32mcg of Cytomel. Last TSH was .27, but it bounces wildly to both ends of the 'normal' spectrum

My symptoms

Goiter: identified 3 or 4 years ago by evil endo. Also got Hashi dx at that time. Lately there are lumps on my throat that even I can feel. Dr sent me for a sono, and will repeat it in a few months.

Fatigue: Always. But I am cosleeping mama to two kids 3y and 15m, plus bf the youngest, so of course I am tired. My meds seem to help with this

Dry skin: This was a big problem for a while, but meds seem to help

Forgetfulness/Concentration: I didn't realise that this was a thyroid issue, but my memory is shot. I am a bad driver these days because I am so easily distracted by radio, children, cell phone, the weather . . huh what was I saying again??

Heat/cold intolerance: This was me for the longest time. I felt cold ALWAYS except while pg. Glad to say that meds have improved this and I feel normal now.

Anxiety attacks: I blame my blood sugar issues for this, but maybe its thyroid too. "I used to very occasionally get really overwhelmed and need to leave a store when shopping. I feel that way often in the last couple of months. Too many people and I can't breathe and I need OUT NOW! I feel sick and panicky thinking about it. I just want to stay home and never leave." THAT!

Menstrual periods: My cycles are long 35-40 days. They used to be very irregular but seem to be falling in line lately. I have an IUD and am having long and heavy bleeds with lots of spotting, don't know what to blame for that.

Weight loss: I have always had a hard time losing weight. Was gaining for a while, but meds have helped me stabilize just above where I would like to be

Appetite - HUNGRY always (even when TSH is high). Huge craving for sweets no matter what I eat. Could re-eat a meal 10min after I finish. Is this thyroid or hypoglycemia? I feel awful - cold, tired, foggy thinking, RAGE, when I don't eat or feel low, but then get in a hole and can't eat enough to feel better. One morning donut is enough to literally ruin an entire day.

Rage: I get homicidal and/or suicidal just about daily. I get overwhelmed, angry and just can't cope. I yell, am too rough with the kids, and contemplate just flinging one of us out a window. I don't believe I really would kill us, but some days its a near thing. This is usually blood sugar related, but again, how much peanut butter can one person eat? My feelings sneak up on me and overwhelm me. I hate it, I am afriad of it, I just don't know how to make it better.

I have had these symptoms in varying degrees forever. It seems that being pregnant, breastfeeding, and living with children has put me in crisis mode. I haven't felt good for any long stretch in about 4 yrs.

I am not crazy. When I feel good I am a good mom. Its like being the incredible hulk, these things (thyroid, blood sugar, ??) sneak up and take me over.

#17 ·
Hashimoto's here..

I was diagnoised in college, um 14 years ago. Was having spotting pretty constant, cold sensativity, no appitite, weight gain, dry skin, mood swings...Dr tried birth control first and that straightened out my period, but not much else. Finally got bloood work and sent to Endo. First 2 years getting it straightened out, take synthroid now. I had to change meds with preg #1 a few times and with #3 a few times, but it stays pretty much the same.

Nice to be around people who can relate!

sandra

#18 ·
I just started a thread looking for help with my thyroid problem. I learned today that my thyroid is "massive" and going into my chest cavity. Actually, I've known for years that I had a goiter but my doc wanted to "watch and wait". Well, now it seems it is critical as my breathing is afffected and my trachea is compressed. I am seeing a surgeon next week and am VERY SCARED. I was wondering if anyone knew of natural ways to shrink this organ? I was really hoping to be able to do medication to shrink it but my doc says I am beyond that point. Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felicitymom
I have to go get my pills in 90 count doses.
I am still reading through the thread but had to comment on this. My doc tried to prescribe me 90 count and my insurance will only let me get 30 at a time!!! I have to go every freaking 30 days to get my pills.

BTW, I have hashimotos diagnosed during my last pregnancy. Still trying to figure out how to tell if you feel like crap because you have a baby and don't get any sleep or if your thyroid meds are not the right meds for you.

#20 ·
Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed at 13. Fortunately my mom noticed my goiter. This may also explain why I was such a late bloomer.

Symptom that led to diagnosis: Goiter
Treatment: I have been taking Synthroid since I was 15. I love my endo and have been seeing him since I was 13.

Other symptoms:
I have always had skin that leads towards dry.
Menstral Cycle when not on the pill was 28-31 days.
I used to always feel cold but after my first child that problem has gone away. I think I am peri-menopausal.
I chalk up my fatigue and lack of concentration to motherhood more than my thyroid.
Appetite: I feel hungry alot but my appetite did decrease when my dosage was changed at my last blood test.

Pill count: I have to order my pills by mail in order to get the 90 day count. It is so the insurance companies can earn more dollars.

#21 ·
i'm here! i am hypo. i have never seen an endo, but have been treated by several different gen practioners past 13 yrs or so. currently am under the care of the midwives who delivered dd2 and do my well woman care. i do love them, but sometimes wonder if i should see an endo. i think i probably have hashimotos, but don't really know. my dose of synthroid has been pretty consistent for the past 12/13 yrs with some adjustment at the beginning and in pregnancy number 2. before synthroid i got cold all the time and had a bit of brain fog and i remember i would have trouble making the effort to keep my eyes focused. i could do it easily enough, but it was easier to let them go unfocused. not good while driving. i have had depression issues (not treated) and lack of motivation issues (that feeling that i could sink into the couch never to return) off and on forever. my skin is probably the biggest issue i have now. it tends toward dry, but i also have a lot of vitiligo (lack of pigmentation) though luckily not on my face. it's associated with thyroid issues, but it's an autoimmune condition, too.

a good site with a ton of info on thyroid issues (both hypo and hyper) is www.thyroid.about.com and yes it can swing wildly especially after birth. if you're considering getting it checked out my advice would be go ahead and do it. check out that site, too.

as for the pill thing, often thyroid folks need to be rechecked and have their dosages adjusted so maybe that's why they don't want to let us get more than 30/90 pills at a time?

#22 ·
I have a goiter but normal levels. The endocrinologist is saying that we will probably have to get rid of it within a year or so before it gets too large (either surgically or with RAI).

Could someone tell me about the RAI method? How long do you have to stay away from family/kids?
My ds sleeps wrapped around my neck so I know that will have to be avoided for a while.

how did you all handle that situation?

#23 ·
Hi,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I don't have a thyroid problem but my son does and, since I haven't seen any other kids on MDC that have it, I thought y'all wouldn't mind me posting here.

My DS was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism at 33 weeks gestation (he was a 30 week preemie) when they did the newborn screening. He has been on 18.75g. of synthroid since then.
My sister has Hashimotos. Supposedly un-related

~Crissei

#24 ·
You have to stay away from adults for 3 days, and children/babies for 2 weeks. You can be in the same room as them, but no touching. You also have to use your own toilet during that time, and have your own eating utensils, plates, and cups.

I bet it will be hard to do with a child. I didn't have children yet when I did mine, and DH had to go out of town the next day which made it easier.

Sort of a funny story...Two weeks after my RAI, DH and I flew to Canada in order to get to a wedding in Northern Minnesota. As we drove through this tiny US border crossing, I set off the radiation detector. We couldn't figure out why the border patrol was asking us if we'd had cancer treatments recently, then it dawned on us that I had set the detector off. We just explained the situation and they let us through with no problems. The same thing happened in the airport when we went through customs, and again I just explained my situation and there were no problems. It was nice to find out that the detectors are very sensitive.

#26 ·
Surgery might be a better option for you. Like I said, I think doing the RAI with children is going to be hard. I decided not to do the surgery, because I didn't need to be pregnant in the next 12 months and I felt that there was a bigger risk with the surgery because of the possible damage to the parathyroid glands. My father is a doctor and he didn't want me to have the surgery at all. I made up my mind, but I did take his input into consideration. Of course, plenty of people have sucessful surgeries with no complications. I would just make sure you use a surgeon who removes thyroid glands everyday and who is an expect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.