autism & food/nutrition/supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello parents,
i am looking for some advice/help with regards to the nutrition of my child. my 2 &1/2 year old son was recently dianosed with a very rare disorder called hunter syndrome. as many of the symptoms are similar to those of children with autistic symptoms, parents of children with hunter syndrome have tried and effectively used treatments that are used to treat autism. so, i am looking for a nutritionist or naturopath who specializes in or is experienced in working with autism (we already work with a homeopath). we live in vancouver, bc, canada, and because my son is 1 of 2 kids in bc with hunter syndrome, no other parents of kids with hunters can recommend anyone in our area. so i thought i'd ask my broader community of alternatively-minded parents. help?!
thanks so much,
deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Hi Deb,

I was searching your posts : and realized this wasn't answered. We are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which has helped lots of children w/autism. Check out its website.

This thread (and its previous 12million threads) discuss the diet more in detail.

We're also doing high vit cod liver oil and lots of EFAs. We get our CLO here.

I have no evidence that this is helping my son, but my gut tells me it is. We also started Zeolite, and I'm hopeful about it as well.

Amy
Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Hi Deb,

I was searching your posts : and realized this wasn't answered. We are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which has helped lots of children w/autism. Check out its website.

This thread (and its previous 12million threads) discuss the diet more in detail.

We're also doing high vit cod liver oil and lots of EFAs. We get our CLO here.

I have no evidence that this is helping my son, but my gut tells me it is. We also started Zeolite, and I'm hopeful about it as well.

Amy
Another Zeolite fan here. I was talking about it in "Lead thread". Are you getting it from Waiora??
At this point my son has no signs of autism, but I would like to take some preventive measures. I also take this product, it's amazing.

I also heard that getting on specific carbs diet can help tremendously. Great advice, Amy.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Ditto on what Amy said. The diet along with enzymes and Natural Cellular Defense (zeolite) really worked for us. I did the NCD too recently and MAN that stuff works. Diet was the big thing for us though. It seems like alot at first, but it is pretty easy once you get into the swing of things. I saw a huge difference in under a month. THere were changes in the first week, but at the end of a month my two were new kids.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:17 PM

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet has been the most valuable intervention we have done for DD's autism as well as an IgG/IgE food allergy blood test to eliminate further problematic foods. We're doing homeopathic detoxing right now and might be trying something like zeolite in the future...currently undecided.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Ditto on what Amy said. The diet along with enzymes and Natural Cellular Defense (zeolite) really worked for us. I did the NCD too recently and MAN that stuff works. Diet was the big thing for us though. It seems like alot at first, but it is pretty easy once you get into the swing of things. I saw a huge difference in under a month. THere were changes in the first week, but at the end of a month my two were new kids.
I know, I was shocked how this stuff really worked - the NCD. Tell it to the mother on the "lead thread" please. I really want to help, but she is hesitant.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 PM

bumping for progress/new ideas since we're researching probiotics wrt DD's autism, which seems to be getting worse
Old 09-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Pharmax has a new probiotic that is specifically geared towards autism IIRC.. http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/pro...sp?itemid=1091
Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM

We are doing dairy free SCD and cod liver oil (Carlsons) and probiotics (I use kirkman labs ones without inulun or FOS)...I may check into the one mentioned above. I am doing RDI for intervention outside of nutrition and supplements.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Pharmax has a new probiotic that is specifically geared towards autism IIRC.. http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/pro...sp?itemid=1091
awesome.. Thanks.

User Tag List