Ongoing diarrhea in nursing mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2003, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone out there can help me, but I don't know where else to ask about this rather embarrasing subject!

I have been suffering from diarrhea for several weeks now. I am sure that it started after 3 mega-courses of antibiotics that I took for recurring mastitis. I have started taking acidopholus tablets and eating live yogurt (soy yogurt, as I am dairy free). I have been taking them for about a week, and the diarrhea seems to be getting worse! It is getting to the point that I don't like going out, as I need to be able to get to the bathroom PDQ.

Do you have any suggestions? Would a low-fibre diet help? Are there any food to eat or avoid? I don't want to take meds as I am still nursing my ds.

Thanks for your help with this - I am getting pretty desperate.

Lise
#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2003, 12:18 PM

Coconut macaroons.
Seriously...eat 2 or three a couple times a day until it lets up.
(the little round chewy coconut cookies)
I learned this from my moms neighbor who is very into herbal/holistic/non-medical healing. I thought he was kidding but it works!
(pretty yummy too)
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Sorry that you have to deal with this.

I would think that the BRAT diet would work for you - so that would be Bananas, rice, Apples and Toast. The more bulk in your diet - so high fiber bread would be better.

Make sure to drink enough water, because you could be dehydrated as well.

I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for many years and I know what you mean about needing to be near a toilet ASAP. Are you under a lot of stress as well?
#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2003, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies - I would never have thought of coconut macaroons!

I will also try the BRAT diet. (I too suffered from IBS on and off for years. I found out about 2 years ago that I cannot eat non-organic chicken, as it causes me terrible pain.) I'll give it a try for a few weeks and see how I get on.
#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2003, 11:11 PM

made into a gruel and consumed is great for a runny tummy.
#6 of 6 Old 03-26-2003, 02:05 AM

i just skimmed this as i am very tired but could you be dehydrated? diahhrea is a classic sign of dehydration and then it compounds the problem. so if its even remotely possible, try the above ideas and drink tons of water ! a gallon a day. also , charcaol will bulk up the problem as well, you can either try eathing some burnt toast (try with peanut butter, its not so bad) or buy charcoal tablets at a health food store. i worry about dehydration cuz it can become very serious of you dont notice it and fix it. i hope you feel better! by the way mastitis is caused sometimes by dehydration too, so maybe you were getting dehydrated , got mastits, and never got balanced back out after the mastitis went away?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page