common centipede bite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay dd (almost 4) was bit (pincered?) by a common centipede yesterday mid day. Her hand swelled almost immediately and we put ice on it to bring the swelling down. However, today, her hand is swollen again and very hot to the touch.

What research I've done states that they aren't poisonous per se', but painful and can cause swelling...but more than 24 hours later? Also does the heat suggest infection?

Any ideas on what I can do?
#2 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM

Hey, K!

I'm guessing that the heat and swelling would indicate an infection or at the very least a reaction. You may need to call your pedi and see what they say. Is it painful for her when you touch it?
#3 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Yikes, yeah call the doc. She's not having any difficulty breathing or anything is she?
#4 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

It is tender to the touch. She's not having any difficulty breathing whatsoever. It's contained to her hand completely.
#5 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Okay, well that's good. I would still call the doc, just to be sure since it is hot to the touch it does sound infected. Could one of the pincers have gotten lodged in her skin?
#6 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM

Do you want some good folk medicine? If centipedes are common where you live, this is a good one to have around the house. I always have a bottle in my house, and me and the kids have all gotten bitten several times. Once I was bitten by a centipede that was 12 inches long. Ouchie. It does swell up almost like a cartoon glove, is very hot to the touch, and PAINFUL!
You have to catch one alive and put in a pint of very strong, white alchohol, overproof white rum is great, and so is overproof vodka. Once the centipede is dead, the liquid will look cloudy. As soon as the centipede bites, use some of the remedy externally to soak the area. Relief is almost instantaneous, use as needed. It's amazing how well it works.

In the meantime, keep icing it and you can rub the spot gently with a half a lime, that's what I would do. Call the ped or the nurse line and see what they say.
#7 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well her skin looks completely clear...no sign of any pincers or anything. In fact it surprises me to see it look like it's infected. But we were camping and I bet just the dirt of the campsite got into the wound. Although after the initial bite...it wasn't long before you couldn't even see where it was. Not because of dirt, just it looked okay, KWIM?

I'm trying a baking soda soak that someone suggested. I figure that can't harm. I hate to call the doc at this point. There are no lines going from her hand suggesting it's in the blood or anything like that. It's also not so puffy that I'm worried about damage. I guess I'm pretty sure it's infected and looking to see how can I help her body attack this naturally? If possible....I just don't know what a doctor would do at this point.
#8 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

sevenkids we crossposted - hair of the dog 'eh? Too bad we aren't at the campground any longer. There aren't any centipedes around the house. It was a big centipede, probably an inch to an inch and a half... (But 12 inches...yowza! That's a snake, not a centipede! )

How does lime hurt? I don't have lime, but I have lime juice...would that help as much? I could put it on a pad or washcloth and let her hold it to her hand...does it draw the toxins
#9 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 PM

I think it has to do with the vitamin C, we use lime on all insect bites and it really helps with drawing out? or neutralizing? the toxins. The kids run to the fridge when they get bit and grab a lime, it works so well! If you have lemon, it would work too, but if not try the juice, it should work too, maybe not as well as a fresh lime.
#10 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM

I've never dealth with that kind of bite before, but I know that tabacco (wet and covering the bite) will draw the poison out.

Also, my daughter gets the same reaction from any bites. Mosquiteos particularly. Not quite as large, but the same swollen, red, and hot. It usually passes after a couple of days. As long as there are no streaks coming from the bite or respitory issues, it should subside soon. I also usually rub Tea Tree Oil on it and it seems to make it clear up a bit faster.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#11 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well I tried the baking soda... no difference.

Tried the lime juice - ouwie!! She started crying immediately that it hurt. There must still be an open wound that I just can't see.

She's in bed now, I'll try the tto tomorrow. That's a good idea, antibacterial and all. There's no tobacco around here and likely it would be too late for that now. I'll keep keeping an eye on it.
#12 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 PM

Sorry it hurt, babybugsmama's baby!
#13 of 13 Old 08-20-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I know poor thing! I really can't think why, she pointed at the top of her hand away from where it bit

If it makes you feel better...a few hours after she was bit, she saw a centipede at the campsite...my pacifist stomped that sucker. Flat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page