Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins: Curing the Incurable - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 169 Old 09-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
The following toxins can be neutralized:

Alcohol,
Mercury
Lead
Aluminum
Fluoride, etc.
First, I just ordered Levy's book and I can't wait to get it.

I am wondering a couple of things about your list that I quoted. My bil is an alcoholic. If he were to find his optidose (is that the right word?), would he be able to kick his cravings more easily??

Also, my dad is starting to show signs of alzheimers. He is young (64) but was in the military, so most likely received tons of vaccines containing mercury and aluminum. My mom has controlled their aluminum intake for years (got rid of all her aluminum pans, baking powders, etc.), and they have been taking vitamin c (not SA, but a pill form) for years and years (probably more than 30 years). Could IV vit c help cleanse him of the toxins that could be encouraging the alzheimers?

(I should say, he has not been diagnosed with early alzheimers - we are just assuming his occasional confusion and memory loss is related to alzheimers, because his mother just died with alzheimers last year at the age of 90.)
#62 of 169 Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

See:

THE ORTHOMOLECULAR TREATMENT OF DRUG ADDICTION
by Kalekerinos and Dettman
http://www.*********/v/kalokerinos2.html

I really don't know re: Alzheimer's but given his history I would say it's very likely the vaccines had a big role to play. The ********* page on it might be a good place to start: http://www.*********/d/alzheimers.html

The thing with your parents taking vit. C for years and years is that if it's not high enough dosage it's not doing much. This has been the case with studies designed to "debunk" the power of vitamin C, the researchers give paltry doses and only once day (the half life in blood plasma is 30 minutes) and then are so condescending when it does no good.
#63 of 169 Old 09-01-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The thing with your parents taking vit. C for years and years is that if it's not high enough dosage it's not doing much. This has been the case with studies designed to "debunk" the power of vitamin C, the researchers give paltry doses and only once day (the half life in blood plasma is 30 minutes) and then are so condescending when it does no good.
Thank you for all the links, Jane.

As for their dosages, they would take six grams in the a.m. and six at night. I think they have cut down their daily intake to three grams in the a.m. and three at night, and then dosing higher when sick (probably 1 gram per hour or so on top of a.m. and p.m. dosages). However, I don't think the quality of the pills is particularly high. My dad did read the ingredients to me a few months ago after I told him he should be taking SA, and I had to admit I was impressed with the "blend" of the vitamins (SA, ascorbic acid, and other bits and pieces), but they buy them from those ads you see in the Parade magazine in the Sunday paper... Maybe it's not that bad... Who knows?
I just assume they're not super high quality, but my parents are rarely sick and it seems to help.
#64 of 169 Old 09-02-2006, 01:53 PM

We're dealing with county health inspectors because of my daughter's very high lead levels, and one of the brochures they gave us mentions that chronic lead poisoning over a lifetime might be related to Alzheimers, or at least senility.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#65 of 169 Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 PM

hi,
a bit off topic...
i am curious about the differences between alma/acerola and sodium ascorbate. ds and i have been using sodium ascorbate for a while now, but i wasn't sure if a natural c would be more effective. ds has a lot of allergies/intolerances, so i'm always leery about adding something new.

any info is greatly appreciated!
#66 of 169 Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 AM

I'm also wondering about acerola/amla vs. sa, especially since someone on another thread posted a link to a Susan Weed article saying that synthetic vitamin C causes aging of the arteries. Made me a bit worried about all the SA I've been taking.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#67 of 169 Old 09-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
NOW is the only brand of Acerola powder that I know of and it has maltodextrin. I use Amla powder for DS from either Himalaya or Paradise Herbs. Neither has additives.
Jane - do you have a good feel for how much amla = sa from a dosing perspective? I've got the amla now and am using it, but still can't get a good feel for what I should be aiming for. And I've got so many other variables going on with enzymes and food that it would be hard for me to do an optidose experiment right now.

Also - do you just break open the capsules for your son or did you find a powder somewhere? I'm considering giving to my 3 yr old, but she's pretty finicky when she thinks I'm hiding mystery powder in her food or drinks!
#68 of 169 Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM

subbing...
#69 of 169 Old 09-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Subbing...I was actually planning on getting this book today.
Jane- My 54-year-old dad was just diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: chronic asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis) The Dr's ran a bunch of bloodwork and he's going to see them on 9/20. His blood pressure is normal and they think his heart's ok too. He smoked for almost 40 years. I've been doing lots of research on supplements and am wondering about sodium ascorbate. I gave him a bottle of NOW brand SA and have him taking 1/2 tsp a few times a day, haven't talked w/him about bowel tolerance yet. Does the book say anything about COPD or lung disease that you can share with me. I know he needs a lot more than the amt of vit c I told him to take but I just want to make sure it's ok (even though I know it is, iykwim). Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!
Michelle
#70 of 169 Old 09-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara

Jane, Dr Levy is now very much into liposomal vitamin C, which he maintains is almost as effective as IV in emergency situation.

http://livonlabs.com/
I got that at my mercury-free dentist after removing my amalgam filling and I almost threw up!! It's the worst taste EVER. :

question about sodium ascorbate - it's obviously very high in sodium - isn't that a problem? I am not very educated in this so pardon me if it's stupid question. All around me I see sodium free and low sodium products like sodium is your worst enemy........and then we take maga doses of it....is it good for us?
I take it too by the way
#71 of 169 Old 09-04-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

RE: Natural Vit. C vs. Chemical

I wish there was more info. on this. Because my gut feeling is that anything chemical taken everyday is not the way to go. But there is just so much evidence behind high vit. C benefits, I'm in a quandry myself.

LovinLiviLou,
I just break open capsules and put in his yogurt drink. That stuff is great, you can hide just about anything in it! (and I do)

Michelle,
to you and your dad. If it's not in my original post list, it's not in the book, so I don't remember lung disease.

Pavlina,
I think the sodium question was addressed in the original "Sodium Ascorbate" thread around here somewhere. In Vacc. forum I think.
#72 of 169 Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM

subbing.

afro.jpg
#73 of 169 Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 AM

I was thinking today. Let's say that I do have bad levels of mercury in my body and that getting my fillings out is a hardship. I was pondering that I could take the vitamin C opti-dose to neutralize the metal. Also, if I decide to treat my Lyme disease with C maybe that would also help the metals at the same time? (BTW, I am too overwhelmed : with my other issues to really focus on the metal issue right now. I have decided to put that on the backburner and focus on the Lyme and restoring my nutrients and gut)

I need to order this book because I am meeting my dr in SF on the 14th. He is integrative so I think he will be open to alternatives.

Can I share? I was upset today because I went to my in-laws and my MIL asked me how I felt. I said I have a little arthritis in my hands today, but no biggie. Then MIL said, "We decided that you don't have Lyme. Dad looked it up and only 95 people have it and it is overdiagnosed" WHAT!I felt very invalidated in my very real struggles (Plus, the baby that miscarried was due today). Like they think I am just a hypochondriac who need therapy (MIL pretty much thinks people shoud be continually healing their childhood hurts and that everything is a spiritual/emotional issue) Plus they are really off in their Lyme facts. 23,000 peolpe were diagnosed in USA in 2004. 95 in CA that year. Also, I meet the CDC reqs for diagnosis. A positive test (which I have to be + in 5 or more bands) and symptoms. AHHHHH! :

Thanks for listening,
Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#74 of 169 Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Michelle,
to you and your dad. If it's not in my original post list, it's not in the book, so I don't remember lung disease.

Thanks
#75 of 169 Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama
I was thinking today. Let's say that I do have bad levels of mercury in my body and that getting my fillings out is a hardship. I was pondering that I could take the vitamin C opti-dose to neutralize the metal. Also, if I decide to treat my Lyme disease with C maybe that would also help the metals at the same time? (BTW, I am too overwhelmed : with my other issues to really focus on the metal issue right now. I have decided to put that on the backburner and focus on the Lyme and restoring my nutrients and gut)

I need to order this book because I am meeting my dr in SF on the 14th. He is integrative so I think he will be open to alternatives.

Can I share? I was upset today because I went to my in-laws and my MIL asked me how I felt. I said I have a little arthritis in my hands today, but no biggie. Then MIL said, "We decided that you don't have Lyme. Dad looked it up and only 95 people have it and it is overdiagnosed" WHAT!I felt very invalidated in my very real struggles (Plus, the baby that miscarried was due today). Like they think I am just a hypochondriac who need therapy (MIL pretty much thinks people shoud be continually healing their childhood hurts and that everything is a spiritual/emotional issue) Plus they are really off in their Lyme facts. 23,000 peolpe were diagnosed in USA in 2004. 95 in CA that year. Also, I meet the CDC reqs for diagnosis. A positive test (which I have to be + in 5 or more bands) and symptoms. AHHHHH! :

Thanks for listening,
Jennifer
mama Sorry about your insensitive family.
JMO, But if you are able to focus on removing the metals, everything else will get better as a result.

This is what I'm using to chelate dd and myself:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=503645
It is *amazing*. I was totally skeptical at first but the changes in dd have been profound. (I'm not seeing too much improvement yet but I'm a harder case. )
#76 of 169 Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Jennifer, high C will probably work on both issues at the same time. Selenium is also a very important supplement for detoxing metals. I'm sorry your family is whacked! Stay strong and listen to your own intuition.
#77 of 169 Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Annikate-I will be checking out the stuff you are using. It's sounds gentle and natural thus far. (Chelation sounds scary to me right now. I guess that is why I am so reluctant to think about it too.)

JaneS-I am taking a lot of vitamins/minerals/aminos right now on my program. The good thing is that I am on about 3g + of vitamin C so far. I just checked the bottles and I am on lots of selinium too.
I wonder if the reason why I have been experiencing arthritis again is because I had to quit my vitamins/mins for a week? (I had to isolate the one that was making me nauseous). I guess I will see how my arhtritis is when I am totally back on them again.

Isn't it a bummer that when you feel sick is also the time when you have to do the most research?!: Even though I am a research nerd at heart

I got some acerola and Reuteri powder for my family today. Want to keep them on the path to wellness too.

The good thing with my in-laws is that dh at least recognizes how wacky they are too. Thanks for your support mamas....

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#78 of 169 Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Jane, one thing that concerned me about Levy's book was that he said you should not supplement calcium at the same time you are doing optidoses of vitamin C, because it will cause the calcium to precipitate or something. He said most supplemental calcium isn't very bioavailable. I take dolomite since I'm doing pretty much no dairy now. Should I be worried about combining dolomite with large amounts of SA?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#79 of 169 Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I don't remember that... this is not in connection with ester-C?
Dolomite has magnesium too. As I understand it, it is pretty well absorbed as calcium supplements go.
#80 of 169 Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Has anyone tested their optimum dose using a "full spectrum vitamin c formula"? I have Garden of Life "Living vitamin C" and have found I can't take 3 tablets at a time- 3 tablets is a serving and is only 500 mg total. I do fine with one at a time. This just seems like a really low dose to be reaching bowel tolerance.

Kaye

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#81 of 169 Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertrn
Has anyone tested their optimum dose using a "full spectrum vitamin c formula"? I have Garden of Life "Living vitamin C" and have found I can't take 3 tablets at a time- 3 tablets is a serving and is only 500 mg total. I do fine with one at a time. This just seems like a really low dose to be reaching bowel tolerance.

Kaye
I think you need to read the whole thread to get the answer. I checked out the product you asked about and it does not contain sodium asocrbate. It has "living" vitamin C in form of acerola and other not specified form or vit.C. You can not do the optidose with this product. It's totally different thing.
#82 of 169 Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Yes, I do realize they are completely different things, that's why I was asking if anyone had tried it. There are a couple of mentions of acerola in the thread including someone wondering what the conversion ratio would be. I realize the more natural forms of C are supposed to be much more potent, but it seems like I should be able to at least take the recommended serving on the bottle without reaching bowel tolerance. (I was not testing for tolerance it was an accidental discovery)

My gut feeling is that it is healthier to be taking the natural forms if possible.

Kaye

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#83 of 169 Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 PM

It was also mentioned somewhere in this or the "sodium ascorbate" thread that the natural form of vitamin C in high doses have side efects and can damage some organs.
#84 of 169 Old 09-20-2006, 04:20 PM

I have been reading this thread with interest and last week, got some Vitamin C to try to find my optidose.

However it doesn't seem to be working for me. I was up around 8 grams with no sign of loose stool, but MUCH gas. We are talking really horrible nasty gas that hangs in the air like a dense cloud for 30 minutes after it's produced : DH is complaining that he can't walk around the house freely anymore and I can't say I blame him.

Anyone else with this issue? Advice? :
#85 of 169 Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Oh the "vitamin C" farts.... we all have them here, cause we are all taking it.
Just keep taking it till you reach your bowl tolerance, that's only think I can tell. Even with 8grams you obviously did not reach it yet.....
#86 of 169 Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

RE: gas

I don't know for sure... but it seems to me that "bowel tolerance" means not just having diarrhea, but having any intestinal symptoms at all. Because bowel tolerance test is designed to measure how much your body is absorbing before it dumps the excess. Once it dumps, your body has reached sufficient oral load (IV can be higher obviously b/c bypasses the gut). So therefore any evidence of dumping would mean that tolerance is reached right?

So interestingly enough when I started testing my tolerance I topped out at about 12-14 grams of sodium ascorbate (plus using 1/5th ratio of bioflavonoids dunno if that makes a difference). So I was taking 10-12 grams/day and then after about a week I kept getting symptoms. I must have "tanked up"

So gradually I dropped down and now I'm at Sodium ascorbate tolerance of 8 grams

Ascorbic acid I did yesterday and it seems to be lower: 6 grams (and yuck I so don't like tolerance test using AA. SA is soooo much better!)
#87 of 169 Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
So interestingly enough when I started testing my tolerance I topped out at about 12-14 grams of sodium ascorbate (plus using 1/5th ratio of bioflavonoids dunno if that makes a difference). So I was taking 10-12 grams/day and then after about a week I kept getting symptoms. I must have "tanked up"
Jane, or anyone else, where do you get your bioflavonoids and can you get them in crystal/powder form or just tablets or caplets? Sorry in advance if this has been addressed already, I've been following the thread over the last couple weeks but may have missed a few posts! Thanks to everyone for sharing their Vit. C info!

Tracy
#88 of 169 Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traycanadian View Post
Jane, or anyone else, where do you get your bioflavonoids and can you get them in crystal/powder form or just tablets or caplets? Sorry in advance if this has been addressed already, I've been following the thread over the last couple weeks but may have missed a few posts! Thanks to everyone for sharing their Vit. C info!

Tracy

http://www.koshervitamins.com/shop/s...sp?Item_ID=437
#89 of 169 Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post

Thank you! I'm ordering some today!
#90 of 169 Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traycanadian View Post
Thank you! I'm ordering some today!
no problem, it's been posted in this thread.
here are some other ones:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webap...r=1&Ntk=Level1
and this one:
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00138.html (300grams is about 10oz I think)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page