Pinworm!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you mamas know what Pinworm looks like? My ds -(20 mnths), has had a wierd rash right around his bum-hole, some of the bumps look like tiny white dots. He has never had diaper rash so I'm not sure if that is it but I don't think so. A friend of mine thinks it could be Pinworm. She suggested putting tape over his bum-hole overnight to see if the worms stick to it in the morning. Has anyone had any experiences with this? If so, any natural remedies? I am familiar with herbs that would work for adults, but I have no idea how I could get my ds to drink the tea (tastes terrible), maybe some homeopathic remedies? Any help would be appreciated - I'm getting kind of grossed out by the idea the longer it sits in my brain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 PM

i have heard the tape thing too; i have also heard at night, to keep the room dark and look at them with a flashlight too, and you can see them wiggling. is there itching? from what i have heard there is usually intense itching as well.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM

When we had pin worms we didn't have white dots around our bump. If you look at his bum when he is asleep at night you might see white looking threads coming from his rectum.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM

You can look with a flashlight in the middle of the night when he is sleeping and all warm. You should be able to see them and also the tape thing. I know I have lots of remedies in a book...I'll be back.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 PM

Well I have a funny story, would that help? My older sis was in med school and she was telling my much younger sis all about pinworm and how you do the scotch tape test (I don't know if you can actually do this on your own btw or not- and i am not sure if it is the eggs or the worms you are looking for but hopefully you will get some info.) So, my little sis went to camp and at some point afterwards she took my Dr.Sis aside and told her she thought she had pinworm. They convinced my mom to take her to the doctor and sure enough she did have them. So my 8 year old sister diagnosed her own problem. And now just a few months ago my older sister put out a book and that story is in it. My older sister is a total overachiever, btw... neurosurgeon, wrote a book, invented a brain stimulator, blah blah blah. Kidding, I am very proud of her. Especially because she has learned to use her Maya wrap sling with her new babe.

I am SO SORRY I just butted in here with that. I hope you can find a natural remedy for this if it is indeed pinworm.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 PM

Ok this is coming from Anne Frye's Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year.
Symptoms: Intense rectal itching, especially when they come outside at night to lay eggs at the anal opening. Insomnia with lislessness, restlessness and irriability. Child may cry in sleep and become unable to cope with daily life. Heavy infestations may lead to appeitie loss, nightmares, and weight loss. 1/3 of cases have no symptoms.
Treatments(don't know which one's are safe for children): Mugwort tea, garlic, Black walnut bark, butternut bark, high salt diet, and there are many more in this book.
Good luck. PM if you want to know more.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:04 AM

When one family member has Pinworms, the whole family has been exposed, and even if thay are not yet showing any symptoms, all the family members should receive treatment. Also bed linens, towels and clothing should be washed in hot water.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the info - any help is much appreciated! I have to go for the night, but I'll check this thread again tomorrow. I will have to try the tape and peeking in the diaper tonight and see what I see - yuck - I really hope he doesn't have them. He does get a little itchy too. I would be interested to know if anyone has had any success treating them naturally because I know the drug the doc prescribes for it is really nasty and pretty much kills any living bacteria and organisms in the gut. Thank you so much mamas!!!

User Tag List