Healing the Gut in September - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Makes ya wonder how long he lived doesn't it?
makes ya wonder even more if/how he had kids and then what they turned out like!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#302 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
actually chocolate has a bunch more than just magnesium - a ton of amino acids and such. raw cacao nibs are now available (at a premium price compared to regular chocolate bars) - why not just get those and give into the craving? I actually find that, between having a little chocolate in the afternoon, a teeny bit of mag citrate and an epsom salt bath, I am finally able to maintain a good level of magnesium.
i love the way you think...
i have no problem giving into the chocolate craving...finding high quality without dairy or soy isn't always easy...then i tend to binge on it. basically i eat until it is gone!
#303 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM

thanks so much for all of the cal/mag info.
#304 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
actually chocolate has a bunch more than just magnesium - a ton of amino acids and such. raw cacao nibs are now available (at a premium price compared to regular chocolate bars) - why not just get those and give into the craving? I actually find that, between having a little chocolate in the afternoon, a teeny bit of mag citrate and an epsom salt bath, I am finally able to maintain a good level of magnesium
I want to know where to find those cacao nibs!
#305 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou
ff - I'm interested in this, too. I got the bifido factor dairy free for my daughter (3 1/2 months and ebf) because that's all I could find.
Solaray BabyLife is a dairy free bifidus only infant probiotic. If you can't find it locally you can order it online and have it shipped next day mail.
#306 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM

The baby probiotics seem to be helping DD--I didn't notice any bloody poop at all while we were gone or since, even though I ate a ton of dairy She did have a bit of an eczema flare-up a few weeks ago, though, and I can't figure out why. It was around the same time I started her on the probiotics, and also started occasionally giving her a tiny bit of solids. I don't know if it's a die-off reaction, a reaction to solids, or just coincidence. It started in the middle of my one-month-long no-cheating phase, so I know it wasn't dairy that caused it this time.
#307 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkamama
i love the way you think...
i have no problem giving into the chocolate craving...finding high quality without dairy or soy isn't always easy...then i tend to binge on it. basically i eat until it is gone!
Green and Blacks or the Endangered Species stuff - but they both have sugar/cane sugar (one is organic, the other isn't) so if you've cut out sugar, then these won't be good. also, only the DARK chocolate has no milk chocolate. I actually prefer the Endangered Species because they have varieties with dried cranberries and almonds or dried raspberries and (some other nut i can't remember). but i got dh hooked on G&B hazelnut. we both made the rule that we only take the recommended serving size on the pkg and this is probably the only form of cane sugar (or any sugar) we have on a regular basis.

oh, the other way to get some minerals is with blackstrap molasses (again, you might want to see if this coincides with SCD or anti-candida or whatever). i usually add blackstrap molasses to my granola and kefir in the morning.

btw, it is only recently that i've been carefully adding these more natural sweeteners without noticing any recourse/setback. i went for months without sugar. now i don't need as much - indeed, honey from different sources also range in sweetness and i seem to dislike the really sweet ones more now than in the past. dh never did the full sugar purge (and he probably needs to do so more than i ever did) - he is a sugar/sweetness junkie through and through, though he is MUCH better off now than ever before.

#308 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I want to know where to find those cacao nibs!
firefaery is a big fan - perhaps she will post her favorite online store.

#309 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 03:17 PM

so this is a TMI but i thought i'd share the results of my recent experiment.

i had been taking Metagenics UltraFlora Plus DF since May or so. 1 capsule 2x daily (I don't bother trying to take anythign at lunch - my brain can't handle that). my ND had suggested 3 months of the UltraFlora and Glutagenics and i had just come to the end of that period. my intention was to see how i did for a week once i finished both of those products.

the weekend that i finished, i ended up overdoing my mag loading, so sunday/monday was a little unpleasant in the bathroom. oops. then it took me a LOT longer to recover my gut microflora. after a week and a half of unpleasantness (and no other change in diet - still 2-3 c of kefir a day; no extra mag either), i broke down and took dh's PB8 probiotic. voila. next day, everything was good again. so i continued for a few days taking 1 of these capsules, 2x daily.

then i saw the ND to wrap up a few things. he suggested adding a capsule of the PB8 to my kefir - just to give the kefir an extra boost. perhaps my kefir was lacking a microbe/strain that is in the PB8 that i actually need in my system. this had me scratching my head a bit afterwards because the ultraflora plus is suppsoed to be only l. acidophilus and b. lactis which i had thought were naturally in kefir (though maybe i'm misremembering).

anyhow... i added the capsule and, between it and a round in 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 whole milk, my kefir is even creamier and thicker than ever before. yum. even better, i seem to be functioning well without taking probiotics beyond what is in my kefir. yahoo.

#310 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
firefaery is a big fan - perhaps she will post her favorite online store.
Gotta know.
#311 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Today was a bit of a shocker.

Guess what was biggest reaction? Peanuts. A huge welt, the size of a quarter, with a few tentacles branching out from it!!

Next biggest: Almonds and Coconut.

Then slightly: Lamb, Citrus. And Eggs: whites and yolks both. :

So these were the foods I turned to when weaned and his gut went crazy. No surprise I guess. Except for peanuts. He's literally only had them about 3x in his life, thankfully!!!

Yet again I'm so very grateful I didn't vax this child. Now I might as well just add: "avoided anaphylactic reaction to peanuts" to my List Of Things DS Narrowly Missed by Not Vaxing Which Cannot Be Proven But Mama Intuition Suspects. :

These were ok: Cow, Goat, Beef, Chicken, Banana, Carrot, Pear, Tomato

They didn't have pecan or macadamia antigen, which would be the next nuts I would let him eat on an effort to stay SCD. They did have cashew which we may do at our next appt. but I thought it prudent to stop testing nuts after he reacted to 2 so strongly.

SCD w/o eggs or nuts would be quite impossible for us at the moment since he cannot do carrots or squashes or most fruits either it seems. Maybe in a few weeks when gut inflammation calms down from eliminating things he is obviously reacting to.

But did you catch this: no reaction to cow or goat dairy.

So obviously that reaction I saw a few days ago was from the almond butter he ate and not cow dairy contaminated kefir.

I will keep him on goat's milk to give his little gut a break since it's inflamed. This will work well since our raw goat milk share goes thru Fall until they dry up. Still not sure if I will keep him nut free or try pecans and macadamias only over weekend.

What the heck am I going to feed this child for breakfast and snacks for preschool? I'm kinda panicking over that here... I keep remembering how oats and rice were such a nightmare (they were his first solids.) But he did tolerate them well later on Rotation Diet. ARGH!!!!
#312 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 04:59 PM

Jane,

Frederick lately has been eating yogurt almost exclusively. His lunch for preschool today is basically yogurt.

Of the things that your son tends to eat, what is he still able to eat besides the yogurt? The good news here is that he is three and not thirty and doesn't know that most of us couldn't live without variety.

What were the tests?

Thank goodness you've got some information.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#313 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 PM

Yeah well, he wants variety now. We've been having a big issue with food lately. My previously I-love-vegetables child now will hardly touch them and you can't blame him as he can only digest a few. Every morning this week has been a discussion on the ride to preschool about why he cannot have juice like the other kids. At least I made him cookies which he adored. Yup from almond and brazil nut flour so those are gonna have to go. : At least they were egg free.

His diet was: beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, bone broths, peas, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, spinach he will eat in quiche only, eggplant rarely will touch it, avocados, nuts, bananas, cooked pears, eggs, lemon juice, goat yogurt & butter.

Anything else sends his poop to mush and he doesn't sleep. And as you can see a lot of it he can't have now. I feel totally between a rock and a hard place.

So of course I was able to make a large repetoire of pancakes, muffins, waffles, hot cereal and bread of course from nuts. Breakfast is usually one of those with yogurt. If he can't have nuts he is going to literally freak. The ice cream I make from bananas, vanilla and butter that is such a treat will not hold him for long.

I guess the kid can now have cheese though. Maybe cheesecake with gelatin? This is going to be very very hard.

Thinking about quinoa, buckwheat and millet... some of those are seeds right?
#314 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Sorry, the tests were intradermal. The DAN/AAEM dr. we are seeing finds them most accurate.

Yes at least we are getting some answers.
#315 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Oh and candida might have been a "no reaction" but since it was next to the peanut, which blew up out of control, we couldn't tell for sure.
#316 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM

www.EatRaw.com for raw cacao nibs and powder. They are at my Whole Foods now.
#317 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 06:07 PM

Jane,

what if a lot of the reactions you saw in veggies and fruit weren't really from those items but an extension/continuation of the reaction from nuts and eggs? i'll be curious to see how things change once you remove nuts and eggs for an extended period of time and then begin to reintroduce veggies and fruits.

quinoa is a seed and is from the chenopodiaceae - very very distantly related to grasses/true grains. millet, on the other, is part of the grass family (along with wheat). buckwheat is from the polygonaceae - also very distantly related to grasses. amaranth is from the amaranthaceae - close cousin to quinoa.

some good links on cross-reactivity in allergies:
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/42.html
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/29.html
http://www.food-allergens.de/symposi...-abstract.html

#318 of 591 Old 09-15-2006, 07:01 PM

JaneS--if your DS can tolerate brown rice (it's supposed to be one of the easiest grains to digest) then you could make things with brown rice flour.
#319 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 12:34 AM

Anyone know if I could make coconut milk yogurt using probiotics as a starter? I'd like to give DD some yogurt for extra probiotics but since we can't do dairy...(and I know there is a non-dairy yogurt starter, but I wondered if I could just use the probiotics I have for her).
#320 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Anyone know if I could make coconut milk yogurt using probiotics as a starter? I'd like to give DD some yogurt for extra probiotics but since we can't do dairy...(and I know there is a non-dairy yogurt starter, but I wondered if I could just use the probiotics I have for her).
Yes, all I used was a probiotic. The gelatin is what firms the consistency of the milk, not the l.casei strain as in regular yogurt.

We create our own reality.
#321 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 02:34 AM

I got my Immunolabs IgG tests back. It is rated 0-4. I got
eggs=4 (both white and yolk)
cow milk=4
goat milk=3
gluten grains=2-4

I had probably 20 others that were mostly 1s and some 2s (tomatoes, pecans, yeasts). I am thinking the gluten, milk, and egg senstivities are here to stay. I must heal my gut!!! The candida blood test I got showed negative on 2 parts and postive on one.

I am thinking those 1s and 2s food intolerances will go away when I get the Lyme out and the gut healed. (My dr said the Lyme is taxing my immune system..my #s were half of what they should be on that blood test) Do ya'll think those senstitivties will go away? Tell me I am on the path to wellness..I need some encouragement today.

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#322 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom

Anxiety - I cant tell if its die off, or the fear that I will never be healed, and this paralell universe I feel like Im in is going to be life forever : To make matters worse, I think im developing TMJ. Ive been a big gum chewer for years (except when preg/nursing), and my jaw is also not completely straight. At my last dentist appt (new dentist) she asked me about pain, but Id never had any. I think the anxiety is causing it? Anybody with experience. Bseides letting my jaw hang slack like a stoner, which I am as much as I remember, would craniosacral or myofascial therpy help? I just changed my primary care doc to one whose into integrated medicine and does myofascial. Maybe I should actually make an appt.
Deep thoughts?
I have anxiety sometimes when I get more and more (bad) news. I start feeling overwhelmed by it all. When I was put on tons of supplements I felt anxious about sorting them all out and remembering them. Now I can't have eggs, dairy, and gluten so I need to figure out how to deal with that. I think this is common. Getting to the root of your health problems can have slower results (then drugs) so you wonder if what you are doing id even making a difference! I am sure there are lots of moms here who are feeling like that. I know I do sometimes.

I did have some jaw muscle sensitivity when my car was rear ended last year (the person was going 50 mph and I was stoppped). Have you been in a physical trama like that? My dentist said that my muscles seems inflamed and I was not opening my mouth as big. If you are anxious you could be clenching your jaw also. I do that with my upper body and facial muscles when I am tense.
s Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#323 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
www.EatRaw.com for raw cacao nibs and powder. They are at my Whole Foods now.
My dh just made raw chocolate milk by putting the raw cocoa nibs in a coffee grinder and mixing in with raw milk. Sweeten with raw honey, agave ect.

#324 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 11:23 AM

Newcastle mama - Thanks for the thoughts. I havent been in a trauma, but I have been more stressed by all this than Ive ever been in my life. Its unbelievable. Rationally I can undersatnd the whole process and know that IM making educated decisions and it takes time, but my subconscious, or something, is making me totally wired. I wake up and it hits me; jittery, flushed skin, [most likely] tense facial muscles!

For the anti-yeast mamas or those in the know, what about glycerin? Can we use it. Now that stevia is qustionable....

Also, Ive been reading up on deglycerated licorice, glucosamine sulfate, a cocavalin A. What do you think of these? Isent glucoseamine in broth?

JaneS - so sorry for the added complications. It IS good to know, and that ice-cream sounds delish.

Oh and milk thistle, what do you think/know?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#325 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Jane,

what if a lot of the reactions you saw in veggies and fruit weren't really from those items but an extension/continuation of the reaction from nuts and eggs? i'll be curious to see how things change once you remove nuts and eggs for an extended period of time and then begin to reintroduce veggies and fruits.

quinoa is a seed and is from the chenopodiaceae - very very distantly related to grasses/true grains. millet, on the other, is part of the grass family (along with wheat). buckwheat is from the polygonaceae - also very distantly related to grasses. amaranth is from the amaranthaceae - close cousin to quinoa.
Oh absolutely I think that is what it is. That the intestines are inflamed and so therefore cannot digest any carbs very well at all... they are fermenting and therefore the problems. I swear they were causing histamine reactions though too that I didn't see with the things he is supposedly allergic to but who knows at this point. It could be all delayed. Pretty amazing that I could get a semblance of normalcy with him when on enzymes and probiotics though. He did level off. I've been going back and looking at our notes and wondering if the reactions I've seen is when he had almond cookies for snack w/ no enzymes for example. And of course when I took him off them for stool testing. My mind is racing with all this!

We'll test the grains/seeds on Monday and see what happens with them.
Thanks for the links!
#326 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
JaneS--if your DS can tolerate brown rice (it's supposed to be one of the easiest grains to digest) then you could make things with brown rice flour.
This is what I'm thinking ... after it is tested and after a while when his gut calms down. We have 2 things working for us too that I didn't do before when his diet contained a lot of rice: soaking a la NT and regular enzymes. Still unsure. :
#327 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
JaneS - so sorry for the added complications. It IS good to know, and that ice-cream sounds delish.

Oh and milk thistle, what do you think/know?
Yes the ice cream is so easy, I just whip up banana, butter and vanilla with my stick blender, stick in freezer for a couple hours et voila!

Milk thistle is excellent for liver, very safe. I took it when I had my fillings out. Need a very reputable version like Gaia or Oregon Wild Harvest or Herb Pharm.
#328 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 01:34 PM

I use milk thistle seeds every day and love them.

Jane, isn't that ice cream fabulous? We occasionally add frozen strawberries, walnuts and raw cacao sauce with a whipped apple topping and call it a banana split! No nuts for you it seems, but you can play with so many different flavors. I have also made it with a coconut base.
#329 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Milk Thisle - I thought I read it is good for gut healing? It is anti-inflamatory. As is slippery elm. Do any of you take these for inflamation/healing?
__________________________________________________ _____________
Herbs

Botanical remedies can be very effective treatments for a wide range of conditions. Below are the most useful herbs for healing a leaky gut and restoring the mucosal barrier. A few of them also powerfully enhance detoxification pathways which is a further benefit for the leaky gut patient.

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
DGL has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect and is very soothing to the upper GI tract. It has been comprehensively researched and shown to be an effective treatment for ulcers of the GI tract and also to prevent damage to the intestines by aspirin (9, 10).

Silymarin (Milk Thistle)
This is one of the most powerful healing herbs there is. Most well known for its ability to protect liver cells from potent toxins, it also has a strong anti-inflammatory effect on the gut lining. Silymarin is a very good antioxidant and also increases levels of glutathione in the cells (11).

Slippery Elm
Slippery elm has a soothing, calming effect on inflamed and damaged gut lining. It is used widely for a range of gastrointestinal disorders. This soothing action can be attributed to its antioxidant action in the gut which has been proven in a number of clinical studies, some on inflammatory bowel disease patients where severe inflammation is present (12, 13). In addition, slippery elm provides mucilage which coats and protects the intestinal lining from toxins and pathogenic organisms.

Aloe
Aloe is a fantastic natural healing agent that has found uses treating a wide range of different conditions due to its multiple beneficial actions. One of aloe's active component are called mucilaginous polysaccharides which give the plant its powerful anti-inflammatory healing action. It has been widely shown to have a beneficial affect on a number of conditions involving inflammation of the gut (14, 15). In addition to its healing effect on the gut lining, aloe is also an immunomodulator and antimicrobial, both of which are beneficial to anyone suffering from leaky gut syndrome and environmental illnesses (16).

__________________________________________________ ______________

So any insight into glycerin on the anti-candida diet? I think I remember someone asking Bee but dont remember what she said. I have been making an ice-cream ( oh how my standards have changed) of cocnut oil, cinnamon, and either stevia or vanilla extract w/ glycerin. I make one batch of about 1/4 c. at a time, mix and leave in the freezer to desired consistency (5-20 min). I eat this a few times a day, so I want to know if I should use stevia or glycerin.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#330 of 591 Old 09-16-2006, 03:41 PM

saskiamom--can you post your "ice cream" recipe?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page