Healing the Gut in September - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Progurt disappointment...so I made the first batch of yogurt with my progurt dairy free starter...It didn't sour. I'm really bummed. I've had no problem with other starters. Any thoughts? Is is possible that it's "bad?" I'm always really good with my temps. I can't afford to waste the products that go into this. ANy words of wisdom?
#362 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 12:12 PM

On the efficacy of diets...there are so many factors. Rarely does anyone have a simple fungal infection. IT will depend on what the total picture is for you. I really feel at this point that there are many anti-candida diets for a reason. WIth this testing I have been doing it is very clear to me why the SCD worked so well for my body. It may not for others. 3 months was true in my case. I really seemed to clear the yeast with no problem. The leaky gut wasn't completely gone or I wouldn't be having the issues I am now. But I did do a couple of live blood cell anayses-and the yeast was gone (or at least undetectable) in the second. So we are back on the SCD to try and finish what we've started. It will be a challenge with no eggs and no dairy, but I am going to try. We are also stepping up the enzymes again.

Chinese Pistache-hmmm, it sounds like your kiddo may still be racting to something...no poop in three days (even following diarrhea) is not what you are wanting to see. Hopefully that will change soon for you. (for us too!)

Annikate-NCD is supposed to be really helpful for yeast as well, sepecially combined with Liquid Oxygen. You aren't seeing any progress?
#363 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
On the efficacy of diets...there are so many factors. Rarely does anyone have a simple fungal infection. IT will depend on what the total picture is for you. I really feel at this point that there are many anti-candida diets for a reason. WIth this testing I have been doing it is very clear to me why the SCD worked so well for my body. It may not for others. 3 months was true in my case. I really seemed to clear the yeast with no problem. The leaky gut wasn't completely gone or I wouldn't be having the issues I am now. But I did do a couple of live blood cell anayses-and the yeast was gone (or at least undetectable) in the second. So we are back on the SCD to try and finish what we've started. It will be a challenge with no eggs and no dairy, but I am going to try. We are also stepping up the enzymes again.

Chinese Pistache-hmmm, it sounds like your kiddo may still be racting to something...no poop in three days (even following diarrhea) is not what you are wanting to see. Hopefully that will change soon for you. (for us too!)

Annikate-NCD is supposed to be really helpful for yeast as well, sepecially combined with Liquid Oxygen. You aren't seeing any progress?
ff, I never thought I had a yeast problem. I'm pretty sure she's right about the ghiardia but that's a protezoa (I think - haven't looked it up.)

She thinks this diet will help the dd's yeast thing too (although I'm not convinced she's got a yeast issue either.)

So . . .

I trust her though and will try it. I guess it can't hurt in terms of killing the bacteria too right?

Think I'm gonna call our intuitive friend and find out what she thinks about it all.

ETA: Forgot to say that she found a *fungus* in my tonsils. (Which is funny, 'cause my voice has been coming and going for the last week or so.)
#364 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
a few links:

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasi...ht_giardia.htm
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap22.html (this one is worth reading for sure)
http://www.cellsalive.com/parasit.htm (a picture of the lil bugger)
http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic215.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...35/ai_12436042 (article is called "Giardia antigen detection in patients with chronic gastrointestinal disturbances")

highlights - it is usually associated with a 3-4 day course of diarrhea but can turn into a chronic problem. also associated with lactose intolerance.
Thanks for the links! Must've missed your post earlier.

Funny, I haven't had d in ages . . .
#365 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Progurt disappointment...so I made the first batch of yogurt with my progurt dairy free starter...It didn't sour. I'm really bummed. I've had no problem with other starters. Any thoughts? Is is possible that it's "bad?" I'm always really good with my temps. I can't afford to waste the products that go into this. ANy words of wisdom?
What did you do exactly? I've had issues with it in the past. I don't think the 1/4 tsp. for a half gallon milk is right for converting all lactose in 24 hrs for ex. but I know you are dairy free....
#366 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:43 PM

hey
just throwing some stuff out here while i have a brief moment.

jane-sorry about the new restrictions, but glad you have some info. my ds recently underwent a skin prick test and showed a high reaction to cashews, peanut, egg and soy. ds showed no reaction to several things that i am pretty sure bother him including dairy. our allergiest explained that his elevated IgE levels to cashews, peanuts, egg and soy demonstrate that he could have an anaphylactic reaction to them...BUT a negative result for dairy doesn't mean that he isn't intolerant or sensitive to dairy just probably not anaphylactic. two different allergiest and naturopath told us that dairy tends to come up negative if a 'fresh' sample is not used (our allergiest suggested bringing in fresh milk with our next visit to try testing again). not trying to discourage you...and not sure if your ds's testing was the same type or not....just thought i'd let you know.

my head spins every time i think i figured something else out...every time i think ds did or didn't react to something. once it all slows down, you regroup and find new ideas for meals and snacks.

i was thrilled at first with the testing, but the more i talked with the allergiest and learned that the skin test tells certain things, but not all...like how can the prick test tell how ds's body will react when he digests a particular food?..the more i became grounded and recognized that i still need to log ds's food and try to watch for reactions.

either way AT LEAST you know for sure what NOT to feed your son. good luck.
#367 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Jane-I heated the coconut milk with honey and gelatin to 110. At 105 I mixed in the starter and added it to the quart jar. I added a bit of vanilla and stuck it in the dehydrator at 115 which keeps it at 105 internally. Same as before, this starter just didn't do it. It wasn't sour, it was just firm, sweet coconut milk-basically I made pudding. Maybe I'll do 1/4 tsp per quart and see if that makes a difference. It's just getting really pricey really fast.

What was your issue with it?
#368 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Jane, if teff would work, you could try Injera. It's a grain I think but gluten free. Here is a recipe without wheat: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethnic/injera.html
Thanks, talk about coming full circle... I used to make this on the Elimination Diet! :

Wish us luck for tomorrow. Will be testing grains. And I have Rescue Remedy packed. (Forgot last time. )
#369 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The yogurt wasn't super tart at 24hrs meaning all lactose wasn't converted. I needed to add more starter or some of previous batch to get it to where it should be.
#370 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 PM

Thanks Milkamama

Regrouping indeed. That's a good idea re: fresh milk! I'm going to see if they will do it tomorrow...

Oh and to update: the coconut prick has gradually gotten a bigger wheal and is red after 48 hrs. And the peanut lump has gone down but is still there.
#371 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 PM

Wow.
#372 of 591 Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Thanks Milkamama

Regrouping indeed. That's a good idea re: fresh milk! I'm going to see if they will do it tomorrow...

Oh and to update: the coconut prick has gradually gotten a bigger wheal and is red after 48 hrs. And the peanut lump has gone down but is still there.
Poor ds! How did he do during the testing?
#373 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 AM

Good luck tomorrow, JaneS!

Anyone know anything about ketones/ketosis?
I know low-carb diets can cause ketosis, but I figured with healthy foods it wasn't a big deal since the Eskimos don't eat any (or very few) carbs and are perfectly healthy. But then I was reading "The Untold Story of Milk" and it says that the Eskimos don't have problems with ketosis because they eat mostly raw meats and fats, and people fed the same foods but cooked did have problems with ketosis. So now I'm wondering if this really low-carb anti-candida is producing ketosis (I eat 50-80 grams of carbs a day).

I'm also wondering if that is why just about everyone doing this anti-candida diet is losing a lot of weight--it would make sense if everyone is in ketosis, since the Atkins diet is designed to stimulate weight loss by producing ketosis (I know there's more to the Atkins diet than that, though).
#374 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Jane-I heated the coconut milk with honey and gelatin to 110. At 105 I mixed in the starter and added it to the quart jar. I added a bit of vanilla and stuck it in the dehydrator at 115 which keeps it at 105 internally. Same as before, this starter just didn't do it. It wasn't sour, it was just firm, sweet coconut milk-basically I made pudding. Maybe I'll do 1/4 tsp per quart and see if that makes a difference. It's just getting really pricey really fast.

I know you are using a different starter but I was using 5-6 caplets of reuteri. This whole new way of eating is pricey! And then the suppliments that don't work out...

We create our own reality.
#375 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 AM

Jane-your DS must be a little trooper! I hope the testing gives you the direction needed to help him heal. I was looking at my 'natural' laundry detergent and the cleanser in it is coconut derived, also the calendula lotion had cetyl alcohol from a coconut source, seems like coconut is everywhere.

On the candida diets...I did take diflucan when DS was 2 months old the midwife perscribed it for a 2 week course. I believe it got rid of some (most?) of it as many of my symptoms went away.(2 months later is when DS started having eczema.) I am guessing that the yeast died and my gut was left in a damaged state and so DS reacted badly to the food I was not digesting well. We have a long road ahead of us to heal and I do feel like SCD is helping us. No matter what diet one chooses to follow there are foods/suppliments that each of us do not tolerate and that once those foods are eliminated healing can progress (more)quickly. I don't know if that answers your question.

#376 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 02:30 AM

Hello everyone! I was just thumbing through the thread and enjoying the many wonderful links. I am a student nurse and would who struggles with some gut issues and thought I would throw in my $.02:

Ketosis is when your liver is forced to make glucose because your body isn't taking in enough to supply your body's needs. The brain is greedy that way. It doesn't want anything but glucose. So, if you are spilling ketones in your urine you are officially "starving" or in a "starving state" which of course makes you lose weight. It is the basis of the Atkin's diet although at some point you were supposed to add them back in until you were no longer in ketosis but not gaining weight and that was your "optimine" level of carbs.

Hope that helps. Good luck ladies.

Peace,
Shelbi
#377 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

I know low-carb diets can cause ketosis, but I figured with healthy foods it wasn't a big deal since the Eskimos don't eat any (or very few) carbs and are perfectly healthy. But then I was reading "The Untold Story of Milk" and it says that the Eskimos don't have problems with ketosis because they eat mostly raw meats and fats, and people fed the same foods but cooked did have problems with ketosis. So now I'm wondering if this really low-carb anti-candida is producing ketosis (I eat 50-80 grams of carbs a day).

I'm also wondering if that is why just about everyone doing this anti-candida diet is losing a lot of weight--it would make sense if everyone is in ketosis, since the Atkins diet is designed to stimulate weight loss by producing ketosis (I know there's more to the Atkins diet than that, though).

This is hitting on something I have been concerned about as well. Those eskimos also eat whole fish, organs and all. And they eat organ meat as well and if given a choice let the muscle meat go in favor or organ meat. I think Bee is in danger of making the same mistake so many Americans make. Distilling it down to one or two things that we can do and then running with it with a largely american diet tweaked by this one thing (for her fat to protein ratio). Plenty of healthy cultures did not have that same ratio as the eskimos so it isn't the only healthy way to eat.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#378 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM

I tried a new way to make my yogurt tonight. Instead of using regular Dannon for my starter like I've been doing, I added some of the probiotic that I got from Custom Probiotics. I hope it will work as well as the capsules because I've been trying to give dd2 1/2 cap in water and she doesn't like it. (Neither do I!)

DD1 will drink it right up in o.j. but she had some pretty significant behavioral things go on 2 days later PLUS profuse sweating and extra sleeping . . oh, and constipation too for a day. She must be much more sensitive than dd2 because #2 doesn't seem to be affected at all (and I did get *some* in her.)
#379 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

Yes, I'm wondering about this too. I have been trying to excercise more lately (semi-annual mandatory army fitness test coming up soon) and am wondering how the low-carb diet will affect my energy and muscle mass. I have always been told that the muscles need carbs for energy (especially when doing cardio). How does this play out when I am not eating many carbs? Do I need to add some higher carb (but still SCD legal) foods when I excercise? I do not want to lose any more weight, I have held steady for a couple of months.

#380 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM

I have been doing reading on coconut-derived products since I am trying to eliminate them and see if it makes a difference with DS. Here is a (partial) list:

sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate (SLS and SLES)
ammonium lauryl sulfate
cocamideopropyl betain
cocamide MEA
coconut diethanolamide
cocamide sulphate
cocamide DEA, CDEA
cetyl alcohol (can be coconut derived)
any ingredient that says "vegetable based surficant" could be coconut derived
glycerin-could also be made from coconut but I don't know if the process in making it has purified all allergenic substances

A quick check revealed that all of my ('natural') personal and laundry products have coconut derived ingredients. Coconut allergies are not common, but allergic dermatitis to coconut products are not uncommon is what I gleaned from my readings.

#381 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
EBG

Man, grains are addictive!
I've been eating NT oatmeal pretty often lately. With a ton of butter and CO. No sweetener. well it's my new comfort food. I have to get off grains again though as my candida seems to be out of control. Add progesterone. The eczema is just driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!! I can't sleep at night which never happened even during my pre-diet days. I feel like the yeast have gotten stronger instead of weaker during my healing the gut attempts.
I'm finding it really hard to give up oatmeal but I can do it, I can do it I can do it... I had been grain free for months almost a year and I've been just so discouraged that I have seen no improvement that I threw in the towel and allowed myself the oats several days a week.... very bad choice. My DDs are worse too. I need to restrict fruits and again and try no oatmeal for them either for a while. I just can't seem to get rid of diaper rashes. My 3-yold's behavior is getting intolerable and her eczema is coming back. She si either constipated of floaty. Today she was c. and her poor little but bled when she pooped. No wonder... my "dear" in-laws still feeding her SAD junk. and jelly beans!! In secret. But my baby spilled the beans so they are busted. I need to confront them about it. Also, they both wake up at night (they used to sleep good). And then I can't go back to sleep.
Pork is also out for DD #2. I gave her some the other day when everybody was eating pork chops. She was up half the night screeming. That was the only new thing. Or it could be CO? I might have given a little too much...

Oh mamas, I want to heal them and me once and for all!!!!!!

I need more success stories, please:

has anybody tried fungal defense? I thought I'd give it a shot, it has the HSOs and cellulases, oregano and other killer herbs. it's cheaper than getting OOO and probiotics and enzymes separately but it's only a 2 weeks course. And then switch to Primal defense. Also has anybody used PD for Kids over 3 years? It has b. infantis, longum and breve, I think, plus s. boulardii. How does that sound? I miss the acidophilus though.
#382 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 PM

So as many know I'm taking dd to the chiro 2x weekly. Last week I added colostrum to what she is taking. The chiro noticed a huge improvement in her that she thinks is from that. (colostrum supposedly is at least mildly anti-candida)

Also, we are doing those anthroposophical baths (or however you spell that: ) and dd had a really rough weekend following our bath on friday. We are going to be doing one a week for 4 weeks and see where that gets us. She was super fussy and clingy all weekend and today when the chiro went to adjust her head/neck she was crawling away from her (not common). The chiro said that nearly all of todays adjustments were on her head. Well, when dd was born (according to my m/w who had a much better view) the ob who delivered her "popped her head out" and she (my m/w) was wondering the other night if many of her issues stem from that. Here we are seeing that it does seem to be a piece.

I really think that untill this birth trauma is resolved her health can't be resolved either. The go hand in hand and it is at times difficult to see where one stops and the other begins.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#383 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM

Every body has a different threshold for ketosis. If you are concerned you can buy very inexpensive strips at a drugstore. Just test once a day or so and make sure you aren't spilling. Ketosis is a dangerous state to be in, and if you see ketones in the urine you would want to correct that quickly. IT puts alot of stress on the liver. No point in taxing an already stressed body more than it already is!

Nolansmum-I would use reuteri, but I can't find any (so far) that is dairy free.
#384 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Yes, I'm wondering about this too. I have been trying to excercise more lately (semi-annual mandatory army fitness test coming up soon) and am wondering how the low-carb diet will affect my energy and muscle mass. I have always been told that the muscles need carbs for energy (especially when doing cardio). How does this play out when I am not eating many carbs? Do I need to add some higher carb (but still SCD legal) foods when I excercise? I do not want to lose any more weight, I have held steady for a couple of months.
I've found that as long as I eat a lot of coconut oil I have plenty of energy...actually I feel better than I did on the SCD even though I get less sleep than I did then, and I really think it is just because of the CO. I eat a lot of it, though--8+ Tbsp/day.
#385 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
This is hitting on something I have been concerned about as well. Those eskimos also eat whole fish, organs and all. And they eat organ meat as well and if given a choice let the muscle meat go in favor or organ meat. I think Bee is in danger of making the same mistake so many Americans make. Distilling it down to one or two things that we can do and then running with it with a largely american diet tweaked by this one thing (for her fat to protein ratio). Plenty of healthy cultures did not have that same ratio as the eskimos so it isn't the only healthy way to eat.
I definitely don't agree with a lot of the people on the candidsupport group who think Bee's diet is the way to eat for life. However, I do see the point of special diets for healing (whether Bee's or the SCD or whatever). Actually hers is based on the Optimal Diet, which was invented by a Polish doctor who cured a lot of chronic and terminal diseases with it. Bee made some small modifications to it but the fat/protein/carb ratios are from that. And her diet is based on NT, so I don't think it's inherently unhealthy...other than maybe the ketosis thing which I really haven't figured out yet.
#386 of 591 Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 PM

saskiamom--I'm sorry you are feeling so discouraged. Hang in there, it will get better. If you feel really sick, you may want to back off a little--maybe stop the probiotics or the anti-fungals for a bit.
#387 of 591 Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 AM

Jane, I just read that teff is "practically gluten free" so I don't know if it would be a good idea, anyway. Sorry. Maybe fried cheese?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#388 of 591 Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 AM

Is anyone using dolomite powder for cal/mag? If so, how does it work?

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#389 of 591 Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 AM

I'm using dolomite. I just mix the powder in with water and chug it. I have no idea if it's better than another form. I do know it doesn't constipate, unlike the Solaray amino acid chelate cal/mag I bought. But I actually have somewhat loose stools. Am wondering whether it's mixing with the fat I eat and turning to soap as I've heard it can.
Please send me healing vibes, I've been down and not sure what to do about it. Dairy (cow's milk anyway) definitely gives me migraines, by the way.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#390 of 591 Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM

EBG,

I searched the forums for "diarrhea' and laned here.

Son has it, for a week now. Wonderedif it was fruit juice related and how he got it.

He LOVES apple juice and others. But jut the first page makes me think it is. What is SCD???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page