Healing the Gut in September - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I have set up accounts with my favorite companies (I am a partner in a natural health care business) so I am spending much less. It's been a lifesaver.

I do not feel that we are *completely* healed. We still have the major allergies and I have no idea if we'll ever be able to heal from those-but we are trying. Dc's has several IgE reactions, and dd has celiac disease. So I think that we will always be off of eggs, dairy, gluten and soy. I would LOVE to be able to reintroduce eggs, but I don't think it will be soon. I would also like to be able to use small amounts of raw dairy, but I am not sure that will ever happen. Soy and gluten are gone for life I think. Beyond that though...yeast and pathogens seem to be gone. Their immune systems are not overactive anymore. The rashes and cradle cap are gone. They sleep through the night. Dd's hair is growing now, and her nails are as well. We have healed alot-but I am still taking healing measures.

I'd be more confident if ds2 wasn't so severely reactive to traces of dairy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I have that saccharomyces boulardi on my list of things to possibly try--I was reading somewhere, maybe in a candida book, that it is a good candida treatment. If I remember correctly, that strain is actually one of the beneficial bacteria/yeast in water kefirs and kombucha.
Good to hear, as I hear such great things about this ND, and if sacc. boul. is good, it makes me more excited to see her. So Pattyla, you will take this/give this WITH another pro-b for the good bacteria?

As for seaweed, and things being *natural* - Bee says several things arent "natural" that dont make sense to me. What did janeS say about iodine a ways back? She had a link saying that we could all use more. I was reading up on thyroid stuff yesterday and it said several foods block iodine; cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale ... basically ALL the veggies I eat these days, and I dont think sea salt has any or much iodine. So Im getting none now? (this b/c I was looking to see if this *ting* in my throat could be goitre ) So kelp with *too much* iodine, might not be too much on this diet?

As for sacc. boul. - if I have time Ill try to find mention of it on the power of p's thread, but someone else could too....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 PM

You know, the more I read and research some of Bee's advice, the less enamored I am with it. For instance, she posted a link to a site saying that ketosis is not bad (whether it is or not I'm still not sure), but that site also says that carbs are the cause of all age-related degenerative diseases and high-carb diets cause disease. Dr. Price's research clearly proves that this is untrue as many native populations ate quite a few carbs and were healthy--Fallon says in NT that analysis of the diets of populations he studied average 40% carbs (excluded the few groups like Eskimos who ate very few carbs).

That same site also says that ketosis is okay because Eskimos ate few carbs and were in a constant state of ketosis and were healthy. But raw milk book by Ron Schmid says that the Eskimos weren't in a state of ketosis because they ate so much of their meat raw, and people fed the same diet of cooked meat were in a state of ketosis.

I guess at this point although I don't think much of a lot of Bee's advice, I still think overall the diet is good for healing for a couple of reasons: 1) A lot of people seem to get symptom relief on it, although whether they completely heal or not is another story. 2) The diet has significantly reduced my symtoms. And 3) it's based on the Optimal Diet (as far as the fat/protein/carb ratios, anyway, which a Polish doctor used to cure a lot of chronic and acute diseases, so there's at least some anecdotal evidence that it is effective. But clearly, based on Dr. Price's research, that diet is not "optimal" for life or necessary for good health...carbs are not inherently evil, fiber is not bad in whole foods, etc etc.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Certain high grade sea salts have plenty of iodine...you have to get the real stuff though.
Yes, veggies in the Brassica family can block iodine absorption.

Caedmyn: I agree completely. Different cultures had different needs in terms of macronutrients. I stay far away from anyone recommending or talkingabout an Optimal Diet. Its just not accurate or valid. Again you are in a place where you take what works, leave what doesn't.

I believe that Ketosis is dangerous-though not inherently. IT is a survival mechanism employed by our bodies in times of need to prevent catabolization of muscle tissue. It's inducing an unnatural state for a prolonged period of time that is unhealthful. It puts significant stress on on the liver and kidneys. It creates an imbalance in the body. IT is there for a reason, and for that we should all be grateful. We should not be exploiting it-especially not if you are already experiencing problems as all of us here are. JMHO.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
(I am a partner in a natural health care business)
I see these little snippets that firefaery posts around here and realize there's a whole lot to firefaery that I don't know. Owning a gym, weight training, and other past ventures.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
annikate--are you giving your DD's l. reuteri straight or culturing it in yogurt? How much are they getting? Do you use a dairy free version?
I have done both and I've recently finished an experiment where I cultured the pbs from Custom Probiotics in the yogurt. It does not contain l. reuteri.

I like the l.reuteri much better (at least for dd1.) Dd2 I'm not too sure about yet. She's a tough one to figure. Just when I think I'm sure that something is helping her I'm WRONG again.

No, my version is not dairy free but it seems to do okay for dd1 who is highly sensitive to dairy.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM

It's scary, isn't is? Most of it I fell into. I never would have chosen to open a gym on my own-ever! That was dh's thing and we partnered up. I was already certified (with a crap certification) because when I stopped performing it was an easy way to make decent $. Dh has been a personal trainer for almost 15 years. He has pushed me further than I thought I would ever go on this path!

I started getting more into natural health about 7 years ago and chose to try and pursue it. I fell backwards into a relationship with a woman I contacted about vaccinations about 5 years ago. SHe has become a great friend and knows more than I could ever hope to know about, well, EVERYTHING! I ended up working for her in a natural health practice (along with other fabulous practitioners) and we decided a year ago to start a separate business. We put together several things, my favorite of which is a Kit that is designed to help treat medical situations naturally and at home. I love it, it's been my pet for awhile now.

It's been a long and winding path, and it's been interesting, but I finally feel like I'm at home. What I really want to do is get into some more esoteric stuff, but right now I am starting a program in nutrition that I hope can really better my understanding of how the body works and what it needs to function optimally. Dh is thrilled as he is already trying to make it a part of what he offers as a trainer. It may yet happen as I very much enjoy working with him. Who knows, right? At least all of this madness with my kids has led to something.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I have that saccharomyces boulardi on my list of things to possibly try--I was reading somewhere, maybe in a candida book, that it is a good candida treatment. If I remember correctly, that strain is actually one of the beneficial bacteria/yeast in water kefirs and kombucha.

annikate--are you giving your DD's l. reuteri straight or culturing it in yogurt? How much are they getting? Do you use a dairy free version?

ETA: it's only kombucha that contains the s. boulardi.
This is very interesting. My chiro thinks that the kombucha is having a very positive effect on dd.....

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 10-01-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
when I stopped performing
And that's exactly my point. I have a vague memory of "performing" from another thread and I thought "wow."

Interesting. All of it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:24 PM

It has been-though I can't say I've done anything as cool and worthwhile as writing a book (unless you count the ones I've done for my kids in crayon!) It's you I find fascinating!

Tangent: dontcha wonder what it would be like to really get to know people you come into contact with online? Like if everyone in theis thread got together once a week to discuss new avenues of healing. I mean everyone has really cool bits to them. It would be so neat to know those things! We could all live vicariously through each other...Gale Force-you offered on another thread. Can we start at your place? I'd LOVE to see that house in person!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Very interesting posts today! You all are such a wealth of information. I think I would be intimidated meeting you .

Sorry I have to be selfish and ask... DS has a stuffy nose and cannot breath out of it at all. I tried giving him hepar sulph calc but it was in a lactose base and made his rash flair up. Is there something else I can do for him, other than nurse him al ot? He nurses for a couple seconds and then gasps for air. He doesn't get much milk and then he bites (he also just got 3 teeth this week.) Maybe something I could find at Whole Foods?

We create our own reality.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Tangent: dontcha wonder what it would be like to really get to know people you come into contact with online? Like if everyone in theis thread got together once a week to discuss new avenues of healing. I mean everyone has really cool bits to them. It would be so neat to know those things! We could all live vicariously through each other...Gale Force-you offered on another thread. Can we start at your place? I'd LOVE to see that house in person!
Yes! I'd be up for that. That's why I this thread so much. The best mamas on MDC are here.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Nolansmum-Rosemary, sandalwood or eucalyptus essential oil in an atomizer or on his chest with carrier oils. You could also put some Tom's of Maine chest rub on yourself and let him inhale it. I like to also put essential oils in the tub with my babes and or the shower and just hold them while the room steams up and the fragrance distributes. You can buy homeopathics that are dairy free-for future reference. That's probably all I would do for a babe. HTH.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 PM

It would be great to have you all over. I just met MyLittleWonders from the traditional foods forum on Friday. We both went to the Organic Pastures press conference. There were lots of really cool people there.

If any of you are looking for a place to live in California but, in the middle of nowhere at the same time, call me.

Is there technology now for a group chat with video? Can you see having your screen open with fifteen different video streams from each person in the chat? It would be a group video teleconference. It must be out there, just maybe not all that accessible to us yet. I wouldn't even know how to do a video chat with one person.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Thank you FF! I actually have some eucaliptus and will use it in the morning for him, or tonight if he cannot sleep. I would like to get a 'basic kit' of homeopathics that are dairy free now, everything that I have has lactose.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:47 PM

Wouldn't it just be cool to see what other people look like? I know I would love that! I'm a very visual person and have my ideas...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM

Visual here too and have ideas as well. I'll bet $ though that my ideas would be waaay off.

There was a thread in TAO a long time ago where people posted pics. I didn't really know anybody then so I don't remember anyone except ArtGodess(I think) because I thought she was gorgeous!

Here are a couple of factoids about me:
I used to fly glider planes.
I am also a writer.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 PM

I would love find out more, esp pics. I love seeing pics of the kids and from that I try and envision what you mammas look like.

Annikate-no wonder your ideas are expressed so eloquently. What do you write?

Verbal expression is not my strong area- I am a musician, a violist. And I make jewelry, something I haven't done since DS was born and I miss it.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I would love find out more, esp pics. I love seeing pics of the kids and from that I try and envision what you mammas look like.

Annikate-no wonder your ideas are expressed so eloquently. What do you write?

Verbal expression is not my strong area- I am a musician, a violist. And I make jewelry, something I haven't done since DS was born and I miss it.
Thanks but my brain has NOT been firing correctly lately and truth be told I've done very little writing since dd2 was born. My latest is a middle reader and I've started on another project which is a secret for now 'cause I'm *thinking* of asking some MDC mamas to contribute.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 PM

Annikate-how cool! I can't imagine flying a plane!

Nolansmum-I would love to be musically inclined. My mother plays the violin-I wish I could!

Anyone else? This is neat!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:15 PM

I was a teenager. I'd do it again though!

Anybody wanna play a guessing game?
ff - you are tall w/long dark hair.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Hmmm. I'm 5'6 and do have long hair. It's somewhere between red and brown. In my earlier life (before kids and when I was working) it was about waist length and flaming red (not naturally!)

Annikate-my height, short curly brown hair. Geez, could we get more OT

Amanda and Jane-it would be cheating because I've seen pics.

Caedmyn-I've always pictured you with dark hair, medium length and straight.

It should probably be a different thread, but then I wouldn't learn about all of YOU!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM

I guess we hijacked the thread
Annikate- I picture curly red hair and petite.

FF-I am now evisioning you as a dancer

caedmyn- I picture with glasses

Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM

NO fair. I wanna see Jane and Amanda too.

Almost 5'7" - have always been darkish blonde and medium length. Recently went darker and shoulder length. No curls though. Pin straight. Poor dds have inherited my hair too.

Okay mamas, lets post pics. I'll post sometime this week if I can but will only leave it up for a little while. I'm weird about that. Don't know why though since dds pics are in my siggy.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I guess we hijacked the thread
Annikate- I picture curly red hair and petite.

FF-I am now evisioning you as a dancer

caedmyn- I picture with glasses
ff, you've got a reputation now.

Curly hair. I wish.

Nolansmum, I picture you as being thin and *wispy* with a long straight nose. (I'll tell you my reason for this later.)

This is cracking me up!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 PM

Betcha caedmyn is short w/short-ish hair.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 PM

I *think* Amanda's is in her sig. Jane posted -hmmm-maybe last year with a pic of her and her GORGEOUS boy. I was shocked at her pic!

HA! The reputation doesn't even come close. Welllllll, close-ish.

You know we are all gonna have to post our pics now! If only I knew how
If only I could scan one from a couple of years ago...you'd never look at me the same way again! :
Old 10-01-2006, 11:42 PM

I figured Jane was hot.

No pics from yesteryear allowed. Funny how motherhood changes EVERYTHING. It even changed the way I look. Oh, wait a minute, I look like crap now because I'm SLEEP DEPRIVED.

Off to look for Amanda...You do know you started this don't you GF?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 PM

I think we need silliness around here once in a while, laughter is good for the gut.

Hmm, a long straight nose?? I am 5'6' and on the thinner side (thanks to BF and SCD) and I just got my hair cut, it is kind of 'whispy'!

I almost don't want to see pics of Jane and Amanda, I guess I have them on a pedistal and if I saw pictures they would become more ...real.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 PM

I think you'd make an exception for my yesteryear pics

User Tag List