Healing the Gut in September - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great info here! :

I've been doing a SCD for about a month. Dd and I still have candida issues. From what I've been reading here we may need to cut back on the fruit. I'm also thinking about adding soaked grains (ie-brown rice, quinoa, millet are the best I think??) and beans back into our diet. I'm taking enzymes and probiotics but I think I need to be more on track with taking them.

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Was going to ask the same question! Sometimes it's hard to tell but if you know your fertile time, there won't be any question.
Nope, I know it was coming from my bum area. BUT I am having fertile CM too, so maybe it just got moved back there with my undies? I dunno. Never thought about that.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:54 AM

Subbing:

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 PM

I'm subbing so I can and :.

My 'gut' background: I have Fibromyalgia with IBS (diagnosed in 2000) and I'm sick of feeling sick all the time. I'm sick of being in pain. I'm sick of getting two bites of food into my mouth and already feeling the urge to get to the bathroom (in many cases that's how I've discovered some of my food triggers, but when it's a casserole or something, it's hard to pinpoint which specific food). I'm sick of feeling bloated and crampy whether it's PMS-time or not. I'm sick of always feeling I need to go, and even when I do, having it hurt all the way down.

And finally. Finally. I am ready to really do something about it.

I have Karen DeFelice's book (Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Conditions, which just rocks!), since I was looking into Enzymes for my DDs (and possibly DS down the line). I think I will be ordering No-Fenol, ZymePrime, and Peptizyde, and while I wait for them, I'm going to take the plunge and start the SCD diet, at least for myself. I checked out an SCD Foods List and realized I have a lot to give up, but I do have a lot that I get to keep (Like some cheeses. I love cheese). I already avoid some of the 'allowed' foods, though, as they are known food triggers for me.

I'm going to wait for a long weekend or vacation I think before trying anything new with the girls (Enzymes I mean). They are doing well so far, and I'm afraid to tip the scales in the wrong direction without having plenty of time to just hold tight and ride the wave. KWIM? But the diet I will be able to implement sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and will be following along with great interest.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
EBG

Quote:
THis is just MO, but I do believe that the SCD will help your ds. It helped my dd immensely. I think the disillusionment here about the SCD relates to candida issues only.

I wouldn't let this one article sway you away from trying the SCD.

SCD works wonderfully for my DD even with yeast. It doesn't work for me, but it does for her. I don't know why, maybe her yeast is mild and mine is systemic (and has been here for more than 10 years.)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM

Anyone tried Goji Juice? It's supposed to help w/digestion, acne, cancer, aids the body during chelation.

I'm going to get some and add this to our ever-growing repetoire. . .
Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 PM

I use goji juice in my smoothies. It's yummy, but my kids just munch on the berries all day long.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Jane, what kind of kefir will you be giving ds? Goat milk kefir? Water kefir?
Raw goat's milk. I'm considering water kefir made with juice but still not sure of that b/c I pulled all juices ex. lemon a long time ago. Maybe with pear juice... hmmm. He doesn't do well on fructose is the issue. Pears are low in fructose.

And I don't think he'd drink "hooch" (Amanda's version of super vinegary water kefir). Speaking of that A., how do you get your DS to drink that stuff and which one??
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi
This is definitely true for us. I am not going to abandon the SCD for DD because it has been hands down by far the most beneficial intervention or therapy of any kind. It isn't getting rid of the yeast, but it is doing DD buckets of good in other ways. She had remarkable gains within a month of trying it. I would definitely give it a try if nothing else.
I would say this too. It is at least worth a try. It's easier than a strict candida diet for kids too. For us, we are keeping SCD foods for a while b/c I do have a basic diet for DS which he does stabilize on, it's just very hard to keep him on it.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 PM

For the person who asked about "bottled" probiotics: Nature's Way Reuteri is serving us very well right now. DS's poops finally firm up with this and I highly recommend it for anyone with diarrhea.

Random Update on Me:

Coffee is NOT good, not good at all!! My stomach felt so horrible yesterday after having it.

But today I forgot my enzymes when I ate some yummy (traditional sprouted) French Meadow Cinnamon Raisin bread and no reactions whatsoever.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Welcome Fullofgrace!

Will you try enzymes for yourself? The high proteases between meals are supposed to be very good for Fibromyalgia.

Go very slowly with your littles, it took a while for my guy not to be hyperactive on them.

Great SCD list! TY
Old 09-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkamama
yet, i must confess that upon reading btvc, i was convinced that scd way THE way to go.

it is soooo confusing and difficult to watch a child suffer...want to heal them...want to do the right thing.
Oh yes, welcome to this crazy state of constant questioning! :

BTVC does make sense and has been clinically proven to work. But I think the fact that it was on adults may make a difference too? Who knows. But along this path at least I feel like I'm further along than when I started with DS. I've certainly learned a lot and in many ways he is doing wonderfully. I never should have weaned him though... (didn't do that for SCD but it just worked out that way)
Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 PM

FF,

Yes do write more when you are ready! I'm very interested in all of this.

Raw cacao is very high in magnesium right? maybe that is why the rec for evening?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:23 PM

happy labor day
quick question for you all...with a bit of background

ds1 (3 yo) who is very healthy and has shown no evidence of gut issues/allergies (with the exception of a milk intolerance that he outgrew), caught what i thought was a little bug two thursdays ago. he had a slight fever and diarrhea for a whole day...complained of belly pains. he woke the next day feeling much better...eating and drinking normally, BUT has complained of belly pains since and has had loose (very loose sometimes), stinky bm's since (some days four or five bms). i have been alternating him on NOW brand 8 billion acidolphilus & bifidus, JARROW baby's jarro-dophilus and a blend from custom probiotics (purchased for ds2 and i) starting the day he got sick. there is on occasion what appears to be mucus in the bm. any thoughts...advice is greatly appreciated.

other than the pains in the belly which only happen right before a bm or during, he seems absolutely fine.

thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
THis is just MO, but I do believe that the SCD will help your ds. It helped my dd immensely. I think the disillusionment here about the SCD relates to candida issues only.

I wouldn't let this one article sway you away from trying the SCD.
i totally appreciate your opinion...
i do believe that btvc and scd have a great deal to offer...ds is sooo intolerant of sooo many things that he isn't eating enough or hardly gaining. at this point i just feel like some quinoa maybe some buckwheat every few days might be ok for him. we've be on scd all summer and he has gained a mere 7oz. since i am still bfing, we are both on fruit, meat and veggies...way tough with a 20 mth old who is just 20 lbs. it is just difficult to know what the right thing to do is...where's my crystal ball when i need it?

any way...i have not totally abandoned scd...i've just modified it a bit for us. ds had quinoa yesterday with breakfast and dinner and seems (so far at least) to have done ok (no crying, belly pain, constipation, skin break-outs). there are sooo many scd illegals that he can't have anyway. a while back someone mentioned feeling like a mad scientist...yeah...me too!!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Oh yes, welcome to this crazy state of constant questioning! :

BTVC does make sense and has been clinically proven to work. But I think the fact that it was on adults may make a difference too? Who knows. But along this path at least I feel like I'm further along than when I started with DS. I've certainly learned a lot and in many ways he is doing wonderfully. I never should have weaned him though... (didn't do that for SCD but it just worked out that way)
i hear you on the weaning...we didn't wean, but sometimes the frustration and guilt i feel when i nurse ds and he starts itching or having belly problems stinks!! i know that bm is the best for him...

thanks for the welcome...i've been in this state for some time now...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
I use goji juice in my smoothies. It's yummy, but my kids just munch on the berries all day long.
oooh, I didn't know you could get the berries. Where do you get them from?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 AM

Nature's First Law or eat raw... www.eatraw.com www.rawfood.com
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 AM

hi everyone,

My son is 8.5 and sees a DAN (defeat autism now) Dr. for autistic symptoms, adhd, processing issues... His latest stool sample results showed that he is very high in yeast and the Dr. recommended him taking a product called Candicid without talking at all about nutritional changes. Has anyone ever used this before? Does anyone have any thoughts on doing something like this instead of drastically changing the diet? He is a BIG fruit eater and I would hate to take this away from him...

I would very much appreciate any opinions on this! I am very overwhelmed trying to sort through his issues and all the info that goes along with them.

Lynsey
Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
For the person who asked about "bottled" probiotics: Nature's Way Reuteri is serving us very well right now.
My ds is 2 and 28 pounds. Should I break open a capsule and put it into his goat yogurt? (Also, is one capsule too much? Not enough?)

THANKS!!
Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Nature's First Law or eat raw... www.eatraw.com www.rawfood.com
About the juice. FF, have you studied the best place to get it in terms of authenticity and price? I'm reading all these things about making sure it's from the *real* berries. How do you know? I don't want to waste my $ yk?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Welcome Fullofgrace!
Will you try enzymes for yourself? The high proteases between meals are supposed to be very good for Fibromyalgia.
Go very slowly with your littles, it took a while for my guy not to be hyperactive on them.
Great SCD list! TY
Oooh thanks for that bit of info about proteases and Fibro. I had been planning on ordering them today, but now I'm even more motivated to try them.

That's good to know about the potential for hyperactivity, too. DD#2, who we already know has major behavioral triggers from dairy, already has issues in that area, so I will be very careful to go super slow with her. Thanks!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM

I just ordered the enzymes. I decided I only wanted to pay shipping once, so I ordered the chewables for the girls at the same time. $$$, but it's going to be worth it. I just know it.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama
My ds is 2 and 28 pounds. Should I break open a capsule and put it into his goat yogurt? (Also, is one capsule too much? Not enough?)
That should work, but I cannot tell you how much he will need or not...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2baldie
hi everyone,

My son is 8.5 and sees a DAN (defeat autism now) Dr. for autistic symptoms, adhd, processing issues... His latest stool sample results showed that he is very high in yeast and the Dr. recommended him taking a product called Candicid without talking at all about nutritional changes. Has anyone ever used this before? Does anyone have any thoughts on doing something like this instead of drastically changing the diet? He is a BIG fruit eater and I would hate to take this away from him...

I would very much appreciate any opinions on this! I am very overwhelmed trying to sort through his issues and all the info that goes along with them.

Lynsey
Welcome

Well all DAN doctors do practice differently. Did you just start seeing them? Are you going GFCF? What else is in your plan?

Wow, that Candicid looks powerful, lots of stuff in there...

The thing with yeast is that if your gut is not digesting any carb food properly, the yeast will feed on it. Maybe if the yeast isn't too bad, some kind of killer plus probiotic will help some people. But it doesn't do it for many. Are you using probiotics? With ASD kids it often comes hand in hand with metal problems, usually mercury b/c that kills off the good bacteria in the gut.

It's so hard to say what will work for each individual. I will tell you though that I think Karen DeFelice's book is a must read: www.enzymestuff.com

Enzymes with any yeast killer will help it work better at the very least. See Yeast/Bacteria link on her site.

Also the Autism Mercury Yahoo group is fantastic for real life advice, these parents have been through it all.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkamama
happy labor day
quick question for you all...with a bit of background

ds1 (3 yo) who is very healthy and has shown no evidence of gut issues/allergies (with the exception of a milk intolerance that he outgrew), caught what i thought was a little bug two thursdays ago. he had a slight fever and diarrhea for a whole day...complained of belly pains. he woke the next day feeling much better...eating and drinking normally, BUT has complained of belly pains since and has had loose (very loose sometimes), stinky bm's since (some days four or five bms). i have been alternating him on NOW brand 8 billion acidolphilus & bifidus, JARROW baby's jarro-dophilus and a blend from custom probiotics (purchased for ds2 and i) starting the day he got sick. there is on occasion what appears to be mucus in the bm. any thoughts...advice is greatly appreciated.

other than the pains in the belly which only happen right before a bm or during, he seems absolutely fine.

thanks
Probably just a virus, might just take a while for the good bacteria to regrow. I would up the Vitamin C and Vitamin A (high vit. cod liver oil) and take away sugar and juice for a while.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 PM

DS will be going in for several sessions of intradermal allergy testing in next few weeks. Both food and environmental. And blood tests too. Wish us luck, he's never been stuck with a needle since birth!

His CDSA was pretty normal except for the EPX, a marker of inflammation was in the red. And of course the previous bacterial testing which we didn't repeat. The Putrefactive SCFA's were slightly high but just yellow range not red. Same with another toxin Beta Glucuronidase. Both of those are correlated with bacterial overgrowth.

No mucus. No blood. His Pancreatic Elastase protein digesting enzyme was super high (that is good). I'm knocked over with a feather that there were no meat fibers and rare vegetable fibers. (And he was off enzymes for a week beforehand.)

No yeast, I sneaked that on in there again. Why on earth does raw fruit send his poops to mush then?? :

Why has he been a nightmare since going off enzymes for testing?

It's a good thing this child is so cute.

:
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM

Jane-good luck with the testing, hopefully there will be some results that give a clue to what is going on inside the little guy.

I had a rough weekend of cheating and I feel horribly guilty (only mildly bloated. )My Dad was in town and I swear he was sabotaging my diet by bringing all my favorite sweets into the house and leaving them out on the counter. I want to get to the point where I not only don't crave bad things but to where I can look at them and not want them and still watch other people eating them. I feel like a bad mom because after 2+ months I still cannot control myself around food.

We create our own reality.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:09 AM

Jane-poor little man! I'm so sorry that you are still chasing things. Love your new sig. by the way.

Ds is still having mucousy poo. I hate it. He's not super gassy anymore. The lack of seediness in it weirds me out. I'm trying a new probiotic after much research. Dear god I hope it helps. My diet has been great. I find it so easy to do the SCD after having done it for so long. I feel good on it and it requires almonst no effort. I do sneak one things in every now and again which is the cacao. I just had it again for the first time today when I made raw brownies. We'll see if the reading was right!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Welcome

Well all DAN doctors do practice differently. Did you just start seeing them? Are you going GFCF? What else is in your plan?

Wow, that Candicid looks powerful, lots of stuff in there...

The thing with yeast is that if your gut is not digesting any carb food properly, the yeast will feed on it. Maybe if the yeast isn't too bad, some kind of killer plus probiotic will help some people. But it doesn't do it for many. Are you using probiotics? With ASD kids it often comes hand in hand with metal problems, usually mercury b/c that kills off the good bacteria in the gut.

It's so hard to say what will work for each individual. I will tell you though that I think Karen DeFelice's book is a must read: www.enzymestuff.com

Enzymes with any yeast killer will help it work better at the very least. See Yeast/Bacteria link on her site.

Also the Autism Mercury Yahoo group is fantastic for real life advice, these parents have been through it all.
Thanks for your response Jane.

To answer your questions, we have been seeing this Dr. for several months now, but we just completed all the testing she ordered for my son.

We found that he has a number of food allergies. Soy, dairy, corn, egg, pork and wheat being a few of them. Soy was the most severe according to their testing, but I really have my doubts about how reliable it is... Anyways, after that part of the testing was complete I was given a prescription for allergy shots to give him twice a week because they said that I wouldn't be able to cut all of those foods out of his diet.

He is also low in B vitamins, has low glutathione (which a lotion was prescribed for) and has an intestinal parasite called dientamoeba fragilis trophs that was found in moderate amounts in his stool, in addition to the yeast overgrowth. He has not been tested for heavy metal poisoning.

I have been reading about the GFCF diet and would like to try this, but am unsure of how well it will work considering that I won't have the support of my husband or my mom (my only other family). My mom is horrible about feeding my children junk, she wouldn't handle us being on a special diet very well at all. I did join a yahoo group for gfcf recipes/families and looking at many of the recipes I saw that most of them have foods he has an allergy to, so I am not sure what to do about that.

Yes, he does take probiotics everyday, but he is still low in beneficial bacteria. I am not sure if what I am giving him is the best product or not though. His Dr. recommended something called "Ultra Flora DF" that comes in capsule form.

Thank you for the book and support group recommendations. I am just so overwhelmed. The 1st time someone mentioned autism to me was when he was around 2, the 1st time I took him to be evaluated he was 3 and the woman tried to write me a prescription for a ritalin-type drug. She said to me "If he had another illness you would give him medication right? It is the same thing. He is sick and he needs medicine."

I never took their prescriptions, but I did give him antibiotics for his endless ear infections and dutifully took him in to well-appointments for his many, many vaccinations. I know that I was doing what I thought I was supposed to do, but it is sad to know that I have helped cause many of his problems. At least I realized the truth before causing any harm to my younger children.

Lynsey

User Tag List