#121 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
EBG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e
Thanks

I'm taking salmon oil I have cod liver oil though I can take. Cant remember brand its upstiars right now. I also take garlic, and GSE. Oh and my Prenatel Vitamin ( natures sunshine ) it sits well.

My diet has been Complex carbs no refined sugar. I have dark chocolate everyonce an awhile other wise I'd dye . Um no colors , preservatives , hydroganated oils ect.

#1.Would canberry juice be good to drink?

#2.What yogurt maker is good for the $$? I just did lactose free milk ( just a sip) so far so good would I be able to make Yogurt with lactose free milk?

My DD is allergic to all animal milk ( other than mine ) protien even in yogurt. I'll have to stick to soy for her till she gets older right? She just stops listening and is restless ( when she was and infant she used to vomit if I ate it), otherwise she is normal without it : .

**added**

the probiotic you listed is more than half cheaper than the one I take. here is what I take ( 3x day) and I'm not getting better infact worse :

http://www.smartbomb.com/rl53551.html

I think CLO is enough you don't need extra salmon oil. Dosage: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

GSE is not really safe during pregnancy. The only yeast killer thing you can do is garlic.

I use a Salton yogurt maker. Amazon has them and also bedbathandbeyond.com for about 15 bucks plus shipping. Makes a quart. You can try raw milk yogurt to see if your D tolerates that better. Her problem with milk protein could be due to pasteurization. If not, you can make coconut milk yogurt, too.

I second the recommendation for Culturelle. There is a ton of research on it's benefits during pregnancy. It helps prevent allergies/dermatitis later for infants. It's about 17 bucks in Walmart, and about 21 in CVS and HFS-s. Look for the falt box with no inulin.

Please don't give her soy :

cranberry juice can be drunk for short periods to prevent/cure UTIs. Otherwise, it's still high in sugar for candida.

I'm another yeasty mama who gave birth to 2 yeasty babies and had no idea until recently. Now I'm trying to heal all of us...
At least you can give your unborn baby the best nutrition.
Every day: bone broths, two eggs, CLO, acerola/amla for vitamin C, liver if you don't gag , coconut oil, probiotics, butter butter butter, no vegetable oils or soy. Meat, veggies, fruits. Try to see if you can go witout grains, if not, try only soaked/fermented oatmeal, buckwheat or quinoa. Quinoa is helpful for lactating women. Tnese are better than prenatals.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
#122 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
EBG

[QUOTE=momandmore2]Thanks for replying to my questions, EBG. No, I started all of the probiotics at different times. I know the selenium was causing a lot of the problem. My symptoms got better after I stopped taking it. I think I need a different form/brand. The one I was taking had yeast in it (that should've been my first clue). I was taking 200 mg a day. Unfortunately I can't find a good source of brazil nuts.

When you say I might have "bacterial overgrowth," what do you mean and how do I treat it?

I think you're right about the grains. I'm addicted to them--I don't eat sugar anymore, which is good, but I've replaced them with the next closest thing, grains. I just don't feel full unless I've got a belly-full of bread, rice, oatmeal, etc. So you recommend I cut down and see what happens? Or should I just try the SCD diet and see what happens?

YOu are right about the yeast in the selenium supplement. The seleniuj itself shouldn't cause problems at that dosage. I get my brazil nuts at trader joe,s soak them and slow roast them and store them in the refrigerator and eat 1-2 a day. They are very high in selenium. But supplements are OK, howver, don't go over the 200 mcg.

Studying stools here: http://enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm

Yes, grains still turn to sugar even if they are whole and they bactera/yest thrive on them. You might want to eliminate them for a while, like on the SCD.

Eating fat with meals (skin with chicken, butter on everything and coconut oil) will make you feel fuller, you don't need grains. If you try the SCD< you will probably see after a month if it's working.
#123 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
This is what I think too. DS had those fluffy poo's and not sleeping and hands in his mouth, chewing on his fingers. Seems like yeast to me? He is still in diapers at night so cannot do the OAT test.
I'd think it was yeast for sure. The way we tell when DD's yeast is flaring is poo changes and she starts acting truly drunk, giggling and stumbling around and waking up at night giggling and being in a state that she doesn't seem aware of her surroundings. Then it alternates with almost being like a hangover when she has a headache, hates bright lights and wants no human contact...greatly interfering with therapy.

Actually DD is not the slightest bit potty trained and we were still able to do an OAT. I stick urine collection bags in her diaper, which she hates and doesn't work terribly well but we can usually get barely enough for labwork. I know some OATs require full first morning urine etc but maybe it varies by the lab. The one we did was as a part of the Metametrix ION panel but it's available individually also I think...they just needed 12 mls of first morning urine which we got from an overnight urine collection bag.
#124 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Hi all I was on the I belive May healing the gut tribe and I found out I was pregnant and got distracted

I have a couple questions if anyone can help. My PH was off at my last MW appointment, ANd I'm felling yeasty in the gut again ( I was doing so well) I switched digestive enzymes and proboitis to the H.O.P.E formula stuff and I'm wondering if that was the problem. Its the 50 billion probiotic and well I'm wondering now if it was money best spent elswhere ( its almost $40 I belive)

So I'm doing Garlic and fish oil right now to fight the yeast. I now can no longer handle dairy so I think I'm worse.

#1. what probiotic is good?
#2. what herbs are same during pregnancy for Candida infections?

I'm thinking of getting a yogurt maker and seeing if I can tolerate whole yogurt that is home made? Sigh I'm getting worried and overwhelmed worring about this new baby being born to the yeast queen
I have recently learned that clove is anti yeast. You could drink clove tea to fight the yeast safely durring pg.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#125 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
This is what I think too. DS had those fluffy poo's and not sleeping and hands in his mouth, chewing on his fingers. Seems like yeast to me? He is still in diapers at night so cannot do the OAT test.
I didn't know that chewing on fingers was a yeast thing. My dd does that all the time! Although it seems to be abating somewhat now.

our family is <>< and :
#126 of 591 Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Hum I thought GSE was safe from what I read. My MW said it was ok also... can you tell me more

Ok the yogurt maker is on the list. I tried raw cows milk for myslef but not DD the lactose was still to much for me in the raw

Good resipes for coconut milk yogurt?

Sigh DD loves soy milk but I'll switch to rice or almond... those ok?

Sigh I'll just have to do the meat veggie fruit thing

Thanks!
#127 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Hum I thought GSE was safe from what I read. My MW said it was ok also... can you tell me more

Ok the yogurt maker is on the list. I tried raw cows milk for myslef but not DD the lactose was still to much for me in the raw

Thanks!
I have been making coconut milk yogurt. It tastes pretty good:
2 cans coconut milk (full fat)
2 T honey
2 T gelatin
1 packet yogurt starter
vanilla
http://www.giprohealth.com/Merchant2...y_Code=ProGurt
Heat the milk, honey and gelatin. allow to cool to 110 add yogurt starter. Let culture at 110 for 8-10 hrs.

You can also try fermented foods.

We create our own reality.
#128 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:06 AM

Oh mamas

Thank you for being there for me all these months, I am so grateful for all that I have learned from you.

I'm taking some time from Mothering to focus on healing my son.

Much love and peace to all of you,
Amy
#129 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
enzymes between meals--I can't tell if they're helping or not. They're not producing die-off symptoms. I haven't been all that great at remembering to take them, though, and the crappy diet doesn't help. I think I'll have 5 or 6 days worth left when I get back home and I'm going to take the rest of them while I'm back on the anti-candida program to hopefully help jump-start healing again.

The more I think about it, the more I feel the anti-candida program was helping me. When I started it I had mild acne, which improved although it didn't entirely clear up (maybe improved 75%). I had more energy and felt pretty good in spite of getting up 3 or more times a night with DD. I've also had sensitive front teeth for years, and this week I realized that had gone away on the diet, too (it's back after my junk food binge but hopefully will go away again quickly). I just need to stop obsessing about how long healing is taking, and why I still have gas, and when is my digestion going to be *perfect*.

Somebody mentioned something about sugar cravings on the anti-candida diet...I had horrible sugar cravings for about 2-3 weeks after I started the diet and didn't cheat. Then they completely went away.
It was me who was having a hard time with sugar cravings. I was trying to do the anticandida diet because I was so close to it anyway but it is too hard for me right now. I decided to stick with SCD, it has helped so much already in the 3 months I have been doing it. I allow myself a little treat with honey and it is enough to keep the cravings at bay and my mind from thinking about food the whole day.

I did the spit test for yeast and it floated like a blob-does this mean the yeast is under control? Should I do the test every few days?

#130 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 AM

This may sound weird... would there be benefits to making yogurt out of BM for DS?

#131 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Oh mamas

Thank you for being there for me all these months, I am so grateful for all that I have learned from you.

Amy
Amy my prayers go with you.

our family is <>< and :
#132 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Oh mamas

Amy
Amy-I wish you peace and strength!

#133 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 AM

Yogurt - ugh. Just opened my first batch, and I made a pint, but got about 2c. of soft yogurt, the rest was whey. I boiled a pint of milk, cooled it, added 1/4c yogurt mixed with itbsp primadophilus childrens. Let it sit in the salton for 24 hrs. Ideas? I *may* have cooled the milk too much, it was right at 110 when I added everything. Im disappointed. The kids say it tastes good, but what to do with the whey (I saved it), and should I use yogurt from this batch for the next?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#134 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom
Yogurt - ugh. Just opened my first batch, and I made a pint, but got about 2c. of soft yogurt, the rest was whey. I boiled a pint of milk, cooled it, added 1/4c yogurt mixed with itbsp primadophilus childrens. Let it sit in the salton for 24 hrs. Ideas? I *may* have cooled the milk too much, it was right at 110 when I added everything. Im disappointed. The kids say it tastes good, but what to do with the whey (I saved it), and should I use yogurt from this batch for the next?
I'd recommend investing in a candy thermometer so you can be sure of the right temp. Heat the milk until it's 180 degrees, cool it to 110-115 in a sink of cold water. When the milk is cool, mix a couple of cups of it with a live yogurt starter (about ¼ cup for 4 quarts is what I use; you can probably use some from the batch you just made), then add it all back into the big pan of milk and mix well. Then divide the milk-yogurt mixture into your jugs. Then incubate at 110-115 degrees for 12-24 hours. I usually put mine in a cooler with some jars of hot water that I re-heat throughout the day, but you can put the thermometer in the oven to check the temp in there. It's very important to maintain the temperature while its incubating. Too high and you'll kill it, too low and it won't turn to yogurt (which is probably what happened to your last batch).

Good luck! Kelly
#135 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 PM

sakiasmom, I second the recommendation for a thermometer, but would say that it really should be 100-110. Over 110 and the good bugs start to die, along with the enzymes.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#136 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 01:25 PM

Hi guys! Oh man I hope this group gets its own subforum some day soon...

I'm returning from my wedding last weekend, where as you can imagine there was absolutely no point in maintaining any semblance of a diet. However, I still have no sweet cravings. (However my resistance to eating something sweet if it's right in front of me is gone. )

Surprisingly I found that my best friend from college is also doing this stuff, with a no-sugar no-grains diet. Oddly, she doesn't think about the whys and wherefores. So now I have an RL friend I can discuss this stuff with. I'm always shy to start talking about it because I know it's the beginning of a slippery slope, at the end of which I could become one of those people who discusses their BMs in public. (I'm not including this board as "public"... I've already brought up my BMs here anyway!) Of course I told her this and she promptly started talking about her BMs while we were walking down the street... better her than me, I guess

I took two doses of diflucan just before the wedding to get rid of some persistant thrush that had come up...

And I have started eating chicken again, leaving vegetarianism behind until I get a handle on my health. Honestly though it makes me feel gross, like I've got a rock in my stomach. So far it hasn't been organic chicken. So I dunno about that.

My first goal is to reach 90% home cooking or so. After that I will start to tinker more with my diet, but it's basically impossible to abstain from lots of stuff when I'm not really in control of what I eat. (The restaurants here don't have many healthy choices.) So I'll start out like that again. It does help me to have a restricted diet because then there are fewer overwhelming choices with what to cook, but I won't be strict about them at first. I'd also like to do a parasite test just in case, even though my ND is sure I have one and it may not show up. And I need to get religious about my supplements again--that really fell out the window.

Oh, I started making whole wheat yogurt soda bread from an anti-candida cookbook. Mmm! Not only is it yummy, but it's vastly easier to make than yeasted bread.
#137 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momandmore2
I'd recommend investing in a candy thermometer so you can be sure of the right temp. Heat the milk until it's 180 degrees, cool it to 110-115 in a sink of cold water. When the milk is cool, mix a couple of cups of it with a live yogurt starter (about ¼ cup for 4 quarts is what I use; you can probably use some from the batch you just made), then add it all back into the big pan of milk and mix well. Then divide the milk-yogurt mixture into your jugs. Then incubate at 110-115 degrees for 12-24 hours. I usually put mine in a cooler with some jars of hot water that I re-heat throughout the day, but you can put the thermometer in the oven to check the temp in there. It's very important to maintain the temperature while its incubating. Too high and you'll kill it, too low and it won't turn to yogurt (which is probably what happened to your last batch).

Good luck! Kelly
This is EXACTLY what I did. I have a cndy thermometer, and used it. That's why Im so bummed (well, as bummed as you can or should be about yogurt ). I guess Ill try again, and toss the whey. Or look up some recipe in NT to use it for, but since I cant eat whey, why do I want to mak some yummy dish and then watch others eat it? Grrrrrr. The 2c I made today have been eagerly eaten by the kids though, and that's what this is for (now I just need some for tomorrow!!!) Thanks

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#138 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I did. I have a cndy thermometer, and used it. That's why Im so bummed (well, as bummed as you can or should be about yogurt ). I guess Ill try again, and toss the whey. Or look up some recipe in NT to use it for, but since I cant eat whey, why do I want to mak some yummy dish and then watch others eat it? Grrrrrr. The 2c I made today have been eagerly eaten by the kids though, and that's what this is for (now I just need some for tomorrow!!!) Thanks
Have you been properly warned that the salton can get too hot? If you are using the plastic insert. To make perfect yogurt in mine I use a glass quart jar and no instert or cover (except for the metal cover on the canning jar). It keeps the yogurt right at 100 and makes perfect yogurt every time. There will be some extra whey whenever you make the yogurt and 1 pt of milk should make 2 cups of yogurt (1 pt=2cups) If what it gave you was softer than you expected yogurt then it came out right. This won't make yogurt like yoplait, that has additives to make it firmer.

our family is <>< and :
#139 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
My Salton is too hot also. I use a glass jar, no plastic cover and I put warm water around the glass jar.

#140 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie
Hi guys! Oh man I hope this group gets its own subforum some day soon...

I'm returning from my wedding last weekend, where as you can imagine there was absolutely no point in maintaining any semblance of a diet. However, I still have no sweet cravings. (However my resistance to eating something sweet if it's right in front of me is gone. )

Surprisingly I found that my best friend from college is also doing this stuff, with a no-sugar no-grains diet. Oddly, she doesn't think about the whys and wherefores. So now I have an RL friend I can discuss this stuff with. I'm always shy to start talking about it because I know it's the beginning of a slippery slope, at the end of which I could become one of those people who discusses their BMs in public. (I'm not including this board as "public"... I've already brought up my BMs here anyway!) Of course I told her this and she promptly started talking about her BMs while we were walking down the street... better her than me, I guess

I took two doses of diflucan just before the wedding to get rid of some persistant thrush that had come up...

And I have started eating chicken again, leaving vegetarianism behind until I get a handle on my health. Honestly though it makes me feel gross, like I've got a rock in my stomach. So far it hasn't been organic chicken. So I dunno about that.

My first goal is to reach 90% home cooking or so. After that I will start to tinker more with my diet, but it's basically impossible to abstain from lots of stuff when I'm not really in control of what I eat. (The restaurants here don't have many healthy choices.) So I'll start out like that again. It does help me to have a restricted diet because then there are fewer overwhelming choices with what to cook, but I won't be strict about them at first. I'd also like to do a parasite test just in case, even though my ND is sure I have one and it may not show up. And I need to get religious about my supplements again--that really fell out the window.

Oh, I started making whole wheat yogurt soda bread from an anti-candida cookbook. Mmm! Not only is it yummy, but it's vastly easier to make than yeasted bread.
Do you eat eggs? They are fast and easy to prepare. Also look into digestive enzymes to help digest the food/meat. Have you read the intro to Nourishing Traditions yet? It may helpp to steer you away from being a vegetarian.

Congrats on getting married!

#141 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 PM

Nolan's mum- it is my understanding that human milk has a low enough amount of proteins/fats to make it unsuitable. NOT a silly question though!

Where do you get your gelatin to make your coconut yogurt? Do you just do the grocery store stuff in the packets?
#142 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Nolan's mum- it is my understanding that human milk has a low enough amount of proteins/fats to make it unsuitable. NOT a silly question though!

Where do you get your gelatin to make your coconut yogurt? Do you just do the grocery store stuff in the packets?
I use this:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=BJ-1024
It is far cheaper than Knox at the grocery store and I think it is recommended in NT.

#143 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
This may sound weird... would there be benefits to making yogurt out of BM for DS?
I have friends on another site who have done this for kids with severe allergies that wanted to start solids. It gave them an opportunity to try eating something more solid and yet they were able to hold out introducing solids till 12 months like they wanted to for the sake of allergies.
I also know a woman who would use bm in recipes that called for milk for her dairy allergic son. (obviously she was avoiding diary herself).

our family is <>< and :
#144 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks, I'll try it out. My last attempts for the coconut yogurt failed miserably. I am going to try your recipe.
#145 of 591 Old 09-09-2006, 11:04 PM

Pattyla-that's great! I'm gonna have to try that too. I remeber reading about it not working, but I bet the people who tried it weren't pro's like some mamas here. It makes a difference!
#146 of 591 Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
I tried this and it was disgusting. You can't even use BM for kefir (that came out like baby spit-up).

I was told in one of the yogurt & kefir threads that the proteins in human milk are not the right size or conformation to congeal.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#147 of 591 Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Bluets, that's what I had read and from several different sources. Never tried it though. IT sounds like some people have actually had success though...
#148 of 591 Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the yogurt might be a possibility - i'm not the most skilled yogurt maker. however, it is almost impossible to screw up kefir - and that one i certainly do not recommend. i didn't even do a full batch of human milk, just 2-3 oz (i ran out of cow milk but had some spare human milk in the freezer). the kefir didn't separate at all and had that vile baby spitup smell.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#149 of 591 Old 09-10-2006, 04:39 PM

What is everybody's favorite dairy free starter? Are there any good ones available in brick and mortars? Also-those making coconut yogurt, do you still do the 24 hour ferment? Trying to figure out EXACTLY where I went wrong! I am SO not a yogurt person.
#150 of 591 Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
EBG

Quote:

Thanks!
I've read more negative things about GSE than positive. I know a lot of alternative medicine people use it and it should work for yeast, too. However, my understanding is that waht actually kills the yeast and bacteria is not the grapfruit seed extract itself but the chemicals in the solution. Some English newspaper had a report on it.... I think I saved the website if you're interested. Anyway, the only uncontaminated GSE didn't kill yeast.

So I don't know what to think and if it's iffy in general, I would stay away from it during pregnancy.

Somebody mentioned cloves, I think cloves (organic) and clove oil is safe. It's a mild antifungal, and also coconut oil!
But garlic is the most potent killer that is safe.

Almond milk: store bought stuff is loaded with sugar even if they try to disguise it as brown rice syrup or something.
Ricew milk, too.
You could make your own almond milk but it's a lot of work, and still very high in carbs for yeast.
Coconut milk is OK as long as there's nothing added besides trace amounts of gum. I get Native Forest at Whole Foods, and Thai Kitchen pure (small) or premium is OK, the old full fat version. Double check for ingredients because they have changed it. It should have a black top...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page