Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liver support tea recipe:

1 part echinacea root
1 part burdock root
1 part Oregon grape root
1 part yellow dock root
1 part sarsaparilla
1 part dandelion root

Use 1 heaping teaspoon of mixture per cup of tea. Simmer, cover, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Now that we are back from our trip and I can assess the damage...I gained 15 pounds in 10 days! I'm sure some of it is water weight, but wow, I can't believe I ate enough to gain that much weight! Really it's a good thing, though, since now I am back to the weight I was at when I started trying to heal my gut, which was probably too skinny to begin with. Hopefully I can hang on to some of this weight now.

TMI, but...I had major yeast-infection type itchiness come back after eating all that sugar, but after just a couple of days of the anti-candida diet it is pretty much gone again.

Oddly enough, though, I had one positive thing happen after eating all the junk--some thin silvery lines on my bottom teeth went away. I have no idea what caused them, but it seems like it must be a particular food that I'm eating since they went away when I went off my usual diet.

Magnesium question: for those who supplement with it, how much do you take? I got some yesterday because I've been getting leg cramps at night and take the recommended dose of 450 mgs...apparently that was too much as I reached bowel tolerance.
#183 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM

Ok who knows anything about colostrum and casien allergies? I'm wanting to try this with dd but after this weekend it is clear that I can't do that if it has more than a trace of milk protein in it.

This weekend I made some kefir and tried about 1/2 a cup worth. I felt fine but that night dd had her "I got something I shouldn't have" reaction at bedtime. That is the only change in my diet so I'm sure that was it. She went on to sleep horribly and have trouble getting to sleep for her nap the next day as well. :

She seems to be fine w/ butter though so I think a trace would be ok.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#184 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Ds is having a bad itchy day today. I switched enzymes a couple days ago from Virastop + Digest by Enzymedica to Thropps Elite Zyme pro. Could it be die off making him itchy? I am not experiencing any die off myself. DS is also very squirmy and a little hyper. If this is his reaction to the new enzymes does that mean they are not going to work out for us? I am taking about the same dosage as before just a different brand.

We create our own reality.
#185 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM

I'm a bit behind on this from being gone, but here are my thoughts on that link JaneS posted on the first page of this thread (the one that suggested that you don't necessarily need to eliminate foods to cure candida): after a few hours of research, I think there may be some basis to what they said, but I also think there are some things there are not entirely accurate.

For instance, I don't think fiber is necessary for good digestion. It depends on what you are eating--if you only eat good proteins and fats and have a healthy gut, you should not get constipated even if you don't eat any fiber (like the Eskimos). I also don't agree that low carb diets are damaging when pregnant or nursing--maybe if you don't eat any carbs, or the other foods you are eating aren't healthy, but otherwise they should be fine (again, the Eskimo example). Also, if you have candida overgrowth you probably have digestive issues, also, and many of the foods that are not allowed on an anti-candida diet are also very hard to digest, like grains, nuts, and (non-cultured) dairy, which isn't good for you even if they don't make candida worse.

But from stuff I've read on the candidasupport forum, and other places, it does seem that people who've had candida overgrowth tend to have difficulties when they add many new foods in, which does make me think they something more needs to be done so people can return to normalcy (a normal NT diet, not the SAD). Plus quite a few people on this forum have seen a lot of benefits from kefir, which supports the idea that you have to overwhelm the candida with good bacteria and yeast.

So this is my thought right now: the anti-candida diet I'm doing is helping, so I am going to continue it. But I don't want to be on it for a year and then realize when I try to add foods that I'm not as healed as I thought I was, so I'm going to do some "extra" stuff, also. I'm going to do the diet for a few weeks to normalize after my junk-food binge, and then I'm going to try introducing things like water kefirs and see what effect those have. I'm also going to try to introduce some of the illegal foods that are easier to digest, like buckwheat or brown rice. And I'm going to play around with pH testing and see if I think there is any validity to that theory.

This got kind of long, sorry...anyone have any thoughts on my ramblings?
#186 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Magnesium question: for those who supplement with it, how much do you take? I got some yesterday because I've been getting leg cramps at night and take the recommended dose of 450 mgs...apparently that was too much as I reached bowel tolerance.
I reach bowel tolerance w/only a little mag citrate too. Funny thing is, I get leg cramps at night when I DO take it. I know that my cal/mag balance must be out of whack so I've started taking my old cal/mag supp. which doesn't have much mag to begin with.
#187 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
So this is my thought right now: the anti-candida diet I'm doing is helping, so I am going to continue it. But I don't want to be on it for a year and then realize when I try to add foods that I'm not as healed as I thought I was, so I'm going to do some "extra" stuff, also. I'm going to do the diet for a few weeks to normalize after my junk-food binge, and then I'm going to try introducing things like water kefirs and see what effect those have. I'm also going to try to introduce some of the illegal foods that are easier to digest, like buckwheat or brown rice. And I'm going to play around with pH testing and see if I think there is any validity to that theory.

This got kind of long, sorry...anyone have any thoughts on my ramblings?
This is about where I'm at in my thinking of it. Matter of fact I've been giving dd buckwheat (only once every few weeks) and no reactions whatsoever.
Check out the tanalbit information on the last page. I'm going to add this in as well.
#188 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM

I had some leg cramping the other night too. I found a list of common foods with their magnesium content.
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food...sium-foods.htm

#189 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM

Annikate- have you thought about potassium?
#190 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM

What about dairy sensitivity with the Tanalbit?

I'm doing the ionic fizz. I can drink it 3x a day fine but if I were to drink that much all at once it wouldn't work.

With magnesium you need to build up slowly. Start taking it at night however small an ammount you need to not reach bowel tolerance. Then after a few days take that same ammount in the morning. Then increase your night dose, then the am dose by the same ammount, untill you are taking as much as you intend to. Most Americans need about 800 mg a day or more. Esp if you take supplimental calcium. I recently read that cramps in your left leg mean your calcium is off and cramps in your right leg mean your magnesium is off. (hope I got that right, I am slightly dyslexic: ) But off can mean you are getting too much or too little so you need to play arround with it to figure out your right dose.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#191 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM

Wow - that's interesting Patty. My right leg always is the one to cramp. Firefaery, I'll be thinking about potassium now. I eat a lot of bananas - - does that count?
#192 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM

I finally made an appt with the chiro/kinesiologist who is also a nutritionist. I see her tomorrow and I hope she can help me make sense of everything. If all goes well I will also take DS in to see her too.

Very interesting about which side the leg is cramping on. Mine was my left leg, I will make sure to ask tomorrow about mineral suppliments.

#193 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM

Firefaery,

The only dairy free yogurt starter I know of is ProGurt from www.GIProHealth.com

I think Custom Probiotics might have one too.

Nature's Way Reuteri has traces of milk.
#194 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 PM

FF,

What dairy free bifidus are you using for the babe?
#195 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 PM

I am reading a fascinating book called Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy by Amy L. Lansky, Ph.D. I highly, highly, highly recommend it. This woman is the mom of a formerly-autistic son who was cured by homeopathic medicine. She then became a homeopath herself.

I thought of you mamas because I read this from page 69:
Quote:
The next remedy we tried was Cocculus Indicus, the Indian cockle flower. It is well known for th treatment of people who are exhausted from nursing other family members and who tend to be overanxious about the health of others. I myself have also greatly benefited from this remedy.
Don't know about you, but this makes me want to RUN out and get some.
#196 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 11:42 PM

Annikate- IIRC strawberries and mushrooms are higher in potassium than bananas-so think about those too!
#197 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 PM

Life Start (Dairy Free) Powder

Natren

SIZE: 35g

PRICE: £ 14.95

H CODE: GGFO13738
M CODE: NP013

S CODE: NP013

I didn't know of another one....everything else has other strains. In fact I got one two weeks ago that I thought was safe, but when I went to use it I realized I was wrong. Natren Life Start Dairy Free Powder it is.
#198 of 591 Old 09-11-2006, 11:49 PM

Ugh. I just got back from getting Nature's Way reuteri to use as a starter. I'm feeling lately like I can't catch a break. :
#199 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 12:07 AM

Cademyn - I am with you on the balance in the diet. I think there is a lot of reason in the idea of giving the body a variety of good foods that compete with yeast. Something about Bee's diet feels too extreme to me. Im thinking I will try kefir too sometime this fall. Right now Im dealing with strange symptoms that Ive had off and on since I started this - its very disconcerting to have your body acting out and you're not sure if its *healing* or further invasion! I for one have had worse or unchanged symptoms since starting Bee's plan :

Ok, I have a question for a friend. Her son (3) has had a swollen lymph node in his neck for a month. He had a head cold a month ago, and the node has stayed swollen. He went to his doc, who is usually unconcerned about most stuff, and this concerned her, She wants to put him on low dose abx (dont know for how long - a week?) and then see how its going. My friend doesnt want the abx, but if the node gets bigger they'll have to drain it... I know garlic would probably be good, but how much, and how to get it into him? Any other ideas? If she does decide to do the abx, what brand of probiotics would be best to give him high doses of starting asap? How much is a high dose for a 3 yr old (example, I have primadophilus childrens and a serving is 3 billion, I think. Would that be good, but say at 10 billion/day?)

JaneS - so bifidum is one to avoid beyond infancy? So if I have a blend with it, I should switch brands?

Thanks

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#200 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 AM

Chiropractic and craniosacral therapy for the lymph nose. They will both help it to drain (as will accupunture btw) very naturally.
#201 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 AM

Hydrotherapy on the affected node (water as hot as he can stand it, then cold water) but it might be difficult to do with a 3 year old. A mini trampoline (called a rebounder) would not only be fun but should help drain. I was told the important part of the rebounder is that a person needs to get the heels lower than the toes. This can be accomplished on stairs as well. Also inversion therapy is reportedly good for draining, and this is another fun thing to do for a 3 year old--hold him upside down for awhile a couple times a day.

I just had four lymph nodes pop up in my armpit (one every other day) about a month ago, scaring the dickens out of me. I wasn't sick, didn't feel *off* or anything. The only thing that changed was that I ate about 50 garden fresh tomatoes that week. In about 10 days, they were all gone. The previous paragraph is the advice I was given. I did the hydrotherapy when possible, and I sat upside down on the couch at least once a day.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#202 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks, Ill tell her. Any others?

Firefaery - I d be interested to hear about the acid/alkaline info you're learning. Particularly (but not limited to : ), I ve heard that yeast likes an acid environment, so its good to get alkaline, but that good bugs like acid, so getting your GI acid for them is good. I spose I should worry about killing the bad guys first, and then worry about switching ph .... however you do that. Also, coffee makes one acid, yes? I mean decaf - just the bean itself causes a more acidic ph, or is it the caffiene, or both. I dont touch caffiene but I like decaf. (yeah I know it has some caf in there) Thanks mama

Also for you yeasty mamas (and/or others with thoughts) - what do you think of the small ammount of starch in pill probiotics? Do you take them, do you think the benefit of the good bugs outweighs the detriment of a tsp of "fermented soy" "rice starch" etc? I decided this week to focus more on pb's since Im doing everything else strongly (but have *only* been taking rejuvelac), so I started a pill and have had interesting results - Im trying to decipher them, and adjust my plan, particularly in light of maybe not wanting bifidum.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#203 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie
Hydrotherapy on the affected node (water as hot as he can stand it, then cold water) but it might be difficult to do with a 3 year old. A mini trampoline (called a rebounder) would not only be fun but should help drain. I was told the important part of the rebounder is that a person needs to get the heels lower than the toes. This can be accomplished on stairs as well. Also inversion therapy is reportedly good for draining, and this is another fun thing to do for a 3 year old--hold him upside down for awhile a couple times a day.

I just had four lymph nodes pop up in my armpit (one every other day) about a month ago, scaring the dickens out of me. I wasn't sick, didn't feel *off* or anything. The only thing that changed was that I ate about 50 garden fresh tomatoes that week. In about 10 days, they were all gone. The previous paragraph is the advice I was given. I did the hydrotherapy when possible, and I sat upside down on the couch at least once a day.
Here's a great tip from our craniosacral therapist that you can do on your own:
Find the soft part behind the clavicle and gently do little "bounces" with the pad of your fingertip. Our therapist calls it the trampoline. She taught me how to do and and taught dd1 too.

This helps with healing, with lymph drainage, with teething . . . all kinds of things. Do it as often as you can without it being annoying. If the child doensn't like it then just rub gently downward instead of "bouncing".

I guarantee it'll help.
#204 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Okay, here's maybe a silly question:

DD's CDSA shows nothing for candida but she obviously has yeast/fungus issues since the following are off the charts:
gamma haemolytic streptococcus
alpha haemolytic streptococcus
citrobacter freindii
morganella morganii
enterobacter cloacae
klebsiella oxytoca
klebsiella pneumoniae

In researching these I've found that the things that work on these talk about these things like they are yeast.

Are they?

Are there different types of yeast besides just candida? And, if so, will the anti-candida diet work for these?
#205 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
This is about where I'm at in my thinking of it. Matter of fact I've been giving dd buckwheat (only once every few weeks) and no reactions whatsoever.
Check out the tanalbit information on the last page. I'm going to add this in as well.
I thought tanalbit wasn't safe for BF'ing...or did I mis-read that?
#206 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 AM

firefaery--do you know of anything that's good for colon cleansing besides enemas or cleanses? A lot of the candida programs I've seen recommend one or the other, but I was wondering if there's other ways to cleanse the colon besides doing those. Or do you think healing the gut will naturally cleanse the colon? Also, what do you think of gallbladder cleanses?
#207 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM

On the run-I'll be back.

Gall Bladder cleanses are fabulous

There are many kinds of yeast-candida is only one.
#208 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok who knows anything about colostrum and casien allergies? I'm wanting to try this with dd but after this weekend it is clear that I can't do that if it has more than a trace of milk protein in it.

This weekend I made some kefir and tried about 1/2 a cup worth. I felt fine but that night dd had her "I got something I shouldn't have" reaction at bedtime. That is the only change in my diet so I'm sure that was it. She went on to sleep horribly and have trouble getting to sleep for her nap the next day as well. :

She seems to be fine w/ butter though so I think a trace would be ok.
My understanding with kefir is that the microbes break down the lactose during the first 12-24 hours and then they revert to breaking down casein (or maybe it's the reverse?). Anyway, after 24-48 hours, kefir is much much more digestible than milk (for those with intolerances).

I'd suggest letting it ferment with grains longer, then letting it continue to ferment for half day (or even a full day) once you've removed the grains.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#209 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I used to need 2 tsp late in the afternoon, AND an epsom salt bath. Now I only need 1 tsp occasionally (but still the epsom salt bath). I suggest starting out with low doses and gradually bumping up.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#210 of 591 Old 09-12-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I thought tanalbit wasn't safe for BF'ing...or did I mis-read that?
Pls. lmk if you remember where you read that. I was thinking of giving it to dd directly - though she is still b'feeding.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page