chronic loose stools in dd - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a site where I can go to get info on what a normal childs stool should look like? Since she was a baby, 5 y.o. dd's stools have been on the very loose side. not normally formed like I am used to seeing. Could this be normal for her? Or is this something that I should do something about? Such as put a lot of emphasis on high fiber in her diet? She doesn't really complain about how she feels or anything. She looks like a normal child. I don't want to let this go though and have her have problems with her colon later on in life. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Editing to add: I thought that maybe dd did not have enough fiber in her diet and so in turn not enough bulk, but a website I visited says children should have their age plus 5 to determine the amount in grams for recommended daily fiber. so for my dd that is 10 grams. She eats fruit everyday. Whole grains, and some veggies every day so i don't think she is lacking fiber. What else could it be???

~Married to Hubby for 15 years~
Mama to 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and #6 due in May!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nutritionist said that a normal BM (I am assuming this goes for kids too) is like toothpaste coming out of the tube. Very soft and very slightly formed. She said most peolple think it is normal to have very hard stools.

Jennifer

Love your neighbor. Say yes to vax.
#3 of 3 Old 09-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If her stools truly are too loose, it can be a bacteria imbalance in her colon. Probiotics would help this. Sometimes the body tries to get rid of bad bacteria by flushing it out. Healthy bacteria will restore the proper balance. (Sometimes there will be very loose stools for a few days while the body is getting rid of the bad stuff.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page